Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Arsenal Saturday 24th August 5:30pm

Read 11587 times
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 727 posts | 111 
      Pre-Match: Liverpool V Arsenal Saturday 24th August 5:30pm
      Aug 22, 2019 12:02:18 pm
      The last two remaining teams with 100% records in the Premier League clash on Saturday evening. I think this will be closer than our two previous encounters at Anfield. I think we will beat them but it will be tight. They will park the bus and try to pick us off on the counter with their attacking players, some of whom do look pretty good. I'm not sure about Adrian yet ... he made some excellent stops against Southampton but he was caught out with the ball at his feet twice in that game, and building from the goalie is a big part of our game - particularly against those sides that want to sit deep.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Arsenal Saturday 24th August 5:30pm
      Reply #1: Aug 22, 2019 12:57:49 pm
      The last two remaining teams with 100% records in the Premier League clash on Saturday evening. I think this will be closer than our two previous encounters at Anfield. I think we will beat them but it will be tight. They will park the bus and try to pick us off on the counter with their attacking players, some of whom do look pretty good. I'm not sure about Adrian yet ... he made some excellent stops against Southampton but he was caught out with the ball at his feet twice in that game, and building from the goalie is a big part of our game - particularly against those sides that want to sit deep.

I don't think they will park the bus, their defense isn't good enough to do so. But they do have dangerous players on the counterattack and I haven't been convinced with defense so far this season so I think we will concede.

But our attack looks pretty  exciting already this season and I'm sure Ox would love to stick one in against a team who ignored him for years.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #2: Aug 22, 2019 01:21:16 pm
      Can see us winning 4-2, neither defence is up to much at the moment, but our front 3 are better. Having said that our midfield is stronger.

YNWA
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #3: Aug 22, 2019 01:51:24 pm
      I can't see them being too much of a threat and we are better all over the park.

I know Emery was half joking about not wanting to play us but think there is a little bit of truth in that and they are slightly scared.

4-1
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #4: Aug 22, 2019 02:11:21 pm
      Not as confident as usual because surely our superb home form against arsenal has to end soon?

I’m out on a beano in Shoreditch Saturday and convinced all the lads to stop into a pub to watch this.

Hope it doesn’t ruin what should be a pukka day
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Aug 22, 2019 02:59:48 pm
      They have a good attack, but as usual their defense can be got at, could be a 3 or 4 - 1 to the mighty reds.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Aug 22, 2019 04:42:52 pm
      Hoping to see our midfield really step up after a couple of days off and then a week of proper training. I do not want to see us yield control of possession for an entire half again. expecting to see Fab, Gini and Jordan as the starters in the middle.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #7: Aug 22, 2019 05:59:47 pm
      Gomez to start for me pace could be crucial
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8: Aug 22, 2019 08:45:23 pm
      They are looking better than they were last season no doubt but are still a way off in matching us ,f***in miles away truth be told, that's not to say though that they can't give us a problem or three,

Difficult to predict how the game will pan out, however if we play anywhere near or best they won't cope with our intensity,  they do have a few good player's and a smattering of very good ones too but defensively they are lacking , and their mids are no better than ours,

I think we'll prove too much for them, I can see a tight game initially but once we hit our stride they'll be in a world of sh*t,

Adrian
               Trent  Matip VvD Robertson
                                 Fabinho
                      Henderson  Oxlade Ch
                        Salah Firmino Mane

Bench; Kelleher, Gomez, Milner,  Gini,
                       Divock, Lallana,  Brewster

3-1 Mighty Redmen

YNWA
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Aug 22, 2019 09:58:23 pm
      Arsenal will always be Arsenal and are a team we should be looking to beat comfortably.

As ever they will play an open game and we can exploit the gaps that always present themselves.

Sort ourselves out defensively and we can get at these mercilessly.

By the end of it, Sokratis might change his mind that Burnley are harder to defend against than we are.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #10: Aug 22, 2019 10:12:04 pm
      The only thing that worries me is the keeper. But I think the week of prep and having come through a difficult week fitness wise will be a massive benefit. I’m expecting a high energy performance by the lads and a 3-1 win. I’m at a festival on Saturday so will have to rely on phone updates to keep track of this one
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #11: Aug 22, 2019 11:06:03 pm
      A win and three points will do very nicely !
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #12: Aug 22, 2019 11:22:07 pm
      They are looking better than they were last season no doubt but are still a way off in matching us ,f***in miles away truth be told, that's not to say though that they can't give us a problem or three,

Difficult to predict how the game will pan out, however if we play anywhere near or best they won't cope with our intensity,  they do have a few good player's and a smattering of very good ones too but defensively they are lacking , and their mids are no better than ours,

I think we'll prove too much for them, I can see a tight game initially but once we hit our stride they'll be in a world of sh*t,

Adrian
               Trent  Matip VvD Robertson
                                 Fabinho
                      Henderson  Oxlade Ch
                        Salah Firmino Mane

Bench; Kelleher, Gomez, Milner,  Gini,
                       Divock, Lallana,  Brewster

3-1 Mighty Redmen

YNWA

I won't put TAA and OX (or Naby) together when facing a top six side... too risky!
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Aug 23, 2019 01:22:26 am
      Hard to get a handle on this Arsenal team. Obviously we have a bit of history with Unai Emery, he was in charge of Seville when they beat us in the Europa Cup final in 2016. He also won the EC in 2014 & 2015. So his teams are not easy to beat at any time. Could well be a very difficult game.Expecting this to go down to the wire. Would not be surprised if it ended goaless.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #14: Aug 23, 2019 01:37:53 am
      Hard to get a handle on this Arsenal team. Obviously we have a bit of history with Unai Emery, he was in charge of Seville when they beat us in the Europa Cup final in 2016. He also won the EC in 2014 & 2015. So his teams are not easy to beat at any time. Could well be a very difficult game.Expecting this to go down to the wire. Would not be surprised if it ended goaless.

Hope it does end up goalless (for them) as I've predicted our first clean sheet of the Season, albeit before Ali got injured but I never change my predictions so it may be fingers crossed and squeaky bum time! 2-0 to the Redmen COYR
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: Aug 23, 2019 03:22:45 am
      Hope it does end up goalless (for them) as I've predicted our first clean sheet of the Season, albeit before Ali got injured but I never change my predictions so it may be fingers crossed and squeaky bum time! 2-0 to the Redmen COYR

Of course he was their manager for this fixture last season when we beat them 5-1, after a 1-1 draw at Emirates.

If he can teach his players to use handball in the area for defense and not be caught (like Seville did more than once in the Europa League final), that might help his chances.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: Aug 23, 2019 03:52:48 am
      As is usual I go into every match believing we will win,this is no different.We have a squad of players who genuinely want to play for Jürgen Klopp and L.F.C. and you cannot buy that. :scarf:
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #17: Aug 23, 2019 01:26:08 pm
      Our week of should have helped on a couple of fronts ,time to work on a few things and a bit of rest after our hectic start  .
      I'd say they have a threat up front but nothing that we cant handle
      3 points and a clean sheet would do nicely
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #18: Aug 23, 2019 01:35:00 pm
      Adrian

Trent Matip VVD Robbo

Fabinho Hendo Gini

Salah Bobby Mane
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #19: Aug 23, 2019 02:35:59 pm
      Like to see better start than the past 4 games where we come out of the gates slow, there could be goals in this as i expect Arsenal to come at us which works well for use considering the type of form our front three have been in this season. I do expect goals given Arsenal poor away form but I don't expect us to keep clean sheet so the attack will be need to be on point. As for the line-up I expect Fabinho for Milner but curious to see if if they swap Hendo in for Gini/Ox. I think you will see this line-up

----------------Adrian---------------
      TAA-----Matip-------VvD----Robbo
      ----Gini-------Fabinho----Ox-------
      --Salah-------Firmino--------Mane

Subs: Longergan, Gomez, Milner, Hendo, Lallana, Shiqiri, Origi
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #20: Aug 23, 2019 07:22:40 pm
      Gonna be some game at the weekend Liverpool Vs Arsenal. Joint top of the League on 6 points... with 6 Champions Leagues/European Cups between them.
      @NickyAllt

:lmao:
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #21: Aug 23, 2019 08:42:15 pm
      Really nervous about this one
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #22: Aug 23, 2019 09:30:45 pm
      I thought last year Arsenal were a better team than their finishing position really made out.  A lot of time for their attacking players.

Maybe the Ozil factor had a bit of a bearing on the whole squad - seemed to be a bit of a central character that Emery needed to stamp down on.

Think the manager has decent and expecting them to improve second season just as we did once Jürgen had a good year in England.

As for tomorrow's game - can't see it being the usual mad affair between the two teams but I'd be made up with just getting the 3 points.  We've not been blistering so far and I don't think it will be tomorrow either.  Give me a 1-0 now.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #23: Aug 23, 2019 10:41:31 pm
      Deffo got the big game feel to it.Sky have a countdown clock.No doubt part of the hard sell to the market.But if we put them away then feel good factor will be on the up and up. Easy to say we will nail them but it's a close one.Just think the Boss might play Gomez ar RB. So much has happened to Trent in 12-18 months maybe the Boss thinks he needs careful handling. Defensively he's still learning and obviously time is on his side.

Adrian

Gomez  Matip  VVD  Robbo
      Ox  Hendo  Fabinho
      Salah  Bobby  Mane.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Aug 23, 2019 11:55:14 pm
      Don't think we will be smashing 4 or 5 goals past them this time, can see it being a scraped win. But as long as we get the 3 points is what matters most.

Remember last year, when we thumped them 5-1, the Maitland-Niles goal celebration really pissed me off but we soon had him feeling sorry for himself. Be nice if we can obliterate them again but my head says it wont happen...despite their defence being shocking.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #25: Aug 24, 2019 07:25:46 am
      I’m on hols in Cornwall so will need to find s pub somewhere to watch this one.
      I know we are the better side, but when you have players who can finish well, you always have a chance. With our current form not being 100% just yet, I am worried this could go tits up. Hoping the extended break has given us enough rest and time to adjust, so going for 3:1 but still nervous as F**k.
      If we can start solid and hit top form they won’t live with us, so that’s what I’m praying for.
      Also they are usually considered a top 4 side, so wining this will rebuild the confidence and belief we can go all the way unbeaten this season, with less draws as well.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #26: Aug 24, 2019 08:01:05 am
      I’m on hols in Cornwall so will need to find s pub somewhere to watch this one.

Wherabouts, mate?
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #27: Aug 24, 2019 09:25:19 am
      You can’t spell Arsenal without arse.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #28: Aug 24, 2019 01:36:29 pm
      4 hours til kickoff. Anyone else interested?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #29: Aug 24, 2019 01:41:32 pm
      I’m buzzing for today
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #30: Aug 24, 2019 01:45:52 pm
      This one has goals written all over it
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #31: Aug 24, 2019 01:52:02 pm

Feeling positive kiddo, We’re going to be ok, cant say the same about the arsenal defence, I’m going for a 4-1 win..

Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #32: Aug 24, 2019 01:59:59 pm
      4 hours til kickoff. Anyone else interested?
      Always interested in every reds game mate,like every red but always look forward to the arse coming to town & sending them packing with there tails between their legs followed by watching there fans lose there sh*t on arseTV
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #33: Aug 24, 2019 04:21:16 pm
      On a touring site, trethem mill,
      Mr St Mawes.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #34: Aug 24, 2019 04:24:25 pm

Trethem mill. A touring site near St Mawes.

Quick Reply