Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

7 Matches in 21 Days; Pivotal stretch of the season

Read 12449 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      7 Matches in 21 Days; Pivotal stretch of the season
      Oct 03, 2019 07:59:11 pm
      Not overlooking Saturday's match with Leicester by any means, but I notice after the upcoming international break we have quite a 21-day stretch including:

• 7 matches
      • First game with United - can we get another one of their managers sacked?
      • Two Champions League games, both vs. Genk - 6 points on the cards?
      • League Cup tie vs. Arsenal - Will the kids be alright?
      • First game with Spurs - How many times will Harry Kane dive?
      • Home match vs. City and a chance to gain some serious separation in the table.

The match with Villa is the only one that doesn't really stand out but that might be the best chance of the league matches for some rotation.

It won't settle anything as far as winning trophies goes, but this is going to be a vital three weeks in writing the story of our season.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: 7 Matches in 21 Days; Pivotal stretch of the season
      Reply #1: Oct 03, 2019 09:17:32 pm
      Big games all piling up all together the Arsenal game not to bothered about, the  Genk games and Spurs are all winnable we must improve upon our performance against United (if we had won at old toilet last season and showed some balls) whome we seem afraid of, and even if we draw with City that would not be a disaster bring it all on
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #2: Oct 04, 2019 07:10:02 am
      It will be interesting to see if Jürgen uses the squad a little more during this next stretch of games. He has resisted the urge thus far and has only really rotated a couple of players across the midfield. At some point players like Ox, Keita, Lallana, Lovren and potentially a couple of the youngsters will be used I would expect.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: Oct 04, 2019 12:47:36 pm
      The games against the Manchester teams stand out to me.

We looked terrible away at United last season. They had players going down injured throughout the game and we still failed to put them to the sword. It looked like we were playing for a draw (if that's possible) rather than going for the 3 points.

At home to City - this is a game we have to win IMO. Games against City could decide where the title goes, last season we had 1 point from a possible 6 and that was basically because Mahrez missed a penalty, we must do better this season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4: Oct 04, 2019 03:05:31 pm
      ROTATION ROTATION ROTATION. ;D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5: Oct 04, 2019 03:29:36 pm
      The games against the Manchester teams stand out to me.

We looked terrible away at United last season. They had players going down injured throughout the game and we still failed to put them to the sword. It looked like we were playing for a draw (if that's possible) rather than going for the 3 points.

At home to City - this is a game we have to win IMO. Games against City could decide where the title goes, last season we had 1 point from a possible 6 and that was basically because Mahrez missed a penalty, we must do better this season.

Every time we started getting a bit of rythmn, one of their players went down, and after a couple of breaks like that, we couldn't seem to find it again.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Oct 04, 2019 09:44:13 pm
      Every time we started getting a bit of rythmn, one of their players went down, and after a couple of breaks like that, we couldn't seem to find it again.

I think we had something like 1 shot on target to their 3 or 4 and there we showed little to no urgency either. Either way, there should be an improvement this time around.
      Kop82
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #7: Oct 05, 2019 04:53:25 pm
      We will need to get full points from Manchester United and draw with Manchester City and go the same run like last year and we should breeze through the league..we slipped up today but I guess it is better to slip up now than later
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #8: Oct 05, 2019 06:25:33 pm
      We will need to get full points from Manchester United and draw with Manchester City and go the same run like last year and we should breeze through the league..we slipped up today but I guess it is better to slip up now than later

What slip up?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #9: Oct 05, 2019 06:27:04 pm

Seems somebody jumped the gun a bit here :D
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #10: Oct 05, 2019 06:28:28 pm

Well if slipping up is winning 2-1, you must be a hard supporter to please.  :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Oct 05, 2019 06:35:44 pm
      Our defence hasn't quite been on the levels of this time last year but we've had to adapt to a higher defensive line that Jürgen has imposed upon the side and a second goalkeeper. Adrian has done an unbelievable job (seriously - for our second keeper to be commanding the goal on a league winning run of 8 games is beyond what anyone believed possible) but like 99.9% of keepers out there he prefers to do his work much deeper than Alisson and so a slight lack of synchronicity is still apparent.

That teams haven't been able to inflict a blow on our league results while such changes in tactics and key personnel have been in play may be seen as a missed opportunity by the rest of the league, particularly if Alisson comes back after the international break.

Clearly Klopp will rotate a lot more from this point on but given the performances of Milner and Lovren today, who came in and stepped up to the plate, rotation is something we can certainly do. I'm sure we can start Origi in a few home games as well to give one of the front three a rest.

Our strength in depth may not have the technical wizardry of Man City, but it certainly has a greater attritional quality to it.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #12: Oct 05, 2019 06:39:29 pm

I know people leave the stadium early to beat the F***ing traffic didn't know it applied to the internet as well.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #13: Oct 05, 2019 08:48:29 pm

I know people leave the stadium early to beat the f**king traffic didn't know it applied to the internet as well.

Some peeps are just desperate for us to "slip up" so they can go on the wind up.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #14: Oct 06, 2019 08:23:21 am
      Some peeps are just desperate for us to "slip up" so they can go on the wind up.

Very true mate ,theres a world of pain out there where Liverpool is concerned,other supporters the impartiality that the media is supposed to have disappears when a Liverpool red shirt appears ,the same comments every week they were the last team to ,he caused the penalty last time they met   , he has a great record at Anfield ,,18 unbeaten games and this is the guy who.... after City this  team have scored more goals against Liverpool   endless drivel ,every week its like they have a bunch of smart comments ready to throw at the viewer if we falter they pull them like a gunslinger pulls his gun they cant wait for the lose of a point or 3 .
      What the rest of the Premiership should be worried about is when we click into top gear and  start scoring more goals from the chances we make. . 
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #15: Oct 06, 2019 09:37:50 am
      I will play full team for every Premiership game but would use the squad for Genk's game and Arsenal.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16: Oct 06, 2019 10:00:17 am
      I will play full team for every Premiership game but would use the squad for Genk's game and Arsenal.

Not sure about that, we need to be a bit careful against Genk, certainly the away game, its crucial we win those 2 games to give us a nice buffer before we face Napoli and Salzburg again.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #17: Oct 06, 2019 10:12:56 am
      Not sure about that, we need to be a bit careful against Genk, certainly the away game, its crucial we win those 2 games to give us a nice buffer before we face Napoli and Salzburg again.

I agree, I did not mention which players I would include. I would include from the start: Origi, Lovren or Gomez, Adrian (only for Arsenal game), Lallana, AOC, Keita and Elliot & Brewster from the bench.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #18: Oct 06, 2019 10:23:25 am

I would play the full team for every match. Until the players wear out. When they have become fatigued and useless, I’d sell them on. I’m the no nonsense, heartless and demanding manager that everyone loves. Results, results, results. 8-0, 8-0, 8-0 >:D
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #19: Oct 06, 2019 10:36:59 am

I would play the full team for every match. Until the players wear out. When they have become fatigued and useless, I’d sell them on. I’m the no nonsense, heartless and demanding manager that everyone loves. Results, results, results. 8-0, 8-0, 8-0 >:D

If we want to win the league we can't do that for sure!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #20: Oct 06, 2019 10:44:35 am

Still managed to gain 3 points though, with Milner's late penalty.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #21: Oct 06, 2019 10:48:33 am
      I really could not care less about that game vs Arsenal
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Oct 06, 2019 12:06:08 pm
      I think we had something like 1 shot on target to their 3 or 4 and there we showed little to no urgency either. Either way, there should be an improvement this time around.

Doesn’t matter if we only had one shot and lacked urgency or if we played great and had chance after chance because the fact is we dropped points there so improvement is needed regardless of how we performed on the day.

Quick Reply