Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sheff Utd?

Adrián
      7 (8.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      26 (30.6%)
      Joel Matip
      9 (10.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (5.9%)
       Fabinho
      19 (22.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      13 (15.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      4 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: Oct 02, 2019 02:22:34 pm

Sheffield United 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29394 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Re: Sheffield United 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Sep 28, 2019 02:33:15 pm
      Don't think we were as bad as some say.They were deep.Maybe we lacked a bit of invention going forward from midfield.Hendo in the advanced position needs to be more influential.Type of game were we needed another option and when Origi came on he looked good.

Still we can win ugly..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #277: Sep 28, 2019 02:34:09 pm
      Was good defence, OK midfield and sh*t attack, again.
      I honestly am becoming a bit concerned with our attack, that's quite a few games below par now, well need to be better against Leicester.
      Also thought Sheffield were very good, hope they play that well against City as well.

Anyway 3 very good points and the horrible task of having to support Everton later.
      rossyred

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #278: Sep 28, 2019 02:35:16 pm
      Was never going to be as easy as some thought cup finals for these teams just up . 3pts and  clean sheet  couldn't give a flying how we got it
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,293 posts | 272 
      Reply #279: Sep 28, 2019 02:35:35 pm
      That was a awful watch and we were far from great and a touch lucky, we had chances and should have done better but I'm made up with those three points, make no mistake even a couple of years ago we'd have lost that game.
      Teams aren't gonna roll over they gave it a hell of a dig with a raucous crowd behind them but we came through that's why we are genuine contenders now even favourites at this stage.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #280: Sep 28, 2019 02:35:41 pm
      horrible task of having to support Everton later.

Wouldn’t waste your time mate, they’re more likely to intentionally throw the game than try and get anything knowing it would help us. Remember the line up last time they met? Embarrassing.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #281: Sep 28, 2019 02:36:14 pm
      That was uglier than peter reid
      Kitty
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 663 posts | 116 
      Reply #282: Sep 28, 2019 02:38:29 pm
      Don't think we were as bad as some say.They were deep.Maybe we lacked a bit of invention going forward from midfield.Hendo in the advanced position needs to be more influential.Type of game were we needed another option and when Origi came on he looked good.

Still we can win ugly..
      We may not have been at our best today, but as long as we keep fighting and get 3 points, then I'll take winning ugly!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #283: Sep 28, 2019 02:38:34 pm
      One way to forget the frustration of that performance is to look at the league table, what a sight!!
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,753 posts | 460 
      Reply #284: Sep 28, 2019 02:38:50 pm
      Wouldn’t waste your time mate, they’re more likely to intentionally throw the game than try and get anything knowing it would help us. Remember the line up last time they met? Embarrassing.

I agree, it’s just two a point now, how bad will Everton rollover? And their fans will love it too. Will the Everton fans sing blue moon too? Such a small club.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,293 posts | 272 
      Reply #285: Sep 28, 2019 02:40:34 pm

Spot on don't even worry about that game, Everton fans are far more interested in what we are doing than their own team, sad gits not even on our radar
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #286: Sep 28, 2019 02:41:54 pm
      The only person dealing out crap is you with your incessant moaning.

A team like this doesn't deserve your support.

I'm not averse to self criticism and I've read back some sh*t posts from me on here a few times.

Today we were poor on the counter in finishing and decision making.

Klopp will show them at Melwood and we move on.

Don't see the point in being positive about everything all the time when things crop up in the season.

We are a great team, but that doesn't have to be said all the time. We cant be great every game but the basics weren't there today.

I'm under no illusions that we cant come to these grounds and win 5-0 every time.

We have 3 points, a huge 3 points and the old cliche that these games decide titles is my thinking today. To get the points we need to win the title we need these wins and we will need more of it (Origi against Everton).

Chris Wilder is a top man and has made these a premier league team to stick around. They lacked a bit of quality but these could well take points of City.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 829 
      Reply #287: Sep 28, 2019 02:42:20 pm

Still we can win ugly..

Me too mate.

I thought we weren't that bad either. If I would grade our performance (in american grading system) I would grade a C  (6.5 or 7/10). Sheff Utd played well, they defended well but they mostly had half chances and we missed 3 sitters. We also had 70% possession all game and more attempts on goal. We just lack a bit of creativity in midfield as Henderson and Gini are not the creative players so we will definitely find it difficult to break down teams like Sheff.Utd who rely on physical players, long ball and likes to play deeper.

Yeh, but we might have been lucky with the goal but sometimes winning games you need some luck. Plus our front 3 can have off games from time to time as long as we have players like VVD and Fabinho who can take the pressure off by playing superbly.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #288: Sep 28, 2019 02:42:51 pm
      Honest appraiser by the Boss

Emotions running high understandably, but the pressure is only going to build out there and definitely in here , we all see it differently , just don’t see the need to rip into each other,
      The reds are marching on , if we’d been offered 21 points after seven games regardless of performance every one of us would take it .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #289: Sep 28, 2019 02:43:59 pm
      Nice to see different rules applied to different teams by Anthony Taylor once again. Their keeper was seemingly taking about a full minute to take his goal kicks and yet Adrian does it once and gets a yellow card.

And no card given for a dangerous hack on Salah when he was on the floor. Awful referee.

Sheffield United may have fought hard but at the end of the day, when you look at chances created and chances that should have been put away, we still deserved to win regardless of how ugly it seemed at times.

Not lucky. Just better.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #290: Sep 28, 2019 02:45:37 pm
      In reality we should have scored about four times.  Early kick offs, pain in the arse.

Anticipated it being a difficult game and more than happy to take the 3 points.

Struggling to find any serious faults when we're 8 points clear, temporarily at least, after 7 games.  Winning when you're not at your best is my main positive from today.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #291: Sep 28, 2019 02:46:04 pm
      I like these wins we don't deserve to be fair.

We dont deserve the win today, but we have them and that's just great.

Add the undeserved wins to what will be our numerous deserved ones and we might just win this league.
      welease_bwian
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #292: Sep 28, 2019 02:46:26 pm
      Get the job done even by a single goal, i'm fine with it.

Yeah but 2 or 3 would've been better.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #293: Sep 28, 2019 02:47:20 pm
      Possession without penetration sums it up really.The front 3 need it it moved a bit quicker from the back and midfield. We can moan at the front 3 but it was a frustrating game for them.They had 9 deep and sometimes patience is key.

We did create chances and one went in...one more than them and in my experience that wins football matches.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,753 posts | 460 
      Reply #294: Sep 28, 2019 02:49:06 pm
      Possession without penetration sums it up really.The front 3 need it it moved a bit quicker from the back and midfield. We can moan at the front 3 but it was a frustrating game for them.They had 9 deep and sometimes patience is key.

We did create chances and one went in...one more than them and in my experience that wins football matches.

Agree, as at times I noticed Bobby coming back a lot deeper then normal to get the ball and be the pivot / play make he is up front.

Still, a win thoughy
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #295: Sep 28, 2019 02:54:46 pm
      Sometimes you know you have to doff your hat to a opposition and I'm certainly doing that today for Chris Wilder and his Blades,  thought they were superb the way they got about us and hampered our movement,
      They were simply unlucky, their keeper made a hash of things and if we're all honest deserved something from that game,  however,

Again winning ugly and another invaluable 3 points gained from us mis-firing, but I'm not taking anything away from Sheffield Utd, other sides have to go there, and will come away with F**k All, so in the grand scheme of things, that is a f***in brilliant result,

7 out of 7, maximum 21 points, no one can match us right now, We just need to keep going grinding out results ugly or beautifully , keep saying it, this is our time,  this is our Title.

Get in lads.

YNWA
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #296: Sep 28, 2019 02:55:12 pm
      With the attacking trio off and missing some pretty easy chances we were still able to grind out a win with some good defending and lady luck on our side with the goalkeeper error on the Gini shot. I think Mane puts away one of those two great chances late in the first half we would roll them over but we made it hard on us not taking the chances.

I thought the VvD-Matip-Fabinho in the middle had a really good game, snuffed out a lot of attacks, passed the ball well, made key tackles and controlled the play when needed.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #297: Sep 28, 2019 02:55:43 pm
      Honest appraiser by the Boss

Emotions running high understandably, but the pressure is only going to build out there and definitely in here , we all see it differently , just don’t see the need to rip into each other,
      The reds are marching on , if we’d been offered 21 points after seven games regardless of performance every one of us would take it .
      [/quote.

Sensible post.   :gt-happyup: :
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #298: Sep 28, 2019 03:00:03 pm
      Possession without penetration sums it up really.

We had the penetration but just fired blanks.  Mane and Salah both had clear one on ones that on a different day go in.  Our goal might have been soft, but so were our misses IMO.

Quick Reply