Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Adrián
      32 (44.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      4 (5.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.4%)
      Joel Matip
      7 (9.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.8%)
       Fabinho
      24 (33.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: Sep 21, 2019 09:55:38 pm

Napoli 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29587 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Re: Napoli 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Sep 17, 2019 10:53:23 pm
      Didn't get to watch the game so can't really comment on it, but I I did watch the replay of the "penalty" and I am getting tired of VAR. It was supposed to eliminate bad decisions, all it does is protect referees who make bad decisions.

Hopefully we aren't sluggish at the weekend because at this point, this loss means nothing as far as our chances to progress in the CL. Not even worried there, but I definitely don't want a hangover in our league campaign.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #369: Sep 17, 2019 10:55:56 pm

How the f**k can a professional VAR referee sit there and watch a player take a blatant dive and award a penalty when there wasn't enough contact, to me this is further proof that VAR refs don't or won't sh*t on their mates,

Agree with this. Being a ref is very difficult because you have to make a decision in real time on a play that takes a split second to happen with players who are well trained in diving. For this reason is that i thought VAR was going to be valuable and be used to help the refs, but when game-changing calls like this are not reviewed then wtf is the point?
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,207 posts | 1414 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #370: Sep 17, 2019 11:01:01 pm
      Not the end of the world, away in Italy, always tough, they seem to be masters at being annoying shits... that’s their ground out the way though...
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #371: Sep 17, 2019 11:25:51 pm
      Surely this "clear and obvious error" is all just an arse covering exercise for the officials? Surely an error is an error, whether that's clear and obvious or not. They've got the systems in place so they should be checking decisions like this as if it was "clear and obvious". You could argue it slows the game down but how does the officials taking the time to check they aren't making a mistake take any longer than the time wasted with players protesting their cases to the ref. The amount of times players throw themselves to the ground in situations like this, I'd have thought it was a given to be checking it properly.

An error is an error, regardless of how they want to dress it up with get out phrases such as "clear and obvious".

But in terms of Robbo, he was off his game all night, I said in the first half they were getting too much joy down his side. Then he put himself in a difficult position and gave the opportunity to Callejon to throw himself and then he was sleeping on the back pass from Virgil. There was a point as well their player was only just offside because Robbo, who was able to see across the line wasn't alert and up in line with the other 3. Every now and again he has games like this or games where he loses his cool and looks like he could get sent off.

Don't forget Robbo played two matches for Scotland in less than a week, and then went 90 vs. Newcastle and only passed a late fitness test to feature tonight. In fact I don't think he's missed a minute all season, has he? Was definitely fading in the 2nd half but still gave his all, like always.

But as you say, was never a penalty.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #372: Sep 17, 2019 11:35:53 pm

Klopp on the penalty: "I am pretty sure there are different views on that situation, but when the player jumps before there is contact it cannot be a penalty. We cannot change that anymore, so now we carry on. That’s it."

The more I watch it, it is one of the worst penalty decisions I've seen given, particularly at such a crucial time in the match. I thought he was calling a decent game in the first half but I think the crowd and the Napoli players moaning got to him as the match went on. Hopefully the referee assessment states as much.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #373: Sep 17, 2019 11:41:03 pm
      Another response from Klopp, at the idea Napoli were fresher and stronger:

"Tonight the questions are really a challenge, to be honest. I think the guy from Sky Italia asked me or told me Napoli was much better than us. I didn't see that game, so I don't know exactly where he was when the game happened. But now you say we were tired. Who had the cramps? Who was on the ground? Liverpool players or Napoli players? After the 2-0 they looked fresher than us, after the 1-0 they looked fresher than us – that's normal. You have a boost. But there was no fresher team on the pitch. There was no physical problem apart from the normal physical problems in a game like this, which is very intense [because] both teams fight hard and all that stuff. It's not a physical problem tonight. We have to finish the situations off. How everybody in life, you need positive moments and you can run forever. We didn’t have really positive moments tonight. They obviously got the second air, so they could go again. That’s normal, but that was not the reason. "
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,916 posts | 281 
      Reply #374: Sep 18, 2019 12:11:24 am
      Decision really changed the game, but we should have scored at some point in the match. Bobbys header, Mane and Salah through 2v1, Mo capitalising on their defensive mistake were all huge chances. We didn’t test their keeper enough. Gave my MOTM to Trent as put in a great defensive display in the first half. Adrian has been a great signing, other than the error on his debut, has made some decent contributions in every game (even if has only kept 1 clean sheet).
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,454 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #375: Sep 18, 2019 12:11:34 am
      Didn't see the game but not only is that not a penalty, the guy should also have been booked for simulation (sorry, I mean cheating).

Can't win em' all.

Oh, and VAR is pathetic.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 316 posts | 80 
      Reply #376: Sep 18, 2019 01:19:30 am
      LFC looked to be playing for the tie from the very beginning.
      How many shots on net in first 45? 0?
      Are LFC mids instructed not to play any form of offensive football?
      The front 3 were wretched
      Can't remember one memorable Milner or Henderson highlight
      Ball control from the back line.......Fail
      Adrian was brilliant and kept LFC in the game despite the team's lack of ambition

I hate Italian football, Italian flopping, Italian fans. Sets back the sport decades. Though......very progressive of the team to suit up a midget

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,756 posts | 238 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #377: Sep 18, 2019 02:09:44 am
      On a different day we would of came out with a result, we controlled the play for some periods of the game but we didn't capitalise when we had it and once they got that weak pk took the stuffing right of us at the end of the game. I think you have to give little bit credit to Koulibaly who like last year really did a great job on Salah as it was a game plan to play quick long balls get him behind Mario Rui which worded at times but Koulibaly was there to cut it out. Also as some as mention the attacking trio was lacking the final ball as defenders either cut it out or passes were miss placed which they were all guiltily on doing. Give credit to Adrian as well who made a couple great saves to keep us in which you need because Napoli were always going to create chances.

My worry is with the type of intense game and conditions really took a lot our of the guys (looked like a lot of sweat in their kits). Need to reset quickly for what will be another tough fixture away to Chelsea who are going to be in the same position as us having played UCL and suffering a lost.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,392 posts | 376 
      Reply #378: Sep 18, 2019 02:34:28 am
      Most frustrating but also hugely encouraging thing, is with 20 to go, they looked absolutely shattered and we were getting stronger. Then of course the sh*te penalty changes everything. Even tho the result is worse, was far better than a year ago at their place. They’re a really tough side.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #379: Sep 18, 2019 04:35:42 am
      If you think this Napoli team is crap you’re out of your mind.

We were the better team in 2nd/3rd gear away from home and ran them ragged. They had nothing left until the ref gave them a little energy boost.

Minimal threat bar one or two moments.

The only way they get something from us at Anfield is by parking the bus. And even then...
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #380: Sep 18, 2019 05:26:41 am
      VVD, Matip, TAA and Fab were good.

The rest were pretty sh*t.

Thought Adrian was great personally
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #381: Sep 18, 2019 06:27:50 am
      Meh, can't win them all. This loss will only make us more hungry.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,951 posts | 217 
      Reply #382: Sep 18, 2019 06:47:39 am
      Better to lose  one game in the group stages were we will get out of than lose a league game, get the lose out of our system and go on a winning run again
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #383: Sep 18, 2019 07:24:02 am
      Said it before hendo and milner in midfield does not work
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,299 posts | 3868 
      Reply #384: Sep 18, 2019 08:04:00 am
      F***ing hate playing at that ground - not used to this losing lark
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #385: Sep 18, 2019 08:15:43 am
      Napoli are fast becoming our bogey team, but yesterday we deserved to win or at least draw. Our forwards had a bad night, the interplay and finishing were really off, but some credit for that has to go to the Napoli defence who were very good, as was ours.

The dive changed the game and someone needs to explain VAR to me, if a penalty is awarded for a dive how is that not a "clear and obvious error"?
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,272 posts | 1435 
      Reply #386: Sep 18, 2019 08:16:58 am
      F***ing hate playing at that ground - not used to this losing lark
      Hate playing Italian & Spanish sides mate,F***ing snide bas**rds always have been & always will be & VAR can F**k right off why have it when it’s not even used ? not to worry though a minor set back is all it was back to winning ways on Sunday against Chelsea.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #387: Sep 18, 2019 08:43:57 am
      Always was going to be difficult. We played much better there than last season but it still wasn't near enough. Overall though I can accept this defeat comfortably. We'll be fine I'm sure.

What none of us can accept though is hearing yet another supporters life endangered as a result of another attack by a group of ultra thugs. What with all that happened against Roma last year and then whwn you hear that Cagliari got away scot free yesterday for the incessant racist abuse that flowed from their stands a few weeks back you realise Italian football has some serious serious issues. You can only suppose that it is an institutional thing there with the police in on it as much as the animals that make up swathes of support in Italy. Bent bas**rds and utterly vile.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #388: Sep 18, 2019 08:54:20 am
      Our passing was atrocious last night. We either played the wrong ball or the right ball at the wrong speed. Maybe the crowd whistling had something to do with the concentration. Having said that I'm getting p*ssed off with VAR. What VAR does it stand for " Very Awful  Result"? On Saturday, against Newcastle,  a penalty that a blind man with a dead guide dog could see, wasn't given, and last night           a pen that wasn't, was allowed to stand because the VAR ref wouldn't, or couldn't,  disagree with the ref on the pitch. The bloody system wants binning.
      « Last Edit: Sep 18, 2019 10:01:33 am by Fourbrick »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #389: Sep 18, 2019 09:05:23 am
      Early days, plenty of time to make up for that loss. Probably score quite a few goals, in the remaining group games. No doubt finishing top of the group, after this early setback.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #390: Sep 18, 2019 09:14:55 am
      To be honest I am one of the few on here who thought Napoli deserved the win.

We had a few good chances here and there but our decision making wasn't the best and we got punished for that.

Napoli's back four were really impressive last night and our front 3 didn't click as they used to.

The good omen here is that last year we lost 1-0 and we won the CL, this year we lost 2-0, so does it mean we are going to win the PL and CL?  :blush:

Oh, and what is the point of VAR if it can't overrule a wrong decision?

Quick Reply