Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Adrián
      1 (1.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      4 (4.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      13 (14.6%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (2.2%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      20 (22.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (10.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      38 (42.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: Sep 04, 2019 07:29:54 pm

Burnley 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 91248 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 751 
      Re: Burnley 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Sep 04, 2019 10:03:17 am
      This win mentality installed by Klopp into the team, can only be good for winning, the premiership, come next May.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #300: Sep 04, 2019 01:38:36 pm
      Definitely looker sharp to start the new season, I think it is all down to him staying injury free and obviously we're seeing the benefit of that now as he performs to his potential. Given he was a free transfer it is looking more and more like yet another Klopp masterstroke!

Probably playing side by side with VVD helps a great deal. Both seems to understand each other's positioning and movement. Long may this partnership continue. VVD is very fast in the 3 yards sprint and I sees that developing in Matip. In all honesty, I don't rate Matip before and VVD could be the cause of Matip's vast improvement. 
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #301: Sep 04, 2019 01:41:14 pm
      I hope to see us scoring a few more goals in every game from now as I think this season will be even closer, it could be decided on goal difference against City. City is all out to score a few more goals and probably they know that we will get nearer to them this season.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #302: Sep 04, 2019 02:28:03 pm
      Probably playing side by side with VVD helps a great deal. Both seems to understand each other's positioning and movement. Long may this partnership continue. VVD is very fast in the 3 yards sprint and I sees that developing in Matip. In all honesty, I don't rate Matip before and VVD could be the cause of Matip's vast improvement.

Matip looks better because he had a run of gmes in a settled defense and stayed injury free.

The ide that VVD has "caused a massive improvement" is ridiculous.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #303: Sep 04, 2019 04:33:56 pm

Don’t think it’s that ridiculous. Before we signed Virgil there was more pressure on Matip because he was largely viewed as the man to sort out our defence at one point. He signed with expectations and pressure, but when we got Virgil, the pressure was almost virtually taken off of Matip and Lovren because neither were deemed the main man for the defence anymore, they now follow the lead of Virgil so I don’t think it’s any coincidence that we’ve seen big improvements in them both.

Obviously staying injury free has helped too but I don’t think the improvement by someone else coming in and taking charge of the backline should be underestimated.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #304: Sep 04, 2019 04:50:51 pm

Agreed. People will make really stupid claims to avoid giving credit to a player they have in their head they don't rate. Obviously it does not hurt to play alongside the best CB in the sport, but to say VVD is THEreason for Matip's play is just flat out ignorant. Joel had a very solid first year and then struggled with injuries, but his own maturity, coaching and entering his prime years has also helped in his high performance, as well as having the run of games and being free of injury as you mentioned.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #305: Sep 04, 2019 05:54:17 pm
      Don’t think it’s that ridiculous. Before we signed Virgil there was more pressure on Matip because he was largely viewed as the man to sort out our defence at one point. He signed with expectations and pressure, but when we got Virgil, the pressure was almost virtually taken off of Matip and Lovren because neither were deemed the main man for the defence anymore, they now follow the lead of Virgil so I don’t think it’s any coincidence that we’ve seen big improvements in them both.

Obviously staying injury free has helped too but I don’t think the improvement by someone else coming in and taking charge of the backline should be underestimated.

If Matip has improved as a player, it's because Klopp has done it.

A player doesn't magically become a better footballer overnight because VVD is playing next to him.

Now if the statement was that VVD has improved our defense, no-one can argue against that.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #306: Sep 09, 2019 05:38:48 pm
      Matip looks better because he had a run of gmes in a settled defense and stayed injury free.

VVD sets the standard in that defence, everyone else follows. The marked improvement in Joel since he started playing with Virg is massive.

Quick Reply