Trending Topics

Next match: Genk v LFC [Champions League] Wed 23rd Oct @ 8:00 pm
      Luminus Arena

Today is the 20th of October and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W8 D8 L9

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Adrián
      32 (44.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      4 (5.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.4%)
      Joel Matip
      7 (9.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.8%)
       Fabinho
      24 (33.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: Sep 21, 2019 09:55:38 pm

Napoli 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 2975 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts | 16 
      Re: Napoli 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #400: Sep 18, 2019 11:56:27 am
      Not too arsed, was always going to be a tough game as we saw last season. If Sadio manages to hit that simple square ball there's a good chance we would have went one up and managed to see the game out. Penalty decision was a bizarre one & was a shame Adrian never managed to keep it out after getting a hand to it.

Tell you what though, that Koulibaly is some player. Clocked him when we played last season and thought he was immense, he was top class again last night. He doesn't seem to have the flair or creativity of Van Dijk but defensively he's a class act

One a different note I hope the lad who was hospitalized makes a full recovery. Italian shithouses on mopeds again!
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,115 posts | 416 
      Reply #401: Sep 18, 2019 12:21:09 pm
      The penalty was clearly a dive.If VAR can't see that then it's not fit for purpose. We were just about the better side on chances created. There will obviously be a lot of twists and turns during this campaign and it will be a challenge getting into the knockout stage but we are well up for it.

Nothing like getting cheated over a penalty to motivate. Should be an interesting group.
      ozi_wozzy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,468 posts | 255 
      Reply #402: Sep 18, 2019 12:26:47 pm
      Bad day in the office and lots of decisions going against us. Salah pulled back, Matip pulled back - no penalties. They dive and get one.

2 on1 when Mane mis-placed a very simple lay off. All other half chances. Just not our night. I don't think we performed badly, just the key moments going against us either through luck, poor refereeing or being wasteful in posession.

Result flattered them, take it on the chin, don't dwell too much and take it to the training ground...move on.
      Mickred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 341 posts | 46 
      Reply #403: Sep 18, 2019 01:19:34 pm
      We were unlucky with decisions, but we had our chances and did not take them.

Can't see the point in VAR if it did not see an obvious mistake in giving the penalty when the guy was already on the way down before any contact.

The result will not hopefully have a great bearing on the final outcome so heads up and on to the next game
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,421 posts | 2052 
      Reply #404: Sep 18, 2019 01:25:44 pm
      Hopefully the team learns from that result. Need a mid with more penetration than the Milner-Henderson axis.

In Klopp's mind its still his best midfield pairing away from home, someone really needs to snap him out of that idea, its a major blind spot for him.  Having said that I thought Milner did ok yesterday, as did Hendo, it was really the front three squandering all their chances which was the issue more than the midfield.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,421 posts | 2052 
      Reply #405: Sep 18, 2019 01:29:47 pm
      The penalty was clearly a dive.If VAR can't see that then it's not fit for purpose. We were just about the better side on chances created. There will obviously be a lot of twists and turns during this campaign and it will be a challenge getting into the knockout stage but we are well up for it.

Nothing like getting cheated over a penalty to motivate. Should be an interesting group.

??? A challenge to get into a knockout stages, based on what, us losing yesterday to a very good team away from home over a soft penalty decision when we were in complete control of the game?
      If we can't beat Salzburg and Genk home and away then I agree it will be tricky again but I simply can't see that happening. With a bit more focus and luck yesterday we would have won the match quite easily I think.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,365 posts | 1977 
      • From Doubters to Believers
      Reply #406: Sep 18, 2019 01:36:28 pm
      Was heading for creditable 0-0 until the VAR intervened....let's just analyse this for a second...VAR...Video Assisted Referee..so in essence then ...footage of a particular incident by way of tv footage,  is available for a studio sat referee to look at and analyse whether or not said incident 'is what actually took place'

And what actually took place was that a Napoli player actually dived or was already on the way to the floor when challenging for the ball inside the penalty area with Robbo,

If that Studio Ref actually  looked at the actual footage he would have seen in the slowest motion possible what actually happened and not just assumed that the onfield was right and it was a actual clear cut in your face blatant stonewall penalty,

Or was he just looking out for his wee pal out there on the pitch , my suspicions are that that was what Actually happened,  and cheated lied just like the kunt who dived.

YNWA
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,042 posts | 355 
      Reply #407: Sep 18, 2019 01:39:07 pm
      In Klopp's mind its still his best midfield pairing away from home, someone really needs to snap him out of that idea, its a major blind spot for him.  Having said that I thought Milner did ok yesterday, as did Hendo, it was really the front three squandering all their chances which was the issue more than the midfield.

Yes this was my impression watching the game as well. It wasn't terrible, but wasn't brilliant from anyone either. We had moments of control over the game, and then in the 'wilder' periods it was our front three who just couldn't make enough of their chances to create opportunities. No one played that badly but we came up against a good team (with one exceptional defender in particular) who are well drilled and were putting their bodies on the line.

I can forgive the referee a little for the penalty, to my eye it didn't look great for us in real time. He's a human and he made a decision based on what he saw in the moment. What I don't quite understand is why VAR doesn't overrule it when it's obvious the guy has dived, that's what it's there for.

Out of all the games to lose right now this is the one that might matter least, providing it doesn't affect our league form and we go on to perform well in the rest of the CL group. As it is we've come out of a tough European away game against a very good opponent with a tightly contested loss - it hurts a bit because we've not had many of those, and so it should.

No doubt in my mind we'll bounce right back, starting with Chelsea on Sunday.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,084 posts | 466 
      Reply #408: Sep 18, 2019 01:39:35 pm
      If Napoli is so good, why aren't they European champions? It's not that they're good. It's because we gave them a chance.

Call me cocky but that's the truth.
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 523 posts | 158 
      Reply #409: Sep 18, 2019 01:48:55 pm
      Thought I wouldn't be arsed if we didn't get the win, but now that its happened I actually am. 

We were complete sh*te there last year and lost 1-0 and tonight I don't think they were 2-0 better than us.

Not worried about us going through.  Don't think 15 points is beyond us.   Hope Salzburg turn these over twice.
      I'm the opposite; thought I'd be narked if we didn't get at least a point, but I'm okay afeter the defeat.

It should help prevent any complacency ahead of Sunday, and victories over Salzburg (h) and Genk twice (or next 3 games in CL), should put us in a strong position.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,619 posts | 503 
      Reply #410: Sep 18, 2019 03:58:46 pm
      Quote from heimdall
      A challenge to get into a knockout stages, based on what, us losing yesterday to a very good team away from home over a soft penalty decision when we were in complete control of the game?
      If we can't beat Salzburg and Genk home and away then I agree it will be tricky again but I simply can't see that happening. With a bit more focus and luck yesterday we would have won the match quite easily I think.

We have won 1 of our last 7 group games away from home, a 7-0 win. Going away to win in Europe, is not like going away to Bournemouth. These are teams that are used to winning games and getting results at their ground. They wouldn't be in this competition if they didn't.

We were warned last night, that Salzburg in particular are going to be a more awkward hurdle than expected. Especially if we have to go there needing a result on the last night. So there can't be any complacency on the road, like there was in Belgrade last year for example. Plus all these sides have extra motivation against us, given our current status. So we have to go out there and do a professional job. The fixture list in the group is not favourable, and we've started off having to make up ground. Hopefully it won't go down to needing a result in Salzburg, but atm, we may need it.

On first viewing, the penalty looked clearcut. With some replays it looks less so. However, there was contact. The VAR was asked if there was contact, and he said there was, so the decision stood. The second goal was more of a mistake by the defence in general. Robbo and VVD were both out of position, Robbo and Matip didn't track the forward's run nor make any attempt to stop him. It puts us 0-2 down against them on aggregate, and a lot of work to do if we're to beat them on the head to head in November. One mistake in the group is recoverable, any more and this group gets a lot more complicated than it looked when the draw was made.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,421 posts | 2052 
      Reply #411: Sep 18, 2019 04:16:22 pm
      We have won 1 of our last 7 group games away from home, a 7-0 win. Going away to win in Europe, is not like going away to Bournemouth. These are teams that are used to winning games and getting results at their ground. They wouldn't be in this competition if they didn't.

We were warned last night, that Salzburg in particular are going to be a more awkward hurdle than expected. Especially if we have to go there needing a result on the last night. So there can't be any complacency on the road, like there was in Belgrade last year for example. Plus all these sides have extra motivation against us, given our current status. So we have to go out there and do a professional job. The fixture list in the group is not favourable, and we've started off having to make up ground. Hopefully it won't go down to needing a result in Salzburg, but atm, we may need it.

On first viewing, the penalty looked clearcut. With some replays it looks less so. However, there was contact. The VAR was asked if there was contact, and he said there was, so the decision stood. The second goal was more of a mistake by the defence in general. Robbo and VVD were both out of position, Robbo and Matip didn't track the forward's run nor make any attempt to stop him. It puts us 0-2 down against them on aggregate, and a lot of work to do if we're to beat them on the head to head in November. One mistake in the group is recoverable, any more and this group gets a lot more complicated than it looked when the draw was made.

Still Mr positive I see 😁
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,124 posts | 271 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #412: Sep 18, 2019 04:36:10 pm

We will win all of our home games, and win at least 1 away game, thats 12 points. Plenty to go through.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 8,974 posts | 2056 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #413: Sep 18, 2019 04:42:11 pm
      We have been decent until the 1st half.

VAR is useless if not used.

We need to bounce back to beat the Blueshit.

MOTM for me was Trent, he covered all for his teammates.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,543 posts | 379 
      Reply #414: Sep 18, 2019 04:57:11 pm
      If Napoli is so good, why aren't they European champions? It's not that they're good. It's because we gave them a chance.

Call me cocky but that's the truth.

So there's only 1 good team in the CL every year? FFS
      LFC007
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #415: Sep 18, 2019 05:38:59 pm
      In Klopp's mind its still his best midfield pairing away from home, someone really needs to snap him out of that idea, its a major blind spot for him. 

Your Argument rests on the premise that Klopp doesn't see the obvious. What are the odds? I think you misjudge the value of a "boring" - but defensive stable - midfield in comparison to a fancy one that lacks discipline and defensive attention.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,810 posts | 114 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #416: Sep 18, 2019 05:51:41 pm
      We were poor for our usual standards, but they were f**king gash. If Mane doesn't overhit that 2 on 1 situation and we get the first goal, im fairly confident we end up carving them on the counter for a good 0-2 or 0-3. As is stands, that didn't happen, they got a fairly questionable pen and then VVD had somewhat of a brain fart, so the score reads 2-0. It happens. Replay this game and we should win it more often than not. Away from home, too. So all in all I am not terribly concerned. It's not like we got played out of the park.

Personally I felt like it was evident that we sorely need the influence of either Keita or the Ox, especially when our front 3 isn't clicking as usual.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,619 posts | 503 
      Reply #417: Sep 18, 2019 08:09:41 pm
      Quote from brezipool
      We will win all of our home games, and win at least 1 away game, thats 12 points. Plenty to go through.

With 10 minutes left last night, we thought we would get a good result. It's all very well saying we will beat them, but they still have to be won. I believe we will make it, but there's still a lot of work to do to get there.
      saille29
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 56 
      Reply #418: Sep 18, 2019 08:44:40 pm
      Wrong place but, VAR ! PSG v Real, Bale scores a great goal but it touched his arm enter VAR ref looks at the pitch side screen, no goal WTF, so that's clear and obvious
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 682 posts | 65 
      Reply #419: Sep 18, 2019 09:54:28 pm

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,784 posts | 3370 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #420: Sep 19, 2019 02:45:14 am
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,784 posts | 3370 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #421: Sep 19, 2019 02:49:42 am
      Not fussed about yesterday, Don't get me wrong, I hate losing, it feels weird and I'm not used to it all.

Having said that, we didn't deserve to be on the end of that scoreline. We played well for lots of the game, just didn't convert our 3/4 chances we got.

They on the other hand, get a late penalty that for the life of me, I still can't understand why and why it didn't go to the VAR and then concede a sloppy second trying to chase the draw. Robbo and Adrian had time to get to that ball but inexplicably decided to wait for each other.

Look out Chelsea we coming to you, to get the Napoli game out of our system!

heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,421 posts | 2052 
      Reply #422: Sep 19, 2019 08:14:58 am
      Wrong place but, VAR ! PSG v Real, Bale scores a great goal but it touched his arm enter VAR ref looks at the pitch side screen, no goal WTF, so that's clear and obvious

Yes apparently a ball ever so slightly brushing an arm is a clear and obvious error but a player diving isn't. It is absurdly inconsistent. I think the distinction here is that the ref has to be 100% completely wrong in awarding a penalty for it to be overturned, ie it would have to be a Harry Kane type of dive with zero contact from the defender. I think that is wrong use of the technology, I think in the case of penalties VAR has to take precedence over the on field ref with him having a look at his screen if there is any doubt at all about his decision as penalties are so important in altering the course of a game, as we saw.
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,124 posts | 271 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #423: Sep 19, 2019 10:21:42 am
      Yes apparently a ball ever so slightly brushing an arm is a clear and obvious error but a player diving isn't. It is absurdly inconsistent. I think the distinction here is that the ref has to be 100% completely wrong in awarding a penalty for it to be overturned, ie it would have to be a Harry Kane type of dive with zero contact from the defender. I think that is wrong use of the technology, I think in the case of penalties VAR has to take precedence over the on field ref with him having a look at his screen if there is any doubt at all about his decision as penalties are so important in altering the course of a game, as we saw.

Completely agree re. VAR.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,115 posts | 416 
      Reply #424: Sep 19, 2019 01:22:00 pm
      ??? A challenge to get into a knockout stages, based on what, us losing yesterday to a very good team away from home over a soft penalty decision when we were in complete control of the game?

I said we were the better side but losing does put pressure on. Given the pressure to maintain our league form with all the obvious problems that might occure I think it's not unreasonable to suggest getting into the C/L knockout stage will present problems.I also said we can overcome these challengers and qualify.

Quick Reply