Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

UEFA Super Cup: Liverpool v Chelsea. 14 August KO 20:00 BST

Read 37376 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: UEFA Super Cup: Liverpool v Chelsea. 14 August KO 20:00 BST
      Reply #46: Aug 12, 2019 03:32:03 pm
      I'd like to see Matip & Keita feature in this game.
      Think Matip would make the team more solid and Keita or Ox would give a bit more from midfield.

Interesting you should say this, as I've been looking at our defense.

Gomez is quick.
      Very quick, and as a result of that, is much keener to step forwards, knowing he has superb recovery pace.
      The problem is that it upsets the line, and has a knock on effect.
      The first knock on effect, is that VVD (quite naturally) wants to keep the line straight, and so goes to step up in line with Gomez, but he also knows that the line is getting too close to the midfield, and that gives the opposition a jumbled line to play through instead of 2 banks.

The second knock on effect, is that as well as upsetting the line, it leaves a hole behind Gomez so it becomes difficult to support TAA, and he regularly gets targetted, so this becomes an issue, becuse Gomez is also stepping up into midfield territory (see above) and slightly disrupting our defensive (MF) options.

It's not a major issue, and is one that will soon be eradicated as Gomez gets more playing time, and gets back in sync with his defensive colleagues.

Matip, on the other hand is very good at holding the line, along with VVD.
      He only really steps up to break opposition lines with one of his runs, when there is plenty of space in front of him, which allows a CM to come in behind and cover until he gets back in position.

Persnally, I'd probably keep going with Gomez, because that's how he will get it right sooner.
      He has not played much (apart from training) with Fabinho in front of him (or to the side etc), so he needs to get used to Fabinho's style, in which he is very good at floating across the space in front of the CB's, to snuff out threats.
      In other words, stop getting in his F***ing space.  :laugh:

It's just early season teething toubles.
      All very minor and easily fixed.

On Friday, it ws very noticeable, how in the second half, we used a press to push the opposition attackers onto the other flank, taking the pressure off Gomez and TAA and letting VVD and Robertson bear the brunt of the defensive work, leaving TAa much more leeway to attack, without getting ganged up on.

As regards the Super Cup, no Hazard, a defensive liability in Zouma, a team getting used to a different style of play, all means I think we can turn them over.
      I don't think it will be easy, but I think we have more than enough to get the result we wnt.
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2019 03:39:06 pm by Swab »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #47: Aug 12, 2019 03:35:36 pm
      If it's on the wall, it's not a friendly

Correct.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #48: Aug 12, 2019 03:51:44 pm
      If we were playing a proper european team losing would not be as bad but Chelsea,that's a F***ing dirty handwasher. Games is on TNT in USA so aiming for a pub watch.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #49: Aug 12, 2019 04:06:25 pm
      After getting that f***in monkey off our backs I expect and want us to become proper Greedy bas**rds and win every bit of silverware on offer, now I don't give a shiny sh*te what or who our opponents are, they are simply in our f***in way and we need to deal with them accordingly,  for me that's to Gegenpress the actual sh*te out of them and be utterly and totally f***in ruthless, 

My Greedy bas**rds for Wednesday are.....
                              Adrian
             Trent Gomez Virgil Robbo
                 Hendo Fabinho Keita
                  Salah  Firmino  Mane

If you haven't already noticed the pro Manchester media are w*nk festing over City and Scum after only 90+mins, it seems that we are not going to trip the light fantastic in their eyes, So let's give them something to think about by upping our already European prestige by winning this Trophy,
      Can't see Lamps kids giving us too much bother....

4-0 European Champions

YNWA

Billy, you should be a manager. Every time I read your posts I'm ready to run through a brick wall!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #50: Aug 12, 2019 05:08:03 pm
      Billy, you should be a manager. Every time I read your posts I'm ready to run through a brick wall!

Thanks mate, Jürgen rings me every week 😉😁

YNWA
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #51: Aug 12, 2019 05:59:29 pm
      How big of a game is it really? Not wanting to put a dampener on it but it’s a European Community Shield. Of course I’d like us to win but I wouldn’t swap it for a win at Saints next weekend. I hope Jürgen rotates the squad to ensure we’re ready for Saints. I’d like see Keita and Milner play in the midfield and would not be surprised to see Gomez at right back with Matio coming in.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #52: Aug 12, 2019 06:02:07 pm
      How big of a game is it really? Not wanting to put a dampener on it but it’s a European Community Shield. Of course I’d like us to win but I wouldn’t swap it for a win at Saints next weekend. I hope Jürgen rotates the squad to ensure we’re ready for Saints. I’d like see Keita and Milner play in the midfield and would not be surprised to see Gomez at right back with Matio coming in.

If it's freshness we want, give Hoever a debut at right back and let Gomez rest as well.

I don't expect more than 1 or 2 changes though.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #53: Aug 12, 2019 06:33:41 pm
      If it's freshness we want, give Hoever a debut at right back and let Gomez rest as well.

I don't expect more than 1 or 2 changes though.

I did wonder whether Hoever might get a look in but like you say, I think it will be 2-3 changes.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #54: Aug 12, 2019 06:41:34 pm
      Not wanting to put a dampener on it but it’s a European Community Shield.

Little bit more prestigious than that, plus English opposition, so definitely want to win.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #55: Aug 12, 2019 07:29:14 pm
      Amazed by some of the I don't care if we win comments.

We should aim to win every game and we qualified for this by winning the biggest one.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #56: Aug 12, 2019 07:44:15 pm
      Hope we eff em up ;D
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #57: Aug 12, 2019 08:09:09 pm
      I think it’s really important to win this
      Keep the momentum going.
      Keep the mentality of success in finals and adding more silverware.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #58: Aug 12, 2019 08:38:28 pm
      I think it’s really important to win this
      Keep the momentum going.
      Keep the mentality of success in finals and adding more silverware.

Was just thinking this
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #59: Aug 12, 2019 08:45:11 pm
      Amazed by some of the I don't care if we win comments.

We should aim to win every game and we qualified for this by winning the biggest one.

I don’t think anyone has said that they don’t care if we win. I want to win the game, be great to stick another trophy next to Big Ears in the team photo, absolutely. And great to turn over a domestic rival in the process. However take the feeling of losing on Wednesday night and compare it to the feeling of losing next Saturday and the two don’t quite compare.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #60: Aug 12, 2019 08:57:54 pm
      It’s a friendly at the end of the day , another UEFA Corp money making exercise. Not bothered about it either way

I don't know, i think for us if the Sisters of Immaculate Charity were to hold a friendly i want VVD elbowing the abbess to win the chalice.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #61: Aug 12, 2019 09:24:06 pm
      Good opportunity to spank the chavs earning another piece of silverware, friendly or no friendly.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #62: Aug 12, 2019 10:19:11 pm
      Interesting you should say this, as I've been looking at our defense.

Gomez is quick.
      Very quick, and as a result of that, is much keener to step forwards, knowing he has superb recovery pace.
      The problem is that it upsets the line, and has a knock on effect.
      The first knock on effect, is that VVD (quite naturally) wants to keep the line straight, and so goes to step up in line with Gomez, but he also knows that the line is getting too close to the midfield, and that gives the opposition a jumbled line to play through instead of 2 banks.

The second knock on effect, is that as well as upsetting the line, it leaves a hole behind Gomez so it becomes difficult to support TAA, and he regularly gets targetted, so this becomes an issue, becuse Gomez is also stepping up into midfield territory (see above) and slightly disrupting our defensive (MF) options.

It's not a major issue, and is one that will soon be eradicated as Gomez gets more playing time, and gets back in sync with his defensive colleagues.

Matip, on the other hand is very good at holding the line, along with VVD.
      He only really steps up to break opposition lines with one of his runs, when there is plenty of space in front of him, which allows a CM to come in behind and cover until he gets back in position.

Persnally, I'd probably keep going with Gomez, because that's how he will get it right sooner.
      He has not played much (apart from training) with Fabinho in front of him (or to the side etc), so he needs to get used to Fabinho's style, in which he is very good at floating across the space in front of the CB's, to snuff out threats.
      In other words, stop getting in his F***ing space.  :laugh:

It's just early season teething toubles.
      All very minor and easily fixed.

On Friday, it ws very noticeable, how in the second half, we used a press to push the opposition attackers onto the other flank, taking the pressure off Gomez and TAA and letting VVD and Robertson bear the brunt of the defensive work, leaving TAa much more leeway to attack, without getting ganged up on.

As regards the Super Cup, no Hazard, a defensive liability in Zouma, a team getting used to a different style of play, all means I think we can turn them over.
      I don't think it will be easy, but I think we have more than enough to get the result we wnt.

Agreed. Gomez has ridiculous recovery pace, and it saved us early on last season.
      Just my thoughts on giving Adrian a bit more protection.

Like you said, they managed the danger down the left second half.
      TAA & Gomez push the team higher up the pitch with all the positives that brings in pressing and attacking.
      For the next few games though, I'd rather see Matip.
      Wouldn't be surprised if they rotate though when the games stack up.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #63: Aug 12, 2019 10:30:01 pm
      I don't know, i think for us if the Sisters of Immaculate Charity were to hold a friendly i want VVD elbowing the abbess to win the chalice.

Those nuns have a Habit of doing that.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #64: Aug 12, 2019 10:44:45 pm
      Those nuns have a Habit of doing that.

Reminds me of that film i saw on the horror channel: nude nuns with big guns. Did exactly what it said on the tin.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #65: Aug 12, 2019 11:38:26 pm
      Reminds me of that film i saw on the horror channel: nude nuns with big guns. Did exactly what it said on the tin.

Reminds me of sister Kevin at sts Peter and Paul. She had massive forearms and a formidable moustache. If my hair was too long she'd pull it...hard.

Which in turn reminds me of the super Cup.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #66: Aug 12, 2019 11:53:20 pm
      Let's get back into the habit of winning silverware.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #67: Aug 13, 2019 12:26:55 am
      We need the silverware.  There are 2 pieces of silverware available this year we need to get at least 1 of them. 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #68: Aug 13, 2019 12:29:54 am
      Huge game in my mind, and I'm sure the lads will be well up for this!

Quick Reply