Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

7 Matches in 21 Days; Pivotal stretch of the season

Read 12445 times
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Re: 7 Matches in 21 Days; Pivotal stretch of the season
      Reply #23: Oct 06, 2019 12:18:02 pm
      Not overlooking Saturday's match with Leicester by any means, but I notice after the upcoming international break we have quite a 21-day stretch including:

• 7 matches
      • First game with United - can we get another one of their managers sacked?
      • Two Champions League games, both vs. Genk - 6 points on the cards?
      • League Cup tie vs. Arsenal - Will the kids be alright?
      • First game with Spurs - How many times will Harry Kane dive?
      • Home match vs. City and a chance to gain some serious separation in the table.

The match with Villa is the only one that doesn't really stand out but that might be the best chance of the league matches for some rotation.

It won't settle anything as far as winning trophies goes, but this is going to be a vital three weeks in writing the story of our season.

The away match against United last season was one of our draws, converting that into a win (which I'm confident we'll do) will boost our chances and also improve Klopp's performance away at the other "big six".

Whilst I think Genk are the weakest team in our group, we shouldn't underestimate them. Saying that, play at our best and we should get all six points.

For the League Cup game, play the same team as in the last round - Arsenal will probably play a weakened team too. It's a trophy we can win, but I can't see it being a massive priority for Klopp.

We won both games against Spurs last season and I hope to see that continue! They're really poor at the moment so we should take full advantage.

A 0-0 draw in the same game last season, I expect more goals in this one though. Personally, I think that the title will be won by whoever gets the most points out of the two games between us and City so winning this one will be a massive win.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24: Oct 07, 2019 12:08:50 am
      Start with two away games.United then Genk. No idea what Ole was doing letting Lukaku go. They have very little goal threat.Rashford isn't a goal scorer. He doesn't have the nose for it.Ball come into the box and he just doesn't move, expects the ball to come to him.Massive misjudgement by Ole in thinking Rashford can play central striker.

Ole said after today "the spirit is good, the effort is there"...he's kidding himself. But we don't want to thrash them.....they might sack him and we don't want that...no no....a tidy neat win will do. Then on to Belgium.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #25: Oct 07, 2019 01:10:25 am
      Very true mate ,theres a world of pain out there where Liverpool is concerned,other supporters the impartiality that the media is supposed to have disappears when a Liverpool red shirt appears ,the same comments every week they were the last team to ,he caused the penalty last time they met   , he has a great record at Anfield ,,18 unbeaten games and this is the guy who.... after City this  team have scored more goals against Liverpool   endless drivel ,every week its like they have a bunch of smart comments ready to throw at the viewer if we falter they pull them like a gunslinger pulls his gun they cant wait for the lose of a point or 3 .
      What the rest of the Premiership should be worried about is when we click into top gear and  start scoring more goals from the chances we make. . 

Spot on bud, what's the fascination with every other Team wanting us to lose or drop points. Do they continually want to see City and their money win the League?? makes me sick, the cu*ts!!!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #26: Oct 07, 2019 01:16:43 am
      I really could not care less about that game vs Arsenal

Totally agree.  I think we should rest all our main first team players.  We just don't have the squad to compete on all fronts.   We are in a fantastic position in the league we just can't jeopardize our position. 

sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #27: Oct 07, 2019 10:08:18 am
      Spot on bud, what's the fascination with every other Team wanting us to lose or drop points. Do they continually want to see City and their money win the League?? makes me sick, the cu*ts!!!

It's because City are a plastic club propped up by oil money that nobody cares if they win the league, whilst rival fans hate the idea of us winning it once more because there's a substance to Liverpool that Man City don't have.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #28: Oct 07, 2019 11:04:08 am
      Win the fekin lot.

Lets do it.

Starting with giving the mancs a spanking next game.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #29: Oct 07, 2019 03:44:47 pm

I would play the full team for every match. Until the players wear out. When they have become fatigued and useless, I’d sell them on. I’m the no nonsense, heartless and demanding manager that everyone loves. Results, results, results. 8-0, 8-0, 8-0 >:D

We should have scheduled friendlies vs. Barcelona and Real Madrid during the international break to keep our players sharp for the perfect season (schedule for the days the national teams aren't playing so we can charter a fleet of jet, fly everyone home for the game - and extra training -  and then fly them back to keep FIFA happy).

Alternatively we could orchestrate an injury-faking crisis (I mean we would fake injuries, I'm not cursing with an accent) and then have our supposedly-unfit players play the friendlies behind closed doors using assumed names like "ruthcity," "Swab" and "Scotia" so nobody would know.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #30: Oct 07, 2019 03:56:26 pm
      Win the fekin lot.

Lets do it.

Starting with giving the mancs a spanking next game.

If we were to take 10 points from 12 in the league out of this stretch of games, I think we'd have to think it was good for us. We are not going 38-0-0, so it's just realistic to think we could record our first draw in this next stretch.

Now, if we did that at home vs. City I'm of two minds about it. On one hand I like keeping them at bay in the table, but the way the season has gone to date, we really should be looking to get three points against them at home, which depending on other results, has us 11 points clear (but we will still have 26 matches remaining in the Premier League after the City match).

To me, there's no reason not to go for six points against Spurs and United, give, our form vs. theirs so far. We all know how poor United are anymore, and that Spurs team I watched Saturday was abject. Villa away could actually be trickier than we think.

We are all or mostly all agreed on here that the League Cup game vs. Arsenal is where Jürgen will rotate probably the full starting lineup - and again, inserting players like Origi, Gomez, Milner, Keita, Ox, Lovren, Shaqiri plus some kids is hardly fielding a weak side.

And as far as the Champions League matches in this stretch, NOT a time for rotation. Let's get the six points and virtually assure our qualification for the knockout rounds. No reason we should be waiting for the final group match to do that (which if we avoid it also affords Jürgen another opportunity for rotation/rest).

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Oct 07, 2019 04:10:09 pm
      If we were to take 10 points from 12 in the league out of this stretch of games, I think we'd have to think it was good for us. We are not going 38-0-0, so it's just realistic to think we could record our first draw in this next stretch.

Now, if we did that at home vs. City I'm of two minds about it. On one hand I like keeping them at bay in the table, but the way the season has gone to date, we really should be looking to get three points against them at home, which depending on other results, has us 11 points clear (but we will still have 26 matches remaining in the Premier League after the City match).

To me, there's no reason not to go for six points against Spurs and United, give, our form vs. theirs so far. We all know how poor United are anymore, and that Spurs team I watched Saturday was abject. Villa away could actually be trickier than we think.

We are all or mostly all agreed on here that the League Cup game vs. Arsenal is where Jürgen will rotate probably the full starting lineup - and again, inserting players like Origi, Gomez, Milner, Keita, Ox, Lovren, Shaqiri plus some kids is hardly fielding a weak side.

And as far as the Champions League matches in this stretch, NOT a time for rotation. Let's get the six points and virtually assure our qualification for the knockout rounds. No reason we should be waiting for the final group match to do that (which if we avoid it also affords Jürgen another opportunity for rotation/rest).

I agree with the Villa game away being the potential banana skin, didn't Villa park use to be a bit of a bogey ground for us?

I agree with resting players against Arsenal in League cup and I think we can probably rest some players in the return fixture against Genk, depending on how the first match goes.

As For Manure, Spuds and Citeh it's really hard to predict but I would say that both Manure and Spuds are going to have to play one hell of a lot better than they have been to have any chance against us. The Citeh game is to hard to call, such fine margins between two top teams but if they come at us, which they surely must do then we should have a very good chance.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #32: Oct 07, 2019 04:28:00 pm

Says who? Bet none of us imagined would only lose once last season, or imagined we’d have been on a 17 game winning streak.

Realistically I’d say it won’t happen, but at the same time, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #33: Oct 07, 2019 04:59:09 pm
      Says who? Bet none of us imagined would only lose once last season, or imagined we’d have been on a 17 game winning streak.

Realistically I’d say it won’t happen, but at the same time, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

It would be the remotest possibility, only in that there is a potential to win every match. I stand by my statement, even as I believe we will win the title, and gloriously.

Bet you'd get some great odds on running the table, though. Could be worth a tenner.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #34: Oct 07, 2019 05:58:52 pm

After we lorded it over every f**ker during the 80s, then yes they do!!
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #35: Oct 07, 2019 06:37:35 pm
      Worst Man U team for decades there for the taking but bet they'll raise their game for it as usual
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #36: Oct 07, 2019 10:41:46 pm
      Worst Man U team for decades there for the taking but bet they'll raise their game for it as usual

The thing is Utd's team and squad is much better than the results.  They have too many billy big bollocks in their team.Don't get me wrong we are miles ahead of them but there is a danger they will turn up against us because this one fixture can make true villans and hero's.  I know they are in a bad place but can remember even from the 80s these fixtures aren't decided on paper or form.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #37: Oct 07, 2019 10:53:08 pm
      Complacency may be our biggest problem. Although Jürgen will make sure their feet are firmly on the ground !
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #38: Oct 08, 2019 09:31:36 am
      The thing is Utd's team and squad is much better than the results.  They have too many billy big bollocks in their team.Don't get me wrong we are miles ahead of them but there is a danger they will turn up against us because this one fixture can make true villans and hero's.  I know they are in a bad place but can remember even from the 80s these fixtures aren't decided on paper or form.

Its effectively a derby match and form always goes out of the window but I still fancy us to win this, I just think we are so much better than them these days, in all areas of the pitch, they would have to play a hell of a lot better than recently and us worse than recently (even though we have been no where near 100% ourselves) for them to win. A draw is a possibility if they go into full on bus parking Maureen mode but I'm not convinced they have a good enough defence to keep us out, plus I think Solskjaer will be to proud and arrogant to employ such tactics against Liverpool.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #39: Oct 08, 2019 09:46:17 am
      Maintain our current PPG and we'll be grand. ;)
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #40: Oct 08, 2019 09:51:00 am
      It's the United game I'm looking at more than the City fixture. No matter how sh*te they might be it's still Man United and they'll still definitely raise their game - the team and the crowd. A convincing victory there would be invaluable, if you look at two of our recent title challenges (09 & 14) we had two convincing wins at Old Trafford and on both occasions we then went on to win 7 or 8 games on the spin afterwards.

United are still a superpower with expensive players and we'll still be playing in one of the biggest stadiums in the world - if we can embarrass them in their own backyard the confidence and self-belief in the squad will elevate even further than it already is & that momentum will be much needed for the fixtures following!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #41: Oct 08, 2019 10:00:56 am
      United are the worst theyve ever been, but would be just like them to park bus and nick a point.

But I honestly can see us winning comfortably, 2 or 3 nil, maybe more.

After that spuds at home, another tricky game, but theyre pretty poor just now too.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #42: Oct 08, 2019 11:10:13 am
      It's the United game I'm looking at more than the City fixture. No matter how sh*te they might be it's still Man United and they'll still definitely raise their game - the team and the crowd. A convincing victory there would be invaluable, if you look at two of our recent title challenges (09 & 14) we had two convincing wins at Old Trafford and on both occasions we then went on to win 7 or 8 games on the spin afterwards.

United are still a superpower with expensive players and we'll still be playing in one of the biggest stadiums in the world - if we can embarrass them in their own backyard the confidence and self-belief in the squad will elevate even further than it already is & that momentum will be much needed for the fixtures following!

The mancs are a shadow of the side you describe and panic buttons are being accessed at every level.
      Replacements for their manager are being openly discussed sighting a complete breakdown of confidence between him and the players, really cannot see anything but a win for this fixture.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #43: Oct 08, 2019 11:42:45 am
      The mancs are a shadow of the side you describe and panic buttons are being accessed at every level.
      Replacements for their manager are being openly discussed sighting a complete breakdown of confidence between him and the players, really cannot see anything but a win for this fixture.

Not denying at all that they're sh*te. They were also sh*te last season too & so were Everton but they both managed to hold us on their own turf by raising their game for the occasion and generating a hostile atmosphere.

I believe we're going to embarrass them & that people will not only look back at the game as a milestone of our title-winning season, but as an iconic footnote of when the final nail was banged into the coffin of United's reign of dominance & when Liverpool made the first big step to reclaiming their domestic perch.

I genuinely believe that is how it's going to play out - but still I'm aware that that everyone at Old Trafford that day can put all of their differences & infighting aside to give a game to the one thing they hate more than anything / body else - Us
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #44: Oct 08, 2019 12:47:20 pm
      Its effectively a derby match and form always goes out of the window but I still fancy us to win this, I just think we are so much better than them these days, in all areas of the pitch, they would have to play a hell of a lot better than recently and us worse than recently (even though we have been no where near 100% ourselves) for them to win. A draw is a possibility if they go into full on bus parking Maureen mode but I'm not convinced they have a good enough defence to keep us out, plus I think Solskjaer will be to proud and arrogant to employ such tactics against Liverpool.

A draw for them is a win at home due to the current situation of both clubs.  I hope you are right and we win comfortably.  I'm expecting a tight game 2-1.  Unless their players down tool  which has happened often lately.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #45: Oct 08, 2019 01:44:31 pm
      Definitely a must win game because they're ManU as applies to Everton.

Quick Reply