Trending Topics

Next match: Chelsea v LFC [Premier League] Sun 22nd Sep @ 4:30 pm
      Stamford Bridge

Today is the 19th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W10 D6 L8

FIFA Club World Cup 2019

Read 1197 times
      PGlynn91
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,528 posts | 273 
      • To win just once...
      FIFA Club World Cup 2019
      Sep 04, 2019 01:07:11 pm
      So it appears it is official that we will take part in the Club World Cup in December this year. This probably being one of very few trophies in the history of the club we have never won. But how important and necessary is it?

Like last season, it looks like we will compete in a two horse race for the title with City and December is one of the busiest months. With all the travel, extra games and fatigue that could affect the players going into 2020, should we be leaving the first team at home?

I just think that if come the end of the season we finish behind City by a point or two, will it be because of dropped points during this period and should this be sacrificed for the “greater good”?

Thoughts?
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Re: FIFA Club World Cup 2019
      Reply #1: Sep 04, 2019 01:16:56 pm
      So it appears it is official that we will take part in the Club World Cup in December this year. This probably being one of very few trophies in the history of the club we have never won. But how important and necessary is it?

Like last season, it looks like we will compete in a two horse race for the title with City and December is one of the busiest months. With all the travel, extra games and fatigue that could affect the players going into 2020, should we be leaving the first team at home?

I just think that if come the end of the season we finish behind City by a point or two, will it be because of dropped points during this period and should this be sacrificed for the “greater good”?

Thoughts?

Looking at our December schedule we should be able to rotate quite heavily so I don't see this as a major issue for the players. I really want to win this.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,004 posts | 2546 
      Reply #2: Sep 04, 2019 02:41:32 pm
      The one we've never got.

Lets get it.

Good topic .
      PGlynn91
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,528 posts | 273 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #3: Sep 04, 2019 03:23:40 pm
      The one we've never got.

Lets get it.

Good topic .

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,932 posts | 3834 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Sep 04, 2019 04:20:21 pm

We won every game in December last year, City lost about 3 in a 4 game stretch but still won the league with us finishing a “point or two” behind. The domestic side of the season is far from make or break in December.

I want us to win everything, sacrificing isn’t an option, especially something it’s rare you get to compete for.

To be honest, it’s two extra games. If we weren’t booted out of the league cup so early virtually every season lately then we’d have had them extra games anyway.

I’m sure the lads are capable of some extra games and ultimately if you want to be successful then this is what comes with it, if people don’t like us playing so many games then follow someone else.
      Not forgetting there is a winter break this season so I think we will be fine with these 2 games.

« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2019 04:26:42 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 23,173 posts | 2854 
      Reply #5: Sep 04, 2019 07:23:52 pm
      The one we've never got.

Lets get it.

Good topic .

We were robbed with 3 disallowed goals mate, need to bag this one..
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,764 posts | 2402 
      Reply #6: Sep 04, 2019 08:14:45 pm
      There's a gap in the cabinet for this, so for that reason alone, I want us to win it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,793 posts | 1242 
      Reply #7: Sep 04, 2019 08:15:04 pm
      In fairness we should win this at a canter, but we should respect the tournament and win it.

I expect we will be a more professional team than we were in 05 when Carragher and Hamann attempted to run away from the Japanese police at 3 o'clock in the morning.

If we turn up we'll walk it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,793 posts | 1242 
      Reply #8: Sep 04, 2019 08:16:25 pm

Prefer the old division 1 trophy myself anyway.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,755 posts | 5102 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Sep 04, 2019 08:22:14 pm
      We were robbed with 3 disallowed goals mate, need to bag this one..

I really want to win this trophy! It may be seen as a bit of a token but I feel we have a bit of unfinished business because that match was such a farce from a refereeing point of view and from a personal point of view it brings back awful flashbacks of feeling like I was at deaths door! I remember that final against Sao Paulo being played a week before Christmas and really looking forward to it all week but then I had been taken down a couple of days earlier by a nasty flu.

Unfortunately it turned into severe pneumonia on the morning of that match which stayed with me for a good few weeks. I remember the weather outside that morning - dark as hell and it never stopped raining. The power went off later that evening and I was a complete mess and disillusioned as to what time of day it was. I was coughing up this rough, rustic fluid and my throat was bleeding from the effort of it all. Add in some sleep deprivation, throwing up, only being able to drink liquids, a rapid heart rate and a lost voice. Bizarrely it took a long time for it to be diagnosed as pneumonia. It was torture and it was two weeks of non-stop hell before there was any sign of improvement.

I can genuinely, hand on heart, say one of the things that gave me a little energy was keeping myself aware of our results over that Christmas period. We'd already entered it having not conceded for a good couple of months (seriously - our defence was beastly that winter!) and I recall victories against Newcastle on Boxing Day, a derby victory over Everton a couple of days after that. West Brom then followed and then a bizarre draw against Bolton followed. I remember it so well - it's maybe the only thing that kept me fixated, following their scores and listening to Liverpool's matches on the radio while lying in bed. That's the great thing about following a club like Liverpool, they go a long way to comforting you and making life a little less miserable. I didn't have the energy to celebrate their goals or wins (even the derby victory) but it was just great to have that satisfaction of seeing Rafa and the boys doing the business.

But I'll always remember, most fondly, the absolute thrill of our 5-3 victory over Luton Town in the FA Cup Third Round. I was finally getting better by that stage and my voice was returning (though it'd be a few weeks before I could return to school!) but the sheer energy I got, particularly when Alonso scored that final goal from inside our own half, was fantastic. I still hold it close to my heart and it remains one of my favourite ever Liverpool matches.

But to return to your point... let's get this b***ard of a trophy.
      « Last Edit: Sep 04, 2019 11:35:35 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,890 posts | 848 
      Reply #10: Sep 04, 2019 08:37:50 pm
      I really want to win this trophy! It may be seen as a bit of a token but I feel we have a bit of unfinished business because that match was such a farce from a refereeing point of view and from a personal point of view it brings back awful flashbacks of feeling like I was at deaths door! I remember that final against Sao Paulo being played a week before Christmas and really looking forward to it all week but then I had been taken down a couple of days earlier by a nasty flu.

Unfortunately it turned into severe pneumonia on the morning of that match which stayed with me for a good few weeks. I remember the weather outside that morning - dark as hell and it never stopped raining. The power went off later that evening and I was a complete mess and disillusioned as to what time of day it was. I was coughing up this rough, rustic fluid and my throat was bleeding from the effort of it all. Add in some sleep deprivation, throwing up, only being able to drink liquids, a rapid heart rate and a lost voice. Bizarrely it took a long time for it to be diagnosed as pneumonia. It was torture and it was two weeks of non-stop hell before there was any sign of improvement.

I can genuinely, hand on heart, say one of the things that gave me a little energy was keeping myself aware of our results over that Christmas period. We'd already entered it having not conceded for a good couple of months (seriously - our defence was beastly that winter!) and I recall victories against Newcastle on Boxing Day, a derby victory over Everton a couple of days after that. West Brom then followed and then a bizarre draw against Bolton followed. I remember it so well - it's maybe the only thing that kept me fixated, following their scores and listening to Liverpool's matches on the radio while lying in bed. That's the great thing about following a club like Liverpool, they go a long way to comforting you and making life a little less miserable. I didn't have the energy to celebrate their goals or wins (even the derby victory) but it was just great to have that satisfaction of seeing Rafa and the boys were doing the business.

But I'll always remember the absolute thrill of our 5-3 victory over Luton Town in the FA Cup Third Round at the end of it all. I was already getting better by that stage and my voice was returning (though it'd be a few weeks before I could return to school!) but the sheer energy I got, particularly when Alonso scored that final goal from inside our own half, was fantastic. I still hold it close to my heart that match and it remains one of my favourite ever Liverpool matches.

But to return to your point... let's get this b***ard of a trophy.

Great post.

Just the West Ham match to be rearranged  we host Watford December 14, then have a semifinal match on the 18th  in Qatar where I would expect a lot of squad players, then the final on the 21st, probably against a South American side, with our strongest side.

Win the trophy, back in time for Boxing Day at Leicester.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 385 posts | 27 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #11: Sep 04, 2019 10:01:43 pm
      If we win it or not, we’re on the f**king charge  8)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,887 posts | 2348 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #12: Sep 04, 2019 10:15:47 pm
      It does look like this years kit has been designed with a place for the cool world club champions logo to go
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,713 posts | 3303 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #13: Sep 05, 2019 01:14:02 am
      Nice to be playing in such a Tournament. Who would have thought we would ever play in this tourni with the previous owners and Managers in charge?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,004 posts | 2546 
      Reply #14: Sep 05, 2019 01:29:09 am
      Nice to be playing in such a Tournament. Who would have thought we would ever play in this tourni with the previous owners and Managers in charge?

Is right Oz.

Rodgers couldn't even get a decent CL team out against Real Madrid in that ill fated game 5 years ago.
      Stevie was livid.
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 490 posts | 149 
      Reply #15: Sep 05, 2019 01:13:52 pm
      We won every game in December last year, City lost about 3 in a 4 game stretch but still won the league with us finishing a “point or two” behind. The domestic side of the season is far from make or break in December.

I want us to win everything, sacrificing isn’t an option, especially something it’s rare you get to compete for.

To be honest, it’s two extra games. If we weren’t booted out of the league cup so early virtually every season lately then we’d have had them extra games anyway.

I’m sure the lads are capable of some extra games and ultimately if you want to be successful then this is what comes with it, if people don’t like us playing so many games then follow someone else.
      Not forgetting there is a winter break this season so I think we will be fine with these 2 games.
      100% want us to win this, but I'll gladly sacrifice the FA & League cup (by sacrifice I mean putting largely 2nd string teams out) to give us every chance in the big 2 again.

Think this year and next year, with this current crop of players, will be the best chance we ever have of finally lifting the prem trophy.

COYR!!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,608 posts | 1908 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #16: Sep 05, 2019 04:31:16 pm
      Don't want us to sacrifice or give up any trophy. Probably makes me a dinosaur but i don't care
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,492 posts | 365 
      Reply #17: Sep 05, 2019 04:39:46 pm
      In it to win it!

Let's start piling trophies up. When Jürgen leaves i want to see a laundry list of things he has won with us.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,890 posts | 848 
      Reply #18: Sep 05, 2019 04:42:08 pm
      Don't want us to sacrifice or give up any trophy. Probably makes me a dinosaur but i don't care

I hear you. I suppose our 2ND XI at this point, compared to the lineup for the past two matches, would be:

gK
      Milner or Hoever, Gomez, Lovren, Milner or Larouci
      Lallana, Keita, Ox
      Shaw, Brewster, Origi.

If we run that group out for League Cup matches, wound you consider it a sacrifice. What about compared to Brendan's lineup vs. Real Madrid?

Of course Jürgen could also just make 1-3 changes each match to give everyone a break through the season.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,608 posts | 1908 
      Reply #19: Sep 05, 2019 05:02:13 pm
      I hear you. I suppose our 2ND XI at this point, compared to the lineup for the past two matches, would be:

gK
      Milner or Hoever, Gomez, Lovren, Milner or Larouci
      Lallana, Keita, Ox
      Shaw, Brewster, Origi.

If we run that group out for League Cup matches, wound you consider it a sacrifice. What about compared to Brendan's lineup vs. Real Madrid?

Of course Jürgen could also just make 1-3 changes each match to give everyone a break through the season.

Depends on the opposition. The wolves away cup game for me smacked of just sticking out any old 11 but chelsea in the league was better but not good enough on the night
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,068 posts | 259 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #20: Sep 05, 2019 05:17:08 pm
      Lets go and smash all comers. This is one we have just missed out on previously, its also 1 that the mancs have over on us.

While Klopp is here we want to win as much as we can.

This would make a lovely treble of trophy's for this team.

The squad is big enough and good enough to rotate once the busy winter schedule kicks in.

I cant wait for this one tbh.
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,068 posts | 259 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #21: Sep 05, 2019 05:18:50 pm
      100% want us to win this, but I'll gladly sacrifice the FA & League cup (by sacrifice I mean putting largely 2nd string teams out) to give us every chance in the big 2 again.

Think this year and next year, with this current crop of players, will be the best chance we ever have of finally lifting the prem trophy.

COYR!!!

We have decent draw for a change in the league cup, so klopp will defo rotate massively in the league cup, and hopefully we go quite far using the squad.

Hopefully we get a favorable draw in the early FA cup rounds too.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,492 posts | 365 
      Reply #22: Sep 08, 2019 03:08:01 am
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Reply #23: Sep 08, 2019 10:43:25 am

Did he miss us beating Barca 4-0 or perhaps he doesn't consider that Barca team full of "galacticos", what a dick! If we turn up then we'll spank any team we have to face.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,932 posts | 3834 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Sep 08, 2019 11:22:21 am

Who was the last lot to write us off, Barca or Bayern?
      We beat the Champions of France, Germany, Spain, Portugal and wherever else last year. So they lost 1-0 to Madrid 2 years ago, we twatted Barca 4-0 a matter of months ago.

Trouble is with teams like this is that they know going toe to toe with a team like us they don’t stand a chance, so they try to be billy big bollocks and try the mind games.

Maybe they should focus on getting past their own semi final before even thinking about us.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,836 posts | 2421 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: Sep 08, 2019 03:30:36 pm
      I expect we will be a more professional team than we were in 05 when Carragher and Hamann attempted to run away from the Japanese police at 3 o'clock in the morning.

What?! Tell us more about this. Hahaha

Btw. This could be a rematch of 1981, as Flamengo are semifinalists of the Copa Libertadores this year.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,608 posts | 1908 
      Reply #26: Sep 08, 2019 03:33:07 pm

Btw. This could be a rematch of 1981, as Flamengo are semifinalists of the Copa Libertadores this year.

Didi hamann stopping a taxi by lying in the road
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,755 posts | 5102 
      • YNWA
      Reply #27: Sep 08, 2019 03:47:07 pm

I wish we had the Copa Libertadores live on TV here in the UK. I know BT Sport use to screen it but even then it seemed bottom of the bill.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,793 posts | 1242 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,788 posts | 4238 
      Reply #29: Sep 09, 2019 01:30:44 pm
      South American team to be decided on 23rd November (Copa Libertadores final) and African side to be decided on 24th November.

I can see why the South American sides have been so dominant in this competition under that format - you've got the guarantee of a team bang in form just weeks before this competition.

Semi Finals of Copa Libertadores played in October.

River Plate (ARG) v Boca Juniors (ARG)
      Gremio (BRA) v Flamengo (BRA)

I could be wrong but I think the only side we've played out of them is Flamengo when they beat us in 1981.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Reply #30: Sep 09, 2019 01:41:33 pm
      South American team to be decided on 23rd November (Copa Libertadores final) and African side to be decided on 24th November.

I can see why the South American sides have been so dominant in this competition under that format - you've got the guarantee of a team bang in form just weeks before this competition.

Semi Finals of Copa Libertadores played in October.

River Plate (ARG) v Boca Juniors (ARG)
      Gremio (BRA) v Flamengo (BRA)

I could be wrong but I think the only side we've played out of them is Flamengo when they beat us in 1981.

I'd like to think the Premiership is reasonably competitive plus we have CL games, so I'm not sure I quite understand your point. Why would South American teams have an advantage over the European teams?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,788 posts | 4238 
      Reply #31: Sep 09, 2019 03:26:23 pm
      I'm not sure I quite understand your point. Why would South American teams have an advantage over the European teams?

It will be 6 months since the European Champions had won their crown.  It will have been 4 weeks since the best South American team won their title.

A lot can happen in 6 months e.g. Ajax.  Less can happen in 3 or 4 weeks.

Thus the timing of the tournament at the moment gives South American sides an advantage over a European team.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,492 posts | 365 
      Reply #32: Sep 09, 2019 03:54:52 pm
      It will be 6 months since the European Champions had won their crown.  It will have been 4 weeks since the best South American team won their title.

Thus the timing of the tournament at the moment gives South American sides an advantage over a European team.

I am trying to figure out the logic in this and I....just....can't.
      adammac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,807 posts | 67 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #33: Sep 09, 2019 08:51:38 pm
      Considering that 2 of the last 3 years a team from Asia has made the final (though the to sides who made it were hosting the event) over the Copa Libertadores winners I think Copa Libertadores vs Champions League should not be set in stone.

We play to our ability and take it somewhat serious we should see it through, we should of won back in 2005 given the horrible calls vs us but anyway looking forward to it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,836 posts | 2421 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #34: Sep 09, 2019 11:43:58 pm

That's correct

I know that Flamengo team off the top of my head, it was that good!
      Raul, Leandro, Mozer, Marinho, Júnior, Andrade, Adílio, Zico, Tita, Lico, Nunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUVA-eIv0s0
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Reply #35: Sep 10, 2019 09:50:24 am

Are you suggesting we are worse now than we were against Spurs in the final???
      king kenny
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 151 
      Reply #36: Sep 10, 2019 06:22:53 pm
      I am trying to figure out the logic in this and I....just....can't.

I get it and for me the timing suits the south americans. 
      Which is a better team the Ajax which lost to spurs or the Ajax in December this year?
      Which is the better team the Real Madrid team that beat us in the final or the team last December without Ronaldo and Zidane? Yes they won and comfortably but which was a better team?

The point is that firstly after a summer transfer window  there can be drastic changes like with Ajax and Real Madrid.   And secondly the peak of a season is when the major trophies are picked up around that time.   

Are you suggesting we are worse now than we were against Spurs in the final???

I think if we played the Barca team that had played 80% of the season in the second leg against the team we have now it wouldn't beat that team 4-0 right now because our team hasn't peaked yet.   But the Barca team would be very close to their peak at that moment. The point is about TIMING.  When does a team peak is subjective yes but winners of major competitions usually peak in the semi's and final or even quarter final.  Our best came in the 2nd leg of the semi final around that time.  The final was another issue about TIMING giving us a 3 week break.

heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Reply #37: Sep 11, 2019 02:01:43 pm
      I get it and for me the timing suits the south americans. 
      Which is a better team the Ajax which lost to spurs or the Ajax in December this year?
      Which is the better team the Real Madrid team that beat us in the final or the team last December without Ronaldo and Zidane? Yes they won and comfortably but which was a better team?

The point is that firstly after a summer transfer window  there can be drastic changes like with Ajax and Real Madrid.   And secondly the peak of a season is when the major trophies are picked up around that time.   
      I think if we played the Barca team that had played 80% of the season in the second leg against the team we have now it wouldn't beat that team 4-0 right now because our team hasn't peaked yet.   But the Barca team would be very close to their peak at that moment. The point is about TIMING.  When does a team peak is subjective yes but winners of major competitions usually peak in the semi's and final or even quarter final.  Our best came in the 2nd leg of the semi final around that time.  The final was another issue about TIMING giving us a 3 week break.

but we haven't lost any players since the final so what on earth is your point???
      If we didn't play any competitive matches between the CL final and the world club cup final then you would have  a valid point but we do and the vast majority of them are very competitive as well so we will be every bit as fit and ready as any other team.
      king kenny
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 151 
      Reply #38: Sep 11, 2019 10:33:06 pm
      Sorry I thought you didn't get it.  But you just don't want to get it.  I asked to basic questions no reply to neither.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Reply #39: Sep 12, 2019 08:08:13 am
      Sorry I thought you didn't get it.  But you just don't want to get it.  I asked to basic questions no reply to neither.

I did answer your questions by stating that we haven't lost any players as opposed to Ajax and Real Madrid, can you perhaps try to respond to my reply?
      To repeat, why do you think we will be weaker in December this year than we were on the 1st June?
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 490 posts | 149 
      Reply #40: Sep 12, 2019 09:30:50 am

Not sure that's THAT significant a factor this year, moreso the conditions will probably favour the South Americans, assuming it's pretty hot.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Reply #41: Sep 12, 2019 09:40:54 am
      Not sure that's THAT significant a factor this year, moreso the conditions will probably favour the South Americans, assuming it's pretty hot.

Its not pretty hot, the average temp in Qatar in December is 20C so that will probably favour a European team more than a South American one.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,327 posts | 1938 
      • From Doubters to Believers
      Reply #42: Sep 12, 2019 09:43:27 am
      but we haven't lost any players since the final so what on earth is your point???
      If we didn't play any competitive matches between the CL final and the world club cup final then you would have  a valid point but we do and the vast majority of them are very competitive as well so we will be every bit as fit and ready as any other team.

Fit and ready to compete in the group stage for sure but are we ready yet to compete in a CL final?....I think not...timing is everything...if we peak too early we won't have a successful season...ie; win major honours...it's true we haven't lost any players but those same player's will be different from last season...it's a new campaign both domestically and in Europe so there will be a different mindset from that of last season...

This season domestically at least i think we are already better than last, we will of course employ the same 'One game at a time' theory which almost but not quite brought us the holy grail,  and barring less drawn games this term will have us all delerious come the season's end...

Reaching our peak is imo some way off yet, but we are fit enough and ready enough to keep us ahead of the game.

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,608 posts | 1908 
      Reply #43: Sep 12, 2019 03:31:10 pm
      Winning this would be an excellent Christmas present
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Reply #44: Sep 12, 2019 03:49:48 pm

Fit and ready to compete in the group stage for sure but are we ready yet to compete in a CL final?....I think not...timing is everything...if we peak too early we won't have a successful season...ie; win major honours...it's true we haven't lost any players but those same player's will be different from last season...it's a new campaign both domestically and in Europe so there will be a different mindset from that of last season...

This season domestically at least i think we are already better than last, we will of course employ the same 'One game at a time' theory which almost but not quite brought us the holy grail,  and barring less drawn games this term will have us all delerious come the season's end...

Reaching our peak is imo some way off yet, but we are fit enough and ready enough to keep us ahead of the game.

YNWA

If we haven't peaked by December we can kiss the league goodbye. Last year we seemed to peak very nicely in December or at least reach very high levels in December.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,890 posts | 848 
      Reply #45: Sep 12, 2019 04:02:33 pm
      If we haven't peaked by December we can kiss the league goodbye. Last year we seemed to peak very nicely in December or at least reach very high levels in December.

You're doing it again.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,234 posts | 2010 
      Reply #46: Sep 12, 2019 04:42:08 pm

Sorry, doing what? I just thought I was defending my point of view
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,492 posts | 365 
      Reply #47: Sep 12, 2019 04:45:31 pm

He's not wrong though.

Apparently the concern is Gremio (or whoever wins Libertadores) would have an "advantage" because they will be at their peak, while we are not (sigh), but yet last December was probably our best month when we went 7-0 in the league.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,890 posts | 848 
      Reply #48: Sep 12, 2019 06:14:38 pm
      He's not wrong though.

Apparently the concern is Gremio (or whoever wins Libertadores) would have an "advantage" because they will be at their peak, while we are not (sigh), but yet last December was probably our best month when we went 7-0 in the league.

I am following the discussion, thanks.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,793 posts | 1242 
      Reply #49: Sep 12, 2019 06:19:24 pm
      We shouldn't need to be at peak to win this, our form in December should be easily good enough as long as we take it seriously.

Could be taking the South American sides for granted but I doubt they will be used to our pressing game and quality.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,327 posts | 1938 
      • From Doubters to Believers
      Reply #50: Sep 12, 2019 09:09:33 pm
      We shouldn't need to be at peak to win this, our form in December should be easily good enough as long as we take it seriously.

Could be taking the South American sides for granted but I doubt they will be used to our pressing game and quality.

Fazakerly, I seriously doubt they would have faced anything like us , the intensity of our play will have them bamboozled and not knowing whether to stick or twist, assuming we’re not going there  for a jolly Jürgen will have the lads ready and take this opportunity for further silverware very seriously, the boys themselves will want to perform and prove that they are one of the best club sides if not thee best side this side of the Milky Way.

YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,713 posts | 3303 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #51: Sep 13, 2019 12:29:04 am
      Let's go WIN this!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,890 posts | 848 
      Reply #52: Sep 16, 2019 03:43:37 pm
      Looks like we play Monterrey, CONCACAF champions from Mexico if early round games go by form. South American champions will await in the final.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,788 posts | 4238 
      Reply #53: Sep 16, 2019 03:55:37 pm
      Looks like we play Monterrey, CONCACAF champions from Mexico if early round games go by form. South American champions will await in the final.

Just looked them up and their league season finishes on the 15th December before it goes to playoffs.

They're 11th out of 19 after 9 games so don't look like they are doing particularly well.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,890 posts | 848 
      Reply #54: Sep 16, 2019 04:35:24 pm
      Just looked them up and their league season finishes on the 15th December before it goes to playoffs.

They're 11th out of 19 after 9 games so don't look like they are doing particularly well.

Since they play two seasons per year, it is not unusual for the Mexican clubs to take a season off, so to speak. This team would struggle to deal with us at full throttle over 90 minutes, and they don't defend so well. Their strength is in drawing and executing set pieces.

Quick Reply