Voting closed: Sep 21, 2019 09:55:38 pm

Napoli 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29579 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Napoli 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Sep 18, 2019 09:15:11 am
      I have not seen the match yet so I cannot comment on the result.What I will say is we have plenty of time to turn the result around and still finish top of the group.Have faith and believe in OUR REDS.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #392: Sep 18, 2019 09:26:24 am
      Hopefully the team learns from that result. Need a mid with more penetration than the Milner-Henderson axis.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #393: Sep 18, 2019 09:39:57 am
      Hopefully the team learns from that result. Need a mid with more penetration than the Milner-Henderson axis.

I just think Milner is not up to it. He can play the odd game but he never looks good away from home against decent opposition.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #394: Sep 18, 2019 10:03:56 am
      I just think Milner is not up to it. He can play the odd game but he never looks good away from home against decent opposition.

2 banks of 5 at times.
      Needed a threat to draw them out, maybe Ox.

Dive for the penalty should have been overruled by VAR.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #395: Sep 18, 2019 10:43:52 am
      Played pretty well last night, we were on top, and looking good to nick a goal, then the ref and non var occurred. never a pen.

They will use that defeat as motivation to keep our run going in the league, and as its 1st game of group stages we can recover and still qualify. All good and all that stuff.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #396: Sep 18, 2019 11:19:00 am
      Played pretty well last night, we were on top, and looking good to nick a goal, then the ref and non var occurred. never a pen.

They will use that defeat as motivation to keep our run going in the league, and as its 1st game of group stages we can recover and still qualify. All good and all that stuff.

Agree with this.

Thought we controlled the game and a point would have been a good result.

Onwards we go, plenty of time to get out the group.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #397: Sep 18, 2019 11:24:37 am
      The sooner Keita is back in contention & Ox gets regular minutes then the more tactics like last night won’t work against LFC.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #398: Sep 18, 2019 11:25:50 am
      Thought Adrian was great personally

Kept them in the game up until the dive, VAR, incident.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,916 posts | 281 
      Reply #399: Sep 18, 2019 11:47:40 am
      I don’t get the digs at Hendo/Milner midfield combo. I don’t think it mattered who was in there, Ancelotti identified it as the area where we tend to dominate teams and avoided having the ball in the middle of the park at most times throughout the match. Whenever they played it out they were on the touch line on the halfway mark. When they lost their shape after the substitutions and started playing through the middle we completely dominated them before the refs howler. I hope we learn in the return leg at Anfield, we should just empty the midfield and play a 4-1-3-2
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #400: Sep 18, 2019 11:56:27 am
      Not too arsed, was always going to be a tough game as we saw last season. If Sadio manages to hit that simple square ball there's a good chance we would have went one up and managed to see the game out. Penalty decision was a bizarre one & was a shame Adrian never managed to keep it out after getting a hand to it.

Tell you what though, that Koulibaly is some player. Clocked him when we played last season and thought he was immense, he was top class again last night. He doesn't seem to have the flair or creativity of Van Dijk but defensively he's a class act

One a different note I hope the lad who was hospitalized makes a full recovery. Italian shithouses on mopeds again!
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,946 posts | 1353 
      Reply #401: Sep 18, 2019 12:21:09 pm
      The penalty was clearly a dive.If VAR can't see that then it's not fit for purpose. We were just about the better side on chances created. There will obviously be a lot of twists and turns during this campaign and it will be a challenge getting into the knockout stage but we are well up for it.

Nothing like getting cheated over a penalty to motivate. Should be an interesting group.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #402: Sep 18, 2019 12:26:47 pm
      Bad day in the office and lots of decisions going against us. Salah pulled back, Matip pulled back - no penalties. They dive and get one.

2 on1 when Mane mis-placed a very simple lay off. All other half chances. Just not our night. I don't think we performed badly, just the key moments going against us either through luck, poor refereeing or being wasteful in posession.

Result flattered them, take it on the chin, don't dwell too much and take it to the training ground...move on.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #403: Sep 18, 2019 01:19:34 pm
      We were unlucky with decisions, but we had our chances and did not take them.

Can't see the point in VAR if it did not see an obvious mistake in giving the penalty when the guy was already on the way down before any contact.

The result will not hopefully have a great bearing on the final outcome so heads up and on to the next game
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #404: Sep 18, 2019 01:25:44 pm

In Klopp's mind its still his best midfield pairing away from home, someone really needs to snap him out of that idea, its a major blind spot for him.  Having said that I thought Milner did ok yesterday, as did Hendo, it was really the front three squandering all their chances which was the issue more than the midfield.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #405: Sep 18, 2019 01:29:47 pm
      The penalty was clearly a dive.If VAR can't see that then it's not fit for purpose. We were just about the better side on chances created. There will obviously be a lot of twists and turns during this campaign and it will be a challenge getting into the knockout stage but we are well up for it.

Nothing like getting cheated over a penalty to motivate. Should be an interesting group.

??? A challenge to get into a knockout stages, based on what, us losing yesterday to a very good team away from home over a soft penalty decision when we were in complete control of the game?
      If we can't beat Salzburg and Genk home and away then I agree it will be tricky again but I simply can't see that happening. With a bit more focus and luck yesterday we would have won the match quite easily I think.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #406: Sep 18, 2019 01:36:28 pm
      Was heading for creditable 0-0 until the VAR intervened....let's just analyse this for a second...VAR...Video Assisted Referee..so in essence then ...footage of a particular incident by way of tv footage,  is available for a studio sat referee to look at and analyse whether or not said incident 'is what actually took place'

And what actually took place was that a Napoli player actually dived or was already on the way to the floor when challenging for the ball inside the penalty area with Robbo,

If that Studio Ref actually  looked at the actual footage he would have seen in the slowest motion possible what actually happened and not just assumed that the onfield was right and it was a actual clear cut in your face blatant stonewall penalty,

Or was he just looking out for his wee pal out there on the pitch , my suspicions are that that was what Actually happened,  and cheated lied just like the kunt who dived.

YNWA
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #407: Sep 18, 2019 01:39:07 pm
      In Klopp's mind its still his best midfield pairing away from home, someone really needs to snap him out of that idea, its a major blind spot for him.  Having said that I thought Milner did ok yesterday, as did Hendo, it was really the front three squandering all their chances which was the issue more than the midfield.

Yes this was my impression watching the game as well. It wasn't terrible, but wasn't brilliant from anyone either. We had moments of control over the game, and then in the 'wilder' periods it was our front three who just couldn't make enough of their chances to create opportunities. No one played that badly but we came up against a good team (with one exceptional defender in particular) who are well drilled and were putting their bodies on the line.

I can forgive the referee a little for the penalty, to my eye it didn't look great for us in real time. He's a human and he made a decision based on what he saw in the moment. What I don't quite understand is why VAR doesn't overrule it when it's obvious the guy has dived, that's what it's there for.

Out of all the games to lose right now this is the one that might matter least, providing it doesn't affect our league form and we go on to perform well in the rest of the CL group. As it is we've come out of a tough European away game against a very good opponent with a tightly contested loss - it hurts a bit because we've not had many of those, and so it should.

No doubt in my mind we'll bounce right back, starting with Chelsea on Sunday.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1464 
      Reply #408: Sep 18, 2019 01:39:35 pm
      If Napoli is so good, why aren't they European champions? It's not that they're good. It's because we gave them a chance.

Call me cocky but that's the truth.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #409: Sep 18, 2019 01:48:55 pm
      Thought I wouldn't be arsed if we didn't get the win, but now that its happened I actually am. 

We were complete sh*te there last year and lost 1-0 and tonight I don't think they were 2-0 better than us.

Not worried about us going through.  Don't think 15 points is beyond us.   Hope Salzburg turn these over twice.
      I'm the opposite; thought I'd be narked if we didn't get at least a point, but I'm okay afeter the defeat.

It should help prevent any complacency ahead of Sunday, and victories over Salzburg (h) and Genk twice (or next 3 games in CL), should put us in a strong position.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,827 posts | 701 
      Reply #410: Sep 18, 2019 03:58:46 pm
      Quote from heimdall
      A challenge to get into a knockout stages, based on what, us losing yesterday to a very good team away from home over a soft penalty decision when we were in complete control of the game?
      If we can't beat Salzburg and Genk home and away then I agree it will be tricky again but I simply can't see that happening. With a bit more focus and luck yesterday we would have won the match quite easily I think.

We have won 1 of our last 7 group games away from home, a 7-0 win. Going away to win in Europe, is not like going away to Bournemouth. These are teams that are used to winning games and getting results at their ground. They wouldn't be in this competition if they didn't.

We were warned last night, that Salzburg in particular are going to be a more awkward hurdle than expected. Especially if we have to go there needing a result on the last night. So there can't be any complacency on the road, like there was in Belgrade last year for example. Plus all these sides have extra motivation against us, given our current status. So we have to go out there and do a professional job. The fixture list in the group is not favourable, and we've started off having to make up ground. Hopefully it won't go down to needing a result in Salzburg, but atm, we may need it.

On first viewing, the penalty looked clearcut. With some replays it looks less so. However, there was contact. The VAR was asked if there was contact, and he said there was, so the decision stood. The second goal was more of a mistake by the defence in general. Robbo and VVD were both out of position, Robbo and Matip didn't track the forward's run nor make any attempt to stop him. It puts us 0-2 down against them on aggregate, and a lot of work to do if we're to beat them on the head to head in November. One mistake in the group is recoverable, any more and this group gets a lot more complicated than it looked when the draw was made.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #411: Sep 18, 2019 04:16:22 pm
      We have won 1 of our last 7 group games away from home, a 7-0 win. Going away to win in Europe, is not like going away to Bournemouth. These are teams that are used to winning games and getting results at their ground. They wouldn't be in this competition if they didn't.

We were warned last night, that Salzburg in particular are going to be a more awkward hurdle than expected. Especially if we have to go there needing a result on the last night. So there can't be any complacency on the road, like there was in Belgrade last year for example. Plus all these sides have extra motivation against us, given our current status. So we have to go out there and do a professional job. The fixture list in the group is not favourable, and we've started off having to make up ground. Hopefully it won't go down to needing a result in Salzburg, but atm, we may need it.

On first viewing, the penalty looked clearcut. With some replays it looks less so. However, there was contact. The VAR was asked if there was contact, and he said there was, so the decision stood. The second goal was more of a mistake by the defence in general. Robbo and VVD were both out of position, Robbo and Matip didn't track the forward's run nor make any attempt to stop him. It puts us 0-2 down against them on aggregate, and a lot of work to do if we're to beat them on the head to head in November. One mistake in the group is recoverable, any more and this group gets a lot more complicated than it looked when the draw was made.

Still Mr positive I see 😁
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #412: Sep 18, 2019 04:36:10 pm

We will win all of our home games, and win at least 1 away game, thats 12 points. Plenty to go through.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #413: Sep 18, 2019 04:42:11 pm
      We have been decent until the 1st half.

VAR is useless if not used.

We need to bounce back to beat the Blueshit.

MOTM for me was Trent, he covered all for his teammates.

Quick Reply