Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Adrián
      0 (0%)
      Andy Roberston
      1 (1.6%)
      Joel Matip
      11 (17.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      3 (4.8%)
      Gini Wijnaldum
      1 (1.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (4.8%)
      Sadio Mané
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      9 (14.3%)
      Mo Salah
      34 (54%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: Aug 27, 2019 04:56:42 pm

Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27203 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Liverpool 3:1 Arsenal. In match and post game discussion.
      Reply #184: Aug 26, 2019 07:45:58 am
      Only down side for me, is having to wait a whole week before witnessing some of the same !
      On the up side, another full week of training and rest will hopefully see us go up another gear 😂
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #185: Aug 26, 2019 09:44:59 am
      Great win.

Arsenal were dangerous on the break, but as usual have a dodgy defense, esp. when up against a team that press so well like us.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #186: Aug 26, 2019 12:01:17 pm
      Exciting thing after that win is we absolutely absolutely battered them, but my feeling was one of we could have played so much better.

Seems like we still have a few levels to go up, but we are still far and away better than most teams.

And Salah is looking rapid, fancy him to be hitting 35+ again this year if he stays fit, looks brilliant.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #187: Aug 26, 2019 12:33:14 pm
      Only down side for me, is having to wait a whole week before witnessing some of the same !
      On the up side, another full week of training and rest will hopefully see us go up another gear 😂

At least in that time we don’t have a game, Burnley have.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #188: Aug 26, 2019 03:49:09 pm
      We were totally in control of the match, to the extent we got a bit complacent at the end. The positive for me is that we are beating good teams whilst still being a bit disjointed, we will only get better as the season goes on!
      I know its still very early in the season but I dont feel that Citeh are at quite the same level as last year, even allowing for a bit of rustiness, they just seem a bit below par or perhaps teams have finally figured out that you can actually attack them and score or at least they think that they might as well try.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #189: Aug 26, 2019 04:37:59 pm
      I was very impressed and pleased to see the performance, we really controlled the game from the start which is something we have not done so far this season, we could of scored a few more goals with the chances we created. I thought it was a very good game from the trio of Fabinho/Gini/Hendo who all very lively, won the ball and were very good in possession. Firmino again looks extremely good, his first tough has been amazing this season and allowing him to control the game either holding the ball up or mixing with Salah/Mane in attack.

Now on to Burnley!

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #190: Aug 26, 2019 05:22:13 pm
      Apologies for the delay in putting up the MOTM poll - it gets done automatically and the system had a brainfart on Saturday.  It has now been kindly added by racerx.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #191: Aug 27, 2019 02:35:54 am
      Fantastic win for us on Saturday. Controlled the game without getting out of second gear. As others have already mentioned, we're streets ahead of Arsenal now and it's just more evidence of how good a job Jürgen klopp has done with our football club.

As good as our win was and as dominant as we were, there were still minor concerns for me. I thought we gifted Arsenal a couple of golden opportunities which they should have put away in truth. Teams will always have chances in the premierleague but I don't think we're as solid as what we were last season just yet.

This is no criticism of Adrian at all, he's a very decent back up goalie, but I do think Alison's absence is very noticeable and you realise just how good of a goalkeeper he actually is.

Salah motm for me. That second goal of his was insanely good. And that's the thing about us. Our front three are that good that it doesn't matter what football match we play. It doesn't matter where we go. We will always be in a game with those three.

Three wins from three, top of the league, it's all looking good. And we're nowhere near our best yet either.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #192: Aug 27, 2019 03:24:15 am
      Just watched it again and for 70 minutes or so, we were even better than I remembered. Yes, Arsenal created a few chances on the counter, but for much of that time they struggled to get past the center circle. The work of Mane, Gini, Matip and Fabinho with the press in particular. Some of the passing from the fullbacks, Fabinho and Henderson, and the constant threat from the forwards.....!

I watched Spurs vs. Newcastle Sunday and thought it was a decent game of football, but the entertainment value of our match is just so far beyond those, and I think that is much more than the impact of my fan interest being with our game. We've got something special going on before our eyes.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #193: Aug 27, 2019 04:33:17 am
       :aaliverpool2xt1:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #194: Aug 27, 2019 08:20:23 am
      Apologies for the delay in putting up the MOTM poll - it gets done automatically and the system had a brainfart on Saturday.  It has now been kindly added by racerx.

Nice one Racerton 😉
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #195: Aug 27, 2019 09:20:41 am

It was pretty much a no brainer anyway once Mo got his second.

An 8 page thread for a win over Arsenal???
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #196: Aug 27, 2019 09:25:22 am
      It was pretty much a no brainer anyway once Mo got his second.

An 8 page thread for a win over Arsenal???

Have noticed it's very quiet on here the last wee while.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #197: Aug 27, 2019 10:00:25 am
      Have noticed it's very quiet on here the last wee while.

Nothing to moan about Higgy.. 😎
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #198: Aug 27, 2019 11:18:42 am
      Nothing to moan about Higgy.. 😎

Would say you're not far wrong there pal.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #199: Aug 27, 2019 11:48:22 am

Didn't feel right without one.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #200: Aug 27, 2019 11:52:56 am
      First proper performance of the season in my view.  Dominated with a lot of slick movement and, but for the final ball, could have had a few more. 

Thought Robbo & Trent's crossing was a bit off; too many too deep in the first half in particular.

The front 3 look so sharp at the mo; long may that continue.

Gutted we didn't get the clean sheet, even though it resulted in a perfect for me in the Prediction League!  Think we need to start getting clean sheets so teams don't feel like they have good chance of scoring when the line up against us.

Looking good, though a tricky away game at Burnley is on the horizon.  Let's keep out advantage!

COYR!!!

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #201: Aug 27, 2019 11:54:49 am
      I was watching it my with my flat mate, an Arsenal fan, and at several points in the second half he exasperatedly begged us to "stop attacking for just a second."

Love that new quote from Jürgen: "our identity is intensity."

I imagine Dani Ceballos was thinking this Premiership lark isn't so difficult, then the poor lad turns up in L4 and is never seen again...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #202: Aug 27, 2019 11:55:40 am

I watched Spurs vs. Newcastle Sunday and thought it was a decent game of football, but the entertainment value of our match is just so far beyond those, and I think that is much more than the impact of my fan interest being with our game. We've got something special going on before our eyes.

Toon played a 5-3-2 all match and the Spuds couldn't even get into their penalty area. Didn't have an answer.

I couldn't ever see that happening with the interchange of Mo Bobby and Sadio    with Trent and Andy getting in behind.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #203: Aug 27, 2019 11:55:50 am
      First proper performance of the season in my view.

Agreed.  Although we got the results in that first week of the Premier League/Super Cup we looked a bit sluggish for most of those games.  Think we overdid the travelling in pre-season. 

Don't think it's any coincidence that our best performance came after the first real week of just solid training.

Gutted we didn't get the clean sheet, even though it resulted in a perfect for me in the Prediction League!

7 pointer for me too.  I've given up on hopes of clean sheets until Alisson's back.

I imagine Dani Ceballos was thinking this Premiership lark isn't so difficult, then the poor lad turns up in L4 and is never seen again...

Took a bit of a schooling that lad, although its not a bad thing to get such a pasting early on.  Will probably focus his mind a bit.  Big thing I didn't understand with Arsenal's summer transfers was David Luiz.  I thought he was past his best about 3 or 4 years ago. 

If they were buying him for cover fair enough, but I think they have bought him to be a first choice CB?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #204: Aug 27, 2019 11:58:48 am
      Quote from Rush
      Trent needs to stop giving the ball away so much. That's about the only criticism I have though.

Well, that and VAR.

I don't like it if that's how it's going to be implemented. About a 2 minute wait...for nothing. And did anyone notice it was immediately after that, that Hendo was caught in possession and Pepe almost scored?

That might be Hendo not switched on, but my worry is that it was because of the pause on the play due to that VAR incident. Players might switch off and it breaks up momentum.

I think it was the Salah high boot that was checked. He didn't hit anyone, but I couldn't see any other incident for the check.

Hair Bag didnt get a yellow card for trying to swap shirts with VVD for the first goal. He got it instead for trying to swap them with Mo as soon as the second half started, then was literally given the run around by Mo for the third. It meant we could doze off for the last half hour, for the routine home win against Arsenal. So 9 goals, 9 points, top of the league, and a major European trophy in August is a great start.

Now we head for Monaco to collect the UEFA awards going, during the European Cup draw...
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #205: Aug 27, 2019 12:16:22 pm
      I've given up on hopes of clean sheets until Alisson's back.
      Yeah we don't look like keeping one as things stand!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #206: Aug 27, 2019 12:27:39 pm
      Quote from JD
      Took a bit of a schooling that lad, although its not a bad thing to get such a pasting early on.  Will probably focus his mind a bit.  Big thing I didn't understand with Arsenal's summer transfers was David Luiz.  I thought he was past his best about 3 or 4 years ago. 

If they were buying him for cover fair enough, but I think they have bought him to be a first choice CB?

Talk to any Arsenal fan and I think they'd take one of those training ground mannequins over Mustafi, so even a loon like Luiz is probably a marginal improvement on what they've got. Got to agree he's hardly one you'd turn to to bring a sense of calmness to your back four though...  :D

Quick Reply