Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sheff Utd?

Adrián
      7 (8.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      26 (30.6%)
      Joel Matip
      9 (10.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (5.9%)
       Fabinho
      19 (22.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      13 (15.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      4 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: Oct 02, 2019 02:22:34 pm

Sheffield United 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28959 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Sheffield United 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Sep 28, 2019 09:22:58 pm
      Last season in the period where we lost our gap on City we drew against United and Everton, Klopp was reluctant to change midfielders for forwards.

Perhaps those teams had more of a cutting edge when the game became open and Klopp was weary of that, but I wonder if it's a change of policy.

I said after about an hour that we may want to stretch the game and risk losing in order to win. Origis impact made it end to end and both teams had more chances.

2 draws gets 2 points and a win and a loss is 3. I think it's well worth the risk at this stage of the season to be willing to lose in order to win.

It took us a few minutes to adjust alright, but most of their attacks came down our right, and it was a clear tactic from them to have players high and wide, and also use them to press, which we didn't deal with particularly well after Henderson went off.

I don't think of Klopp as someone who is averse to risk taking, but given we failed to win the league by 2 points, I reckon he's keen to try and force games where in a league without a city type team, he'd be happy with a point.
      So, perhaps a bit less pragmatism and a bit more "F**k it, we'll go for it"
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #346: Sep 28, 2019 09:24:37 pm
      So you want us to change the system that saw us rack up 97 points and win the CL last season, and has us with 100% record this season.

Riiiight.

And you ask what planet I'm on?

F***ing hell.

I am referring to today in that it was changed as it wasnt working . Do you not think replacing Henderson with Origi is a change in style and shape which ever way you look at it a more offensive player replaced a more defensive minded player . Give me F***ing strength
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #347: Sep 28, 2019 09:31:18 pm
      I am referring to today in that it was changed as it wasnt working . Do you not think replacing Henderson with Origi is a change in style and shape which ever way you look at it a more offensive player replaced a more defensive minded player . Give me F***ing strength

System.
      It stayed pretty much the same.

You don't need strength fella, you need to stop contradicting yourself.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #348: Sep 28, 2019 09:34:44 pm
      Uncomfortable to watch that today.
      I honestly thought we'd batter them :-[

Massive 3 points.

rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #349: Sep 28, 2019 09:36:55 pm
      System.
      It stayed pretty much the same.

You don't need strength fella, you need to stop contradicting yourself.

Did it ? Really ? So I expect to see Origi used in a midfield 3 more often then  as he can fit into the same system that never changes  :lmao:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #350: Sep 28, 2019 09:40:39 pm
      Did it ? Really ? So I expect to see Origi used in a midfield 3 more often then  as he can fit into the same system that never changes  :lmao:

So you don't even understand what a system is, and think it's the same as shape.

Deary me.

No wonder you come out with so much nonsense.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #351: Sep 28, 2019 09:43:04 pm
      Hard watch but we won I’ll take the 3 points. Sheffield look like a well drilled team and the atmosphere was cracking.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #352: Sep 28, 2019 09:54:19 pm
      So you don't even understand what a system is, and think it's the same as shape.

Deary me.

No wonder you come out with so much nonsense.

Styles or systems not arsed really . My original post that sometimes that Midfield 3 needs changing fully exonerated by the fact more offense added which led to the goal and 3 pts which is all I am really bothered about
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #353: Sep 28, 2019 10:00:26 pm
      Styles or systems not arsed really . My original post that sometimes that Midfield 3 needs changing fully exonerated by the fact more offense added which led to the goal and 3 pts which is all I am really bothered about

Except you posted it after the fact, which doesn't mean exoneration at all.

Either way, get your head around the fact that we will continue to play this way, and that it got us 97 points last season, and has seen us with a 100% record this season.

We should have been at least 2-0 up at half time, with the system you say needs changing.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #354: Sep 28, 2019 10:10:38 pm
      Except you posted it after the fact, which doesn't mean exoneration at all.

Either way, get your head around the fact that we will continue to play this way, and that it got us 97 points last season, and has seen us with a 100% record this season.

We should have been at least 2-0 up at half time, with the system you say needs changing.

But we were not 2 up were we so that's why he changed it . Do you think if we were 2 up origi would have replaced Henderson ? No which Is why I said at times the three or the shape or system needs to be adapted with more offensive players to force a win if possible . Yes it got us 97 points and runners up but in games such as Man U away was screaming out for a more bolder approach as it was clearly not working and created very little if anything at all
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #355: Sep 28, 2019 10:17:53 pm
      Not sure if I should even get involved here but I would just mention, not in support or against anyone's argument here, Klopp mentioned one reason for the sub he made was so Bobby could play "between the lines" more. He also said Divock might have replaced Hendo OR Gini, adding tongue-in-cheek that he made the right choice because it was Gini's shot that went in. ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #356: Sep 28, 2019 10:18:05 pm
      Missed this one today but another three points and we maintain our 100% record.

Going to watch MOTD now.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #357: Sep 28, 2019 10:18:53 pm
      But we were not 2 up were we so that's why he changed it . Do you think if we were 2 up origi would have replaced Henderson ? No which Is why I said at times the three or the shape or system needs to be adapted with more offensive players to force a win if possible . Yes it got us 97 points and runners up but in games such as Man U away was screaming out for a more bolder approach as it was clearly not working and created very little if anything at all

It was poor finishing that meant we weren't 2-0 up, not the system.
      The system that you said needs changing is the one that created those chances.

Then when we changed an attacker for a midfielder,  a midfielder that you say isn't creative enough scored the goal that won the game.

Can you really not see the contradictions in your posts?
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #358: Sep 28, 2019 10:31:12 pm
      It was poor finishing that meant we weren't 2-0 up, not the system.
      The system that you said needs changing is the one that created those chances.

Then when we changed an attacker for a midfielder,  a midfielder that you say isn't creative enough scored the goal that won the game.

Can you really not see the contradictions in your posts?

How many assists and goals this year for Gini ? One ? I'm not having a go at him or Henderson Just that at times we need other options due to differing opposition etc .Please stop boring me with your contradiction comeback as that is all you seem to be able to fall back on when there hasn't been any .
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #359: Sep 28, 2019 10:58:33 pm
      How many assists and goals this year for Gini ? One ? I'm not having a go at him or Henderson Just that at times we need other options due to differing opposition etc .Please stop boring me with your contradiction comeback as that is all you seem to be able to fall back on when there hasn't been any .

We already have other options.

The skill of Klopp is using them at the right times.
      This is what you don't seem to be getting.
      Our first option is about keeping it tight for the first hour or so, but we still create chances, as evidenced today and many other times.
      It works, that's why we do it.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #360: Sep 28, 2019 11:10:45 pm
      No, I said our midfielders are essentially defenders, a different thing entirely.

It's all very well sitting there saying we need x or y, but yet again, a poster fails to take into account some important things.
      1) is our high line, where the 2 CB are in the opponents half, which means the play is very compressed, which means there is no room for threaded passes, and where the chances come from creating overloads in wide positions, which drags opposition players out of the middle. This can also be exploited by switching play quickly to the other flank.

2) is the fact tht in many games Henderson is not really "more advanced"; he just ppers to be becuse we are playing so high. His primary responsibility, like Gini or Milner is to drop in behind the FB. Henderson does this on the right (gini or Milner on the left)
      When the play goes down the left, Henderson is free to push up a bit more, and come more central.
      The same applies to Gini or Milner on the left.

3) It's a completely different system to the "full backs bombing on" 442 of old, and is obviously far from basic if you can't understand that, because they don't "bomb on", they are attackers.
      Teams have a set number of attackers and defenders for optimum play.
      Our system has 3 forwrd attackers, 2 FB's and sometimes an extra midfielder if the other team have been pushed deep enough.
      So normally, 5 defenders, and 5 attackers, occasionally, 6.

4) The high line we play allows us to dominate possession in the opponents half, win the ball back early and quickly, and create chances through sustained pressure.

If you really think that our system is in any way similar to the 442 with attacking FB's then you re completely wrong.

This is very basic stuff, and yet you don't seem to understand it.

Thank you for your detailed reply and for taking the time to construct the post.I'll bear your remarks in mind for the future.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #361: Sep 29, 2019 12:12:42 am
      Didn't get to see the match, saw the highlights....sounds like they were well organized and gave us problems, but once the 3 points are on the board it doesn't matter, we go again.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #362: Sep 29, 2019 12:51:42 am
       That was a difficult game. OK We did get the three points, we did have a few more chances to score, but you know what. If we'd gone 3 -0 up, i don't think they'd have changed their style. They were really going for it. The clean sheet was due to their lack of quality up top when under pressure more than anything. I'm sure a load of teams are gonna go there and get turned over. They try to play decent footy and have a great crowd behind them. Credit where credits due. They aint bad, they just came up against a side today who don't know when they're beat. Winning when you play below par is a sign of greatness. So we go on to the next one. I haven't even looked who our next prem opponents are, but I'm sure we'll be up to it whoever it is.  ;D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #363: Sep 29, 2019 01:35:46 am
      F***ing get innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

So we didn't play as well as we could and yet still could have put 4 or 5 past them if it wasn't for poor finishing and a blatant penalty not even going to VAR!!!

Who gives a f**k that we weren't at our best? We went to a place we knew that could be difficult to go too and came away with maximum points. Bet there is a lot of teams that will go their this season and will not pick up anything, just hope Sheffield play like that against the rest of the Top 6. We won f**king ugly and that's what potential Champions need to do!!!

31 to go!!!!!!!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #364: Sep 29, 2019 02:13:38 am
      It was a hard match to watch but I am glad we were able to come away with the 3 points.It was good to see Adrian come away with a clean sheet,I am a lot more confident with him between the sticks than I ever was with Mignolet.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #365: Sep 29, 2019 10:03:38 am
      So we didn't play as well as we could and yet still could have put 4 or 5 past them if it wasn't for poor finishing and a blatant penalty not even going to VAR!!!

Couple of decent saves from Adrian.  Not convinced that one at the end was going in though and a couple of Sheffield United's clear chances would have been ruled out for offside, so there is that.

Mane and Salah should have scored with their one and one's and thought Mane was unlucky not to get a pen.

No doubt we deserved the points.  Manner of the goal was harsh on Sheffield United but I'm confident that if he had stopped that we still would have ground out a win.

It's going to come as a massive shock to our systems when we lose (or draw) a league game!
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #366: Sep 29, 2019 02:00:06 pm
      I'm sure a load of teams are gonna go there and get turned over. They try to play decent footy and have a great crowd behind them. Credit where credits due.

I hope one of them is man city, scheduled for January.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #367: Sep 29, 2019 02:56:00 pm
      It was as much as anything it was quite a patient performance. Control and disciplined much more than in the Rodgers days. Comes from the calm authority of VVD I think. The assurance was missing when Lovren and Mig were in the side.

You can build solid reliability into your act when you have that control and discipline. Stands the side in good stead as we progress into the season. We can tear teams apart. We can be patient. We can control and defend with real assurance.

Only City stand in our way. They play more expansive football, have more strength in depth and it will require a monumental effort by us to finish above them. I don't underestimate the challenge.We all know this is a very difficult task.

Quick Reply