Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

US Open 2019 - Daily review and key highlights

Read 11081 times
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara
      • Started Topic

• 42 posts |
      US Open 2019 - Daily review and key highlights
      Aug 27, 2019 05:41:28 am
      Thought of opening this thread to talk about US Open 2019...

Fascinating first day at US Open 2019. Let’s review the key highlights from the top half;

•   All favorites (Djokovic, Federer and Medvedev) won comfortably.
      •   All the players projected to reach fourth round survived the first round apart from Raonic who withdrew. (Stan, Basilashvili / Reilly Opelka, Goffin, Coric / Dimitrov)
      •   As predicted Fognini exited early.
      •   Unexpected defeats – Hurkacz and Querrey (expected both of them to reach round 2)
      •   Many close encounters, including 7 five setters.
      •   Best moment of the day – Sumit Nagal winning the first set against Roger. Huge moment to the Indian youngster. However, this is nothing significant with respect to Federer’s chances as some fans think. If you remember, he lost the opening set of Wimbledon 2019 to Lloyd Harris, and we all know how that tournament ended :).
      •   Matches to watch in second round – Coric vs. Dimitrov, Garin vs. de Minaur, Pouille vs. Evens

My predictions remains the same for the tournament.
      https://medium.com/the-sports-niche/us-open-2019-predictions-can-novak-djokovic-win-his-third-grand-slam-title-of-this-year-f7f0af2e2c35
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara
      • Started Topic

• 42 posts |
      Re: US Open 2019 - Daily review and key highlights
      Reply #1: Aug 28, 2019 08:02:21 am
      Day 2

What a day! Full of surprises and upsets! Key highlights from the bottom half;

•   The favorite, Rafa eases through to the second round beating Millman.
      •   Bautista Agut, Thiem, Khachanov, Tsitsipas, and Auger-Aliassime bowed out in the first round!
      •   Third quarter of the draw is wide open and this leaves Kyrgios, Monfils, Rublev, and Berrettini with a great opportunity to reach a US Open semifinal for the first time.
      •   Fourth quarter remains as projected apart from the loss of Khachanov.
      •   10 five setters (that’s a whopping 31.3% of the total of 32)
      •   Matches to watch in second round – Zverev vs. Tiafoe, Isner vs. Struff, Chung vs. Verdasco

My initial predictions for fourth round, quarters and semis are affected by the early losses of Bautista Agut, Thiem, Khachanov  :(

Who do you think will reach the quarters from this half? My choices are;

Kyrgios/ Rublev vs. Monfils
      Tiafoe vs. Nadal
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara
      • Started Topic

• 42 posts |
      Reply #2: Aug 31, 2019 06:06:53 am
      Day 3 Summary

A day dominated by rain.

•   The favorites Djokovic and Federer advanced to third round.
      •   Roger looks rusty and vulnerable against Džumhur. The starts remind me of his 2017 campaign which might provide a good opportunity to Pouille and Goffin in the next couple of rounds.
      •   Key take away is Novak is struggling from a left shoulder injury. Even though, Londero failed to take advantage, Stan and Medvedev might make use of this opportunity. Then again, Djokovic won couple of grand slams in 2016 playing with a shoulder pain so I’m not writing him off at this point.
      •   Coric withdrew and only 10 seeds remaining in the top half of the draw with 11 matches to be played today.

Get ready for a busy day folks.
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara
      • Started Topic

• 42 posts |
      Reply #3: Aug 31, 2019 06:08:05 am
      Day 4 Summary

Long day at Flushing Meadows. Let’s review the key highlights of the top half;

•   Medvedev, Goffin and Stan are through to round 3. Even though, Medvedev and Goffin have challenging Spanish opponents in Feliciano López and Carreño Busta, Stan is almost certain to set up an interesting fourth round clash with the Djoker.
      •   Evans downed Pouille to set up a match with Roger, which I think would be better for Feds compared to Pouille.
      •   Matches to watch out in third round – Medvedev vs. Lopez, Goffin vs. Carreño Busta, Nishikori vs. de Minaur

From the bottom half;

•   Rafa had a walkover, and he will meet Chung after he won his second consecutive 5 set encounter against Verdasco
      •   As projected Isner is through to round 3 and looks good to set up a round 4 clash with Rafa as Cilic is still struggling.
      •   Rublev and Kyrgios win their respective matches to set up an interesting round 3 encounter.
      •   Other key players Berrettini, Monfils, Shapovalov, and Schwartzman progeressed without any concerns as Zverev struggled past Tiafoe.
      •   Matches to watch out in third round – Rublev vs. Kyrgios, Monfils vs. Shapovalov, Isner vs. ÄŒilić

No major surprises today from Men’s draw, however I expect some surprises tomorrow  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara
      • Started Topic

• 42 posts |
      Reply #4: Aug 31, 2019 06:09:04 am
      Day 5 Summary

Things are settling down at Flushing Meadows as we are approaching the business end of the tournament.

•   Favorites Novak and Roger cruised past their third round rivals to set up interesting fourth round encounters with Wawrinka and Goffin respectively.
      •   Medvedev managed to beat a tough opponent, after an erratic performance which included obscene gestures at the crowd and lashing at ball boys for no reason. However, he has a relatively straightforward route to quarterfinals as Basilashvili bowed out against Koepfer.
      •   Surprisingly, Nishikori was beaten by a spirited Di Minaur. This means Dimitrov has a chance reach a Grand slam quarterfinal for the first time since 2018 Australian open.
      •   Matches to watch out in third round – Djokovic vs. Wawrinka, Federer vs. Goffin, Dimitrov vs. Di Minaur

First half of the draw will be very interesting going forward.

https://medium.com/the-sports-niche/us-open-2019-predictions-can-novak-djokovic-win-his-third-grand-slam-title-of-this-year-f7f0af2e2c35
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara
      • Started Topic

• 42 posts |
      Reply #5: Sep 01, 2019 12:47:27 pm
      Day 6 Summary
      Things are falling to pieces in the bottom half of the men’s draw.

•   Nadal cruised against Chung to set up a meeting with Cilic who defeated Isner. Nadal has not been tested yet and he will face his first tough opponent when he meet the 2014 US Open champion.
      •   Rublev was impressive yet again and dispatched Kyrgios in straight set. Based on his form I would not be surprised if he reaches a quarterfinal or a semifinal this time.
      •   Monfils downed Shapovalov in a close 5 set encounter and now in a good position to reach the quarters.
      •   Schwartzman eased through to the fourth round along with Zverev, Berrettini and Andújar.
      Tomorrow we will have two blockbuster clashes at Ashe with Roger taking on Goffin and Novak meeting Stan.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #6: Sep 04, 2019 06:17:34 am
      Federer out!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #7: Sep 07, 2019 09:47:07 pm
      Andreescu looking too good for Serena here...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #8: Sep 07, 2019 11:14:00 pm
      Probably end of a great career for Serena, it seems like the pressure of beating Margaret Court’s record is too much.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #9: Sep 07, 2019 11:30:47 pm
      Nice to see Andreescu pull off first major tennis title win for Canadian, I don't follow tennis a whole lot but there was a TON of hype after winning the Canadian open earlier in the year. Last time seen that much hype of tennis player in Canada was Gennie Bouchard who is never lived up to it and now known more for her Instagram account than tennis ability.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10: Sep 08, 2019 10:47:35 am
      Probably end of a great career for Serena, it seems like the pressure of beating Margaret Court’s record is too much.

She is either not right physically or mentally, I'm not sure which it is. Personally I think she is lazy and not putting in the work required to secure another slam, she's always had a kind of arrogance about her and as opposed to Federer who realised he had to alter his game to remain competitive she has not done this and her power game is simply not good enough any more.

I've never liked her as a player so I'm kind of happy she won't be considered GOAT in the Woman's game, to be honest she's not even close in my opinion, I'd put Court, King, Navratilova and Graff above her irrespective of total number of titles won.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #11: Sep 08, 2019 10:49:12 am
      Nice to see Andreescu pull off first major tennis title win for Canadian, I don't follow tennis a whole lot but there was a TON of hype after winning the Canadian open earlier in the year. Last time seen that much hype of tennis player in Canada was Gennie Bouchard who is never lived up to it and now known more for her Instagram account than tennis ability.

Very impressive to win after being pegged back to 5-5 after leading 5-1 and having championship point, that takes a lot of guts and mental strength, I predict a bright future for Bianca Andreescu.
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara
      • Started Topic

• 42 posts |
      Reply #12: Sep 11, 2019 02:11:34 pm

Well at 37 she is still the most consistent player in the WTA roster when it comes to grand slams. I think she have atleast one more GS in her
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara
      • Started Topic

• 42 posts |
      Reply #13: Sep 11, 2019 02:12:59 pm
      Final Review of the US Open 2019 Predictions

There were plenty of surprises! However, like in French Open 2019 I managed to predict the winner correctly!

Medvedev, Wawrinka, Dimitrov, Schwartzman did much better than I expected.

Khachanov, Thiem and Bautista Agut were major disappointments.

Quick Reply