Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Adrián
      20 (19%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      15 (14.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (2.9%)
      Joel Matip
      39 (37.1%)
      Andy Robertson
      9 (8.6%)
       Fabinho
      7 (6.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (5.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (5.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Voting closed: Sep 26, 2019 06:24:23 pm

Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25988 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Sep 23, 2019 04:50:45 am
      If Batshuayi or Mount scored from their chances late on, i wonder if Matip would still get MOTM. He played well but at least three occasions where he switched off completely to let them in. The Abraham chance in the first half that Adrian saved was Abraham peeling off Matip, too.

I had to give it to Adrian. Thought he was faultless yet again.

Hendo was great, Mo was rubbish, VDD was solid and Gini was useless yet again.

Genuinely not too many stand outs for us and we still won away at Chelsea. This side is the bollocks.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #369: Sep 23, 2019 06:18:42 am
      Adrain was brilliant yesterday.

Very assured goalkeeper he is becoming for us and much more reliable than the man he replaced.

Am happy for him and also baffled that West Ham let him go on a free.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #370: Sep 23, 2019 08:05:41 am
      Adrain was brilliant yesterday.

Very assured goalkeeper he is becoming for us and much more reliable than the man he replaced.

Am happy for him and also baffled that West Ham let him go on a free.
      Must admit I was fairly worried about him stepping in for Alison,he has given us a few hairy moments but overall he has been fantastic between the sticks.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #371: Sep 23, 2019 08:20:52 am
      Superb win. End off.

6 wins from 6. class.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #372: Sep 23, 2019 08:38:39 am
      I think 10-11 changes for that one is a very good possibility. The problem with that is who would play the two fullback positions.

I hope to see a few 1st teamers in there, possibly Mo to see if he can find his dribbling and shooting boots again, he's been a bit poor recently.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #373: Sep 23, 2019 08:44:55 am
      I hope to see a few 1st teamers in there, possibly Mo to see if he can find his dribbling and shooting boots again, he's been a bit poor recently.

We absolutely don't need to play Mo or any other first teamer on Wednesday. Such a waste of resources. Give it to the kids.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #374: Sep 23, 2019 09:19:39 am
      We absolutely don't need to play Mo or any other first teamer on Wednesday. Such a waste of resources. Give it to the kids.

Do we have 3 reserve strikers? In any case if it is to regain some form then why not play Mo for a half, he was very poor yesterday, terrible touches.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #375: Sep 23, 2019 09:22:04 am

I kind of agree with this - might do Salah some good
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #376: Sep 23, 2019 09:38:58 am
      Do we have 3 reserve strikers? In any case if it is to regain some form then why not play Mo for a half, he was very poor yesterday, terrible touches.

His touch let him down 2nd half but I thought he played well in the first half. I think the rest is more important than anything else, these lads have put in some serious running with 3 games in the last week and yesterday was about as tough as it gets.

Salah, Bobby and Mane (if fit) can be on the bench in case all goes awry or be in position to come on for last 15-20 if all is going well.

skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #377: Sep 23, 2019 10:58:46 am
      Though the front 3 were all poor offensively, yesterday.  Were good in the press, but as soon as we had possession, struggled to string passes together.  Salah looked like he had springs on his shins the way the ball kept getting away from him.  Mane was shut down by 2 players every time the ball went anywhere near him, & Firmino was much less influential than he's been in recent weeks, despite the goal. 

We certainly dodged a bullet yesterday, as Chelsea were worthy of least a draw IMO.
      After not getting the 3rd goal early in the second half, when we had 3 good chances in quick succession, it always looked like being a tough finish to the match.

If we defend like that against City, we will get put to the sword, as they won't blow the chances Chelsea had.

A great result on a ground where we aren't historically great.  We can now field youngsters & 2nd stringers Wednesday and hopefully recharge the batteries before the early KO on Saturday.  A must win game before a tricky set of fixtures.  Leicester, Utd & Spurs are all games where City will hope we can drop points.

A big month or so ahead before we entertain City in the crunch match.

COYR!!!

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #378: Sep 23, 2019 11:11:58 am
      Though the front 3 were all poor offensively, yesterday.  Were good in the press, but as soon as we had possession, struggled to string passes together.  Salah looked like he had springs on his shins the way the ball kept getting away from him.  Mane was shut down by 2 players every time the ball went anywhere near him, & Firmino was much less influential than he's been in recent weeks, despite the goal. 

We certainly dodged a bullet yesterday, as Chelsea were worthy of least a draw IMO.
      After not getting the 3rd goal early in the second half, when we had 3 good chances in quick succession, it always looked like being a tough finish to the match.

If we defend like that against City, we will get put to the sword, as they won't blow the chances Chelsea had.

A great result on a ground where we aren't historically great.  We can now field youngsters & 2nd stringers Wednesday and hopefully recharge the batteries before the early KO on Saturday.  A must win game before a tricky set of fixtures.  Leicester, Utd & Spurs are all games where City will hope we can drop points.

A big month or so ahead before we entertain City in the crunch match.

COYR!!!

the 2nd string are not bad btw.

Lovren, Gomez, The ox, Shaq, Lallana, brewster will all start.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #379: Sep 23, 2019 11:13:32 am
      Gave my MOTM to Adrian.  If Mignolet had been in goal the last 6 games we wouldn't be on 18 points.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #380: Sep 23, 2019 11:36:24 am
      Gave my MOTM to Adrian.  If Mignolet had been in goal the last 6 games we wouldn't be on 18 points.

Feel the same way.
      Adrian has been massive for LFC in not having the loss of Alisson impact on points scored.
      He's been immense at keeping the team in the game under pressure.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #381: Sep 23, 2019 12:48:26 pm

If Origi is available, he, Brewster and Shaq should be the front 3. We just played 3 games in 7 days including that tiring game in Napoli, so we should be rotation the squad as much as possible, but particularly up front.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #382: Sep 23, 2019 12:51:32 pm
      If Batshuayi or Mount scored from their chances late on, i wonder if Matip would still get MOTM. He played well but at least three occasions where he switched off completely to let them in. The Abraham chance in the first half that Adrian saved was Abraham peeling off Matip, too.

Think the fault there was TAA. He was the one who played Abraham onside after the other 3 had stepped up, so Matip was in the right and expected him to be offside.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #383: Sep 23, 2019 12:54:54 pm
      Well get the f**k in....Love beating those Cu*ts anytime so regardless of the way we played, especially in that 2nd half, we got what we went there for and that was 3 points. Well done lads.

What I didn't understand was when Alonso came on for them. He killed us down that LH side, kept putting in cross after cross, making life very difficult for us. Why didn't Klopp block that off? Was shouting at him, way before he brought Gomez on to get Gomez on and protect that side of the pitch.

Life would have been so much easier during that 2nd half if we had a cut that avenue of attack for them, out.

Klopp knows best obviously but FFS Jürgen, take it easy on our hearts Boss!

6 out of 6.

32 to go!!!

He certainly gave us problems, but we created some ourselves.

We had TAA bombing forward at every opportunity even though we were already leading 2-0, and often we were then caught out on the counter with the diagonal ball. Would have been simpler for him to hold back and focus on the defence.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #384: Sep 23, 2019 01:24:56 pm

Rob Jones defending, TAA attacking

Best I can do, sorry ;)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #385: Sep 23, 2019 02:01:31 pm
      If Origi is available, he, Brewster and Shaq should be the front 3. We just played 3 games in 7 days including that tiring game in Napoli, so we should be rotation the squad as much as possible, but particularly up front.

And those getting a rest Wednesday will play 3 more in 7 days beginning Saturday. The day off is worth more than any in-match dribbling practice.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #386: Sep 23, 2019 02:07:23 pm
      Hoever right back and maybe Milner left back?

Maybe. If Joe and Lovren come in at center back (Virg can stand a break now and then too!), Then I guess those are the remaining options at outside back. Hoever is inconsistent with the U23s as you might expect for a 17-year old.  You could switch those right and left as well, as Hoever played well on the left vs Lyon.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #387: Sep 23, 2019 02:07:52 pm
      And those getting a rest Wednesday will play 3 more in 7 days beginning Saturday. The day off is worth more than any in-match dribbling practice.

I reckon he'll rotate the forwards a bit but still play one of the regular forwards each half, defence and midfield can be easily shuffled though.
      I'm going to the game so hope to a good performance and a solid convincing win, with the fringe players really trying to prove themselves.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #388: Sep 23, 2019 02:08:12 pm

No idea what the problem is.

Salah was up against an opponent yesterday who could match him for speed.
      Nothing to do with his dribbling.
      Tomori (sp?) also had very quick feet when deling with Salah's tricks, often getting a toe in or a little touch.
      He played Salah one one one, as well as I've seen anyone do it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #389: Sep 23, 2019 02:10:46 pm
      No idea what the problem is.

Salah was up against an opponent yesterday who could match him for speed.
      Nothing to do with his dribbling.
      Tomori (sp?) also had very quick feet when deling with Salah's tricks, often getting a toe in or a little touch.
      He played Salah one one one, as well as I've seen anyone do it.

Oh so all you need to do to negate one of the best strikers in the world is to have a fast player, who knew!! and there was me thinking it was down to Salah making wrong choices, trying to dribble through every player rather than pass and move and having a terrible touch, by his standards, which led to a poor performance.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #390: Sep 23, 2019 02:18:12 pm
      Oh so all you need to do to negate one of the best strikers in the world is to have a fast player, who knew!! and there was me thinking it was down to Salah making wrong choices, trying to dribble through every player rather than pass and move and having a terrible touch, by his standards, which led to a poor performance.

I feel confident Salah is still a reasonably good player for us.

Quick Reply