Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Southampton?

Adrian
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (6.5%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.3%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.3%)
      Gini Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      56 (72.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      10 (13%)
      Mo Salah
      1 (1.3%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: Aug 21, 2019 04:57:20 pm

Southampton 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 43948 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Southampton 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #253: Aug 18, 2019 12:39:49 pm
      Have people forgotten already that the start to last season was very similar?

We were blowing hot and cold then as well.
      And the season before.

It seems to be a consequence of Klopp's pre-season and early season training.

Then the lads get their game legs fully up to speed, we click and start playing as we can.

This type of early season performance is something we've seen time and time again under Klopp.

Getting the 3 points is all that matters.
      It's all about finding a way to do that.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #254: Aug 18, 2019 01:36:50 pm

And the season before.

Then the lads get their game legs fully up to speed, we click and start playing as we can.

This type of early season performance is something we've seen time and time again under Klopp.

I agree many times last year teams matched us in the first half but could not continue their momentum in the second half and our superior football and fitness shone through
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #255: Aug 18, 2019 02:00:47 pm
      Great win, good game to watch, could have won by 3 or 4 again, but also southampton could have had another goal or 2.

Grab the 3 points and move on, what a crazy weeks its been, 6 points and a trophy, now 7 days till the next game.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #256: Aug 18, 2019 02:12:16 pm
      This part of the post reminds me of a question I've been pondering: What is our ideal midfield three?

I know depth and rotation are necessary, but if everyone is fit for a given match, which three players are first choice?

For me Fabinho is one and Oxlaide-Chamberlain (I'm thinking fully recovered and back to pre-injury form) is a 2nd. That essentially leaves Henderson, Gini and Keita as battling for the box-to-box role (and I know we use different systems for different opponents/situations - but thinking as a starting platform here).

I didn't want to start another thread, but maybe it is appropriate here. Curious as to which three you all like.

Good question, I think it varies on the opposition, in some games we'll want to be more defensive so Fabinho and Hendo as DM's and Ox/keita as AM, in others more attacking so Ox and Keita as AM and Fabinho/Hendo as DM.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #257: Aug 18, 2019 02:52:28 pm
      After a little bit of a shaky first half, that cracker from Mane killed them a little bit. We just carried on our game 2nd half and should of been about four clear before Adriam started handing out gifts. I imagine he won't do that again!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #258: Aug 18, 2019 02:58:19 pm
      After a little bit of a shaky first half, that cracker from Mane killed them a little bit. We just carried on our game 2nd half and should of been about four clear before Adriam started handing out gifts. I imagine he won't do that again!

Think the swollen ankle contributed to Adrian’s misplaced pass..😂
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #259: Aug 18, 2019 05:07:17 pm
      The league is now in our hands.....all we have to do is win all of our temaing  matches
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #260: Aug 18, 2019 06:13:24 pm
      The league is now in our hands.....all we have to do is win all of our temaing  matches

That really made me laugh  :laugh:
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #261: Aug 18, 2019 07:53:05 pm
      Worrying to see another poor start from the guys, starting to become a theme early this season we start slow and build up as the match goes on. Mane goal was really special and knew it would take the stuffing out of Soton who controlled the play the first half. We did very well the second half, played some good stuff and with better finishing should of been up 4-0 make it easy on us but Adrian blunder in typical fashion made for nervy last 10 minutes.

Again a very positive sign to see if our front three seem to be in good form early which we will need because with Adrian in nets for the next few weeks I feel like clean sheets are going to be rare so need the scoring boots to be on.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #262: Aug 18, 2019 09:06:11 pm
      All well and good the players having
      A full week off between matches.
      I’m doing my nut with boredom already, although come Thursday night I’ll be as nervous as a kitten in a pit bull kennel.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #263: Aug 18, 2019 09:19:23 pm
      I dont think your typical Liverpool good performance was ever likely to be on the cards on Saturday. All that mattered was the win. Its capped off a very good start to the season for the club, in which we have 2 wins in the league and silverware in the cabinet with the hope of more to come.

All in all about as good as we could have done.

We will have to improve performances and sort out a few defensive lapses. Arsenal will open us up if we allow them space on the ball and play with a high line like we are doing, but the week in between games will allow us to rest when we need too and work on a few things in the mean time.

I'm expecting us to be a different animal by Saturday tea time.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #264: Aug 18, 2019 10:25:37 pm
      Adrian is very lucky. He made the same mistake twice in this game and only one turned into a goal. I hope he never does that again.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #265: Aug 18, 2019 11:10:30 pm

And the season before.

Yep, I agree, the fitness levels aren't quite there as yet. We're still playing a very high line but it's vulnerable because the lads ahead are not pressing the ball with the ferocity or regularity that we are used to seeing.

Having come through 120 minutes in the heat of Istanbul and then the game at Saints in quick succession I think we will see a fitter team and a more committed press when the Gooners come into town next Saturday.

I agree many times last year teams matched us in the first half but could not continue their momentum in the second half and our superior football and fitness shone through

Had this exact conversation with my mate earlier, teams go all out and play at break neck speed against us but it simply isn't sustainable for more than 60 minutes and invariably they fade a little and then get their butts kicked!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #266: Aug 19, 2019 09:57:32 am
      Yep, I agree, the fitness levels aren't quite there as yet. We're still playing a very high line but it's vulnerable because the lads ahead are not pressing the ball with the ferocity or regularity that we are used to seeing.

Having come through 120 minutes in the heat of Istanbul and then the game at Saints in quick succession I think we will see a fitter team and a more committed press when the Gooners come into town next Saturday.

Had this exact conversation with my mate earlier, teams go all out and play at break neck speed against us but it simply isn't sustainable for more than 60 minutes and invariably they fade a little and then get their butts kicked!

And considering how strong our bench is now, with so many MF options, and Origi being on form we can rotate the front 3 a bit now too. The tactic of starting Origi now and again, then bringing on salah or Mane for last 30mins, boosh how annoying would that be for a defender who has already been ran ragged. ;-)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #267: Aug 19, 2019 10:02:45 am
      And considering how strong our bench is now, with so many MF options, and Origi being on form we can rotate the front 3 a bit now too. The tactic of starting Origi now and again, then bringing on salah or Mane for last 30mins, boosh how annoying would that be for a defender who has already been ran ragged. ;-)

Plus Brewster and Shaq who can also play attack, I want to see Jürgen giving them all plenty of minutes and really start to rotate the attack a bit more, keep everyone fresh.
      Its looking good though, especially if we beat Arsenal on Saturday.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #268: Aug 19, 2019 11:31:26 am
      This part of the post reminds me of a question I've been pondering: What is our ideal midfield three?

I know depth and rotation are necessary, but if everyone is fit for a given match, which three players are first choice?

For me Fabinho is one and Oxlaide-Chamberlain (I'm thinking fully recovered and back to pre-injury form) is a 2nd. That essentially leaves Henderson, Gini and Keita as battling for the box-to-box role (and I know we use different systems for different opponents/situations - but thinking as a starting platform here).

I didn't want to start another thread, but maybe it is appropriate here. Curious as to which three you all like.

With everyone fit, if that ever happens, then Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Ox starts for me.
      Although Keita probably gets in there if we ever see him get a solid run of games together.
      Fabinho in the 6 picks itself and then it's 2 from 5 of Wijnaldum/Henderson/Ox/Milner/Keita.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #269: Aug 19, 2019 12:36:39 pm

It's not so much the fitness levels, as fatigue.
      Klopp does double and triple training sessions pre-season, and the benefits later in the season are there for all to see, but it means we get fatigued early season.
      Our schedule certainly didn't help, but this early season fatigue has been a feature of his tenure.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #270: Aug 19, 2019 01:25:03 pm
      Scrappy win and not at our best, but we should determination and i am just glad we got 3 points.  better performances will be on the way.

Well done lads.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #271: Aug 19, 2019 02:20:21 pm
      Good question, I think it varies on the opposition, in some games we'll want to be more defensive so Fabinho and Hendo as DM's and Ox/keita as AM, in others more attacking so Ox and Keita as AM and Fabinho/Hendo as DM.

I know the roles they play. Which three are your first choice?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #272: Aug 19, 2019 02:24:26 pm
      With everyone fit, if that ever happens, then Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Ox starts for me.
      Although Keita probably gets in there if we ever see him get a solid run of games together.
      Fabinho in the 6 picks itself and then it's 2 from 5 of Wijnaldum/Henderson/Ox/Milner/Keita.

I think the idea in planning the squad 2-3 seasons ago was Fab, Keita and Ox, although midfield is the position with this system that would need the most rotation over a season. And I know we are still waiting for validation from Naby. Hopefully soon.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #273: Aug 19, 2019 02:41:56 pm
      I know the roles they play. Which three are your first choice?

Its hard nowadays to have a 1st choice with so many brilliant players and so many games and so much rotation.

When all fit though and all at peak of powers, Id probably go with Fab, Naby & the ox. thats really harsh on Gini, Hendo & Milner.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #274: Aug 19, 2019 03:00:51 pm
      Adrian is very lucky. He made the same mistake twice in this game and only one turned into a goal. I hope he never does that again.

All teams are playing their way out from the 6 yard box.Mistakes will happen The Ad man while he's in will have to stay razor shape but the same will apply to AB when he comes back. We should do speciality training to pounce on any slight error by keepers.It's the way it is now.Not everybody thinks it's the best way but were all in for a few flutters..probably at least one a game..may be more.
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #275: Aug 19, 2019 03:59:17 pm
      Given the length of the mid week game against Chelsea, 3 points is a wonderful result!

Quick Reply