Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NaNoWriMo 2007

Read 15012 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: NaNoWriMo 2007
      Reply #23: Nov 01, 2007 01:02:54 am
      Good luck lads!! I personally think you's will do very well if you's get into it. If only I had the patience....
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #24: Nov 01, 2007 02:29:59 am
      Ok have made a start...mine is a free form style plot that will grow from an initial scene I had in my mind for the beginning. Total fiction...

guys don't worry the people running this don't read your finished piece. If you want a 'winner' certificate at the end of November you must have written 50k+ words & submitted it to their site...subject can be anything as long as its your own words!

Don not make the mistake of trying to edit your work...do that after just get those words out!

364 words in so far...off to bed now!

Good luck all!
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #25: Nov 01, 2007 08:42:54 am
      Ok have made a start...mine is a free form style plot that will grow from an initial scene I had in my mind for the beginning. Total fiction...

Hey you stole my idea ;)
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #26: Nov 01, 2007 10:25:45 am
      Guys have you selected your area on the site? Let me know & what your name is & I'll add you as writing buddies... ;)
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #27: Nov 01, 2007 11:02:55 am
      Guys have you selected your area on the site? Let me know & what your name is & I'll add you as writing buddies... ;)

Will get round to it in a bit mate.

Just finished my first page, only 174 to go!
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #28: Nov 01, 2007 11:10:07 am
      Will get round to it in a bit mate.

Just finished my first page, only 174 to go!

nice one Eddie! Here's an excerpt from my first 600 odd words of Black Canvas...

The cold wisp of an winter morning hurried past the motionless figure. Wearing only a hospital gown the shape of the body could be made out through the flimsy garment. Weather it had rained through the night or not there was no sign of water on the ground that the body rested on but this garment that dressed the lifeless figure was soaked through.

A damp piece of note paper worked it’s way free from the body’s half clench fist and followed the path that the breeze had given life to. It moved only ever so slightly, coming to rest almost immediately against the highly polished shoe of Gideon.

For a second Gideon didn’t move but almost willed the paper to be blown suddenly away before he could reach down and read what he already knew to be written. Reaching down with a gloved hand Gideon removed the limp note from his shoe and raised it to his face.

“
was this worth your life?” Gideon asked to no one in particular. Slowly lowing his hand, a sigh left his lips. He could see the body clearer now. The shot from his gun had been louder than he had expected and surprisingly he hadn’t had to fire it again as the suspect had fallen straight away.

Gideon took a few laboured steps towards his prey. He could feel that he was sure to have some broken ribs as each breath caused him to inhale sharply from the pain. A flash of light caught Gideon of guard making him stumble, lowering his head in reflex to the unbearable light ahead of him.

And with that movement the light had gone. Gideon paused and held his ribs, crouching and breathing hard he looked up towards the source of the light
where the body had been.

“..huh?”

The hospital gown now lay empty on the spot. Gideon looked down, the note in his hand was alight with an orange glow of dying embers that were making the paper, ash which crumbled from his hand. The light breeze scattered it’s remains in a weak arc to the ground.

Gideon dropped to his knees and placed his face to the ground.

5 days earlier

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #29: Nov 01, 2007 11:18:57 am
      Very good DM, definitely got me interested. Here's my first page:

The judge’s voice boomed out across the courtroom:

‘Have you reached a decision on which you are all agreed?’

‘Yes your honour, we have.’

Right, here we go, moment of truth time. One simple word that effectively decides whether my life is over or not:

‘On the count of murder, do you find the defendant guilty, or not guilty?’

Please God, please. I know I’ve got away with a lot of stuff I did do, but you know I didn’t do this one. Please let this one decision go my way and I promise you won’t be seeing me in this court again.

‘Guilty.’

Bollocks.

Well screw you God, thanks a whole bunch. Should’ve known not to bother asking, it’s not like you’ve exactly helped me out in the past is it? I look at the jury. How the hell could they misinterpret the evidence put in front of them so badly? Surely any fool could see that I had to do what I did or I’d be the one lying dead now. 12 men and women who have sealed my fate, now get to walk out of that door and carry on with their lives as if nothing happened. I want to scream at them, make them see what a mistake they’ve made, but I’ve been here enough times before to know there’s nothing you can do to reverse the decision, a verdict is a verdict. I’m guilty, or at least in their eyes I am, and that’s that. Life sentence here we come.

The judge ordered the guards to take me down. One of them, Dave, gave me a gentle pat on the back as they lead me away. He’s sound Dave is, well as sound as a screw can be anyway. He never seemed to look down on us like most of the screws did, always had a friendly word to say. That’s the attitude more of them should take, but most of the sick bas**rds like nothing more than to kick a man when he’s down, sad really. They obviously don’t have the balls to pick on someone who can fight back so they pick on us poor sods whilst hiding behind their uniforms and their panic alarms. Can never have a straight one on one with these bas**rds.

‘I suppose you’ll want one of these.’

Dave pulled a packet of cigarettes out of his pocket. Damn right I wanted one, bit of a stupid question really. Even if I’d never smoked in my life I think I would have wanted one at that precise moment. As I puffed away on the cigarette I tried to think, to get things straight in my mind, but it wasn’t happening. I just wanted my head to stop spinning, to get some feeling bad. To shout & scream, to cry, even to laugh. I just wanted some sort of emotion to come out of me, but there was nothing. I finished my cigarette and Dave took me back to my cell, the cell I’d sat in a hundred times before, and my name was etched in the door to prove it. I thought of all the times I’d been sat in the exact same spot, laughing after getting a couple of months for one misdemeanour or another. Laughing because the silly bas**rds thought they could actually hurt me by banging me up for such a pathetic amount of time. It meant nothing to me, I could handle a bit of bird, but this was different. This was gonna be a life sentence.

DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #30: Nov 01, 2007 11:23:40 am
      good intro mate...are you finding it easy to get the words flowing?...doesn't seem to be too hard but I think keeping up a daily routine will be the hardest part.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #31: Nov 01, 2007 11:25:39 am
      I seem to be ok at the moment, but I already had the intro planned in my head. I think once I get to the bit I haven't thought about yet the words might start drying up.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #32: Nov 01, 2007 11:36:46 am
      Well I am trying to let the writing lead me. I had a little idea about the main character but as i have written he has taken on a darker more sinister role than I had expected but I can imagine this wont be the last surprise from the whole experience.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #33: Nov 01, 2007 02:17:34 pm
      Eddie and DMOsbon 8)

Well done you two, read your first pages, pretty good, come on I can't wait for the next bit!!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #34: Nov 01, 2007 09:18:04 pm
      Great writing guys, cant wait for the next episodes, you've got me hooked already  ;) :D 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #35: Nov 02, 2007 12:41:07 am
      This thread is absolutely quality!  I really haven't got the time/imagination/patience but those two intro's are both very intriguing.

I'm looking forward to the 'romantic' involvement in your stories!

I hope the NoNaWrMo site won't pinch your ideas, and when you've got nationwide midnight openings at Waterstones remember me eh!
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #36: Nov 02, 2007 12:50:55 am
      This thread is absolutely quality!  I really haven't got the time/imagination/patience but those two intro's are both very intriguing.

I'm looking forward to the 'romantic' involvement in your stories!

I hope the NoNaWrMo site won't pinch your ideas, and when you've got nationwide midnight openings at Waterstones remember me eh!

Cheers JD! Just off to add some more words...funny you say 'romantic' as I have been pondering if I should have any in what I am writing...hmmm :f_brokenheart:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #37: Nov 02, 2007 01:02:04 am
      Cheers JD! Just off to add some more words...funny you say 'romantic' as I have been pondering if I should have any in what I am writing...hmmm :f_brokenheart:

Got to appeal to the mass market - even Harry Potter's hormones start getting to him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #38: Nov 02, 2007 01:05:08 am
      Just been having a read on that site... picked out some classic lines in the 'About' section

Because of the limited writing window..It's all about quantity, not quality

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing.

Why: To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

Good luck everyone - I'll be keeping my eye on your work.  Now get off the forum and get writing all that...crap! ;)
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #39: Nov 04, 2007 11:13:47 am
      Am 3166 words along now...things are going well with the plot etc. I will be making updates here but also on my blog, just posted an update there with a further excerpt ;)
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #40: Nov 07, 2007 03:10:44 pm
      Most recent post so far, am up to 6500 words now & should be at the 10k mark tonight...how are you guys getting on Eddie C, Glenbuck?

Posted via Sweet Flag:

http://sweetflag.wordpress.com/2007/11/04/nanowrimo-2007-update-3166-words/

b]NaNoWriMo 2007 update - 3166 words[/b]

Day four out of 30.

I have a title for my novel, Black Canvas & some plot.

What I have discovered about writing this way is it gives you an incredible sense of freedom to go anywhere & have your characters do anything.

A number of the characters I have introduced had a profile and a outline but once they began to get involved in the story, their characters began to develop in ways I hadn’t imagined.

At present the unnamed ‘hero’ of the story is looking to become a very cold anti-hero and I am letting the story run with that. I am not editing anything that is written, with my writing sessions becoming more like free form writing, although I am correcting grammar to a point.

My ideas & plot change very quickly in Black Canvas land, here’s an excerpt

[page 4/6]

Jacque felt uneasy with the amount of Tracers that had turned up on his doorstep. He had expected one or two sure but for five to be here in his café gave him a feeling that there was something more going on than just his wife going missing.

The Tracers sat and stood around a lit fireplace in the single room away from the main café that only Jacque had the key to. His fingerprint alone would activate the door to this secret room. They had been discussing operating parameters amongst themselves for about 10 minutes but to Jacque the dialogue meant very little. Jacque stood away from the Tracers, just giving them the slightest of glances every now and again.

Why 5? He kept thinking to himself. The number was too great for something like a missing persons. He took a sip of his now warm whiskey and winced. Looking at his glass he decided that it needed some ice and walked towards a small ice bucket at the desk in the corner of the room. As he did so one of the Tracers, the only woman of the group, walked over to him. Jacque placed two ice cubes into his glass.

“Would you like a drink?” Jacque asked without looking. The female shock her head, “Not while on duty
are you sure you should be drinking?” At this Jacque did turn her way giving her a short lived smile he brought the glass to his lips and took a slow drag on the whiskey.

“It’s not everyday
” Jacque was interrupted.
      “
but this isn’t the first time she has gone missing is it, Jacque?” Questioned the female Tracer.
      “What’s your name? I don’t think I caught it the first time.” Jacque knew she hadn’t offered her name to him. None of the Tracers had.

The female Tracer took her time to make a reply, “Rachel”. A lie I’m sure thought Jacque, she won’t give me anything to go on then

Rachel looked back over to the Tracer group by the fireplace, “Look we will find your wife, don’t worry but you need to tell us everything that has been going on before today.” She turned her head back to face Jacque, who had placed his glass down on the desk. He took a moment before answering, it surprised him what words came from his mouth, “I’m not convinced that she is missing
”

Where did that come from? thought Jacque, I was thinking that but I’m sure as hell didn’t mean to say it! Rachel didn’t look surprised at his outburst, instead she asked “What makes you think so, Jacque?”

Jacque began to feel an intense pressure to speak his mind more. He began to catch words in his throat before he could utter them. His head began to swim, surely they can’t have spiked my drink Jacque thought, there’s been no time.

“Jacque!” There was a shout from within the main area of the cafĂ©. Rachel took a step back from the now confused Jacque and began to shake his head in small movements from side to side. A member of the Tracer group moved toward the exit of the secret room but Jacque called out to him.

“It’s OK, I’ll get rid of him
just the local drunk.” Jacque moved himself sluggishly towards the exit but the Tracer didn’t move. Jacque looked at him, “two minutes” he said firmly although he was sure it wasn’t the local drunk as the one he knew had died recently.

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #41: Nov 09, 2007 02:18:31 pm
      Unfortunately due to having computer problems & relocating at work, I have had to pull out of NaNoWriMo 2007.

I've ended up so far behind that I have no chance of catching up, maybe next year  ;)
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #42: Nov 09, 2007 02:46:14 pm
      Sorry to hear that Eddie...good to hear you are up for it next year, nice one!

How you doing Glenbuck ???
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #43: Nov 18, 2007 12:28:25 pm
      Well got 10k words written but no way am I going to reach 50k by the 30th...good experience all in all. How did others get on?

http://sweetflag.wordpress.com/2007/11/18/nanowrimo-2007-update-10000-words/

NaNoWriMo 2007 update - 10,000 words

Day 18 of 30.

I haven't written anything now for 9 days & can safely say I'm out of the running to complete the 50k words by the end of the month.

It has been a good experience for my writing, it's stretched me in ways I may not have done without a push of a time scale & has given me a 10k word rough for a story which I can now add to in my own time.

Of course it's a shame that I couldn't keep pace with the 1500 words per day needed & I knew it would probably be too much for me at the start but I didn't let that stop me from trying. With 12 days left until the end of NaNoWrimo there's just not enough time to write 40k words.

Would I try again? Hmm maybe. If in a years time my typing is that much faster & I have the same time to spare then I would consider it again.

Here's an excerpt from Black Canvas:

[page 6-8/15]

Scarlett, London

It was early morning. Scarlett had had a busy night the night before. A long journey to Vienna & back to sort a problem there that was unfortunate. Too unwind she liked to run the morning after flying for such a distance. It cleared her mind and sometimes it felt like it washed away the previous events from her soul.

Scarlett knew she was different from other girls while still a teenager. She had now lived with her abilities for 10 years and in that 10 years she had found a number of different feats that she could achieve that no human known to history should be able to attempt let alone do. Flying was the first but in her ’teens she could only levitate about 5 feet from the floor and something she kept as a party trick for her family.

That family were no more. Scarlett had survived them all but the circumstances surrounding their deaths were still very unclear. At the time Scarlett was little older than 14 and the family of four had been travelling back from a cruise holiday. The last destination before returning home had been Bermuda, a lovely island that the whole family had fallen in love with and had planned to return to for a long stay in the future. Upon departure from the Island and not more than an hour out at sea, the four of them, mother father and two daughters had been on deck taking in the view before making their way back to their cabin for the night. A man and woman had approached them from almost out of nowhere and began to make compliments of the two sisters. The woman had knelt on one knee to take a closer look at Scarlett while the man had carried on speaking to the mother and father.

Scarlett had felt uncomfortable at this strangers approach and backed a little behind her fathers side. At which the strange woman had tried to pull her back away from him in an aggressive way. From that point on Scarlett remembers very little, only pieces of this memory surface even now. She remembers her father telling the mother and girls to head back to the cabin and the sound of gun shots, many shots. Scarlett had closed her eyes and covered her ears at the sound. Screaming and shouting and more shots and when Scarlett had opened her eyes she was so high in the sky the cruise ship below her looked like the size of a car. With her ears still covered she began to scream as she hovered in mid air. Then everything went blank to her but upon waking found herself being collected from the sea by a rescue boat. She never saw her family alive again.

The official report on the murders was two assailants had planned to kidnap the family or at least the sisters from the cruise ship before leaving Bermuda. Their plan had gone astray and then attempted it while at sea. A waiting escape boat had been picked up and the crew arrested but the man and woman that had killed Scarlett's family had simply vanished from the cruise ship without a trace.

Scarlett had returned to the UK after a week back in Bermuda while the authorities from there and the UK had tried to work out what had happened and what to do with a teenage girl left totally alone by the killers.

Life was harder on Scarlett for the next few years. She developed more abilities that she hid from everyone, as she had believed that her family had died because they knew what she could do and blame herself for their deaths.

At 24 Scarlett was now a different commodity altogether. Self reliant, headstrong and always busy. She had friends but she kept most at a distance that felt comfortable. A serious relationship? Not to be considered in the life Scarlett knew.

Her morning would now be spent on her local run along the South Bank. It was a good run along the river Thames that allowed her time to sooth the mind from her work. Being a bounty hunter to rich, high profile clients had many perks but it was also tough for Scarlett to justify to herself on occasions. To keep herself sane doing the most mundane task helped.

After her run she would shower and then have a light breakfast before heading to meet up with a client where she would be paid in full. This will be the last job of the year, she thought to herself, then a trip to somewhere hot.

The weather was milder than normal for London at this time of year and it made for ideal running conditions. The route she took would allow her to pick up a paper and some milk, everything was quietly routine for Scarlett but as with anything in her life she looked to always balance out the large amounts of her time dealing with the bizarre with any ordinary times she could get.

At the newsstand a friendly voice call out to Scarlett, “Hey beautiful, don’t forget me!”

Scarlett slowed and looked up to realise she had run past her favourite stop on the way back to her flat, George’s Kiosk. With a brief smile Scarlett walked over to the booth, where a bald bearded George sat. He waved her paper in a friendly way to her and asked, “You have much on your mind, it is not a man I am hoping?!”

George always hit on her but his Greek accent always lifted her spirits in the early morning as he was always cheerful and always in his kiosk. As Scarlett neared the outstretched paper a sharp breeze caught one of the tabloid papers which opened and then blew off the kiosk counter. As it landed, unfolded Scarlett was caught by a headline,

Vienna: French diplomat in hiding, shocked to his death!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #44: Nov 18, 2007 06:49:11 pm
      sh*t I forgot all about this I was gonna start it late anyway but I guess I'm well out now :( ah well

Quick Reply