Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Adrián
      20 (17.4%)
      Shamal George
      3 (2.6%)
      Joel Matip
      4 (3.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      7 (6.1%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (3.5%)
       Fabinho
      4 (3.5%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.9%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      49 (42.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      23 (20%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: Aug 18, 2019 10:47:51 pm

Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool (4-5 pens AET): In game and Post Match discussion

Read 62686 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool (4-5 pens AET): In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Aug 15, 2019 09:55:34 am
      Over the moon. As a younger red  (born in the 90s) I haven’t seen as much success as the lucky bas**rds that were born decades ago so I really enjoyed that one haha. I look forward to seeing Henderson do that little dance he does before lifting the cups again really soon.

Nowhere near our best again but that’s ok we’re too good not to get back there soon. That Kante is some little player too by the way, 120th minute and he was still buzzing around the pitch!

I'm a child of 91. I enjoyed the Uefa Cup of 01, UCL 05 & 19, Fa Cup 01 & 06, League Cup 01, 03 & 12 and Super Cup 01, 05 & 19. 11 in total :)

Not bad too.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #645: Aug 15, 2019 10:02:57 am
      I'm a child of 91. I enjoyed the Uefa Cup of 01, UCL 05 & 19, Fa Cup 01 & 06, League Cup 01, 03 & 12 and Super Cup 01, 05 & 19. 11 in total :)

Not bad too.

Bit luckier than me I’m afraid, 1997 so all the cups Houllier won I can’t say I remember too well or almost at all haha
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #646: Aug 15, 2019 10:23:45 am
      Way off from the thrashing I predicted but who cares.

Get the F**k in! The second most team I enjoy us beating after the scum and another trophy.

Happy days!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #647: Aug 15, 2019 10:32:45 am
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #648: Aug 15, 2019 10:34:28 am
      Bit luckier than me I’m afraid, 1997 so all the cups Houllier won I can’t say I remember too well or almost at all haha

No, you were too young. I was 10 in 2001, I do not remember the whole game but I remember clearly Hyppia and Fowler kissing the Trophy of UEFA Cup.

On topic, our overall play needs to improve but we're getting the results so who can argue :D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #649: Aug 15, 2019 10:35:58 am

Brilliant. love the man.

Great win, cheatski played very well, better than I expected.

We were disjointed again, can see why klopp made the changes, esp. considering it went to ET.

Boys will be knackered v southampton, expect changes v them too.

PS. what a player Bobbi is, makes us tick.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #650: Aug 15, 2019 10:50:39 am
      Brilliant. love the man.

Great win, cheatski played very well, better than I expected.

We were disjointed again, can see why klopp made the changes, esp. considering it went to ET.

Boys will be knackered v southampton, expect changes v them too.

PS. what a player Bobbi is, makes us tick.

Perhaps you can explain Kopp's changes to me then, in particular his starting XI because I still don't get it. Why would you not start your strongest XI against a team which has just come off a thrashing by Manure, we completely gifted them that first half, it was nuts. Starting the Ox as a forward was just insane and Milner, as much as I love the guy, just doesn't have it any more, not as a starter any way. I am starting to wonder what exactly Shaq needs to do to get a F***ing start in Klopp's team, if I was him I'd be getting fairly pissed off and dejected about it?

BTW that is not to say that I am not thrilled with the win because I am, but just that it was an extremely weird match tactically and because we starte da weakened team we ended up having to play 120 minutes rather than 90 and a comfortable win.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #651: Aug 15, 2019 10:55:46 am
      Even if VAR got one wrong for a player who was in fact 10 yards onside you’d still be saying they got the decision right or saw something somewhere.

They didn’t have the the different angles available at the time which is apparently why it wasn’t looked at. There’s no way the ref could have been sure there was contact or not from where she was. So many players dive in that position so you’d think it would be common sense to wait and look at it.
      VAR and the officials fu**ed up, simple as that, sorry to burst your bubble of VAR being flawless.

If the decision was so clear cut on VAR why did the player embarrassingly dive after after the initial contact, definite F**k up from the ref and all concerned.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #652: Aug 15, 2019 11:04:54 am
      Perhaps you can explain Kopp's changes to me then, in particular his starting XI because I still don't get it. Why would you not start your strongest XI against a team which has just come off a thrashing by Manure, we completely gifted them that first half, it was nuts. Starting the Ox as a forward was just insane and Milner, as much as I love the guy, just doesn't have it any more, not as a starter any way. I am starting to wonder what exactly Shaq needs to do to get a f**king start in Klopp's team, if I was him I'd be getting fairly pissed off and dejected about it?

BTW that is not to say that I am not thrilled with the win because I am, but just that it was an extremely weird match tactically and because we starte da weakened team we ended up having to play 120 minutes rather than 90 and a comfortable win.

All about fitness, and getting guys game time.

I agree it was a weird match. I said in the tactics thread, I dont think we will see us playing very well for a few games yet. Too many guys at different levels of fitness, pre-season was a shambles for various reasons, klopp has said this.

But hey, weve won our 1st league game, drew with city, and now won a super cup. Its a not bad start all things considered.

Southampton team selection going to be interesting, only really have today to recover, then probably light training tmrw. So I expect an even weirder team selection. ;D   luckily after that its a full week till the Arsenal game, and then a week till Burnley.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #653: Aug 15, 2019 11:06:13 am
      If the decision was so clear cut on VAR why did the player embarrassingly dive after after the initial contact, definite f**k up from the ref and all concerned.

Was never a penner, dunno what VAR seen, can see why ref gave it in 1st place, but VAR should have seen there was no contact, or very very very little contact, and his 1st touch took the ball out of play, he was never getting a shot off. IMO.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #654: Aug 15, 2019 11:08:34 am
      All about fitness, and getting guys game time.

I agree it was a weird match. I said in the tactics thread, I dont think we will see us playing very well for a few games yet. Too many guys at different levels of fitness, pre-season was a shambles for various reasons, klopp has said this.

But hey, weve won our 1st league game, drew with city, and now won a super cup. Its a not bad start all things considered.

Southampton team selection going to be interesting, only really have today to recover, then probably light training tmrw. So I expect an even weirder team selection. ;D   luckily after that its a full week till the Arsenal game, and then a week till Burnley.

I was also thinking it must be about fitness, but I'd still have started strongest XI in first half and then subbed players off, I think Jürgen fu**ed that up a bit or thought it would be easier than it was, it happens, as long as he learns from it then all good.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #655: Aug 15, 2019 11:11:13 am
      I was also thinking it must be about fitness, but I'd still have started strongest XI in first half and then subbed players off, I think Jürgen fu**ed that up a bit or thought it would be easier than it was, it happens, as long as he learns from it then all good.

defo all about fitness, he keeps saying players are not at same level.

Also some very poor individual performances last night, that happens.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #656: Aug 15, 2019 11:16:53 am
      Personally I do not rate Gomez at right back if there is a choice not to do it.

I think Trent should have played but then he cant play every game. I just hope that the move was for that reason rather than tactical.

What Trent offers us is a lot of threat. 20 assists a season as well as punishing the opposition left back all game and forcing him to stay deeper. Hes good enough defensively with all that in mind.

So with the move to Gomez there we lose a big weapon in the way we play. You can tell Joe to play high and wide but his footwork and crossing is nothing like what TAA can offer.

If Trent has been left out with Saturday and beyond in mind, or theres something the club want to protect there then fair enough. Gomez is our next best option out there.

In the back of my mind though Klopp left Trent out at the Nou Camp last season for tactical reasons after a poor game the game earlier. The forum called for it too.

He was worried about being solid, but the game presented itself for a player like Trent to hurt them.

Hes more risk, higher reward is Trent. If he has a poor game or gets caught out too high in a game, I hope Klopp sticks with him because hes vital there IMO. Him and Robbo both are.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #657: Aug 15, 2019 11:18:14 am
      Was never a penner, dunno what VAR seen, can see why ref gave it in 1st place, but VAR should have seen there was no contact, or very very very little contact, and his 1st touch took the ball out of play, he was never getting a shot off. IMO.

I agree never a pen. I watched the game on BT Sport and they had a camera angle that VAR haven't got, shows it was a dive.
      I agree with having VAR but surely they should have every angle covered, otherwise what is the point of having it ?
      Anyways, a trophy won, get in.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #658: Aug 15, 2019 11:25:33 am
      Touching on VAR..

We had a penalty for handball disallowed & a penalty for a dive awarded, not a good night for the VAR team, I think the refs had a decent game.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #659: Aug 15, 2019 11:27:30 am
      Touching on VAR..

We had a penalty for handball disallowed & a penalty for a dive awarded, not a good night for the VAR team, I think the refs had a decent game.

Refs were good on decisions that didn't involve VAR. They got most every offside call correct if I recall, but you are right, that handball in the box was a clear pen, shouldn't even have been a debate and the dive for the penalty was disgraceful....not sure what they were looking at on the replay.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #660: Aug 15, 2019 11:39:18 am
      I agree never a pen. I watched the game on BT Sport and they had a camera angle that VAR haven't got, shows it was a dive.
      I agree with having VAR but surely they should have every angle covered, otherwise what is the point of having it ?
      Anyways, a trophy won, get in.

yea I was watching on BT too, weird that VAR didnt have that angle.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #661: Aug 15, 2019 11:41:12 am
      Personally I do not rate Gomez at right back if there is a choice not to do it.

I think Trent should have played but then he cant play every game. I just hope that the move was for that reason rather than tactical.

What Trent offers us is a lot of threat. 20 assists a season as well as punishing the opposition left back all game and forcing him to stay deeper. Hes good enough defensively with all that in mind.

So with the move to Gomez there we lose a big weapon in the way we play. You can tell Joe to play high and wide but his footwork and crossing is nothing like what TAA can offer.

If Trent has been left out with Saturday and beyond in mind, or theres something the club want to protect there then fair enough. Gomez is our next best option out there.

In the back of my mind though Klopp left Trent out at the Nou Camp last season for tactical reasons after a poor game the game earlier. The forum called for it too.

He was worried about being solid, but the game presented itself for a player like Trent to hurt them.

Hes more risk, higher reward is Trent. If he has a poor game or gets caught out too high in a game, I hope Klopp sticks with him because hes vital there IMO. Him and Robbo both are.

Klopp is defo using Gomez as cover for Matip & Trent. Just about fitness I think, and there may be the odd game where he wants gomez for better defensive cover.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #662: Aug 15, 2019 11:51:20 am
      Anyone else notice the 4th ref..?

Cuneyt Cakir the Turkish fella who seems to be our lucky charm in European football..😉

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #663: Aug 15, 2019 12:23:48 pm
      Over the moon. As a younger red  (born in the 90s) I haven’t seen as much success as the lucky bas**rds that were born decades ago so I really enjoyed that one haha. I look forward to seeing Henderson do that little dance he does before lifting the cups again really soon.

Nowhere near our best again but that’s ok we’re too good not to get back there soon. That Kante is some little player too by the way, 120th minute and he was still buzzing around the pitch!

If you want our memories you have to take our prostates as well
      Hasty Lover
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #664: Aug 15, 2019 12:33:54 pm
      I think that was a massive win yesterday, keep the momentum going, help to avoid hangover from last seasons success. Would have felt like a kick in the balls to lose it
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #665: Aug 15, 2019 12:35:05 pm
      Absolutely made up, another trophy in the cabinet. Success breeds success, and the youngsters will hugely benefit from developing the hunger for lifting trophies.

Am a little concerned about the defence though, Norwich were creating chances and Chelsea create too many chances too easily. Hoping it's just start of season jitters and a regular starting line up will stabilize things.

Sweet f***ing justice that diving, cheating pr**k missed the penalty to hand it to us. Though Adrian had an excellent game if I'm honest and Mane is firmly our best player now. Mo can learn a bit from his ruthlessness, single-mindedness without being overly selfish. But all three up front look sharp and that fills me with joy.

Great stuff lads, keep them rolling in  ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #666: Aug 15, 2019 01:03:18 pm
      yea I was watching on BT too, weird that VAR didnt have that angle.

Same as and it was a stone wall dive, did see two hand-balls as well in our pen area.

Quick Reply