Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Salzburg?

Adrián
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (2.3%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (2.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      25 (28.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      6 (6.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      13 (14.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      23 (26.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      14 (15.9%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: Oct 06, 2019 09:50:23 pm

Liverpool 4-3 FC Salzburg: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22288 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Liverpool 4-3 FC Salzburg: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Oct 03, 2019 12:48:12 pm
      As TAA seems to attack so much, and leaves the right back position exposed,  it might be an idea to move TAA into right midfield, and put Joe Gomez as the third centre back.

Do you think he just goes out there and makes his own mind up what to do?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #277: Oct 03, 2019 12:49:25 pm
      Watched it agin this morning, and it looked like we just switched off after the 3rd, thinking "job done".

If that's the case, the players need a good kick up the arse.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #278: Oct 03, 2019 01:04:44 pm
      Watched it agin this morning, and it looked like we just switched off after the 3rd, thinking "job done".

If that's the case, the players need a good kick up the arse.

That’s exactly what we did, switched off & hopefully the Boss got his message across about complacency, we nearly lost yesterday.

Lesson learned & one I think came about at the the right time & game.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #279: Oct 03, 2019 01:22:50 pm
      What the F*** happened there  :mad:

Lessons to be learned, they looked a decent side.  Can someone get our defence back please???

Still 3 point though.

YNWA
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #280: Oct 03, 2019 01:37:59 pm
      Seemingly a lack of concentration at times. The players need to perhaps remember, it is a 90 minute game, play until the final whistle, has been blown.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #281: Oct 03, 2019 02:43:51 pm
      We seem more afraid at 3-2 then when we were 3-3. It was good that we conceded the third because we got our mind back to the actual job.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #282: Oct 03, 2019 03:43:35 pm
      The other lad was better scored second goal real livewire mini something

Turns out it is 18-year old midfieler Dominic SZ*(&*(^^ we are "after".

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #283: Oct 03, 2019 03:47:15 pm
      It only proves one thing... we consistently deliver the right result. Regardless of how we do it. Regardless of change in personnel. Not comfortable, but it’s the result that ultimately matters.

As long as you score more goals than your opposition before the final whistle, you’ve done the job.

The rest is just differences in expectations. Big win or small win. Warning signs or it’s been coming.

So you're saying the purpose of being in these competitions is to ....WIN????

That is just cra-cra talk.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #284: Oct 03, 2019 04:15:15 pm
      I expect we will win out and win the group with 15 points.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #285: Oct 03, 2019 04:25:46 pm
      I see what you're saying. They're sporting philosophy is good I'll give them that which gives them the edge over clubs hollowed out by the blood stained, oil soaked shovels like Man City and PSG. They give chances to many many youngsters who would otherwise have fallen by the wayside but Red Bull this, Red Bull that? Don't need that.

But the worst thing is probably the hijacking of local identity for corporate means. The beauty of club football is that clubs should all stem from the roots of thousands/millions of separate communities across the world and in turn reflect the best values of these communities.

The likes of Red Bull try to place 'community' in brand attachment. Which is quite sad.

But do they really accomplish that, if that is their goal? The pictures I saw of the traveling support yesterday looked very much like a group support a "local" football team, thoroughly enjoying a day at one of the biggest venues in the world, marching from city centre and soaking it all in. Those people weren't thinking about Red Bull at all, is my guess. they were out supporting their club.

But as you say, the business has invested a lot of money in various clubs and set up a good player identification and development model (that has helped to give us one of our best players, btw). Yes, they have tried to put their name on the club(s), it's still the club those local supporters have supported over the years. If people are just reacting to corporate involvement with them and the Leipzig club, well those same people are likely always crying out for more investment in their own club, especially for player transfers. "Somebody pony up some money so we can buy X"

Well Red Bull seems to have done that. If they are chastised for expecting something in return re public relations or marketing, well so do every other shirt sponsor and other type of sponsor all clubs, including Liverpool sponsors.

It's easy to just shout to the mob and say "Down with the corporations!" But investment is needed at the top competitive levels of world football. It's up to the people making up the club to preserve the local and historic identity of that club and in truth, I don't think even the richest companies in the world could steal that beautiful culture and identity from Liverpool.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #286: Oct 03, 2019 05:23:55 pm
      That Minamino fella for Salzburg was absolute class, gave our midfield the complete run around second half.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #287: Oct 03, 2019 06:42:45 pm
      That Minamino fella for Salzburg was absolute class, gave our midfield the complete run around second half.

Because they changed to a diamond, and Fabinho kept losing him.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #288: Oct 03, 2019 07:42:41 pm
      We should of had someone from the first team watching the youths early,Red bull came out flying in the second half of that one as well must be necking their product in the dressing rooms!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #289: Oct 03, 2019 07:48:12 pm
      Oh yeah,i was talking to a guy after, that watched the game at the offi boston bar on the BR live stream with english commentary, 4 minutes behind real time.That can't be good?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #290: Oct 03, 2019 08:04:53 pm
      Oh yeah,i was talking to a guy after, that watched the game at the offi boston bar on the BR live stream with english commentary, 4 minutes behind real time.That can't be good?

You mean the audio was four minutes behind the video?

I watched w Spanish comms and didn't feel I missed a thing except they made a joke about that guy's goggles that they laughed for a long while about. Wished I could have understood it.  :)
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #291: Oct 03, 2019 08:13:24 pm
      You mean the audio was four minutes behind the video?

I watched w Spanish comms and didn't feel I missed a thing except they made a joke about that guy's goggles that they laughed for a long while about. Wished I could have understood it.  :)

Nah,his phone notification went mad when we scored and the b/r stream was only 5 minutes in to the game or something like that!dunno if it was the bars slow stream or b/r but not good just to hear english.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #292: Oct 03, 2019 09:59:19 pm
      Going to be an interesting game, when we play at Salzburg, on their own soil, who look a very handy attacking side.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #293: Oct 03, 2019 11:31:05 pm

Nah,his phone notification went mad when we scored and the b/r stream was only 5 minutes in to the game or something like that!dunno if it was the bars slow stream or b/r but not good just to hear english.

Last year, whichever group stage game we lost to a late winner, we had the same issue and some guy gets a notice and curses out loud. Not sure which made me angrier, the loss or the total lack of thoughtfulness. There is a whole book I could write about experiences watching games in public places in America over the past 30+ years. I even remember a syndicated showing from the 1978 World Cup where the American comm had rosters for the wrong two teams and announced it thusly for about 2/3 of the game!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #294: Oct 04, 2019 09:26:13 am
      Think people are hyping up parts of the Salzburg team a bit much. They had a couple of very good finishes but all their goals happened because of our errors. The first was Hendo trying to dribble past them and getting tackled, the 2nd was Gomez giving away a needless foul and then being able to expose the huge gap he had left with a quick free kick...why TAA didn’t stand over the ball and stop it being taken I’m not sure, yes he’d have gotten a yellow but it’s better than when he gets them for taking a year to throw the ball. The 3rd goal was the simplest of tap ins because we got sloppy on the left and Gomez made no attempt at all to intercept the ball and literally just let it run past him to Haaland to tap in.

Credit to them for taking advantage but there’s not a chance they score them goals if we were switched on and hadn’t gotten complacent and then panicked. No where near good enough defensively, they should never have gotten into the position to get their shots away.

They were decent but we definitely made them look better than they are.
      « Last Edit: Oct 04, 2019 09:49:49 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #295: Oct 04, 2019 10:33:56 am
      Think people are hyping up parts of the Salzburg team a bit much. They had a couple of very good finishes but all their goals happened because of our errors. The first was Hendo trying to dribble past them and getting tackled, the 2nd was Gomez giving away a needless foul and then being able to expose the huge gap he had left with a quick free kick...why TAA didn’t stand over the ball and stop it being taken I’m not sure, yes he’d have gotten a yellow but it’s better than when he gets them for taking a year to throw the ball. The 3rd goal was the simplest of tap ins because we got sloppy on the left and Gomez made no attempt at all to intercept the ball and literally just let it run past him to Haaland to tap in.

Credit to them for taking advantage but there’s not a chance they score them goals if we were switched on and hadn’t gotten complacent and then panicked. No where near good enough defensively, they should never have gotten into the position to get their shots away.

They were decent but we definitely made them look better than they are.

Yes Henderson and Gomez both had a poor game
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #296: Oct 04, 2019 11:01:45 am

Got used to watching footy on TV with no sound, some real tosspots on BBC and BT.
      Saw the game on BT and Steve Macmanaman was one of two commentators - he was an exception to the rule.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #297: Oct 04, 2019 11:18:56 am
      Fabinho has a knack for taking back possession of the ball at crucial times. He could have waited for the Salzburg player to bring the ball down and then go for it but he acted quickly, was able to play the ball in the air while simultaneously playing it to Firmino who assisted the fourth and winning goal. His concentration levels are ridiculous!

I love the games against teams you don't often get to watch often but know they play good attacking football. The first time I watched Salzburg was during the 2014/15 season when they were in the Europa League and had a front 3 of Mane, Soriano & Kampl; they were lethal in front of goal then too. I'm looking forward to seeing how they get on against Napoli.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #298: Oct 04, 2019 11:47:16 am
      So play with 3 centre backs & no right back?

Yep. Three at the back.

Quick Reply