Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-Match: Napoli v Liverpool [UEFA CL Group Game 1] 17th Sep 2019 8pm

Read 5975 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: Pre-Match: Napoli v Liverpool [UEFA CL Group Game 1] 17th Sep 2019 8pm
      Reply #23: Sep 17, 2019 09:02:36 am
      Won't be too downhearted if we don't get all 3 points, even a defeat wouldn't bother me too much. Only thing that would slightly worry me is the fact we could lose a bit of momentum if we do fail to win. That said, we had  some poor performances in the group stages last year and it didn't seem to effect our league form in the slightest.

On a different point I hope all the supporters who've traveled over stay safe. Lots of spares knocking about for this one, quite a few below FV too so understandably there's a lot of people who don't fancy it. Naples is a lovely place (especially the old town) but it can drag itself back into the dark ages when Football is involved
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #24: Sep 17, 2019 09:40:34 am
      Robbo a doubt, so Milner? May be TAA will be rested & Jürgen might go with Joe at RB - counter Lozano's pace. Otherwise, the front-6 pretty much picks itself.

Of the 20 traveled, Robbo and Lonergan wont make the squad probably.

Mane-Bobby-Mo
      Gini-Fab-Hendo
      Milly-Virgil-Matip-Gomez
      Adrian

Subs: Kelleher, Lovren, TAA, Ox, Lallana, Shaq, Brewster
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #25: Sep 17, 2019 09:54:30 am
      Tough match this and I'd take a point as I expect us to beat them in the return fixture.

1 all for me in a hard fought contest.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #26: Sep 17, 2019 10:26:43 am
      NB: Team no longer available

Pretty sure this will be the team. Don’t think any chances will be taken with Robbo and seems like the type of game where Jürgen would elect to go with Gomez.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #27: Sep 17, 2019 10:58:25 am

I fancy us to just sneak a win as I think pound for pound we are the better team and we are full of confidence at the moment.

Going 0-1 for this one.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #28: Sep 17, 2019 12:41:55 pm
      If I remember correctly in last season's game  I don't think we were anywhere near our best and correct me if I'm wrong one of our worst games of the season,

Anyhoo, it don't matter cos like us they will go through to the knockout stages without too much ado, it's only a matter of who finishes top,
      I don't fear anyone in the CL, not f***in one, Juve,  RM, Barca, bring it f***in on,

I'm going for 1-2 win, why, because we can.

YNWA
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #29: Sep 17, 2019 01:34:28 pm
      They're a good side.. probably one of the toughest opponents we faced on the way to Madrid last season.
      Anchelotti has them well organised and they have a couple of top players who can turn the game for them.
      If I remember rightly last time we played them on their own ground, Jürgen set up for the away point and we never really troubled them in the final third. Then they whipped our ass in time added on to poach the winner from us and take all 3 points.

I just don't see Jürgen making that same judgement with the line up and set up tonight.
      Plus the fact, we have the most potent front three on the planet right now and If they move and rotate like they did against Newcastle on Saturday, Mr Koulibaly and his back four need to be on their game.

We need fear no one in this competition.
      We are the unbearables !!! and more importantly, we are the European Champions.

:kop5cf8koxp6:

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #30: Sep 17, 2019 02:03:32 pm
      Reports in Italy say Robbo fit to play. We'll see, but i hooe so.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #31: Sep 17, 2019 02:04:54 pm
      Bit harsh...
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #32: Sep 17, 2019 02:28:04 pm
      Divi down and it seems once again that we havent much cover in attack
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #33: Sep 17, 2019 03:44:40 pm
      I think the story of our first two seasons back in the Champions League is that we start very slowly and end up in the final.

To be honest, if we smash these 5-0 I'd be concerned we had peaked too soon.

Seems strange considering we are on such a winning streak but I'd take a point.  Let's face it, Napoli are going to be well more up for this than us after we knocked them out of the tournament last year.

Looking forward to it, seems like a bit of a free hit. 

If I remember correctly in last season's game  I don't think we were anywhere near our best and correct me if I'm wrong one of our worst games of the season,

For me, it was our worst performance of last season. 
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #34: Sep 17, 2019 04:03:40 pm
      I find these games relaxing for some reason. I'm so much more nervous for league games these days!

We cannot be any worse than last year and I think Fabinho & Hendo in this years midfield should help.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #35: Sep 17, 2019 05:02:05 pm
      Start of another campaign , can we do the unthinkable and get to our third in a row ,? Any sort of run with players staying fit and there won’t be many relishing taking us on , we’ve got our mojo back and it’s time to relish it
      Cmon you red men .
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #36: Sep 17, 2019 05:14:28 pm
      Preparing the defend the reigning Champions.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #37: Sep 17, 2019 05:16:25 pm
      I think the story of our first two seasons back in the Champions League is that we start very slowly and end up in the final.

To be honest, if we smash these 5-0 I'd be concerned we had peaked too soon.

Seems strange considering we are on such a winning streak but I'd take a point.  Let's face it, Napoli are going to be well more up for this than us after we knocked them out of the tournament last year.

Looking forward to it, seems like a bit of a free hit. 

For me, it was our worst performance of last season. 

Thought as much JD,  like you rightly said we start slow and improve as we go on, I'm sure there was a time last season that we were in danger of not qualifying , so yeah finding your peak is tantamount to succeed further up the pipe.

I think we'll see this side tonight, no real surprises....

Adrian
              Gomez Matip VvD Milner
                               Fabinho
                   Hendo               Gini
               Salah     Firmino     Mane

It'll be as tight as a nun's punani, but i think we will win 1-2, good side this and they will test us no doubt,
      Bobby & Salah with the goodies.

MON REDMEN!!!

YNWA
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #38: Sep 17, 2019 05:24:09 pm
      I genuinely can’t see Klopp losing a two legged tie and we should qualify from this group - we’re going to another European final boys!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #39: Sep 17, 2019 05:29:16 pm
      Think we’re going to be sensational tonight & send out a message..

â€˜We shall not be moved..’
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Reply #40: Sep 17, 2019 05:54:18 pm
      This could be a tough game. But it obviously won't define our C/L campaign.They did us pre season so they will be confident. We have to keep it tight. Do a job on them, not our game but staying a bit deeper and hit them on the break could be the way.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,951 posts | 8458 
      Reply #41: Sep 17, 2019 06:06:07 pm
      I've heard a few reds have been attacked over there in a bar including one lad getting a crow bar over the head. Hope all Reds stay safe out there. Think we'll nick a tight game 2-1
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #42: Sep 17, 2019 06:30:57 pm
      Last year, they set up to contain and hit us on the break, but opened up when they saw how disjointed we were.

I expect Ancelotti to be just as cagey, and I expect us to keep things tight.

I think it might be quite a boring game, with one side sneaking a win, or a a bore draw.
      I'm not fussed if we draw, it would be nice to get a point on the board.
      A win would be a cracking start, but I don't see us going all out for it.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #43: Sep 17, 2019 06:31:57 pm
      Expect Mane to score tonight, he seems really on fire lately.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #44: Sep 17, 2019 06:38:26 pm
      Robbo passed fit
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #45: Sep 17, 2019 06:43:42 pm
      I've heard a few reds have been attacked over there in a bar including one lad getting a crow bar over the head. Hope all Reds stay safe out there. Think we'll nick a tight game 2-1

These nutters have no place in football, they should be weeded out and given a life long ban, from attending any sort of sporting event. I hope that the lads are ok.

Quick Reply