Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Adrián
      32 (44.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      4 (5.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.4%)
      Joel Matip
      7 (9.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.8%)
       Fabinho
      24 (33.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: Sep 21, 2019 09:55:38 pm

Napoli 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30102 times
      Kitty
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 663 posts | 116 
      Re: Live: Napoli v Liverpool
      Reply #345: Sep 17, 2019 10:10:00 pm

He was going down before Robbo touched him!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Re: Napoli 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #346: Sep 17, 2019 10:11:54 pm
      We are human after all.
      And what is it about Napoli !? Bunch of flying squirts.
      We had chances, so had they - maybe they deserved to shade it, but 2 puts a bit of a gloss on it for them.
      Great save from Adrian, gave him the MOTM, thought he had a good game even though let in two.
      Great save from their keeper too from the Salah shot after defender error.
      Thought TAA and Firmino were poor all night. Bob looked a bit off the pace imho, strange cause he's been in such good form, and Trent had one of those games were he seems to loose the head for periods.
      Thought both teams looked tired before they got the peno - not even sure it was a peno, tho but of a tired lunge from Robbo.
      Think Jürgen will be annoyed they've done us again, and couldn't at least come away with a draw.
      Need to get our sh*t together and make sure the wheels don't come off at Chavski.
      We go again...
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #347: Sep 17, 2019 10:12:02 pm
      When a ref isn't punished for poor decisions on the field, I get it.

When a ref has a chance to see a replay of a player diving and still awards a penalty they must have some form of punishment. Has to be that simple.

Your performance as a VAR official must be held to a higher standard as you have the benefit.

For F**k sake if you're not sure just tell the ref to have a look instead of saying he's infallible.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #348: Sep 17, 2019 10:12:31 pm
      Didn’t deserve the defeat, certainly not a 2-0 defeat. VAR was pathetic again, typical shitty Italian football antics all game but even with that we had some good chances, I’d say we had better chances than them to score but ultimately if you don’t make them count then that’s the way it can go.

I’m not concerned though, you’d think the commentators and muppets in the studios etc were watching a different game because they are saying we are in trouble, huge advantage to Napoli etc...forgetting the other teams in our group are Salzburg and Genk and we went through last year having lost to PSG and Napoli...I’m not worried. Whether you finish 1st or 2nd, you are going to be in for a battle in the next round and there’s still 5 games to go.

Like the 3-0 defeat to Barca last season, the score could easily have been reversed with more of a clinical edge.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #349: Sep 17, 2019 10:13:13 pm
      Only positive is the reinforcement to work hard and refocus. Both fullbacks were poor Robbo extremely so.

Front 3 looked a little out of sync despite that still could have bagged a couple.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,280 posts | 235 
      Reply #350: Sep 17, 2019 10:16:23 pm
      pitch was bad really like last year
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #351: Sep 17, 2019 10:17:28 pm
      When a ref isn't punished for poor decisions on the field, I get it.

When a ref has a chance to see a replay of a player diving and still awards a penalty they must have some form of punishment. Has to be that simple.

Your performance as a VAR official must be held to a higher standard as you have the benefit.

For F**k sake if you're not sure just tell the ref to have a look instead of saying he's infallible.

Again, as explained by Peter Walton on BT, it has to be a clear and obvious error. By that they mean a total F**k up, and this was just a bit naive. Naive from the ref to fall for it (he should know the game situation and the player involved) and naive from our man for flicking out and giving the ref a decision to make.

If that was given as a dive and a yellow, VAR would have kept it as such. The referees first decision makes a huge difference on the outcome.

Personally I think it's all bollocks and designed to save the referees arse.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #352: Sep 17, 2019 10:18:31 pm
      Was a good performance from all except the 3 forwards who had a collective sh*t game, it happens, not the end of the world.
      I am baffled by var though, what exactly is required for a pen to be overturned?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #353: Sep 17, 2019 10:18:36 pm
      I wasn't going to come back on here tonight just thought let's just see if the doom mongers were gonna raise their ugly mugs,

How the F**k can a professional VAR referee sit there and watch a player take a blatant dive and award a penalty when there wasn't enough contact, to me this is further proof that VAR refs don't or won't sh*t on their mates,

Its a disgrace that VAR use ex refs rather than a independent body, or have a ex player or manager in as aadvisors , Refs and ex Refs don't play the game they only arbitrage.

Pissed off too with the two pricks in the comm box, it's all.doom and gloom with them regarding LFC,  we lost by a fu**ed up VAR decision and a mistake from us, to them its as if Napoli fu**ed us in the arse and were by far the best team, they didn't and they weren't, here's me thinking that their supposed to remain impartial,  f***in joke !!
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,121 posts | 126 
      Reply #354: Sep 17, 2019 10:20:35 pm
      Nah,

it wasn't great to be honest. First half sure, we looked decent but second half we were terrible. We kept losing the ball and our passing wasn't as good, especially our front 3 who played 6/10.

the penalty made us lose our confidence and we panicked after that.

Seriously, Napoli is a strong side and they had a few good chances too before the penalty. Hopefully we can beat them at Anfield though.

Jeez mate, it was the look of the draw, I thought we were the more threatening befofe the dodgy pen, in my eyes, but if this would have been in a qualifier. I would have been up in arms.  This VAV is a cop out
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,121 posts | 126 
      Reply #355: Sep 17, 2019 10:21:53 pm
      Jeez mate, it was the look of the draw, I thought we were the more threatening befofe the dodgy pen, in my eyes, but if this would have been in a qualifier. I would have been up in arms.  This VAR is a cop out by the so called authorities

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #356: Sep 17, 2019 10:23:25 pm
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 242 
      Reply #357: Sep 17, 2019 10:25:36 pm
      I wasn't going to come back on here tonight just thought let's just see if the doom mongers were gonna raise their ugly mugs,

How the f**k can a professional VAR referee sit there and watch a player take a blatant dive and award a penalty when there wasn't enough contact, to me this is further proof that VAR refs don't or won't sh*t on their mates,

Its a disgrace that VAR use ex refs rather than a independent body, or have a ex player or manager in as aadvisors , Refs and ex Refs don't play the game they only arbitrage.

Pissed off too with the two pricks in the comm box, it's all.doom and gloom with them regarding LFC,  we lost by a fu**ed up VAR decision and a mistake from us, to them its as if Napoli fu**ed us in the arse and were by far the best team, they didn't and they weren't, here's me thinking that their supposed to remain impartial,  f***in joke !!

I accept the crap they come up with but when in other games a ball brushed a hand of the attacking player and it get ruled out but if it brushes the hand of a defender it's not a penalty?
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,523 posts | 388 
      Reply #358: Sep 17, 2019 10:26:10 pm
      Unreal stuff on bt right now..... suddenly we’re in crisis haha
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #359: Sep 17, 2019 10:28:03 pm
      Thought we were pretty good until the shambolic VAR bollocks. And when on top the dirty cu*ts start F***ing cheating as usual. Oh well same as last year then, shaky start, then go and win it  ;D
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #360: Sep 17, 2019 10:29:44 pm
      I'd like to defend VAR. It's only purpose is to avoid downright false decisions like if Robbo would have never touched the Napoli Player, but he did.

The problem here is not VAR but modern football and it's values. No way a player of England would have gone to the ground 50 years ago in such a situation. Basically modern pro football players are all some kind of scammers and let's face it: we fans tolerate it.

I also think the Chelsea game in a couple of days will be more important to win. This was one of the best times we could lose. Rather here than @Chelsea or in some KO stage. Games like that tonight just happen, no reason to overanalyze or overcritizise.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #361: Sep 17, 2019 10:31:48 pm
      Watched the pen a few times still dont see how it was given, the Virgil,  Robbo 2 step sort of capped a crap night.it had 0-0 written all over it until then ,I gave Adrian MOTM a few good saves and he was  awfi unlucky wi the pen.
      As another poster posted we need some guile and pace in the middle so its just a matter of Ox and Naby getting back to full fitness to give Jürgen more options,
      Its a strange one I dont know if Im fed up, disappointed underwhelmed or pissed of at the manner in which we lost ,is it a wake up call I wouldnt say that ,Jürgen may rattle a few cages but I thought over all both sides had their moments they got the nod for the penalty and that was that,if nothing else Im sure Chelsea will get our full attention at the weekend ,I hope Brewster gets a berth and some game time on Sunday  have high hopes for this lad 
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,280 posts | 763 
      Reply #362: Sep 17, 2019 10:32:09 pm
      Shock to the system tbh, losing 2  0 to Napoli.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #363: Sep 17, 2019 10:32:16 pm
      At this point, football refs are worse than WWE refs.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #364: Sep 17, 2019 10:40:30 pm
      Penalty was iffy to say the least but it was a tough night. Robbo looked a bit off as well, may be should've left him out seeing as how hw was just about fit but he is a hard player to leave out.

Up front we looked a bit,not knackered..just misfiring slightly.Bit disjointed.Still all to play for.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #365: Sep 17, 2019 10:44:52 pm
      Surely this "clear and obvious error" is all just an arse covering exercise for the officials? Surely an error is an error, whether that's clear and obvious or not. They've got the systems in place so they should be checking decisions like this as if it was "clear and obvious". You could argue it slows the game down but how does the officials taking the time to check they aren't making a mistake take any longer than the time wasted with players protesting their cases to the ref. The amount of times players throw themselves to the ground in situations like this, I'd have thought it was a given to be checking it properly.

An error is an error, regardless of how they want to dress it up with get out phrases such as "clear and obvious".

But in terms of Robbo, he was off his game all night, I said in the first half they were getting too much joy down his side. Then he put himself in a difficult position and gave the opportunity to Callejon to throw himself and then he was sleeping on the back pass from Virgil. There was a point as well their player was only just offside because Robbo, who was able to see across the line wasn't alert and up in line with the other 3. Every now and again he has games like this or games where he loses his cool and looks like he could get sent off.
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2019 10:49:41 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #366: Sep 17, 2019 10:46:06 pm
      Before I read the thread, just want to say what a pleasing match this was to watch (except the result) and what a good football-playing team we are.

Could have won and definitely drawn on another day but didn't have any fortune or quite enough quality with the finishing today.

Great saves by Adrian. He is SO much better than Simon as a backup option.  But my MOTM is Fabinho. He was immense.

Hate that we didn't get a result but am supremely confident at our chances in everything this season.

Now on to page 1 of the thread in search of comedy gold!
      RedWilly

• 9,183 posts | 1635 
      Reply #367: Sep 17, 2019 10:52:10 pm
      Surely this "clear and obvious error" is all just an arse covering exercise for the officials? Surely an error is an error, whether that's clear and obvious or not. They've got the systems in place so they should be checking decisions like this as if it was "clear and obvious". You could argue it slows the game down but how does the officials taking the time to check they aren't making a mistake take any longer than the time wasted with players protesting their cases to the ref. The amount of times players throw themselves to the ground in situations like this, I'd have thought it was a given to be checking it properly.

An error is an error, regardless of how they want to dress it up with get out phrases such as "clear and obvious".

But in terms of Robbo, he was off his game all night, I said in the first half they were getting too much joy down his side. Then he put himself in a difficult position and gave the opportunity to Callejon to throw himself and then he was sleeping on the back pass from Virgil. There was a point as well their player was only just offside because Robbo, who was able to see across the line wasn't alert and up in line with the other 3. Every now and again he has games like this or games where he loses his cool and looks like he could get sent off.

Agree. No excuse for any pen decision to not be checked by VAR.

I understand the logic for if it was applied for foils outside the box, the game would be stopped every few minutes. But how often is there a penalty shout in a game? A couple of times a match? Can easily check that.

Think someone else mentioned in another thread, it’s a farce that VAR is basically saying ‘you got it wrong but not wrong enough to intervene’. Useless system so far.

Quick Reply