Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Southampton?

Adrian
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (6.5%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.3%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.3%)
      Gini Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      56 (72.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      10 (13%)
      Mo Salah
      1 (1.3%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: Aug 21, 2019 04:57:20 pm

Southampton 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 43961 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Re: Southampton 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #230: Aug 17, 2019 09:23:26 pm
      Whatever the performance, I would settle for three points, away at Southampton any day.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #231: Aug 17, 2019 09:43:09 pm
      No, didnā€™t deserve the win. They were by far the better team in the first half and for a good 15mins or so in the second half too. Had Ings not fu**ed that glorious chance then it would have been 2-2 and weā€™d be moaning about having blown a 2 goal lead and ending up with 1 point.

Not sure about the 15 minutes your referring to in the 2nd half mate? I thought we bossed it and should have been at least 3 clear before Adrian did his Karius impression. They certainly kicked our ass first half though.

I'm still cracking up at the city Spurs game, I. Was cursing the screen for a full minute before the goal go t chalked off, hilarious it should happen again after the champions league results a few months earlier. Hilarious!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #232: Aug 17, 2019 09:55:45 pm
      Not sure about the 15 minutes your referring to in the 2nd half mate?

I thought from when Salah went off we lost a bit of the control, then Trent picked up that yellow when he lost the ball cheaply and from the Ings goal until the final whistle I think they were much more likely to score than we were.

I'm still cracking up at the city Spurs game, I. Was cursing the screen for a full minute before the goal go t chalked off, hilarious it should happen again after the champions league results a few months earlier. Hilarious!

Ha is right mate! Just had a feeling they were going to score from that corner and when they did I was so pissed off. VAR between them two has become brilliant. Twice itā€™s ruined City getting a winner :laugh:

Actually touching on VAR, do I remember rightly they chose not to look at a potential Bednarek handball in the box during the 2nd half?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #233: Aug 17, 2019 10:04:54 pm
      Few things stood out for me today and they are in order of importance:

1. 3 points is > all
      2. We miss Allison more than any of us could have even imagined, heā€™s more than just a good shot stopper
      3. Robertson needs a rest. He was poor today which I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever said
      4. Milner should no longer feature more than once in a 7 day stretch unless absolutely needed
      5. Romeu continues to have world class showings against us and nobody else, what an utter bellend
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #234: Aug 17, 2019 10:09:13 pm
      MOTM.......Mane.......2 games in a row
      Bobby=The straw who's stirring the drink right now
      When the Front 3 play unselfishly.......thing of beauty

2nd match in a row where the middle 3 are invisible

Dance too often and too close to the fire and sooner or later..... gonna get burned. LFC is too reliant on the Back 4 + goalie to play keep away/initiate the offense in my opinion. Adrian blew it...but....why can't any of the middle 3 get open. Their lack of possession is an issue. Gini was a no show

Prior to Adrian's pants shitting....he was brilliant

VvD could be the calmest player in history. Makes it look so easy.

Finally.....some well earned rest/training before next Saturday. The fine tuning begins though the Mane/Bobby connection is 10/10 right now

I've pounded the table about Mane all summer and he's making it look easy right now. He will elevate to a new level this year. The game has slowed down for him and his athleticism is rarely matched on the pitch

6 points
      +2 on MNC
      Who's better?  >:D

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #235: Aug 17, 2019 10:17:05 pm
      That's a big win today considering the game on Wednesday. Been out all day so missed it all. The goals were taken nicely, their goal a bit of a sh*t show but like I've said Adrian is a #2 keeper for a reason.

He has to keep his chin up because hes an important player for us until Alisson returns.

Alisson himself can do similar things like that so I never mind too much when it happens and we win regardless. It should sharpen the mind for next time out.

Arsenal at home will be trickier than usual if like is expected Alison isnt in goal.

Theres a lot of room for improvement but we are getting the results in the mean time. For us to trouble City theres a few gears we need to go through as the season continues.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #236: Aug 17, 2019 10:32:32 pm
      Thank you for the 3 points it was hard earned.Our goalkeeper Adrian is far too casual and slow and if he carries on like that he will cost us dearly in future games.I know he made some great saves but he also dropped a few clangers and it could cost us dearly against tougher opposition.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #237: Aug 17, 2019 10:51:25 pm
      We won move on chaps xxx
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #238: Aug 17, 2019 11:31:47 pm
      I was worried after the first half, but my fears dissipated during the second half. We found our feet and dominated from that moment onward.

I think it's the start of the season and we will need a few games in order for the machine to be oiled and running as smoothly as towards the end of last season.

Good game for Ox comparatively to the super cup. One more step towards becoming the influential player he was for us when he got injured. Gini, TAA and Milner all improved on their first two performances of the season.

Mane is just a monster. Bobby is smooth and looks hungrier than ever. Mo is good, but he needs to find that killer finish and make a little bit more of his trademark runs behind the back-lines.

Already can't wait for our next game!

Ohh! And City dropped points! Can't be focusing on them, but it's a good thing for us especially if we can get all 3 points against Arsenal.

YNWA!!!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #239: Aug 17, 2019 11:46:20 pm

You donā€™t need to try and put anything simple, initial point remains of completely misinterpreting what I was saying and I donā€™t believe for a second that if it was the other way around you would be saying we didnā€™t deserve anything. But thatā€™s that, we believe what we want.

If you donā€™t think they were better than us in the first half, I suggest you go back and watch it.

Kenny you need to relax mate, Lallana is making a valid point - Liverpool deserved the win. Itā€™s that simple.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #240: Aug 18, 2019 12:39:20 am
      Kenny you need to relax mate, Lallana is making a valid point - Liverpool deserved the win. Itā€™s that simple.

We got the 3 points and top of the league, it's all good mate.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #241: Aug 18, 2019 12:44:23 am
      After adding stock to our trophy cabinet in mid-week, and playing 120 minutes in the first week of the season this game was all about the result.  We needed the 3 points especially with City dropping points.  I didn't expect us to very good today.  We need another result in our next game against Arsenal next week.   Then hopefully Allison comes back and we start to get some good performances with our 3 pointers. 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #242: Aug 18, 2019 01:00:19 am
      What a game of contrasting halves.

We were total crap in the first half apart from that Sadio rocket. Boy can that lad get us out of trouble.

The 2nd half or most of it anyways was like a training drill until Adrian totally fu**ed it, ensuring it was going to be squeaky bum time for the last 15 minutes. Thanks F**k for Ings missing that sitter. Must still love us!

What I don't understand is Klopp gives some message to our lads at HT that inspires us but why can't he get those words across to the lads when there is any sort of break in play the first half? Does my head in that.

Anyways another 3 points, Top of The League and just another 36 wins to go! Can't help but not be happy after seeing the other results overnight.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #243: Aug 18, 2019 02:41:38 am
      Hi all, haven't posted for a while, hope everybody's ok.

Two games. Six points. We can't ask for much more than that. However this performance today left me on edge slightly.

I thought against Norwich we were jittery at times and looked a bit unorganised at the back. I couldnt help leaving anfield thinking better opposition may have punished us a few times in that game.

Likewise, I thought the same against Chelsea too. If I'm honest I thought Chelsea were the better team over the 120 minutes and I saw the same sort of problems that we had against Norwich.

Today, I thought we were a bit of a shambles at the back and Southampton missed 2 or 3 huge chances.

Luckily for us we have a world class attack and mane and Bobby bailed us out with moments of just sheer quality. Two quality goals.

I'm not pressing any panic buttons just yet by any means. We've just come back from turkey after playing 120 minutes in the blistering heat and we're only on week 2 of our league campaign.

I just find it a little unusual to see us going from defensively solid all through last season to being quite nervous and open at the back all of a sudden.

Two league wins, a cup, and already we're sitting top of the league so I'm not complaining before anybody jumps on my back, but I just want us to dominate our games more and tighten up at the back again. I'm sure it will come in time.

With regards to today's game, I just thought our midfield was poor and non existent. The miss of Fabinho was evident and although I'm still not (and never will be) his greatest admirer I also thought we missed Henderson a lot today too. I understand the need for rotation but the three that were in there today just didn't work at all for me.

With Adrian's mistake it just needs to be forgotten about. It happens. The important thing is it didn't cost us. Alisson actually made a few big mistakes last season, not just at Leicester, but it was never highlighted because we got the points anyway. If Adrian goes on to play half as well of what Alisson did for us last season then it'll never be brought up again.

Despite the above, it's games like this that are so important when it comes to handing out the title in May. In the past, we would have folded and lost that today. But we dug in, showed our quality, and took the points home despite not playing well. The lads need credit for that.

Anyway, a great result for us between city and Spurs. We just need wolves to do the business on Monday and it's been a great week for us.

Good to see you back posting hope all is well.

Yea our performances havenā€™t been great but weā€™re getting the results sure with player fitness getting better we will look more polished.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #244: Aug 18, 2019 07:34:51 am
      Mane's goal was very very vital goal at the best time. Firmino's gave us some air to breathe. Adrian had a very good save in the 1st half from a corner, prevented an Matip's own goal, good shot stopping but was complacent for his error however he saved us points yesterday. AOC was brilliant in our midfield and shows that he's not a wide player.

MOTM Mane.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #245: Aug 18, 2019 08:00:11 am
      The most important thing yesterday was the win, but no excuses now against Arsnal, the defence and midfield need to improve and find the consistency of last season again.
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #246: Aug 18, 2019 08:30:57 am

This is it - Unselfish. Currently, it is unselfish two, the third one is yet to join the party and easily loses possession more than any other out there. Just pass the damn ball and the goals will come!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #247: Aug 18, 2019 10:00:36 am
      This is it - Unselfish. Currently, it is unselfish two, the third one is yet to join the party and easily loses possession more than any other out there. Just pass the damn ball and the goals will come!

Obviously unaware that third one got more assists last season than the ā€œunselfishā€ 2 combined. Not bad for a player that apparently doesnā€™t pass.

Salah has created some really good chances this season already that has taken some last ditch defending to prevent a goal. Bednarek challenge on Firmino for example.

They all have their greedy moments, Salah slightly more so but he wouldnā€™t have 70 goals in his first 2 seasons otherwise, and seeing as we got 97 points and won the CL last season, I donā€™t think itā€™s hampering us too much. Heā€™s hungry for goals, no different to all the big goal scorers both now and in the past.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #248: Aug 18, 2019 10:05:33 am
      Obviously unaware that third one got more assists last season than the ā€œunselfishā€ 2 combined. Not bad for a player that apparently doesnā€™t pass.

Salah has created some really good chances this season already that has taken some last ditch defending to prevent a goal. Bednarek challenge on Firmino for example.

They all have their greedy moments, Salah slightly more so but he wouldnā€™t have 70 goals in his first 2 seasons otherwise, and seeing as we got 97 points and won the CL last season, I donā€™t think itā€™s hampering us too much. Heā€™s hungry for goals, no different to all the big goal scorers both now and in the past.

100%, F***ing hate comments about Salah being selfish, the guy is a phenomenal team player that creates chances for himself and others on a consistent basis.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #249: Aug 18, 2019 10:06:40 am
      MOTM.......Mane.......2 games in a row
      Bobby=The straw who's stirring the drink right now

2nd match in a row where the middle 3 are invisible

Dance too often and too close to the fire and sooner or later..... gonna get burned. LFC is too reliant on the Back 4 + goalie to play keep away/initiate the offense in my opinion. Adrian blew it...but....why can't any of the middle 3 get open. Their lack of possession is an issue. Gini was a no show

Prior to Adrian's pants shitting....he was brilliant

VvD could be the calmest player in history. Makes it look so easy.

Finally.....some well earned rest/training before next Saturday. The fine tuning begins though the Mane/Bobby connection is 10/10 right now

I've pounded the table about Mane all summer and he's making it look easy right now. He will elevate to a new level this year. The game has slowed down for him and his athleticism is rarely matched on the pitch

6 points
      +2 on MNC
      Who's better?  >:D

Selfishness is critical to be a top striker. You will lose some but score some too. There is a fine line for sure but we need to be a little bit reserved on this issue.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #250: Aug 18, 2019 11:18:36 am
      Made up with the 3 points, but thinking our defence is what it is. Solid. Our midfield however is not Jelling like it can, whatever the formation, and thereby putting the defence under extra pressure.
      We clearly donā€™t cover defensively like we are capable of, and we donā€™t seem to be pressing as high and with as much urgency as we have.
      Perhaps itā€™s due to the long week, and for some, the short summer break due to international teams.
      We will get our mojo back thatā€™s for sure, just hope itā€™s before we drop any points.
      Big game against the arse next. Hope weā€™re back in tune for that one.
      As for Adrian, give the guy s break.
      Heā€™s done ok for us so far, not brilliant, couple of cock ups, but if he was GREAT, he wouldnā€™t be a backup for anyone would he !
      He will no doubt learn and hopefully improve as we go along.
      Three games in, six points and a major trophy.
      Also showed sides how to get into city in the charity shield, so their ride might be s bit bumpy this season as well. 😁
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #251: Aug 18, 2019 11:37:46 am
      Made up with the 3 points, but thinking our defence is what it is. Solid. Our midfield however is not Jelling like it can, whatever the formation, and thereby putting the defence under extra pressure.
      We clearly donā€™t cover defensively like we are capable of, and we donā€™t seem to be pressing as high and with as much urgency as we have.
      Perhaps itā€™s due to the long week, and for some, the short summer break due to international teams.
      We will get our mojo back thatā€™s for sure, just hope itā€™s before we drop any points.
      Big game against the arse next. Hope weā€™re back in tune for that one.
      As for Adrian, give the guy s break.
      Heā€™s done ok for us so far, not brilliant, couple of cock ups, but if he was GREAT, he wouldnā€™t be a backup for anyone would he !
      He will no doubt learn and hopefully improve as we go along.
      Three games in, six points and a major trophy.
      Also showed sides how to get into city in the charity shield, so their ride might be s bit bumpy this season as well. 😁

I agree with this and do think the team will son click into gear, its already showing very good signs, but Adrian needs to cut our the cute passing the ball out sh*t, I'm nervous enough when Allison does it but I want a backup keeper to be as solid and risk free as possible please. We could very easily have drawn or even lost yesterday because of one moment of over confidence, he wasn't even pressured into it, he had safe options left and right.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #252: Aug 18, 2019 12:01:59 pm
      Our midfield however is not Jelling like it can, whatever the formation, and thereby putting the defence under extra pressure.

This part of the post reminds me of a question I've been pondering: What is our ideal midfield three?

I know depth and rotation are necessary, but if everyone is fit for a given match, which three players are first choice?

For me Fabinho is one and Oxlaide-Chamberlain (I'm thinking fully recovered and back to pre-injury form) is a 2nd. That essentially leaves Henderson, Gini and Keita as battling for the box-to-box role (and I know we use different systems for different opponents/situations - but thinking as a starting platform here).

I didn't want to start another thread, but maybe it is appropriate here. Curious as to which three you all like.

Quick Reply