Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sheff Utd?

Adrián
      7 (8.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      26 (30.6%)
      Joel Matip
      9 (10.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (5.9%)
       Fabinho
      19 (22.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      13 (15.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      4 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: Oct 02, 2019 02:22:34 pm

Sheffield United 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28931 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Re: Sheffield United 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Sep 28, 2019 03:01:42 pm
      Me too mate.

I thought we weren't that bad either. If I would grade our performance (in american grading system) I would grade a C  (6.5 or 7/10). Sheff Utd played well, they defended well but they mostly had half chances and we missed 3 sitters. We also had 70% possession all game and more attempts on goal. We just lack a bit of creativity in midfield as Henderson and Gini are not the creative players so we will definitely find it difficult to break down teams like Sheff.Utd who rely on physical players, long ball and likes to play deeper.

Yeh, but we might have been lucky with the goal but sometimes winning games you need some luck. Plus our front 3 can have off games from time to time as long as we have players like VVD and Fabinho who can take the pressure off by playing superbly.

And it looks like Fabinho has nailed down that holding role. Slight drawback for us is we don't really have a playmaker or any great creativity from midfield.Endeavour by the bucket load obviously..will it be enough to see off City's challenge?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #300: Sep 28, 2019 03:04:57 pm
      With the attacking trio off and missing some pretty easy chances we were still able to grind out a win with some good defending and lady luck on our side with the goalkeeper error on the Gini shot. I think Mane puts away one of those two great chances late in the first half we would roll them over but we made it hard on us not taking the chances.

I thought the VvD-Matip-Fabinho in the middle had a really good game, snuffed out a lot of attacks, passed the ball well, made key tackles and controlled the play when needed.

We absolutely would have rolled them over if we had taken those earlier chances. They were fu**ed with about half an hour left to play and running on the adrenaline provided by the crowd. At 2-0 and a silenced crowd in that final 20 minutes it would have gone up to 3 or 4. There were numerous moments late on when the likes of Firmino turned and breezed around. Sadly our front 3 didn't quite have the composure to make it count no doubt largely down to the pressure of the crowd. But at 1-0 away from home and having missed golden chances to secure the victory, it is an entirely different game where all the pressure is on you. That they survived with no major cock up induced in such a pressurised environment is a testament to their mental fortitude.

MOTM for me could be any one of Fabinho, VVD or Adrian but I'd give it to Adrian. In high pressurised situations with a charged crowd away from home how many times did we have to put up with moronic goals conceded induced by Mignolet's technical and mental inabilities? Adrian had the crowd on his back all game but didn't spill any of the umpteen lumpy high balls that he had to come for.

The defence on corners and set pieces was also faultless today and Robbo's last ditch tackle to prevent them from scoring was Carraesque. Trent had a tough game but as ever for a teenager like him he's going to have days like these and playing in matches like that, in atmospheres like that and coming through unscathed will only continue to make the guy prosper, more so than a comfortable 3-0, 4-0 home win.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #301: Sep 28, 2019 03:06:08 pm
      Big big win
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #302: Sep 28, 2019 03:07:46 pm
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #303: Sep 28, 2019 03:08:18 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #304: Sep 28, 2019 03:10:58 pm
      Oh and nice to see Chris Wilder, another star of Jurassic Park, hanging out his players to dry in true English dinosaur fashion. From BBC Sport just now:

"On Dean Henderson: "If he wants to be a professional footballer, these things are going to happen. But if he wants to play for the top teams, he wants to play for England then he needs to do better, he needs to concentrate more, it's a disappointing day for him. I am not going to put my arms around him, simply he needs to do better."

Which is weird because just a few days ago he was saying this...

https://twitter.com/SheffieldUnited/status/1177171187782340609?s=20

ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #305: Sep 28, 2019 03:11:31 pm
      We won’t be the only team at the top to go there and struggle this season. They’re much like Wolves of last season, but without the goal threat of Jiminez.

Potential for City to drop points then.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #306: Sep 28, 2019 03:13:29 pm
      F**k that was tense.

Nowhere near our best and all credit to Sheffield United but as they say, champions find a way in games like that.

A howler was the only way we were scoring today the way things were going. Bad day at the office for the front 3.

However, we march on. 7/7.

Up the F***ing Reds.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #307: Sep 28, 2019 03:13:43 pm
      I think we will come up against 5 at the back a lot this season. Our full backs found it hard to get in position to get crosses in and Firmino was struggling to get involved.

Dont think it's too harsh on the players to say we weren't great today. Sheffield United like Wilder said didn't punish us and we take home the points.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #308: Sep 28, 2019 03:14:10 pm
      Oh and nice to see Chris Wilder, another star of Jurassic Park, hanging out his players to dry in true English dinosaur fashion. From BBC Sport just now:

"On Dean Henderson: "If he wants to be a professional footballer, these things are going to happen. But if he wants to play for the top teams, he wants to play for England then he needs to do better, he needs to concentrate more, it's a disappointing day for him. I am not going to put my arms around him, simply he needs to do better."

Sounds like some of us including “meself”
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #309: Sep 28, 2019 03:21:20 pm
      My MoTM VVD. Wouldn't say he bailed us out but our chances of winning 1-0 increases massively with him on the pitch.

Nice to get a clean sheet!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #310: Sep 28, 2019 03:25:49 pm
      Did see a Rolls Royce on the side of the road broken down once.
      Still better than all the other motors when it was repaired  though 😳
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #311: Sep 28, 2019 03:59:55 pm

Which is weird because just a few days ago he was saying this...

https://twitter.com/SheffieldUnited/status/1177171187782340609?s=20

Wow. Helpful from his manager. Like the keeper doesn't already know he f****d up.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #312: Sep 28, 2019 04:02:02 pm
      Happy for the 3 points in a tough environment. I thought the way this game played out it was asking for Origi to come on, more of a penalty box player. I thought he made a difference along with the tactical change.

But this win was mainly about guts. Onward.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #313: Sep 28, 2019 04:05:53 pm
      Reckon Origi deserves to start one soon, when he’s on it he’s got a tonne of flair.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #314: Sep 28, 2019 04:11:16 pm
      Wow. Helpful from his manager. Like the keeper doesn't already know he f****d up.

Difference between people like him and Jürgen Klopp. Klopp would never say that in the immediate aftermath of a match.

I see Leon Osman (who is a terrible pundit) on Final Score saying 'that's the way it should be. Too much mollycoddling of players by managers these days'...

you can tell he's just bitter at the Sheffield United keeper for gifting it to Liverpool.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #315: Sep 28, 2019 04:24:03 pm
      Peak 'expertise' here from generic twitter account pretending they have a UEFA Pro License. The insinuation being that Sheffield United are the first ever team to play man to man against Klopp's Liverpool.

https://twitter.com/EiFSoccer/status/1177929094748610561?s=20

https://twitter.com/EiFSoccer/status/1177929689366700033?s=20
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #316: Sep 28, 2019 04:26:35 pm
      Missed the match as I was digging a drainage trench in the garden.

We won 0-1 but how did we do? My son said we were dreadful - again.

So two poor games and six points. I'll take that all day long.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 65 
      Reply #317: Sep 28, 2019 04:34:41 pm
      I always thought this would be a tricky one. They have a bit of Yorkshire grit in that side and will be tough to beat for any visiting side especially the top 6 because they will play like this today . Not pretty but effective and we needed a slice of luck to get the three points but as they say , you make your own luck.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #318: Sep 28, 2019 05:12:25 pm
      I recorded the game and just finished it now.

I voted MOTM for Wijnaldum because his shot somehow went in and that is what brought us the three points. However, Adrian, VVD, Robertson were excellent to save our day from a disaster and gave us the belief that somehow we can win as we did.

Mane and Salah were below par with their finishing. Firmino looked tired. Origi was excellent from the minute he was on the pitch.

Onwards and upwards. YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #319: Sep 28, 2019 05:35:56 pm
      I think we will come up against 5 at the back a lot this season. Our full backs found it hard to get in position to get crosses in and Firmino was struggling to get involved.

Dont think it's too harsh on the players to say we weren't great today. Sheffield United like Wilder said didn't punish us and we take home the points.

This is exactly the scenario where we need to see more from midfield, unfortunately with the current two more attacking midfielders I don’t think they have it in their game.
      Just need to wait for Keita and Ox to get up to speed.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #320: Sep 28, 2019 05:37:28 pm
      Missed the match as I was digging a drainage trench in the garden.

We won 0-1 but how did we do? My son said we were dreadful - again.

So two poor games and six points. I'll take that all day long.

Not dreadful.
      Bad finishing and some spirited play from Sheffield.
      They were very physical, well organised and had a decent press and counter.

We should have been 2-0 up at half time

No worries, I'll take a 1-0 win against a tough side all day long.

Edit to add; Forgot about the penalty call. as blatant a penalty as you will ever see, and it wasn't given. F**k VAR.
      « Last Edit: Sep 28, 2019 05:54:01 pm by Swab »
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #321: Sep 28, 2019 05:37:33 pm
      After 25 minutes I had a terrible feeling this was going tits up ,they were well organised giving us plenty grief,said to my mates dont care how we win even if it comes of Mo`s arse that`ll do just win, I was exhausted after watching that today.
      And so we roll on  3 points in the bag ,unbeaten and a clean sheet great Saturday all`s fine and dandy now  pulse was a bit rapid last 10 minutes, well done Redmen keep it going .

Quick Reply