Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Nike confirmed as LFC kit supplier from 2020-21. (Updated 07/01/20)

Read 96295 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Nike linked with new LFC Kit deal
      Reply #46: Sep 24, 2019 11:21:33 pm
      Wow, New Balance maybe need to re-think how you treat the company you would like to have a continuing relationship with...taking them to court isn't really the best tactic to a good working relationship.

Piss off NB...bring on Nike.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #47: Sep 24, 2019 11:59:42 pm
      Wow, New Balance maybe need to re-think how you treat the company you would like to have a continuing relationship with...taking them to court isn't really the best tactic to a good working relationship.

Bit unfair on NB no..?

They have a contractual agreement in place to match an increased offer from another brand if one was tabled..

NB are exercising their right, just as FSG would do too..
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #48: Sep 25, 2019 12:03:26 am
      Bring on Nike. NB are rubbish.

NB have two issues - if you're lucky enough to order a kit/training item when they have stock, you're probably going to have a damaged item after a couple months. Logos peeling off etc.

Their kits are decent looking, but can taint them with the same criticism other manufacturers get - they do just copy and paste the same template for each club.

Their training gear is average, too. Whereas Nike nail it with that kind of stuff.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #49: Sep 25, 2019 12:20:35 am
      Bit unfair on NB no..?

They have a contractual agreement in place to match an increased offer from another brand if one was tabled..

Don't think it's unfair personally. The Nike deal is to include extra bonuses if certain sale targets are met, if I read it right. How are we supposed to hit the targets required to get the extra bonuses when NB have proven that they can't match the supply demand.

Instead of taking us to court because they want us to accept their matched offer, they should be doing all they can to prove they can meet the quantity demands.

It's not a good look from NB pulling a stunt like this when some of their kits are still sold out.

Nike will be able to meet the demand required meaning both parties benefit.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #50: Sep 25, 2019 01:43:15 am
      Bit unfair on NB no..?

Considering it's been three months since Champions League badged home kits were in stock, I'm at the end of my tether with NB. It is only an assumption, but I can't imagine the Nike machine lagging that much when they know the sales are there waiting.

While NB may be able to match the monetary value, I can't imagine all the other aspects of the deal they can get anywhere close with.

NB kits have been a lot better than I expected - really well done the last couple years. Can take or leave the rest of it, though - and that's where Nike absolutely slay. Bring them on.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #51: Sep 25, 2019 03:32:54 am
      Now the PL home kit is also sold out -only the elite one is available- and you can't pre-order de GK kit.

NB doesn't have what it takes to be the Liverpool kit provider anymore.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #52: Sep 25, 2019 11:30:39 am
      Bit unfair on NB no..?

But technically they arenā€™t matching the offer are they if their distribution and sales network canā€™t compete with Nikeā€™s. Which means we donā€™t sell as much merch and fans are up in arms because they canā€™t find it in stock anywhere. I like some of New Balanceā€™s shoes, but they are small potatoes in the sportswear world where Nike is on top. We should be with the biggest and best because thatā€™s who we are and aspire to be.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #53: Sep 25, 2019 12:16:14 pm
      But technically they arenā€™t matching the offer are they if their distribution and sales network canā€™t compete with Nikeā€™s. Which means we donā€™t sell as much merch and fans are up in arms because they canā€™t find it in stock anywhere. I like some of New Balanceā€™s shoes, but they are small potatoes in the sportswear world where Nike is on top. We should be with the biggest and best because thatā€™s who we are and aspire to be.

So if NB match the NIKE offer thatā€™s not the issue but distribution?, how does the club loose out financially if not enough shirts are produced, unless the club get a further drink on shirt sales then NIKE is more appealing from a distribution point.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #54: Sep 25, 2019 12:41:43 pm
      So if NB match the NIKE offer thatā€™s not the issue but distribution?, how does the club loose out financially if not enough shirts are produced, unless the club get a further drink on shirt sales then NIKE is more appealing from a distribution point.

I would think the club would want the gear in the hands of as many fans as possible no?

You grow the fanbase from a commercial side by making sure anyone who wants your stuff can get it.

Not to mention, if no one outside of Liverpool can walk into a store and buy gear....that's not a good look for a big club.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #55: Sep 25, 2019 12:53:05 pm
      Not a fan of Nike, maybe because we have never had them as a Kit maker, but mainly because of their Brasil Nike tour, and saturation of the market. But money talks, and if you can't beat them.. join them.

NB's money is as good as Nike's, but some of the Kits have for me not been that good, Nike are hard ballers in negotiations as I know the Ev got shafted well and truly, I wonder why City changed, was it due to the size of the market they demand.

We are in the driving seat here  :holyshit:, and Nike want a piece of our pie, like Dragon's Den, who has the best business model, who has the best distribution, who has the best brand, who would (maybe) sponsor a new stand?

I'm at an age, where I appreciate loyalty.... means nothing, it's not personal, its business.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #56: Sep 25, 2019 01:04:59 pm
      I would think the club would want the gear in the hands of as many fans as possible no?

You grow the fanbase from a commercial side by making sure anyone who wants your stuff can get it.

Not to mention, if no one outside of Liverpool can walk into a store and buy gear....that's not a good look for a big club.

Maybe Iā€™m missing something here, NIKE give us Ā£80 million a year, how do we loose financially if not all supporters around the club get access to our products ?, unless NIKE offer us a further percentage on sales, thatā€™s how we gain.

Iā€™m guessing the club wants a better kit distribution with a percentage of world sales on top of the Ā£80 million per year than what NB offer.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #57: Sep 25, 2019 03:05:57 pm

NB know LFC are their best bet at staying in with the Elite teams and players.
      Not surprised they've dug in, but if LFC have a percentage clause in the Nike deal then surely NB aren't able to match that.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #58: Sep 25, 2019 03:45:19 pm
      surely if there is legal proceedings taking place it would have to be soon since all the new kits will have to be made before the spring?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #59: Sep 25, 2019 08:26:44 pm
      surely if there is legal proceedings taking place it would have to be soon since all the new kits will have to be made before the spring?

The Athletic says NB have 20-21 designs already done.

I don't think they can afford to lose LFC as a football "marquee" partner.

That said though, their supply lines haven't been able to keep up with demand this year.
      Sold out before the season even started and now sold out again.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #60: Sep 26, 2019 08:04:59 pm
      Bit unfair on NB no..?

Nah just Michael Gordon doing his job and extracting as much cash out of either Nike or NB. Either way, the suits have played a blinder with this one.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #61: Sep 26, 2019 10:01:47 pm
      Bit unfair on NB no..?

Hard to say unless we knew the details of the agreement. What does "matching" mean, anyway? is it only the $, or distribution, supply, etc?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #62: Sep 26, 2019 10:55:36 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #63: Sep 27, 2019 05:53:05 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #64: Sep 27, 2019 06:35:44 pm

Interesting...so Gordon and crew obviously want to promote our brand so that non-football types will buy our stuff as opposed to the main market being actual supporters.

Not sure I like that so much. Although that's also why NB has said they've "matched" the offer, because the 30m isn't that much, but there's no way that NB can match Nike's distribution and marketing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #65: Sep 27, 2019 07:44:14 pm
      Interesting...so Gordon and crew obviously want to promote our brand so that non-football types will buy our stuff as opposed to the main market being actual supporters.

Donā€™t think itā€™s so much that, more a case of using them to cash in on maximum profit, what way to achieve that than by using some of the worlds biggest profiles. Similar to Nike and PSG using that whole air Jordan thing.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #66: Sep 27, 2019 08:21:29 pm
      Full article:

Nike kit deal would guarantee Liverpool only Ā£30m per year

exclusive
      Paul Joyce, Northern Football Correspondent
      September 27 2019, 5:00pm, The Times

New Balance has started legal proceedings against Liverpool for what it believes is a breach of a matching clause agreement

Liverpoolā€™s proposed new kit deal with Nike is only worth a guaranteed Ā£30 million per year, according to High Court papers seen by The Times.

On top of that agreement, there is a commitment from the American sportswear manufacturers to pay the club a 20 per cent royalty on net sales of Liverpool Football Club products and promote the club through stars like tennis player Serena Williams and musician Drake.

The base figure is surprising and less than the present Ā£45 million-a-year deal with New Balance, which has commenced legal proceedings against the Anfield club claiming it can match Nikeā€™s terms.

It is also below the Ā£50 million-plus-a-year deals negotiated by Premier League rivals Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur with Nike, and also the Ā£71 million-a-year agreement Nike struck with Paris Saint-Germain in the summer.

However, Liverpool believe Nike can ā€œdeliver far greater total revenue for the club than has been generated by the present deal with New Balance, because of the royalties that will be generated by Nikeā€™s extensive distribution network.ā€

The Anfield hierarchy is essentially backing the success manager JĆ¼rgen Klopp is driving on the pitch in transforming the club into Champions League winners, and Premier League leaders, to continue. Shirt sales increase with on-field success.

The battle to manufacture Liverpoolā€™s kit from 2020-21 is to be settled by a High Court judge next month after New Balance said it can replicate the ā€œmaterial, measurable and matchable terms of the Nikeā€ deal.

It alleges Liverpool are in breach of a matching clause agreement allowing it to extend its contract to manufacture the kit.

Nike would use global superstars like Williams to help market Liverpoolā€™s kitNike would use global superstars like Williams to help market Liverpoolā€™s kit

Papers served to the commercial court of the High Court reveal the Ā£30 million figure and also that Nike would plan to market Liverpool through initiatives which feature not less than three ā€œnon-football global superstar athletes and influencers of the calibre ofā€ Williams, Drake and LeBron James.

James, who plays basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers, is a minor shareholder in Liverpool.

The court papers outline that Liverpoolā€™s desire to ditch New Balance and switch to Nike is linked to distribution of the new kit.

Liverpool entered into exclusive negotiations with New Balance in 2018 with regard to an extension of the existing contract, which focused on New Balanceā€™s ability to ā€œimprove its global distribution network.ā€

The club commissioned an independent review into New Balance by Deloitte which concluded Nike could ā€œsuper charge distribution in a way challenger brands [like New Balance] are not able to do.ā€

Nike has said it will distribute a new kit through ā€œ6,000 global doorsā€ with New Balance having not exceeded ā€œ3,000 global doors.ā€

However, New Balance insists it can match the same deal as Nike and believe it has proved it can meet demand when the club is thriving on the pitch, having delivered two of the biggest selling home kits for Liverpool fans.

In a statement at the start of the week, a spokesman for New Balance added it would ā€œcontinue to match the ambition and achievements of the club as it grows from strength to strength.ā€

A three-day trial has been listed from October 18.

From The Times

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #67: Sep 27, 2019 09:56:11 pm
      👀

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #68: Sep 28, 2019 01:18:10 am
      The shirts look sharp and I don't really care which company sponsors us, but I want to say that I hope Nike don't start getting involved in our transfer business the way they do with Barcelona. I don't want anything but football dictating decisions as opposed to someone having a personal gear deal with Nike or whatever. Maybe that isn't on the cards at all, but I just wanted to make that statement. I think Klopp if a person of integrity and I don't want to see the club delve into the greedy swamp that besets so much of high-level football these days.

Quick Reply