Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

FIFA Club World Cup 2019

Read 33860 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: FIFA Club World Cup 2019
      Reply #23: Sep 08, 2019 10:43:25 am

Did he miss us beating Barca 4-0 or perhaps he doesn't consider that Barca team full of "galacticos", what a dick! If we turn up then we'll spank any team we have to face.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Sep 08, 2019 11:22:21 am

Who was the last lot to write us off, Barca or Bayern?
      We beat the Champions of France, Germany, Spain, Portugal and wherever else last year. So they lost 1-0 to Madrid 2 years ago, we twatted Barca 4-0 a matter of months ago.

Trouble is with teams like this is that they know going toe to toe with a team like us they don’t stand a chance, so they try to be billy big bollocks and try the mind games.

Maybe they should focus on getting past their own semi final before even thinking about us.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: Sep 08, 2019 03:30:36 pm
      I expect we will be a more professional team than we were in 05 when Carragher and Hamann attempted to run away from the Japanese police at 3 o'clock in the morning.

What?! Tell us more about this. Hahaha

Btw. This could be a rematch of 1981, as Flamengo are semifinalists of the Copa Libertadores this year.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #26: Sep 08, 2019 03:33:07 pm

Btw. This could be a rematch of 1981, as Flamengo are semifinalists of the Copa Libertadores this year.

Didi hamann stopping a taxi by lying in the road
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #27: Sep 08, 2019 03:47:07 pm

I wish we had the Copa Libertadores live on TV here in the UK. I know BT Sport use to screen it but even then it seemed bottom of the bill.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #29: Sep 09, 2019 01:30:44 pm
      South American team to be decided on 23rd November (Copa Libertadores final) and African side to be decided on 24th November.

I can see why the South American sides have been so dominant in this competition under that format - you've got the guarantee of a team bang in form just weeks before this competition.

Semi Finals of Copa Libertadores played in October.

River Plate (ARG) v Boca Juniors (ARG)
      Gremio (BRA) v Flamengo (BRA)

I could be wrong but I think the only side we've played out of them is Flamengo when they beat us in 1981.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #30: Sep 09, 2019 01:41:33 pm
      South American team to be decided on 23rd November (Copa Libertadores final) and African side to be decided on 24th November.

I can see why the South American sides have been so dominant in this competition under that format - you've got the guarantee of a team bang in form just weeks before this competition.

Semi Finals of Copa Libertadores played in October.

River Plate (ARG) v Boca Juniors (ARG)
      Gremio (BRA) v Flamengo (BRA)

I could be wrong but I think the only side we've played out of them is Flamengo when they beat us in 1981.

I'd like to think the Premiership is reasonably competitive plus we have CL games, so I'm not sure I quite understand your point. Why would South American teams have an advantage over the European teams?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #31: Sep 09, 2019 03:26:23 pm
      I'm not sure I quite understand your point. Why would South American teams have an advantage over the European teams?

It will be 6 months since the European Champions had won their crown.  It will have been 4 weeks since the best South American team won their title.

A lot can happen in 6 months e.g. Ajax.  Less can happen in 3 or 4 weeks.

Thus the timing of the tournament at the moment gives South American sides an advantage over a European team.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #32: Sep 09, 2019 03:54:52 pm
      It will be 6 months since the European Champions had won their crown.  It will have been 4 weeks since the best South American team won their title.

Thus the timing of the tournament at the moment gives South American sides an advantage over a European team.

I am trying to figure out the logic in this and I....just....can't.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #33: Sep 09, 2019 08:51:38 pm
      Considering that 2 of the last 3 years a team from Asia has made the final (though the to sides who made it were hosting the event) over the Copa Libertadores winners I think Copa Libertadores vs Champions League should not be set in stone.

We play to our ability and take it somewhat serious we should see it through, we should of won back in 2005 given the horrible calls vs us but anyway looking forward to it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #34: Sep 09, 2019 11:43:58 pm

That's correct

I know that Flamengo team off the top of my head, it was that good!
      Raul, Leandro, Mozer, Marinho, Júnior, Andrade, Adílio, Zico, Tita, Lico, Nunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUVA-eIv0s0
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35: Sep 10, 2019 09:50:24 am

Are you suggesting we are worse now than we were against Spurs in the final???
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #36: Sep 10, 2019 06:22:53 pm
      I am trying to figure out the logic in this and I....just....can't.

I get it and for me the timing suits the south americans. 
      Which is a better team the Ajax which lost to spurs or the Ajax in December this year?
      Which is the better team the Real Madrid team that beat us in the final or the team last December without Ronaldo and Zidane? Yes they won and comfortably but which was a better team?

The point is that firstly after a summer transfer window  there can be drastic changes like with Ajax and Real Madrid.   And secondly the peak of a season is when the major trophies are picked up around that time.   

Are you suggesting we are worse now than we were against Spurs in the final???

I think if we played the Barca team that had played 80% of the season in the second leg against the team we have now it wouldn't beat that team 4-0 right now because our team hasn't peaked yet.   But the Barca team would be very close to their peak at that moment. The point is about TIMING.  When does a team peak is subjective yes but winners of major competitions usually peak in the semi's and final or even quarter final.  Our best came in the 2nd leg of the semi final around that time.  The final was another issue about TIMING giving us a 3 week break.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #37: Sep 11, 2019 02:01:43 pm
      I get it and for me the timing suits the south americans. 
      Which is a better team the Ajax which lost to spurs or the Ajax in December this year?
      Which is the better team the Real Madrid team that beat us in the final or the team last December without Ronaldo and Zidane? Yes they won and comfortably but which was a better team?

The point is that firstly after a summer transfer window  there can be drastic changes like with Ajax and Real Madrid.   And secondly the peak of a season is when the major trophies are picked up around that time.   
      I think if we played the Barca team that had played 80% of the season in the second leg against the team we have now it wouldn't beat that team 4-0 right now because our team hasn't peaked yet.   But the Barca team would be very close to their peak at that moment. The point is about TIMING.  When does a team peak is subjective yes but winners of major competitions usually peak in the semi's and final or even quarter final.  Our best came in the 2nd leg of the semi final around that time.  The final was another issue about TIMING giving us a 3 week break.

but we haven't lost any players since the final so what on earth is your point???
      If we didn't play any competitive matches between the CL final and the world club cup final then you would have  a valid point but we do and the vast majority of them are very competitive as well so we will be every bit as fit and ready as any other team.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #38: Sep 11, 2019 10:33:06 pm
      Sorry I thought you didn't get it.  But you just don't want to get it.  I asked to basic questions no reply to neither.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39: Sep 12, 2019 08:08:13 am
      Sorry I thought you didn't get it.  But you just don't want to get it.  I asked to basic questions no reply to neither.

I did answer your questions by stating that we haven't lost any players as opposed to Ajax and Real Madrid, can you perhaps try to respond to my reply?
      To repeat, why do you think we will be weaker in December this year than we were on the 1st June?
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #40: Sep 12, 2019 09:30:50 am

Not sure that's THAT significant a factor this year, moreso the conditions will probably favour the South Americans, assuming it's pretty hot.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41: Sep 12, 2019 09:40:54 am
      Not sure that's THAT significant a factor this year, moreso the conditions will probably favour the South Americans, assuming it's pretty hot.

Its not pretty hot, the average temp in Qatar in December is 20C so that will probably favour a European team more than a South American one.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #42: Sep 12, 2019 09:43:27 am
      but we haven't lost any players since the final so what on earth is your point???
      If we didn't play any competitive matches between the CL final and the world club cup final then you would have  a valid point but we do and the vast majority of them are very competitive as well so we will be every bit as fit and ready as any other team.

Fit and ready to compete in the group stage for sure but are we ready yet to compete in a CL final?....I think not...timing is everything...if we peak too early we won't have a successful season...ie; win major honours...it's true we haven't lost any players but those same player's will be different from last season...it's a new campaign both domestically and in Europe so there will be a different mindset from that of last season...

This season domestically at least i think we are already better than last, we will of course employ the same 'One game at a time' theory which almost but not quite brought us the holy grail,  and barring less drawn games this term will have us all delerious come the season's end...

Reaching our peak is imo some way off yet, but we are fit enough and ready enough to keep us ahead of the game.

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #43: Sep 12, 2019 03:31:10 pm
      Winning this would be an excellent Christmas present
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #44: Sep 12, 2019 03:49:48 pm

Fit and ready to compete in the group stage for sure but are we ready yet to compete in a CL final?....I think not...timing is everything...if we peak too early we won't have a successful season...ie; win major honours...it's true we haven't lost any players but those same player's will be different from last season...it's a new campaign both domestically and in Europe so there will be a different mindset from that of last season...

This season domestically at least i think we are already better than last, we will of course employ the same 'One game at a time' theory which almost but not quite brought us the holy grail,  and barring less drawn games this term will have us all delerious come the season's end...

Reaching our peak is imo some way off yet, but we are fit enough and ready enough to keep us ahead of the game.

YNWA

If we haven't peaked by December we can kiss the league goodbye. Last year we seemed to peak very nicely in December or at least reach very high levels in December.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #45: Sep 12, 2019 04:02:33 pm
      If we haven't peaked by December we can kiss the league goodbye. Last year we seemed to peak very nicely in December or at least reach very high levels in December.

You're doing it again.

Quick Reply