Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

FIFA Club World Cup 2019

Read 33586 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      FIFA Club World Cup 2019
      Sep 04, 2019 01:07:11 pm
      So it appears it is official that we will take part in the Club World Cup in December this year. This probably being one of very few trophies in the history of the club we have never won. But how important and necessary is it?

Like last season, it looks like we will compete in a two horse race for the title with City and December is one of the busiest months. With all the travel, extra games and fatigue that could affect the players going into 2020, should we be leaving the first team at home?

I just think that if come the end of the season we finish behind City by a point or two, will it be because of dropped points during this period and should this be sacrificed for the “greater good”?

Thoughts?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: FIFA Club World Cup 2019
      Reply #1: Sep 04, 2019 01:16:56 pm
      So it appears it is official that we will take part in the Club World Cup in December this year. This probably being one of very few trophies in the history of the club we have never won. But how important and necessary is it?

Like last season, it looks like we will compete in a two horse race for the title with City and December is one of the busiest months. With all the travel, extra games and fatigue that could affect the players going into 2020, should we be leaving the first team at home?

I just think that if come the end of the season we finish behind City by a point or two, will it be because of dropped points during this period and should this be sacrificed for the “greater good”?

Thoughts?

Looking at our December schedule we should be able to rotate quite heavily so I don't see this as a major issue for the players. I really want to win this.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2: Sep 04, 2019 02:41:32 pm
      The one we've never got.

Lets get it.

Good topic .
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #3: Sep 04, 2019 03:23:40 pm
      The one we've never got.

Lets get it.

Good topic .

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Sep 04, 2019 04:20:21 pm

We won every game in December last year, City lost about 3 in a 4 game stretch but still won the league with us finishing a “point or two” behind. The domestic side of the season is far from make or break in December.

I want us to win everything, sacrificing isn’t an option, especially something it’s rare you get to compete for.

To be honest, it’s two extra games. If we weren’t booted out of the league cup so early virtually every season lately then we’d have had them extra games anyway.

I’m sure the lads are capable of some extra games and ultimately if you want to be successful then this is what comes with it, if people don’t like us playing so many games then follow someone else.
      Not forgetting there is a winter break this season so I think we will be fine with these 2 games.

« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2019 04:26:42 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5: Sep 04, 2019 07:23:52 pm
      The one we've never got.

Lets get it.

Good topic .

We were robbed with 3 disallowed goals mate, need to bag this one..
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6: Sep 04, 2019 08:14:45 pm
      There's a gap in the cabinet for this, so for that reason alone, I want us to win it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Sep 04, 2019 08:15:04 pm
      In fairness we should win this at a canter, but we should respect the tournament and win it.

I expect we will be a more professional team than we were in 05 when Carragher and Hamann attempted to run away from the Japanese police at 3 o'clock in the morning.

If we turn up we'll walk it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8: Sep 04, 2019 08:16:25 pm

Prefer the old division 1 trophy myself anyway.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Sep 04, 2019 08:22:14 pm
      We were robbed with 3 disallowed goals mate, need to bag this one..

I really want to win this trophy! It may be seen as a bit of a token but I feel we have a bit of unfinished business because that match was such a farce from a refereeing point of view and from a personal point of view it brings back awful flashbacks of feeling like I was at deaths door! I remember that final against Sao Paulo being played a week before Christmas and really looking forward to it all week but then I had been taken down a couple of days earlier by a nasty flu.

Unfortunately it turned into severe pneumonia on the morning of that match which stayed with me for a good few weeks. I remember the weather outside that morning - dark as hell and it never stopped raining. The power went off later that evening and I was a complete mess and disillusioned as to what time of day it was. I was coughing up this rough, rustic fluid and my throat was bleeding from the effort of it all. Add in some sleep deprivation, throwing up, only being able to drink liquids, a rapid heart rate and a lost voice. Bizarrely it took a long time for it to be diagnosed as pneumonia. It was torture and it was two weeks of non-stop hell before there was any sign of improvement.

I can genuinely, hand on heart, say one of the things that gave me a little energy was keeping myself aware of our results over that Christmas period. We'd already entered it having not conceded for a good couple of months (seriously - our defence was beastly that winter!) and I recall victories against Newcastle on Boxing Day, a derby victory over Everton a couple of days after that. West Brom then followed and then a bizarre draw against Bolton followed. I remember it so well - it's maybe the only thing that kept me fixated, following their scores and listening to Liverpool's matches on the radio while lying in bed. That's the great thing about following a club like Liverpool, they go a long way to comforting you and making life a little less miserable. I didn't have the energy to celebrate their goals or wins (even the derby victory) but it was just great to have that satisfaction of seeing Rafa and the boys doing the business.

But I'll always remember, most fondly, the absolute thrill of our 5-3 victory over Luton Town in the FA Cup Third Round. I was finally getting better by that stage and my voice was returning (though it'd be a few weeks before I could return to school!) but the sheer energy I got, particularly when Alonso scored that final goal from inside our own half, was fantastic. I still hold it close to my heart and it remains one of my favourite ever Liverpool matches.

But to return to your point... let's get this b***ard of a trophy.
      « Last Edit: Sep 04, 2019 11:35:35 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Sep 04, 2019 08:37:50 pm
      I really want to win this trophy! It may be seen as a bit of a token but I feel we have a bit of unfinished business because that match was such a farce from a refereeing point of view and from a personal point of view it brings back awful flashbacks of feeling like I was at deaths door! I remember that final against Sao Paulo being played a week before Christmas and really looking forward to it all week but then I had been taken down a couple of days earlier by a nasty flu.

Unfortunately it turned into severe pneumonia on the morning of that match which stayed with me for a good few weeks. I remember the weather outside that morning - dark as hell and it never stopped raining. The power went off later that evening and I was a complete mess and disillusioned as to what time of day it was. I was coughing up this rough, rustic fluid and my throat was bleeding from the effort of it all. Add in some sleep deprivation, throwing up, only being able to drink liquids, a rapid heart rate and a lost voice. Bizarrely it took a long time for it to be diagnosed as pneumonia. It was torture and it was two weeks of non-stop hell before there was any sign of improvement.

I can genuinely, hand on heart, say one of the things that gave me a little energy was keeping myself aware of our results over that Christmas period. We'd already entered it having not conceded for a good couple of months (seriously - our defence was beastly that winter!) and I recall victories against Newcastle on Boxing Day, a derby victory over Everton a couple of days after that. West Brom then followed and then a bizarre draw against Bolton followed. I remember it so well - it's maybe the only thing that kept me fixated, following their scores and listening to Liverpool's matches on the radio while lying in bed. That's the great thing about following a club like Liverpool, they go a long way to comforting you and making life a little less miserable. I didn't have the energy to celebrate their goals or wins (even the derby victory) but it was just great to have that satisfaction of seeing Rafa and the boys were doing the business.

But I'll always remember the absolute thrill of our 5-3 victory over Luton Town in the FA Cup Third Round at the end of it all. I was already getting better by that stage and my voice was returning (though it'd be a few weeks before I could return to school!) but the sheer energy I got, particularly when Alonso scored that final goal from inside our own half, was fantastic. I still hold it close to my heart that match and it remains one of my favourite ever Liverpool matches.

But to return to your point... let's get this b***ard of a trophy.

Great post.

Just the West Ham match to be rearranged  we host Watford December 14, then have a semifinal match on the 18th  in Qatar where I would expect a lot of squad players, then the final on the 21st, probably against a South American side, with our strongest side.

Win the trophy, back in time for Boxing Day at Leicester.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #11: Sep 04, 2019 10:01:43 pm
      If we win it or not, we’re on the F***ing charge  8)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #12: Sep 04, 2019 10:15:47 pm
      It does look like this years kit has been designed with a place for the cool world club champions logo to go
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #13: Sep 05, 2019 01:14:02 am
      Nice to be playing in such a Tournament. Who would have thought we would ever play in this tourni with the previous owners and Managers in charge?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #14: Sep 05, 2019 01:29:09 am
      Nice to be playing in such a Tournament. Who would have thought we would ever play in this tourni with the previous owners and Managers in charge?

Is right Oz.

Rodgers couldn't even get a decent CL team out against Real Madrid in that ill fated game 5 years ago.
      Stevie was livid.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #15: Sep 05, 2019 01:13:52 pm
      We won every game in December last year, City lost about 3 in a 4 game stretch but still won the league with us finishing a “point or two” behind. The domestic side of the season is far from make or break in December.

I want us to win everything, sacrificing isn’t an option, especially something it’s rare you get to compete for.

To be honest, it’s two extra games. If we weren’t booted out of the league cup so early virtually every season lately then we’d have had them extra games anyway.

I’m sure the lads are capable of some extra games and ultimately if you want to be successful then this is what comes with it, if people don’t like us playing so many games then follow someone else.
      Not forgetting there is a winter break this season so I think we will be fine with these 2 games.
      100% want us to win this, but I'll gladly sacrifice the FA & League cup (by sacrifice I mean putting largely 2nd string teams out) to give us every chance in the big 2 again.

Think this year and next year, with this current crop of players, will be the best chance we ever have of finally lifting the prem trophy.

COYR!!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #16: Sep 05, 2019 04:31:16 pm
      Don't want us to sacrifice or give up any trophy. Probably makes me a dinosaur but i don't care
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #17: Sep 05, 2019 04:39:46 pm
      In it to win it!

Let's start piling trophies up. When JĂźrgen leaves i want to see a laundry list of things he has won with us.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Sep 05, 2019 04:42:08 pm
      Don't want us to sacrifice or give up any trophy. Probably makes me a dinosaur but i don't care

I hear you. I suppose our 2ND XI at this point, compared to the lineup for the past two matches, would be:

gK
      Milner or Hoever, Gomez, Lovren, Milner or Larouci
      Lallana, Keita, Ox
      Shaw, Brewster, Origi.

If we run that group out for League Cup matches, wound you consider it a sacrifice. What about compared to Brendan's lineup vs. Real Madrid?

Of course JĂźrgen could also just make 1-3 changes each match to give everyone a break through the season.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #19: Sep 05, 2019 05:02:13 pm
      I hear you. I suppose our 2ND XI at this point, compared to the lineup for the past two matches, would be:

gK
      Milner or Hoever, Gomez, Lovren, Milner or Larouci
      Lallana, Keita, Ox
      Shaw, Brewster, Origi.

If we run that group out for League Cup matches, wound you consider it a sacrifice. What about compared to Brendan's lineup vs. Real Madrid?

Of course JĂźrgen could also just make 1-3 changes each match to give everyone a break through the season.

Depends on the opposition. The wolves away cup game for me smacked of just sticking out any old 11 but chelsea in the league was better but not good enough on the night
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20: Sep 05, 2019 05:17:08 pm
      Lets go and smash all comers. This is one we have just missed out on previously, its also 1 that the mancs have over on us.

While Klopp is here we want to win as much as we can.

This would make a lovely treble of trophy's for this team.

The squad is big enough and good enough to rotate once the busy winter schedule kicks in.

I cant wait for this one tbh.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Sep 05, 2019 05:18:50 pm
      100% want us to win this, but I'll gladly sacrifice the FA & League cup (by sacrifice I mean putting largely 2nd string teams out) to give us every chance in the big 2 again.

Think this year and next year, with this current crop of players, will be the best chance we ever have of finally lifting the prem trophy.

COYR!!!

We have decent draw for a change in the league cup, so klopp will defo rotate massively in the league cup, and hopefully we go quite far using the squad.

Hopefully we get a favorable draw in the early FA cup rounds too.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #22: Sep 08, 2019 03:08:01 am

Quick Reply