UEFA Super Cup: Liverpool v Chelsea. 14 August KO 20:00 BST

Read 37382 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: UEFA Super Cup: Liverpool v Chelsea. 14 August KO 20:00 BST
      Reply #69: Aug 13, 2019 02:06:00 am
      A trophy on offer  you say...well hell yeah we wanna win it. We play every game to win. I hate losing any game, so should the lads.

Was thinking it will be easy after hearing they got 4 put past them at The Toilet but on watching the highlights, they were quite dangerous and quick and if it wasn't for the crossbar and that Werewolf looking c**t, they could have easily been 4-1 up at HT, so I'm not writing these jammy bas**rds off.

Let's just go to one of favorite places in the World and bring home another piece of Silverware!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #70: Aug 13, 2019 06:40:39 am
      If it's freshness we want, give Hoever a debut at right back and let Gomez rest as well.

I don't expect more than 1 or 2 changes though.

wow kick in balls for trent and gomez, dropped for a pup in one of the most prestigious finals there is.

No chance any of the really young u23 guys will play, we have no injuries apart from Ali, so plenty senior squad guys to rotate, but trent will start probably with matip, I can see matip, trent rotating a lot this season.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #71: Aug 13, 2019 06:44:42 am
      manu & chelsea only have 1 super cup, this would put us on 4, another notch confirming us as top European royalty.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #72: Aug 13, 2019 08:03:53 am
      How big of a game is it really? Not wanting to put a dampener on it but it’s a European Community Shield. Of course I’d like us to win but I wouldn’t swap it for a win at Saints next weekend. I hope Jürgen rotates the squad to ensure we’re ready for Saints. I’d like see Keita and Milner play in the midfield and would not be surprised to see Gomez at right back with Matio coming in.

Freshness?? they've only played 1 game so far. BTW if you think this is mickey mouse then maybe let the club know as they have it proudly displayed on their honours board, how embarassing for them!!!
      As for me I'd gladly take a loss against Southampton to win another piece of silverware, especially against the Chav Rentboys!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #73: Aug 13, 2019 08:05:55 am
      Reminds me of that film i saw on the horror channel: nude nuns with big guns. Did exactly what it said on the tin.

film or dream ;-)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #74: Aug 13, 2019 10:55:03 am
      Lonergan is in the 23 man squad:

Fabinho, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gomez, Adrian, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lonergan, Shaqiri, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Matip, Hoever, Kelleher, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott.

Lovren out "due to illness"

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/360294-confirmed-liverpool-squad-super-cup-chelsea
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #75: Aug 13, 2019 11:37:24 am
      Agreed. Gomez has ridiculous recovery pace, and it saved us early on last season.
      Just my thoughts on giving Adrian a bit more protection.

Like you said, they managed the danger down the left second half.
      TAA & Gomez push the team higher up the pitch with all the positives that brings in pressing and attacking.
      For the next few games though, I'd rather see Matip.
      Wouldn't be surprised if they rotate though when the games stack up.

I can deinitely see the merits of having Matip in.
      Just personal choice I guess.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #76: Aug 13, 2019 11:52:59 am
      I can deinitely see the merits of having Matip in.
      Just personal choice I guess.

Definitely. It's probably a higher risk / higher reward scenario if you put Gomez in the back line.
      Leaves the other team a lot of space to attack, unless you can funnel their attack (Not always possible).
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #77: Aug 13, 2019 12:19:09 pm
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #78: Aug 13, 2019 12:53:20 pm
      Definitely. It's probably a higher risk / higher reward scenario if you put Gomez in the back line.
      Leaves the other team a lot of space to attack, unless you can funnel their attack (Not always possible).

I like Gomez mostly for his pace.
      It means VVD doesn't have to do all the chasing down, and we have real pace right across the backline.

I do think Matip is a better defender though (at the moment), and it does seem a bit unfair to bench him after his performances last season.
      No doubt about it, the lad was a rock, and seems to have got stronger as well.
      I'm not saying Matip is slow; he's quicker than people think, but he's not up there in the Gomez/VVD bracket.

To be honest, I'd have no issues with Matip as our main starter.
      I just like seeing young defenders come through.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #79: Aug 13, 2019 01:01:58 pm
      It means VVD doesn't have to do all the chasing down, and we have real pace right across the backline.

I do think Matip is a better defender though (at the moment), and it does seem a bit unfair to bench him after his performances last season.
      I'm not saying Matip is slow; he's quicker than people think, but he's not up there in the Gomez/VVD bracket.

I think Klopp wants to start as he did last season with Gomez and VVD. I can't deny that Matip did the business last season but he was there to deputise for Joe. I do feel for Matip but I think Klopp sees Joe and VVD as his first choice.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #80: Aug 13, 2019 01:04:22 pm
      I think Klopp wants to start as he did last season with Gomez and VVD. I can't deny that Matip did the business last season but he was there to deputise for Joe. I do feel for Matip but I think Klopp sees Joe and VVD as his first choice.

Plus we don’t see the training sessions, I can imagine Gomez is continuing to impress. I love Matip and the fact is all 3 will get significant game time this season.

Superb central defenders
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #81: Aug 13, 2019 01:05:39 pm

No doubt that, up until his injury setback, Gomez was 1st choice for Klopp as Virgil's partner.
      Comes down to preference really. With Alisson I wouldn't mind, but with Adrian I'd like to see Matip in the side just to be more solid.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #82: Aug 13, 2019 01:26:59 pm
                                 ADRIAN

TTA      GOMES    VVD     Robbo

FAB

HENDO         KEITA   

MO      BOBBY         MANE

3- 0

The weekend score flattered scum and both they and the chavs were as bad as each other.  I'm sure chavs will make changes.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #83: Aug 13, 2019 01:40:02 pm
      Lampards pre match comments suggest the Chelsea boys will be raring to go for this one.

I hope some peoples attitudes to this aren't mirrored by the players on the pitch tomorrow.

F**k losing to Chelsea in any European game.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #84: Aug 13, 2019 01:47:34 pm
      Lonergan is in the 23 man squad:

Fabinho, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gomez, Adrian, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lonergan, Shaqiri, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Matip, Hoever, Kelleher, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott.

Lovren out "due to illness"

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/360294-confirmed-liverpool-squad-super-cup-chelsea

Transferitis maybe?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #85: Aug 13, 2019 01:52:20 pm
      wow kick in balls for trent and gomez, dropped for a pup in one of the most prestigious finals there is.

No chance any of the really young u23 guys will play, we have no injuries apart from Ali, so plenty senior squad guys to rotate, but trent will start probably with matip, I can see matip, trent rotating a lot this season.

I did say i only expect one or two changes.

My mention of Hoever is that people are saying Jürgen should rotate the squad, but then say Gomez for Trent. Well Gomez wouldn't be rotated then as he started the previous match. So if it's freshness you want...

But I'm not expecting Hoever, or many other changes. We've also now learned Lovren didn't make the trip.
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2019 02:02:41 pm by Robby The Z »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #86: Aug 13, 2019 01:58:45 pm
      If it's freshness we want, give Hoever a debut at right back and let Gomez rest as well.

I don't expect more than 1 or 2 changes though.

Freshness?! The season is only one game in and we are worrying about fatigue already?!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #87: Aug 13, 2019 01:59:01 pm
      Freshness?? they've only played 1 game so far. BTW if you think this is mickey mouse then maybe let the club know as they have it proudly displayed on their honours board, how embarassing for them!!!
      As for me I'd gladly take a loss against Southampton to win another piece of silverware, especially against the Chav Rentboys!

1. I don't expect many changes, if any.

2. Rotation usually does connote a wish to keep players fresh.

3. While they've only played one competitive match, the idea is to prevent players from playing three times in one week (Norwich, Chelsea, Saints). Twice is much better. We have a number of those 3 in 7 stretches this season so there's nothing wrong with managing the load now.

4. This is a match well worth winning.

5. See point 1.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #88: Aug 13, 2019 02:02:04 pm
      Freshness?! The season is only one game in and we are worrying about fatigue already?!

I did say "if"

I saw tired players in matches just two weeks ago. Some players have been back in training three weeks or less. So don't tell me they are all at peak fitness now. Managing their match load is a season-long exercise.

But again, I don't expect much change for tomorrow
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #89: Aug 13, 2019 02:48:32 pm
      Just beat the plastic flag waving wankers !
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #90: Aug 13, 2019 03:16:15 pm
      I did say "if"

I saw tired players in matches just two weeks ago. Some players have been back in training three weeks or less. So don't tell me they are all at peak fitness now. Managing their match load is a season-long exercise.

But again, I don't expect much change for tomorrow

Trent was back for a large part of Pre-season and Gomez was there for the whole of it, I don’t think either of them are anywhere near being tired yet, especially not to the extent of bringing in Hoever at their expense.

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #91: Aug 13, 2019 03:39:02 pm
      Oh I'm so charged up and looking forward to the game. I'll be adopting a 10 no nonsense attitude going into this game to ensure success. It's so important to me to "win at all costs" because I'm looking at Man City, even if it makes me less of a human. So here are the 10. So excited! ;D

"I expect us to walk this game, nothing less than 8-0. No one is allowed to take foot off the gas. Even it means risking their bodies. They're paid sh*t loads to destory their bodies for our entertainment."
      "I will not tolerate any complacency by any of the lads. They'll get the stick from me."
      "I will not praise the lads if they do well, because if it gets into their head, they will become complacent. Anyway I've never been happy with them because they're never perfect. A no carrot approach ensures success."
      "I shall not celebrate if we score tap-ins. To me these are low level goals, with no pride. All 8 goals have to be spectacular Hollywood balls."
      "I'll yawn if Adrian plays because he ain't good enough for me despite being good enough for Klopp. I prefer world class subs. I expect Adrian to save everything. To me, every shot can be saved. So he has no excuse. Let in a goal, and I've told you so, Adrian ain't good enough."
      "I'll complain till the cows come home over a single sign of sloppiness even if we win 8-0. Can't let it get to the lads."
      "Quality full throttle entertainment is what I expect and rightly so because I'm a fan and we have the right to demand even if we don't pay the club a single cent. More importantly, Man city. We must be better than them."
      "Backpasses will not be tolerated. Not allowed to keep the ball and rest. They've got to keep attacking to satisfy my desire for full 90m entertainment."
      "I expect our best starting 11 to play 90m. Our bench cannot compete because the drop in quality is too great. Unlike Man City. Also, I don't really trust our bench!"
      "Lastly, if we lose I'm waiting or blame Klopp for not buying Nicolas Pepe who WANTS to join us. Which player wouldn't want to join the CL champions? Those who wouldn't have no ambition."

Sorry for my negativity. Nonetheless this view of "mine" is valid. Because I aspire to be the saddest most negative souless fan. And really, that's my own problem. Nothing wrong.  :aaliverpool2xt1:

You'd pity my child because I'd whip them like that till they're champions in school. I'm sure you won't want to be my staff either since my management style is a stick approach with absolutely no carrots.

Anyway time to go get a life now... Until kickoff. And mind you I'm going in with this mentality because "I love the club more than any other fan!" You can disagree with me. But you might "risk me labelling you by some funny names, depending on my mood".

Just kidding and don't worry. I have no right to judge you. I didn't know being a Liverpool fan can be so miserable. Ok, I'll take back all I've said. I only wanted to be FRANK. I'll enjoy the game and be behind every one of the lads. Maybe 3-0 to us. Let's go!

Quick Reply