Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Adrián
      20 (17.4%)
      Shamal George
      3 (2.6%)
      Joel Matip
      4 (3.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      7 (6.1%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (3.5%)
       Fabinho
      4 (3.5%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.9%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      49 (42.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      23 (20%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: Aug 18, 2019 10:47:51 pm

Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool (4-5 pens AET): In game and Post Match discussion

Read 62705 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool (4-5 pens AET): In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Aug 15, 2019 12:25:24 am
      From Daniel Taylor in The Guardian:

"Ultimately, though, they might have been fortunate the game even reached penalties. Liverpool’s players could feel aggrieved that the referee, Stephanie Frappart, gave Chelsea a penalty for Adrián’s alleged foul on Abraham. The officials in charge of the VAR monitors decided against over-ruling her and it was the same earlier in the match when a handball from Andreas Christensen went unpunished inside the penalty area. Christensen had his arms raised when he blocked Mané’s overhead kick and under the new rules – a point Uefa emphasised in a media briefing on the eve of this match – it should have resulted in a penalty."

Haven't seen a comment about this here but he's absolutely right about that first half decision. UEFA/FIFA have made it clear that if the arm is not within the silhouette of the body, it's a penalty. Doesn't matter how close or far away the shooter was to the defender.

Genuinely believe they didn't want to overturn her decisions unless it was a real real F**k up.

If so its bollocks because man, woman or shaven monkey the correct decisions need to be made.

I'm pretty sure they didn't want to be seen to be correcting her decisions because of outside influences rather than the laws of the game.

On the whole and without patronising the ref had a good game, VAR is there to help her and IMO it instead allowed her incorrect call to become a bigger talking point than if they'd have pulled her to the screen for another look.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #622: Aug 15, 2019 12:44:42 am
      Not going to disagree there but it looks a little like the last half hour of Norwich in the back. Too many fundamental errors with positioning and marking for me too easy to shift it all on the midfield.

Yeah but too easy to shift blame to CB on the flip side.. Maybe..

If you get me....?

Theres been cider. In the Costa Del Sol sun.

Forgive me.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #623: Aug 15, 2019 12:51:18 am
      Genuinely believe they didn't want to overturn her decisions unless it was a real real f**k up.

If so its bollocks because man, woman or shaven monkey the correct decisions need to be made.

I'm pretty sure they didn't want to be seen to be correcting her decisions because of outside influences rather than the laws of the game.

On the whole and without patronising the ref had a good game, VAR is there to help her and IMO it instead allowed her incorrect call to become a bigger talking point than if they'd have pulled her to the screen for another look.

in general, she was good. barely gave a free kick. always drives me mad those refs that just blow every single time a player hits the deck...
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #624: Aug 15, 2019 12:52:41 am
      Lets not moan, we just added another silverware and yes we were poor but we can only improve from here. This shootout will give the lads a very good piece of experience in winning honors from a penalty shoot out. It may come in handy in the CL.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #625: Aug 15, 2019 12:53:48 am
      I'm all for equal women's rights and that but where does it go? How far?

Why are we having a game of men's football reffed by all women officials? To me, that's worse in a way. Pedantic, even?

We all love women, massively. Not sure wanging a load of them at men's football is the right way of doing sh*t, though.

Anyway, up the f**king reds.

Edit: and I'm not sexist in any way, I F***ing love women. Just that sometimes, this big campaign of inclusiveness, could be done a bit better.

Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #626: Aug 15, 2019 12:54:06 am
      great to win that. hard not to worry about how much that takes out for saturday (btw why the hell are we playing on saturday at 3?!?)

we were pretty weird, good bits, and terrible for others. cant help but still be somewhat terrified if anything happens to any of the front 3..

Kante was unbelievable. amazed someone like PSG hasnt launched a huge bid for him.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #627: Aug 15, 2019 01:13:43 am
      Over the moon. As a younger red  (born in the 90s) I haven’t seen as much success as the lucky bas**rds that were born decades ago so I really enjoyed that one haha. I look forward to seeing Henderson do that little dance he does before lifting the cups again really soon.

Nowhere near our best again but that’s ok we’re too good not to get back there soon. That Kante is some little player too by the way, 120th minute and he was still buzzing around the pitch!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #628: Aug 15, 2019 01:45:39 am
      We were nowhere near our best but the ref made a massive mistake and what is the point of  VAR if its not going to rectify mistakes.  What were they watching.   That was a crucial point in the game.  Chelsea were compact and played well when we were drawing or they were ahead.  When they got behind it they were conceding spaces and if that penalty was rightly ruled out we would have won comfortably without going into extra time.  Kante was magnificent had a fantastic game. 

Why did we go into extra time, penalties should have proceeded after full time.  Or to have the game a little later on maybe another 2 weeks or so first week in September.  If we had played a team from another country they would have been still in preseason.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #629: Aug 15, 2019 01:57:06 am
      We were nowhere near our best but the ref made a massive mistake and what is the point of  VAR if its not going to rectify mistakes.  What were they watching.   That was a crucial point in the game.  Chelsea were compact and played well when we were drawing or they were ahead.  When they got behind it they were conceding spaces and if that penalty was rightly ruled out we would have won comfortably without going into extra time.  Kante was magnificent had a fantastic game. 

Why did we go into extra time, penalties should have proceeded after full time.  Or to have the game a little later on maybe another 2 weeks or so first week in September.  If we had played a team from another country they would have been still in preseason.

Just a quick one. We won.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #630: Aug 15, 2019 02:02:28 am

Fantastic and over the moon another trophy in the cabinet long may it continue.  But had to have rant at the Penalty call especially because VAR had the opportunity to rectify it.  Our players are going to have an unfair disadvantage on Saturday.  UEFA do daft things so they should either have a few weeks later or no extra time if they are going to play it so early.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #631: Aug 15, 2019 02:55:10 am
      Some of stuff being said in here is embarrassing, it really is

After watching the game on replay i went back and read through the thread and i agree. Just embarrassing seeing some of those posts.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #632: Aug 15, 2019 03:37:09 am
      I'm all for equal women's rights and that but where does it go? How far?

Why are we having a game of men's football reffed by all women officials? To me, that's worse in a way. Pedantic, even?

We all love women, massively. Not sure wanging a load of them at men's football is the right way of doing sh*t, though.

Anyway, up the f**king reds.

Edit: and I'm not sexist in any way, I f**king love women. Just that sometimes, this big campaign of inclusiveness, could be done a bit better.

I’ve played games at school level and Sunday league with female refs. If they’re professionals I don’t think it makes a difference. They aren’t competing.

The only genuine scientific argument MIGHT be about the speed. And that’s probably only if it can be proven that male refs are faster than the female ones.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #633: Aug 15, 2019 03:40:13 am
      After watching the game on replay i went back and read through the thread and i agree. Just embarrassing seeing some of those posts.

It’s like that after watching every game and coming to read the comments on the forum. Emotions run wild ;D
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #634: Aug 15, 2019 06:18:17 am
      UNPOPULAR OPINION: I've said it since last season: Milner is past it. Can cover at fullback but not in midfield anymore, he brings nothing now.

Fabinho and the defense are really underperforming for whatever reason. Matip was a nightmare when he needed to pass and Fabinho did not protect the defense enough. It might not be his fault, it seems like we're defending very high now.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #635: Aug 15, 2019 06:44:39 am
      What a win, Mane is still on fire and Firmino has improved too but our midfield needs to up their game and even our defense.

A win is always a win but we need to get back at controlling games. They were dangerous and had their chances and they could have win the Cup as well but THEY DIDN'T :)

Mane MOTM and then Gomez and Adrian.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #636: Aug 15, 2019 07:37:12 am
      Quote from fields of anny rd
      Genuinely believe they didn't want to overturn her decisions unless it was a real real F**k up.

Amazing how they had no problem telling her to look at the screen during the WWC Final.

I saw the contact. I didn't see the foul. But
      if VAR says it's a penalty, they must have seen a foul somewhere.

Quote from JD
      £70M keeper v the free agent.  Hmm...  Not confident, sorry.

It's a Liverpool goalkeeper. On penalties. In Istanbul. What are the chances?

Job Done. Slowly but surely, we're getting used to putting trophies in the cabinet. Next up, the chance to be World Champions in December.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #637: Aug 15, 2019 08:09:07 am

To be honest you can apply to most game threads, I’d take it with a pinch of salt. It’s an outlet for people to vent and posting styles change somewhat. Perfectly sensible posters can come out with all sorts of comments that are out of character when the game is going on.
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2019 08:13:59 am by Scottbot »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #638: Aug 15, 2019 08:11:59 am
      A fairly poor performance from us apart from the 10 minute blitz at the start of the second but who cares we won, that is all that really matters.
      I was fairly surprised but delighted we won that penalty shootout and all the bad luck we had with marginal ref decisions during the game was equalised by those two pens squirming under kepa.

I am however a bit surprised by all the adulation for Adrian, I actually thought he was quite poor and I am slightly worried about us defensively with him in goal, especially since the defence looks really wobbly at the moment.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #639: Aug 15, 2019 08:13:02 am
      To be honest you can apply to most game threads, I’d take it with a pinch of salt. It’s an outlet for people to vent and posting styles change somewhat. Perfectly sensible posters can come out with all sorts of comments that are out of character when the pitch is going on.

I never read into what people say in the heat of a game, emotions far to raw and wild. Its afterwards that you can do some more analysis with a cool head.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Reply #640: Aug 15, 2019 08:45:55 am
      So relieved to get the win, and another cup 😊😊 but never ever was that a pen,clear as day player was looking for it as he had no chance of getting the ball,so fell over and ref and var gave it. crazy.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #641: Aug 15, 2019 09:07:34 am
      in the end we won and another trophy in our cabinet  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

wouldn't mind having someone like Kante in our team, what a player!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #642: Aug 15, 2019 09:08:13 am
      I saw the contact. I didn't see the foul. But
      if VAR says it's a penalty, they must have seen a foul somewhere.

Even if VAR got one wrong for a player who was in fact 10 yards onside you’d still be saying they got the decision right or saw something somewhere.

They didn’t have the the different angles available at the time which is apparently why it wasn’t looked at. There’s no way the ref could have been sure there was contact or not from where she was. So many players dive in that position so you’d think it would be common sense to wait and look at it.
      VAR and the officials fu**ed up, simple as that, sorry to burst your bubble of VAR being flawless.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #643: Aug 15, 2019 09:30:00 am

And for that I thank Jürgen and our REDS,people forget that Chelsea have had decisions go their way over the years especially in the Mourinho years.Should we have sympathy for the bas**rds-no fukcing way.
      One further point it was good to see Hendo and the squad give their  support to our new goalie.Well done lads I am proud of you.
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2019 10:28:37 am by Billy1 »

Quick Reply