Trending Topics

Next match: Genk v LFC [Champions League] Wed 23rd Oct @ 8:00 pm
      Luminus Arena

Today is the 20th of October and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W8 D8 L9

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v MK Dons?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      4 (5.5%)
      Ki-Jana Hoever
      3 (4.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      4 (5.5%)
      James Milner
      31 (42.5%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (1.4%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (1.4%)
      Curtis Jones
      10 (13.7%)
      Harvey Elliott
      18 (24.7%)
      Rhian Brewster
      0 (0%)
      Herbie Kane
      0 (0%)
      Pedro Chirivella
      0 (0%)
      Sepp  van den Berg
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: Sep 29, 2019 09:35:45 pm

MK Dons 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 1706 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,984 posts | 823 
      • YNWA
      Re: MK Dons 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #100: Sep 25, 2019 10:59:02 pm
      Made it thro to the 4th round - woowho !!!
      Was impressed by Elliot, quick, sharp passing, hit woodwork twice, the pick of the kids imho.
      Dejan with a few ropey moments in the 1st half, but Gomez and Milner looked on their game.
      AOC did well enough, Lallana kept things moving - good chance for them to get some playing time.
      Rest of the kids did well too, passed it around well.
      Play em all again in the next round ...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,370 posts | 3399 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #101: Sep 26, 2019 12:42:20 am
      Ay folks. Sleep well in the knowledge that if VVD gets injured then slipping in at LCB is our mate, Degsy.

Christ.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,032 posts | 897 
      Reply #102: Sep 26, 2019 12:43:22 am
      Watching the replay now. Seemed reasonably in control for most of the way.

Keita was rusty but you can see his quality. Here's to more of him going forward. Stay healthy Naby!

Elliott and Jones stood out among the kids. Oh and Kelleher totally got away with handling outside the area.

We get Arsenal and United play Chelsea. EFL rigging the draw?
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,343 posts | 386 
      Reply #103: Sep 26, 2019 05:56:44 am
      Even our 3rd choice GK is a good one. A few years ago, we'd laugh off at this thought. :laugh:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 40,080 posts | 3903 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #104: Sep 26, 2019 07:41:15 am
      Comfortable and routine win, don’t think we stepped out of 2nd gear. Kids impressed, well apart from Brewster; think this was a good chance for him but he was very rarely involved in anything, needs to improve his movement and use of the ball.

Lovren showed that even with a youthful side he will stick out like a sore thumb as the weak link. Lallana and Ox weren’t particularly good either.

Good to progress out of the 3rd round! Not bothered about having Arsenal next, just means it’s one less team from the top 6 that we have to face later on.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,417 posts | 1824 
      Reply #105: Sep 26, 2019 09:32:26 am
      I have just watched the match and I was very impressed with young Elliott,with a bit of luck he could of had 3 goals.Well done to our young REDS and the old feller Jimmy Milner.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,420 posts | 2052 
      Reply #106: Sep 26, 2019 09:33:03 am
      I was at the game, stood behind the goal and enjoyed it, I thought we were rock solid in defence in the first half, apart from the one slip up which gifted them a good chance, the ball flying over the bar and hitting some poor kid stood next to me. Joe Gomez in particular really impressed me, wow that lad is quick and mops up any potential danger. Other than that we seemed to have ok'ish movement up front without anything to special or wow.
      Second half I got a better look at our attack and there were some nice touches, especially from Harvey Elliott, but they all seemed a bit to tentative and nervous to really have a go at goal, perhaps a case of over coaching and over thinking the situation. It was worrying how many chances MK Dons were creating at the other end so I'm not sure what happened there between first and second half.
      The rest of the players were ok, Lallana played a good anchor role, Ox with a few nice touches same with Keita, I also thought our goalkeeper looked very good.

All in all I came away from it thinking we have some quite talented kids but no one really mind blowingly good, Brewster and Elliott were good in patches but I now see why Klopp doesn't play Brewster, he is no where near ready for first team football, nor is Elliott.
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,124 posts | 271 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #107: Sep 26, 2019 09:59:00 am
      Brilliant win, over the moon for the young lads, and great seeing the guys getting back to full fitness who have been out with Injuries.

I really enjoyed watching Lallana playing the holding role.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,420 posts | 2052 
      Reply #108: Sep 26, 2019 10:42:31 am
      Brilliant win, over the moon for the young lads, and great seeing the guys getting back to full fitness who have been out with Injuries.

I really enjoyed watching Lallana playing the holding role.

It was a comfortable competent win, although MK Dons could easily have drawn or beaten us given the chances they created 2nd half, I'm not exactly sure what was "brilliant" about it though?
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 523 posts | 158 
      Reply #109: Sep 26, 2019 10:58:34 am
      Brewster and Elliott were good in patches but I now see why Klopp doesn't play Brewster, he is no where near ready for first team football, nor is Elliott.
      Agree with Brewster, who was barely in the game, but Elliott was very good. 

Beat his man on several occasions, passed well, especially the sublime ball to Milner who missed a sitter of a header.  Got into goal-scoring positions and wan't afraid to shoot, even with his weaker foot, twice hitting the woodwork.

Strange conclusion!

Anyway, I though it was a decent performance given that most of those guys don't play together regularly.  Though Ox & Lallana struggled to impress.  Keita looked pretty fit and showed for the ball a lot, but took too many safe options when he could have tried running at the opposition, as others have alluded to.

Thought Jones was very tidy with the ball also; him and Elliott look to have a lot of potential.

Bring on the Gooners!
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,420 posts | 2052 
      Reply #110: Sep 26, 2019 01:05:24 pm

Beat his man on several occasions, passed well, especially the sublime ball to Milner who missed a sitter of a header.  Got into goal-scoring positions and wan't afraid to shoot, even with his weaker foot, twice hitting the woodwork.

Strange conclusion!

Anyway, I though it was a decent performance given that most of those guys don't play together regularly.  Though Ox & Lallana struggled to impress.  Keita looked pretty fit and showed for the ball a lot, but took too many safe options when he could have tried running at the opposition, as others have alluded to.

Thought Jones was very tidy with the ball also; him and Elliott look to have a lot of potential.

Bring on the Gooners!

Don't all these youngsters play in the U23's, I would have thought the interplay between them would be pretty slick but there was a lot of misplaced passes yesterday. I always feel that the second string team try to play to technical, emulating the first team but without the skills or understanding. I'm not sure if that is a directive form the coaches or they are trying to copy the big boys.
      BTW I have said that Elliott was the most impressive but I still don't think he's quite ready for first team football, a lot of potential though, an exciting player and next season I can really see him bursting through.
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,124 posts | 271 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #111: Sep 26, 2019 01:24:29 pm
      It was a comfortable competent win, although MK Dons could easily have drawn or beaten us given the chances they created 2nd half, I'm not exactly sure what was "brilliant" about it though?

Yes, they did have chances, most teams at any level will create chances.

The brilliant part is the win, and the use of the squad, and blooding the younglings. ;-)
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,124 posts | 271 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #112: Sep 26, 2019 01:26:12 pm

Strange conclusion!

Bring on the Gooners!

The ox was ok, got better 2nd half. Lallana was fab in the holding role. Nothing too fancy just did the job.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,420 posts | 2052 
      Reply #113: Sep 26, 2019 01:35:34 pm
      Yes, they did have chances, most teams at any level will create chances.

The brilliant part is the win, and the use of the squad, and blooding the younglings. ;-)

ah ok, fair enough, I prefer to reserve words like brilliant for our home matches against Barcelona ;-)
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,513 posts | 452 
      Reply #114: Sep 26, 2019 01:47:32 pm
      ah ok, fair enough, I prefer to reserve words like brilliant for our home matches against Barcelona ;-)
      I don’t think you’ll be using that word very much in the future then.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,420 posts | 2052 
      Reply #115: Sep 26, 2019 02:11:36 pm
      I don’t think you’ll be using that word very much in the future then.

why is that? Do you not expect us to win in exciting fashion again, what a pessimist!
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,513 posts | 452 
      Reply #116: Sep 26, 2019 02:18:55 pm
      why is that? Do you not expect us to win in exciting fashion again, what a pessimist!
      Realist*

I see every Liverpool win as brilliant, unlike yourself. I’m not reserving it for the next time we overturn a 3-0 score line against a team like Barcelona.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,420 posts | 2052 
      Reply #117: Sep 26, 2019 02:42:51 pm
      Realist*

I see every Liverpool win as brilliant, unlike yourself. I’m not reserving it for the next time we overturn a 3-0 score line against a team like Barcelona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knYOcaQ-x5o
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,194 posts | 3687 
      Reply #118: Sep 26, 2019 06:41:45 pm
      Play the kids against Arsenal on front of a full house Anfield and they'll smash that cockney sh*te.

Curtis Jones, Elliot and Hoever were excellent.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 8,974 posts | 2056 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #119: Sep 26, 2019 07:16:42 pm
      Play the kids against Arsenal on front of a full house Anfield and they'll smash that cockney sh*te.

Curtis Jones, Elliot and Hoever were excellent.

A good mixture like yesterday but won't use the usual starting XI. I But I would bench some of them so if things are not going up the plan, we could change.
      adammac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,818 posts | 69 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #120: Sep 26, 2019 08:24:30 pm
      I thought it was a decent enough performance from the second string, controlled the game very well and oddly enough were able to keep a clean sheet for once. It is good to see the likes of Lovren, Gomez, Ox and Ketia gets some minutes under their belt because as the season roles on they will be relied upon more to come up.

I was impressed with Elliot on the flank, I thought he was a threat and it was a shame he couldn't convert on couple those chances (same with Brewster who had a few golden chances to get him first goal). Like last season FA Cup showing wasn't impressed with Jones (not writing him off as a player but he didn't offer much). I figured Ox would of been more of a influence but nothing was really going off for him and I though Lallana did a decent enough job in the middle of the park.

Main thing is we got on to the next round, Arsenal at Anfield should be a good tie, expect us to play a couple more senior players (hope Origi and Shaqiri are fit)and make a go it.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,420 posts | 2052 
      Reply #121: Sep 26, 2019 08:45:22 pm
      I've now watched the match back on TV and think I can see the confusion, basically most of the good attacking play was first half which I didn't really see.
      I wonder why there was such a drop off in the second half though, defence and attack.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,784 posts | 3370 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #122: Sep 27, 2019 12:39:20 am
      On to the 4th Round. Yes......hope he gives the kids a shot at home to Arsenal. Apart from a 10 minute spell, where we were under the pump, we controlled that match and should have easily won by more, if it wasn't for that damn woodwork.

Really impressed with Harvey, Hoever and Jones. My MOTM though went to the warhorse Jimmy Milner. What a signing he has turned out to be. Hope he gets to lift The League Cup as Captain, this season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,032 posts | 897 
      Reply #123: Sep 27, 2019 03:37:53 am
      A good mixture like yesterday but won't use the usual starting XI. I But I would bench some of them so if things are not going up the plan, we could change.

Interestingly, if Shaq and Origi had been fit, they would have started and Elliott and Jones, probably the most effective kids Wednesday, wouldn't have been on from the start.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 8,974 posts | 2056 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #124: Sep 27, 2019 05:58:00 pm
      Interestingly, if Shaq and Origi had been fit, they would have started and Elliott and Jones, probably the most effective kids Wednesday, wouldn't have been on from the start.

That would be a shame but we need Shaqir and Origi for Arsenal with some kids too.

Quick Reply