Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

FIFA Club World Cup 2019

Read 33581 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: FIFA Club World Cup 2019
      Reply #46: Sep 12, 2019 04:42:08 pm

Sorry, doing what? I just thought I was defending my point of view
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #47: Sep 12, 2019 04:45:31 pm

He's not wrong though.

Apparently the concern is Gremio (or whoever wins Libertadores) would have an "advantage" because they will be at their peak, while we are not (sigh), but yet last December was probably our best month when we went 7-0 in the league.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #48: Sep 12, 2019 06:14:38 pm
      He's not wrong though.

Apparently the concern is Gremio (or whoever wins Libertadores) would have an "advantage" because they will be at their peak, while we are not (sigh), but yet last December was probably our best month when we went 7-0 in the league.

I am following the discussion, thanks.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #49: Sep 12, 2019 06:19:24 pm
      We shouldn't need to be at peak to win this, our form in December should be easily good enough as long as we take it seriously.

Could be taking the South American sides for granted but I doubt they will be used to our pressing game and quality.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #50: Sep 12, 2019 09:09:33 pm
      We shouldn't need to be at peak to win this, our form in December should be easily good enough as long as we take it seriously.

Could be taking the South American sides for granted but I doubt they will be used to our pressing game and quality.

Fazakerly, I seriously doubt they would have faced anything like us , the intensity of our play will have them bamboozled and not knowing whether to stick or twist, assuming we’re not going there  for a jolly Jürgen will have the lads ready and take this opportunity for further silverware very seriously, the boys themselves will want to perform and prove that they are one of the best club sides if not thee best side this side of the Milky Way.

YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #51: Sep 13, 2019 12:29:04 am
      Let's go WIN this!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #52: Sep 16, 2019 03:43:37 pm
      Looks like we play Monterrey, CONCACAF champions from Mexico if early round games go by form. South American champions will await in the final.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #53: Sep 16, 2019 03:55:37 pm
      Looks like we play Monterrey, CONCACAF champions from Mexico if early round games go by form. South American champions will await in the final.

Just looked them up and their league season finishes on the 15th December before it goes to playoffs.

They're 11th out of 19 after 9 games so don't look like they are doing particularly well.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #54: Sep 16, 2019 04:35:24 pm
      Just looked them up and their league season finishes on the 15th December before it goes to playoffs.

They're 11th out of 19 after 9 games so don't look like they are doing particularly well.

Since they play two seasons per year, it is not unusual for the Mexican clubs to take a season off, so to speak. This team would struggle to deal with us at full throttle over 90 minutes, and they don't defend so well. Their strength is in drawing and executing set pieces.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #55: Sep 30, 2019 09:19:05 pm
      Just FYI

Qatar 2022 World Cup venue to host Liverpool games at Club World Cup

Liverpool's matches at the Fifa Club World Cup in Qatar will be played in a stadium built for the 2022 World Cup.

The new Education City Stadium in Doha will host Liverpool's semi-final on 18 December - the same date as the final of the next World Cup will take place.

Fifa has moved the World Cup to a new slot in winter because of the oppressive summer heat in Qatar.

The Gulf nation is currently hosting the World Athletics Championships, which have suffered from low crowds.

The Club World Cup will be the next major event there, with Liverpool taking part as Europe's representatives, having won the Champions League in May.

Jürgen Klopp's Premier League leaders automatically go into a semi-final where they could play local side Al Sadd, managed by Spain great Xavi, Hienghene Sport of New Caledonia or Mexican side Monterey.

They will remain at the 40,000-seater stadium for either the final or third-place play-off on 21 December.

rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #56: Oct 24, 2019 01:26:04 pm
      River Plate and Flamengo through from SA
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #57: Oct 25, 2019 03:49:25 pm
      River Plate and Flamengo through from SA

Did you check out any of the atmosphere in that River-Boca match? I've been in both of those stadiums and it is some kind of experience.

Of course in Qatar our fans will have the chance to show their quality of support again. I wonder how many will travel.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #58: Oct 25, 2019 03:54:58 pm
      Did you check out any of the atmosphere in that River-Boca match? I've been in both of those stadiums and it is some kind of experience.

Of course in Qatar our fans will have the chance to show their quality of support again. I wonder how many will travel.

Havent seen any of it and have heard the big game in Argentina is something else. Fair play to you having been in both a bit scary at times I bet . Not sure how many will travel near Christmas I know my brother who works in Riyad saying ex Pat's and workers interested but struggling to get tickets
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #59: Oct 25, 2019 04:04:57 pm
      Havent seen any of it and have heard the big game in Argentina is something else. Fair play to you having been in both a bit scary at times I bet . Not sure how many will travel near Christmas I know my brother who works in Riyad saying ex Pat's and workers interested but struggling to get tickets

Not being sold locally?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #60: Oct 25, 2019 06:07:53 pm

We're supposed to be getting an allocation, it's just waiting on information from th club. Some tickets have been on sale exclusively to Visa creditcard holders and also Qatar Airways have been offering deals including flights.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #61: Oct 25, 2019 06:58:45 pm

They are but for the Semis they are being swallowed up by the big companies said its dodgy as different rates for different people etc no problem for the Qtrs though
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #62: Oct 25, 2019 09:47:02 pm
      They are but for the Semis they are being swallowed up by the big companies said its dodgy as different rates for different people etc no problem for the Qtrs though

Those early round games (think New Caledonia champion vs. Qatari winners, tend to be sparsely attended. These may be the nicest-looking empty stadiums we'll see.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #63: Oct 26, 2019 11:11:18 am
      Am sure I’ll get into it once it starts but I’m afraid I’m not the least bit excited about this competition. Hope I’m completely off the mark but I am struggling not to see it as a huge pain in the ass and potential disruption to our title challenge.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #64: Oct 26, 2019 11:43:54 am

Fazakerly, I seriously doubt they would have faced anything like us , the intensity of our play will have them bamboozled and not knowing whether to stick or twist, assuming we’re not going there  for a jolly Jürgen will have the lads ready and take this opportunity for further silverware very seriously, the boys themselves will want to perform and prove that they are one of the best club sides if not thee best side this side of the Milky Way.

YNWA
      🤔 hmmmmmm not to sure about this as Flamengo have a European manager who have been playing the high up field press all season and been smashing every one in South America
      « Last Edit: Oct 26, 2019 09:20:39 pm by verde-rubro »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #65: Oct 31, 2019 01:49:52 pm
      I understand the argument in the other thread that a day at Wembley for a cup final is preferred to a trip to Qatar.

I will say, the possibility of us playing a match vs. Flamengo or River Plate is an appealing one to me. For those who think it would be a corporate friendly, know that to these South American teams it would not be.

If we go full rotation (think last night's team) for the semifinal against Mexican champions, that will be a tough test as well.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #66: Oct 31, 2019 02:29:16 pm
      I understand the argument in the other thread that a day at Wembley for a cup final is preferred to a trip to Qatar.

I will say, the possibility of us playing a match vs. Flamengo or River Plate is an appealing one to me. For those who think it would be a corporate friendly, know that to these South American teams it would not be.

If we go full rotation (think last night's team) for the semifinal against Mexican champions, that will be a tough test as well.

A match against River or Flamengo, if in a decent location & reasonably accessible for both sets of supporters would be an unbelievable spectacle. Which is even more of a crying shame that the game that the tournament is being held in a Sharia Middle-Eastern country. Missing out on the prospect of a once in a lifetime atmosphere
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #67: Oct 31, 2019 03:58:29 pm
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/tickets/371410-fifa-club-world-cup-tickets-liverpool

Yep you read that right - 600 tickets in a 40,000 seater for the semi final and 900 for the final.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #68: Oct 31, 2019 04:23:26 pm
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/tickets/371410-fifa-club-world-cup-tickets-liverpool

Yep you read that right - 600 tickets in a 40,000 seater for the semi final and 900 for the final.

1.5% of the crowd.

I'm all for this competition, but that is a piss take.

Quick Reply