Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Top two

Read 4553 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Top two
      Aug 25, 2019 08:36:52 am
      I keep hearing after our games,against whoever, that we are on a different level, and sides need to improve somewhat to compete.
      I also hear similar statements regarding City.
      Are we about to become the
      Celtic/Rangers. Barca/Real. PPSG/Lyon
      Juve/Inter of the Premiership.
      Will the others catch up ?
      I know they’ll have their moments, but will they match us consistently.
      Not sure two teams have ever been so far ahead of the rest in the Prem before.
      What’s your thoughts?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Top two
      Reply #1: Aug 25, 2019 09:48:08 am
      I think that yes, there are a top 2 in the moment above everyone and with some lucky we can be the top 1 in the League in June.

However, there is only a top 1 English team in European Cups, Us!!!

We won't witness top 2 for long in Uk because everyone wants to compete. Tottenham are the closest to the top 2.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2: Aug 25, 2019 10:35:03 am
      I keep hearing after our games,against whoever, that we are on a different level, and sides need to improve somewhat to compete.
      What’s your thoughts?

Wouldn't like to see that happen.Spurs are strong and will do well esp if they keep Eriksen.But yes it could be another 2 horse race.United are in a mess.I like Lampard but he'll do very well to make the top 4.Arsenal ditto.Leicester could be a good bet for the top 4. Rodgers is wired up.I know he can be annoying but he might get Leicester up there.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #3: Aug 25, 2019 03:29:05 pm
      League table didn't lie last year. Takes players a while to bed in so it might be next year before the likes of Arsenal make it a top 3 of 4?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #4: Aug 25, 2019 04:42:04 pm
      Us and City are above the rest but it wont stay that way for long. Spurs will have bigger income as Arsenal are starting to spend what they earn
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5: Aug 25, 2019 05:59:53 pm
      What’s your thoughts?

It's been a while but I do seem to remember periods where two teams have been a distance from the rest in the Premier League but couldn't put a date on it. I'm sure someone will.

This time however there seems to be a huge gulf in quality between us, City then the rest.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #6: Aug 25, 2019 07:22:39 pm
      What’s your thoughts?

Way way far too early, to put pressure on the lads, we are still bedding in this season.  We are only three games in, until Burnley game is done and dusted with a win, It could be looking that way
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #7: Aug 25, 2019 07:31:11 pm
      Very early days but it is looking like that again for this season.

Can't see it lasting for a significant amount of seasons though. United with their size and funds will be back up there soon (probably under a new manager)and Arsenal will get better under Emery. Chelsea and Spurs are the interesting ones though - not sure how they'll go in the next few years.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #8: Aug 25, 2019 10:31:21 pm
      I think more than a separation of two teams from the pack, we may be witnessing a much more significant sea change in world football, where teams who focus on building a relatively young team and keeping players together on those teams, rise to the top and stay there.

It doesn't negate good transfers of course, but it might reduce the emphasis on just buying, buying, buying on a yearly basis. It's visionary and would take the kind of ownership-manager relationship that we have. It would take enlightened club management to focus on player and team development along with match tactics (already important).

The top tier of world football has gotten away from this for a while, especially as the money from transfers has gotten so silly. IN a system where agents can persuade so much to happen, and their main way of making money is from transfers, it stands to reason that longevity at clubs is actually an enemy to these agents' interest and so, they work against it, paying players and managers percentages as part of the process.

But competing at a high level surely is enhanced by players staying together for longer. Klopp has chosen to pursue it this way and it is working. Many owners are going to like it, especially after the two-highest profile transfers of late, Neymar to PSG and Coutinho to Barcelona, are turning out to be way overpriced in turns of value for those clubs (along with numerous transfer fees of lesser value for players who just never return the value).

Agents and some players and managers will fight this trend of course, but as Klopp and Liverpool (and FSG) keep enjoying success, I can see more clubs trying to adopt the strategy long-term. It will take patience and people who really understand how to build teams, but it could change a lot, including the traditional balance of power in the top leagues (including England).

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #9: Aug 25, 2019 10:45:13 pm
      I’ve been thinking the same thing, already it feels like us and City our ahead of the rest. Funny think is though, I think we need help from the other sides in the top 6 and that  our chances of winning the title are greater if the pack can keep up and take some points of them.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #10: Aug 26, 2019 09:47:58 am
      I think that yes, there are a top 2 in the moment above everyone and with some lucky we can be the top 1 in the League in June.

However, there is only a top 1 English team in European Cups, Us!!!

We won't witness top 2 for long in Uk because everyone wants to compete. Tottenham are the closest to the top 2.

top 2 in UK ? surely you mean England ?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #11: Aug 26, 2019 09:49:22 am
      What’s your thoughts?

Yes its now top 2, then the rest. both city and LFC have built up amazing teams and squads to back them up, so should dominate for a while. Spuds were threatening, but yesterday should they are still weak sometimes.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #12: Aug 27, 2019 12:29:40 pm
      Going as far back as the mid-80's, most title races have been dominated by two teams. Back then, it was us v the neighbours, then us v Arsenal, then somebody v the mancs, Chelsea v Arsenal, then Chelsea v City, the mancs against each other, and now us v City.

It's nothing new.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #13: Aug 27, 2019 12:55:14 pm
      Currently there are 2 teams above the rest but it will only last for a maximum of one more season after this one, so we need to strike whilst the iron is hot. Lets just hope Citeh are a tiny bit worse and we are a tiny better than last season, I actually think that will be the case and we'll finally win the league.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #14: Aug 27, 2019 05:24:15 pm
      What’s your thoughts?

Its only 3 games into the season. Football is unpredictable lets wait and see.

One difference between Us and City is that they LOADED!! We have to be smarter in our investments
      Celtic/Rangers. Barca/Real are kind of equals in financial terms.

Another this is it seems people are perfectly fine with City having 2 potential 1st teamers for every position.
      For some reason for us people seem to can't get their heads around us having a really strong squad.

If we go in for a striker for example. The narrative is "We'll he's gonna be on the bench, where is he gonna play?"
      As opposed to "We have TONS on games thoughout the season, everyones gonna get a chance to play and claim their spot, as football by nature is competitive".

IMO these are the things that make it difficult to continue to be a 2 horse race rather than just 1 team far ahead of the 2nd team
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #15: Aug 27, 2019 06:24:20 pm
      What’s your thoughts?

Nope could of said the same about the mancs and Arsenal in the 90s us & Everton in the 80s.

That's how competitive this league can be, whether we care to admit or not  but City are a good football team.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #16: Aug 27, 2019 06:50:01 pm
      Its only 3 games into the season. Football is unpredictable lets wait and see.

One difference between Us and City is that they LOADED!! We have to be smarter in our investments
      Celtic/Rangers. Barca/Real are kind of equals in financial terms.

Another this is it seems people are perfectly fine with City having 2 potential 1st teamers for every position.
      For some reason for us people seem to can't get their heads around us having a really strong squad.

If we go in for a striker for example. The narrative is "We'll he's gonna be on the bench, where is he gonna play?"
      As opposed to "We have TONS on games thoughout the season, everyones gonna get a chance to play and claim their spot, as football by nature is competitive".

IMO these are the things that make it difficult to continue to be a 2 horse race rather than just 1 team far ahead of the 2nd team

JFC, you act like we're never going to buy a player again. Get a clue.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #17: Aug 27, 2019 06:54:19 pm
      What’s your thoughts?

Don't see this 2-team dominance happening for long. There's a lot of money in the PL and the "other" teams in the top 6 will spend and improve. On the other side, i don't see Pep staying much longer at City which will undoubtedly bring them back down a notch as he is a very good manager. This year would be the 3rd consecutive PL title and other than the CL he's basically won everything he could in England so could see him going for new pastures in Italy or at PSG. Klopp,too, will be out in 3+ years time which will require re-adjusting to a new manager and allow others to close the gap/catch up.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #18: Aug 27, 2019 08:53:45 pm
      JFC, you act like we're never going to buy a player again. Get a clue.

Right thats what I said. Totally. 100%.

Quick Reply