Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Adrián
      20 (17.4%)
      Shamal George
      3 (2.6%)
      Joel Matip
      4 (3.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      7 (6.1%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (3.5%)
       Fabinho
      4 (3.5%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.9%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      49 (42.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      23 (20%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: Aug 18, 2019 10:47:51 pm

Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool (4-5 pens AET): In game and Post Match discussion

Read 62671 times
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Re: Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool (4-5 pens AET): In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: Aug 15, 2019 01:32:45 pm
      Absolutely chuffed for Adrian.  Not our best performance by a long shot, but early days for players fitness levels and team cohesion.  lets hope they all recover for Saturday.

YNWA
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #668: Aug 15, 2019 01:38:25 pm
      Refs were good on decisions that didn't involve VAR. They got most every offside call correct if I recall, but you are right, that handball in the box was a clear pen, shouldn't even have been a debate and the dive for the penalty was disgraceful....not sure what they were looking at on the replay.

Was never a penner, dunno what VAR seen, can see why ref gave it in 1st place, but VAR should have seen there was no contact, or very very very little contact, and his 1st touch took the ball out of play, he was never getting a shot off. IMO.

We played an extra 30 minutes in a furnace because VAR and the ref got it wrong ,FIFA didnt want it overturned to save her and them embarrassment in this worldwide televised showpiece match.

Come forward 72 hours, Saturday last 25 minutes @ Southampton theres 5 players blowing out their arse, a point or 3 could be at stake, think on to last night , through sheer grit and determination we lost one game last season, last night gender, FIFA`s ego, and extra time that we didnt need to play became another variable in our quest for #19.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #669: Aug 15, 2019 01:50:46 pm
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #670: Aug 15, 2019 02:16:43 pm
      Perhaps you can explain Kopp's changes to me then, in particular his starting XI because I still don't get it. Why would you not start your strongest XI against a team which has just come off a thrashing by Manure, we completely gifted them that first half, it was nuts. Starting the Ox as a forward was just insane and Milner, as much as I love the guy, just doesn't have it any more, not as a starter any way. I am starting to wonder what exactly Shaq needs to do to get a f**king start in Klopp's team, if I was him I'd be getting fairly pissed off and dejected about it?

BTW that is not to say that I am not thrilled with the win because I am, but just that it was an extremely weird match tactically and because we starte da weakened team we ended up having to play 120 minutes rather than 90 and a comfortable win.

That’s all a bit dramatic mate, Ox played as winger as a youngster and then for probably his first 5 years as a pro so it’s not like the position is alien to him, he just had a shocker and couldn’t get in the game. Beyond that and keeping Trent in the bench I’m not sure it was a particularly weakened team tbh. As for Chelsea, they played well at the weekend and were very unlucky and in balance of play last night they can count themselves unlucky again. In Kante and Jorginio they had the two best players in the pitch and they have got themselves a player in Pulisic. They will continue to be a very good side. Has for Shaq, he doesn’t seem to be all that high on Klopp’s list, I was a little surprised not to see him sold in the summer and replaced. I would’ve very surprised if he gets a start at Saints on Saturday.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #671: Aug 15, 2019 02:20:25 pm
      Touching on VAR..

We had a penalty for handball disallowed & a penalty for a dive awarded, not a good night for the VAR team, I think the refs had a decent game.

I read that VAR only gets to see replays from one angle ? Is this true ? If so I really don’t see the point in VAR at all because from the first angle I saw on the telly I said penalty all day but when the camera was reversed to the opposite side of the challenge I then thought what a dive ?? If tight decisions are going to be made off only one angle and slow the game in the process I’d rather the refs just make the calls and scrap VAR
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #672: Aug 15, 2019 02:25:37 pm
      That’s all a bit dramatic mate, Ox played as winger as a youngster and then for probably his first 5 years as a pro so it’s not like the position is alien to him, he just had a shocker and couldn’t get in the game. Beyond that and keeping Trent in the bench I’m not sure it was a particularly weakened team tbh. As for Chelsea, they played well at the weekend and were very unlucky and in balance of play last night they can count themselves unlucky again. In Kante and Jorginio they had the two best players in the pitch and they have got themselves a player in Pulisic. They will continue to be a very good side. Has for Shaq, he doesn’t seem to be all that high on Klopp’s list, I was a little surprised not to see him sold in the summer and replaced. I would’ve very surprised if he gets a start at Saints on Saturday.

Ox has been injured for a whole year, on that basis its bloody daft to replace Bobby with him in a cup final against a quality team, it just is. Other than that I agree the other players just had a sh*t game and we were pretty lucky to win in the end, but we did and I'm happy with that, but I hope some one got a bollocking for that team selection, even if its Klopp administering a self bollocking. :-)

Anyway onwards and upwards, hopefully we can find enough fit players for Saturday, luckily we are not playing one of the top teams, but Southampton away is never that easy.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #673: Aug 15, 2019 02:26:20 pm
      I read that VAR only gets to see replays from one angle ? Is this true ? If so I really don’t see the point in VAR at all because from the first angle I saw on the telly I said penalty all day but when the camera was reversed to the opposite side of the challenge I then thought what a dive ?? If tight decisions are going to be made off only one angle and slow the game in the process I’d rather the refs just make the calls and scrap VAR

I agree VAR has to have multiple angles and access to all the TV feeds.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #674: Aug 15, 2019 02:35:11 pm
      Touching on VAR..

We had a penalty for handball disallowed & a penalty for a dive awarded, not a good night for the VAR team, I think the refs had a decent game.

Agree on all counts. VAR of course is simply a 2nd opinion with the aid of replay and slow motion. If the camera angles never give a perfectly clear look, then the original call stands and I think that is what happened.

The only way women refereeing men would be a problem is if they are promoted via different standards than the men. Similarly, if they are given some kind of special treatment re evaluation, VAR reviews etc, that defeats the purpose. We want equality, so let's be equal. Last night I think is a good first step.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #675: Aug 15, 2019 03:44:56 pm
      I thought the game reminded me a bit of the Citeh game where we came out really flat in the first half. The mid-field could not get a foothold in the game at all, thought it was way too easy at times for Chelsea to pass and run through the middle and they had so much time on the ball (especially Perdo) to dwell on it and pick out a pass. I thought Fabinho and Milner were not winning at of the balls in the middle and were poor tackling when needed. Kante was just running around and controlling the middle for fun.

Second half we came out much better aided by having Firmino who we could play to up top and thought could of had it wrapped up in early but in traditional fashion we made things harder then they needed to be. I will say a great sign is our front three all look very sharp early on this season, especially Firmino who touch, control and passing have been top notch.

Happy for Adrian who I thought had very good game, it is such a great story going from released by West Ham to playing for the European champions and playing key role in winning the Super Cup.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #676: Aug 15, 2019 04:08:25 pm
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #677: Aug 15, 2019 04:14:57 pm

Great leg work in those trophy lifts too. He's going to take off one of these days
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #678: Aug 15, 2019 05:51:41 pm
      I agree never a pen. I watched the game on BT Sport and they had a camera angle that VAR haven't got, shows it was a dive.
      I agree with having VAR but surely they should have every angle covered, otherwise what is the point of having it ?
      Anyways, a trophy won, get in.

Just throwing this out there.. how can there be an angle that VAR don't have?

It is ridiculous that the broadcasters can check the incident more than the VAR.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #679: Aug 15, 2019 05:55:05 pm
      VAR was a joke last night
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #680: Aug 15, 2019 05:57:21 pm
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #681: Aug 15, 2019 05:58:09 pm

It is ridiculous that the broadcasters can check the incident more than the VAR.

Its embarrassing tbh. Its going to happen a lot this season if they dont sort it out.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #682: Aug 15, 2019 06:00:45 pm
      I agree never a pen. I watched the game on BT Sport and they had a camera angle that VAR haven't got, shows it was a dive.
      I agree with having VAR but surely they should have every angle covered, otherwise what is the point of having it ?
      Anyways, a trophy won, get in.

Funny how VAR was supposed to have all angles covered. First F**k up by VAR as that was never a pen.

First half was poor, we obviously livened up once Bobby came on. Disagreed with Klopp taking off Mane as I thought he was our most dangerous player at the time.

Great for Adrian to win the game for us with his penalty save.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #683: Aug 15, 2019 06:10:38 pm
      I said before the season started VAR was going to be problematic last night proved it, if they cant get it right for a UEFA Super Cup Final what chance the Premiership ,does that mean if they dont show the ref all the angles every club is open to getting wrong decisions and losing points and dare I say it leagues cups promotion and relegation  .

We have already played an extra 30 mins already that we didnt need to, in extreme weather conditions the results of which we will be seen on Saturday afternoon if its detrimental to our squad, if you have evidence to disprove the referee's decision surely it must be made available to the officials to over rule the referee if your not going to get the correct outcome of the various incidents  whats the point in having it .As for our penalty claim I didnt think it was but by my understanding of the rules it was,you would be going off your head if that was given against you , no. ??
      Why was there no check who called that shot it certainly hit his hand .
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2019 06:16:25 pm by Cad1875 »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #684: Aug 15, 2019 06:28:43 pm
      Quote from WeAreMenOfShanklysBest

Why did you think it was a penalty with the first angle? We only got to see 4-5 camera angles, the VAR team would have another 20 more or so available. Only one of them has to show a foul, to justify the call.

The BBC reported that Adrian caught the player on the knee, in that case technically it was not a dive. When he was with West Ham against us in the 2014 run in, he conceded an almost identical foul when he took Flanagan down in the box. Everyone except our fans said Flanagan dived, except he didn't. Gerrard scored the spot kick and we won 2-1.

On the offside calls, Aldo ranted at the delay for the flag to go up. Gillespie also still doesn't understand why for VAR reasons, the flag doesn't go up until a move ends, despite repeatedly being told why by the commentators alongside them. It's not a rule as such, it's a directive, and it's there for reasons so simple, that even I can understand it. It's not rocket science.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #685: Aug 15, 2019 06:36:38 pm
      Stunning how that penalty stood after the var review. Are they blind
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #686: Aug 15, 2019 06:42:59 pm
      It seems var has it's faults too, there does not seem a perfect solution to these problems yet.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #687: Aug 15, 2019 07:07:17 pm
      Funny how VAR was supposed to have all angles covered. First F**k up by VAR as that was never a pen.

The dive was comical, reminded me of the TV advert where there's a kid in goal and another kid taking a shot, the ball hit the goalie kid square in the gob he takes a moment to recover and then dives making an imaginary save, the kid's dive looked more credible.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #688: Aug 15, 2019 07:14:54 pm

Didn't Carra say that Sky have more cameras available than VAR. Maybe a deal needs to be struck, for televised games.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #689: Aug 15, 2019 07:50:49 pm
      Didn't Carra say that Sky have more cameras available than VAR. Maybe a deal needs to be struck, for televised games.

In American football and basketball, it's the telecast that provides all the angles. I see 4 people sitting at the monitors, they should be able to show whomever the one that provides conclusive evidence (if there is one).

Quick Reply