Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Southampton?

Adrian
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (6.5%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.3%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.3%)
      Gini Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      56 (72.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      10 (13%)
      Mo Salah
      1 (1.3%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: Aug 21, 2019 04:57:20 pm

Southampton 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 43958 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Southampton 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #207: Aug 17, 2019 07:51:00 pm
      3 points while still finding form, while at the emptyad 2 points dropped
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #208: Aug 17, 2019 08:05:05 pm
      Didn't see the game but the guy doing it on Sly [mcanally?] said we were cruising at 2-0, then the keeper sticks his dick in his own arse and we're hanging on till the end. Seemingly Ings missed a sitter at 2-1 that was easier to score - dunno if true, didn't see. Would have been damn harsh to have Ings score 2 to leave us with a draw - thanks for the solid there Danny ;)

Worried though, Adrian seems a bit slow and not very mobile - right, yes, he's the backup keeper - but whatever about not making top saves, just do the basics right buddy. This is the sharp end of the PL, not down in the weeds with the hammers.

That said, great to get the 3 points, and at the end of the day that's what matters :) Specially with Shitty and Spuds drawing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #209: Aug 17, 2019 08:07:45 pm
      Goes to show just how much more important the 3 points are than the performance itself. Can’t deny the fact that on the general entirety of this match, we were bad and didn’t deserve the win. But then you look at City who put in a good performance against Spurs and played far better than we did, come out of that game with just the 1 point and are now chasing us. If you ask Pep what scenario he’d prefer for the games today, he’d rightly choose ours.

It’s frustrating when we don’t play well but the 3 points feels so much better than a good performance.

Even looking at the attitude of the players, complete difference to City who were starting to turn on each other...again! This time it was Aguero falling out with players and Pep.
      They have the glamour about them but we definitely have the togetherness.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #210: Aug 17, 2019 08:09:42 pm
      Goes to show just how much more important the 3 points are than the performance itself. Can’t deny the fact that on the general entirety of this match, we were bad and didn’t deserve the win. But then you look at City who put in a good performance against Spurs and played far better than we did, come out of that game with just the 1 point and are now chasing us. If you ask Pep what scenario he’d prefer for the games today, he’d rightly choose ours.

It’s frustrating when we don’t play well but the 3 points feels so much better than a good performance.

Even looking at the attitude of the players, complete difference to City who were starting to turn on each other...again! This time it was Aguero falling out with players and Pep.
      They have the glamour about them but we definitely have the togetherness.

Didn’t deserve the win ? Really ? We may have had some dodgy moments but we still had long spells of dominance. We didn’t play great but we still shaded it
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #211: Aug 17, 2019 08:12:12 pm
      Didn’t deserve the win ? Really ? We may have had some dodgy moments but we still had long spells of dominance. We didn’t play great but we still shaded it

No, didn’t deserve the win. They were by far the better team in the first half and for a good 15mins or so in the second half too. Had Ings not fu**ed that glorious chance then it would have been 2-2 and we’d be moaning about having blown a 2 goal lead and ending up with 1 point.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #212: Aug 17, 2019 08:15:27 pm
      No, didn’t deserve the win. They were by far the better team in the first half and for a good 15mins or so in the second half too. Had Ings not fu**ed that glorious chance then it would have been 2-2 and we’d be moaning about having blown a 2 goal lead and ending up with 1 point.
      And if Firmino hadn’t missed his glorious chance as well

Dominated possession, more chances on goal , cruising until Adrian’s mistake
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #213: Aug 17, 2019 08:18:19 pm

Take the tints off mate, you are trying to make it sound better than it was.
      I think you are missing the point of my post though so I’m going to leave it there.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #214: Aug 17, 2019 08:25:01 pm
      With 7 days till our next game I feel like the squad will be in a good place in terms of fitness when arsenal come to anfield. Massive to win our opening two games and to throw in the Super Cup as well.

I agree, very important win but Adrian needs to cut that cute passing sh*t out, I can't understand why goalies take risks in that way, especially in that situation. Nearly fu**ed the whole game when we were fully in control.
      Anyway maximum points and good to see Ox starting to find some form again.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #215: Aug 17, 2019 08:29:55 pm

What made Southampton the better team? Not travelling 10,000 miles to win a cup & then have to preform 72 hours later to an away team?.

Taking the above into account I think we did fantastic against Southampton even though our performance  was not it’s usual self..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #216: Aug 17, 2019 08:33:07 pm

Agreed - we 100% deserved the 3 points
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #217: Aug 17, 2019 08:34:14 pm
      Glad to see Ox play today
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #218: Aug 17, 2019 08:37:19 pm
      What made Southampton the better team? Not travelling 10,000 miles to win a cup & then have to preform 72 hours later to an away team?.

I don’t know why my post is being made such a big deal of, I was hardly stating the team for f**k sake. We all know the circumstances coming into this game, but that can not be changed. I’m delighted we got the 3 points and now I’m being asked to pin point what it was that made me think Saints were the better team. Christ, you all watched the game, you saw how sloppy we were and how much they were troubling us for the entire first half and in parts of the 2nd too. I’m not saying we didn’t deserve to win so therefore its wrong we got the 3 points. But by thinking we weren’t the better team doesn’t automatically mean to say I think we deserved to lose, because we didn’t because how good we did look at times in the 2nd half. I think on the balance of chances that a fair result would have been a draw and had we ended up losing I have no doubts you’d be saying we deserved at least a draw. But ultimately we took more chances than they did so we get the points...which believe it or not was my point!!!!

F***ing christ alive, I do a post highlighting the character and strength of the team to grind out a win and how the points are more important than the performance and suddenly people are starting to get their kecks in a twist, it’s f**king pathetic how people will try and twist what’s actually being said.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019 08:46:26 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #219: Aug 17, 2019 08:46:33 pm
      I don’t know why my post is being made such a big deal of, I was hardly stating the team for f**k sake. We all know the circumstances coming into this game, but that can not be changed. I’m delighted we got the 3 points and now I’m being asked to pin point what it was that made me think Saints were the better team. Christ, you all watched the game, you saw how sloppy we were and how much they were troubling us for the entire first half and in parts of the 2nd too. I’m not saying we didn’t deserve to win so therefore its wrong we got the 3 points. But by thinking we weren’t the better team doesn’t automatically mean to say I think we deserved to lose, because we didn’t because how good we did look at times in the 2nd half. I think on the balance of chances that a fair result would have been a draw and had we ended up losing I have no doubts you’d be saying we deserved at least a draw. But ultimately we took more chances than they did.

F***ing christ alive, I do a post highlighting the character and strength of the team to grind out a win and how the points are more important than the performance and suddenly people are starting to get their kecks in a twist, it’s f**king pathetic how people will try and twist what’s actually being said.

No one got their kecks in a twist and no one twisted what you said

You said we didn’t deserve to win and I just questioned that based on what I saw and the stats of the game -it was just a question on one point of your post. Being a touch dramatic
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #220: Aug 17, 2019 08:51:39 pm
      No one got their kecks in a twist and no one twisted what you said

You said we didn’t deserve to win and I just questioned that based on what I saw and the stats of the game -it was just a question on one point of your post. Being a touch dramatic

Well you completely missed the point of my post and interpreted it wrongly, I assume you saw the game so you will know just how much they were troubling us.
      It’s not being dramatic, it’s being frustrated and irritated by having what I was actually saying about the strength of the team completely bypassed when it was perfectly clear.

The easiest way I can think of trying to clarify this...put it this way, say the teams were flipped and we had lost that game 2-1, playing how Saints did, would you feel hard done by coming away with nothing? Simple yes or no answer.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #221: Aug 17, 2019 08:54:47 pm
      Well you completely missed the point of my post and interpreted it wrongly, I assume you saw the game so you will know just how much they were troubling us.

The easiest way I can think of trying to clarify this...put it this way, say the teams were flipped and we had lost that game 2-1, playing how Saints did, would you feel hard done by coming away with nothing?

As I said yes at times they did cause us trouble mainly because one mistake from us let them back into it.

And no I wouldn’t feel hard done by because despite the periods of good play not enough good chances were created and ultimately the opposition created more from their superior possession

It was a poor gritty game of which we shaded it and got the three points overall we just about deserved .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #222: Aug 17, 2019 08:59:48 pm
      As I said yes at times they did cause us trouble mainly because one mistake from us let them back into it.

And no I wouldn’t feel hard done by because despite the periods of good play not enough good chances were created and ultimately the opposition created more from their superior possession

It was a poor gritty game of which we shaded it and got the three points overall we just about deserved .

Bollocks. Possession means nothing if you are doing nothing with it.

We had 15 shots, 6 on target. They had 14 shots and 3 on target.
      They had 4 shots blocked, we had 3. Both teams had 3 clear cut chances. They done 27 clearances, we done 30.

Attempted passes. Total for them 295, in the attacking 3rd were 98. Difference of 197.
      For us 518, in the attacking 3rd 139. Difference of 379. Which shows we weren’t doing much with the possession.

You take away the possession, which was always going to be higher because we play our way out from the back, and the stats are very even and shows we could very easily have come away from this game with just 1 point.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019 09:06:08 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #223: Aug 17, 2019 09:06:07 pm
      Bollocks. Possession means nothing if you are doing nothing with it.

We had 15 shots, 6 on target. They had 14 shots and 3 on target.
      They had 4 shots blocked, we had 3. Both teams had 3 clear cut chances. They done 27 clearances, we done 30.

Total passes for them 295, in the attacking 3rd were 98. Difference of 197.
      For us 518, in the attacking 3rd 139. Difference of 379. Which shows we were doing much with the possession.

You take away the possession, which was always going to be higher because we play our way out from the back, and the stats are very even.

We put away two of our chances and they put away none beyond our keeper kicking the ball against

We deserved the win because we took our chances when they came along - you don’t deserve to win if you can’t take what little chances you create.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #224: Aug 17, 2019 09:07:18 pm
      We put away two of our chances and they put away none beyond our keeper kicking the ball against

We deserved the win because we took our chances when they came along - you don’t deserve to win if you can’t take what little chances you create.

So you’ve changed from us deserving to win because we dominated possession and stats to because we took our chances.
      Spurs took 2 of their 3 chances, City took 2 of 30. Does that mean Spurs deserved to win? Or do City because they dominated possession and stats?

Something I was originally highlighting...the importance of taking your chances and how the points are more important than the performance!

But we got 3 points so what we think of the game is pointless because we got what we will all agree is the main thing and what will impact where we finish the season - 3 points to continue our perfect start.

It’s good we were able to get a gritty win, it’s something you have to do sometimes to be successful and was big part of us being able to finish last season with 97 points and so far ahead of the chasing pack.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019 09:15:19 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #225: Aug 17, 2019 09:14:23 pm
      So you’ve changed from us deserving to win because we dominated possession and stats to because we took our chances.
      Spurs took 2 of their 3 chances, City took 2 of 30. Does that mean Spurs deserved to win? Or do City because they dominated possession and stats?

Something I was originally highlighting...the importance of taking your chances and how the points are more important than the performance!

I’ll put it simple

You stated we didn’t deserve to win , you said they were far the better team in the first half and bar 15 mins in the second

I believe we did deserve to win and get all three points because we shaded overall. We didn’t play great but we did enough more than them to win - they didn’t deserve to walk with something from the game.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #226: Aug 17, 2019 09:16:29 pm

I’ll put it simple

You stated we didn’t deserve to win , you said they were far the better team in the first half and bar 15 mins in the second

I believe we did deserve to win and get all three points because we shaded overall. We didn’t play great but we did enough more than them to win - they didn’t deserve to walk with something from the game.

You don’t need to try and put anything simple, initial point remains of completely misinterpreting what I was saying and I don’t believe for a second that if it was the other way around you would be saying we didn’t deserve anything. But that’s that, we believe what we want.

If you don’t think they were better than us in the first half, I suggest you go back and watch it.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019 09:21:04 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #227: Aug 17, 2019 09:18:15 pm
      All that counts is the final score....
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #228: Aug 17, 2019 09:19:17 pm
      All that counts is the final score....

This!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #229: Aug 17, 2019 09:19:43 pm
      Hi all, haven't posted for a while, hope everybody's ok.

Two games. Six points. We can't ask for much more than that. However this performance today left me on edge slightly.

I thought against Norwich we were jittery at times and looked a bit unorganised at the back. I couldnt help leaving anfield thinking better opposition may have punished us a few times in that game.

Likewise, I thought the same against Chelsea too. If I'm honest I thought Chelsea were the better team over the 120 minutes and I saw the same sort of problems that we had against Norwich.

Today, I thought we were a bit of a shambles at the back and Southampton missed 2 or 3 huge chances.

Luckily for us we have a world class attack and mane and Bobby bailed us out with moments of just sheer quality. Two quality goals.

I'm not pressing any panic buttons just yet by any means. We've just come back from turkey after playing 120 minutes in the blistering heat and we're only on week 2 of our league campaign.

I just find it a little unusual to see us going from defensively solid all through last season to being quite nervous and open at the back all of a sudden.

Two league wins, a cup, and already we're sitting top of the league so I'm not complaining before anybody jumps on my back, but I just want us to dominate our games more and tighten up at the back again. I'm sure it will come in time.

With regards to today's game, I just thought our midfield was poor and non existent. The miss of Fabinho was evident and although I'm still not (and never will be) his greatest admirer I also thought we missed Henderson a lot today too. I understand the need for rotation but the three that were in there today just didn't work at all for me.

With Adrian's mistake it just needs to be forgotten about. It happens. The important thing is it didn't cost us. Alisson actually made a few big mistakes last season, not just at Leicester, but it was never highlighted because we got the points anyway. If Adrian goes on to play half as well of what Alisson did for us last season then it'll never be brought up again.

Despite the above, it's games like this that are so important when it comes to handing out the title in May. In the past, we would have folded and lost that today. But we dug in, showed our quality, and took the points home despite not playing well. The lads need credit for that.

Anyway, a great result for us between city and Spurs. We just need wolves to do the business on Monday and it's been a great week for us.

Quick Reply