Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Napoli v Liverpool [UEFA CL Group Game 1] 17th Sep 2019 8pm

Read 5968 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Pre-Match: Napoli v Liverpool [UEFA CL Group Game 1] 17th Sep 2019 8pm
      Sep 16, 2019 11:24:24 am
      Liverpool begin their defence of their European crown in, likely, the toughest game in the group - away at Napoli.

Napoli are 5th in Serie A after two wins and one defeat.  That defeat coming against champions Juventus thanks to a late own goal from Kouliably.  Napoli were 3-0 down against Juve before scoring 3 times to level in just 15 minutes.

Dries Mertens scored both goals at the weekend in their 2-0 win over Sampdoria.

Liverpool's injury/unavailable list includes Alisson, Keita and Origi.

Match is on BT Sport 2 in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htqlqu1l2z4
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pre-Match: Napoli v Liverpool [UEFA CL Group Game 1] 17th Sep 2019 8pm
      Reply #1: Sep 16, 2019 12:25:48 pm
      Really tough match, but a no risk match, even if we lose its not the end of the world so we can play with some freedom.

I fancy us to just sneak a win as I think pound for pound we are the better team and we are full of confidence at the moment.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #2: Sep 16, 2019 02:18:52 pm
      Really tough match, but a no risk match, even if we lose its not the end of the world so we can play with some freedom.

I fancy us to just sneak a win as I think pound for pound we are the better team and we are full of confidence at the moment.

Couldn’t have put it better myself
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #3: Sep 16, 2019 02:23:54 pm
      Looking forward to this and starting the defence of our European crown.

Expecting a good game and the same as heimdall - 1-2 red men  :laugh:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4: Sep 16, 2019 02:24:19 pm

Spot on, but I really quite fancy us to beat them.

the late loss last season was a sore one, they will want to put that right.

There will defo be a few changes, hendo will start for sure, possibly lallana or shaq if mane hasn't recovered from his knock.

Same can be said for robbo, might see milner at LB ?

Pundits were saying Gomez might start at RB too.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5: Sep 16, 2019 02:41:39 pm
      Tricky away game but one I see us winning 2-1..

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Sep 16, 2019 03:39:42 pm
      Spot on, but I really quite fancy us to beat them.

the late loss last season was a sore one, they will want to put that right.

There will defo be a few changes, hendo will start for sure, possibly lallana or shaq if mane hasn't recovered from his knock.

Same can be said for robbo, might see milner at LB ?

Pundits were saying Gomez might start at RB too.

Robbo didnt train this morning, but was on the plane to Italy. Origi did not travel, but Brewster did.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #7: Sep 16, 2019 06:48:32 pm
      Gone for a 2  1 win for the Reds, in what could be a difficult game.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #8: Sep 16, 2019 07:08:42 pm
      I posted 2-1 reds win as well. Seems to be the popular choice.
      Think everyone agrees it’s probably our toughest match in the group, especially as we’ll no doubt see a few changes in the line up. Still strong, but might be a tad disjointed due to just that.
      Graft coupled with belief should see us through. Just need to stay strong and concentrated at the back.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #9: Sep 16, 2019 07:10:49 pm
      I posted 2-1 reds win as well. Seems to be the popular choice.
      Think everyone agrees it’s probably our toughest match in the group, especially as we’ll no doubt see a few changes in the line up. Still strong, but might be a tad disjointed due to just that.
      Graft coupled with belief should see us through. Just need to stay strong and concentrated at the back.

I think the only changes are Henderson for Ox and Bobby for Divock (unless Robbo is injured).
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #10: Sep 16, 2019 07:48:24 pm

What I expect to see tomorrow. A sneaky 1 nil win will do!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #11: Sep 16, 2019 08:43:58 pm
      Wouldn't be risking Robbo if there's any doubt, Sunday is the bigger game of the two by some distance.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #12: Sep 16, 2019 08:46:59 pm
      I'm a bit worried thinking back to last season where we lost here, not about losing tomorrow but the effect it had on us last season when we played City at home 3 days later. We were lucky to escape with a draw.

Napoli gave ia a very difficult game and wore us down at the end to win, but it seemed to kill our legs for that City game.

With Chelsea away on the horizon I'm worried about the impact this game will have on that one. I'm sure Klopp will be aware of it, but I don't think he will rotate (the front 3 especially) against Napoli tomorrow unless he has to.

The midfield could be switched around a little and Milner will play IMO.

I dont see this as a game that we must win, but a game we must get out of the way to fight another day.

Whatever the result tomorrow I think we should top this group.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #13: Sep 16, 2019 08:51:39 pm
      Think this is a really tough game and we won’t be fluid at all.

But these days I fancy us to win every game, we’re so adaptable to match situations and manage to find a way. 2-0 to the reds in a horrible, scrappy game. Fancy VVD to get on the scoresheet.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Sep 16, 2019 09:56:27 pm

Wouldn’t say there is freedom with this match and not too bad if we lose. We play Chelsea at the weekend, I want us going into that game on the back of a win against a side that nearly put us out last season and then slaughtered us back in the summer.

Forget all this free pass nonsense, let’s win every game! Like you say, we are full of confidence, I don’t want that to drop going into a massive game at the weekend.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #15: Sep 16, 2019 09:59:14 pm
      Wouldn't be risking Robbo if there's any doubt, Sunday is the bigger game of the two by some distance.

Exactly this Sunday far more important in the scheme of things. Would play Gomez for sure and Milner . Hendo to come back as well
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: Sep 16, 2019 10:33:40 pm
      It  does not matter what eleven we start with as the whole squad want to be winners and that can't be a bad thing.It will be a close match but class will prevail and the MIGHTY REDS will win.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #17: Sep 16, 2019 10:47:15 pm
      The most important game is always the next one,  starting tomorrow
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #18: Sep 17, 2019 01:27:41 am
      Gone for 2-0 but I could see us scoring way more than 2.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #19: Sep 17, 2019 02:24:46 am
      This is going to be a tough match, would be great for momentum if we get a result but like it was mention it isn't the end of the world if we suffer a lost. Watched a bit of their game vs Samdoria the weekend though they didn't play Allan and Manolas who I expect play tomorrow they are pacey side with good attack with the likes of Mertens, Insigne, Lozano and Callejon. I just like to see us perform better then we did last year where we didn't have much of the ball or create any chances.

As for the line-up I expect us to go with pretty strong line-up, could see a change or two but see similar side to one who played the weekend (especially with the news Robbo could be out)

----------------Adrian-------------------
      TAA-----Matip---------VvD------Milner
      ------Gini----Fabinho-----Hendo-------
      --Salah------Firmino-------Mane-------

Subs: Kelleher, Lovern, Gomez, Lallana, Ox, Shaqiri, Brewster
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #20: Sep 17, 2019 03:20:24 am
      If anyone is even a remote concern, than I wouldn't start them. Mane, Robbo, etc. Obviously their always in our preferred 11, but I wouldn't risk anything right now. It would be great to win tomorrow, forsure. We all want to. But winning Sunday is a must. A loss tomorrow wont kill us, we are definitely getting through to the knock out stage.

Hell, I honestly think we will get to the final AGAIN
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21: Sep 17, 2019 05:32:44 am
      A point wouldn't be the end of the world, but a win would make us odds on to top the group. Let's get revenge for last season 👍
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #22: Sep 17, 2019 07:43:05 am
      Couldn't be happier to play Napoli away in the first match.

After last season's shambles at their ground, knocking them out in the final game and then going on to win it, this is the perfect game to get on the front foot.

In saying that, i'd take a point if given it now. Should really be strolling through the rest and then we can knock these off at Anfield to secure top spot in the group.

Adrian

TAA
      Matip
      VVD
      Milner

Fabinho
      Henderson
      Gini

Mane
      Salah
      Firmino

Quick Reply