Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Adrián
      1 (0.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (2.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (0.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (1.8%)
      James Milner
      45 (39.8%)
       Fabinho
      5 (4.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      52 (46%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: Oct 09, 2019 04:54:05 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 40246 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Oct 07, 2019 03:21:46 pm
      In a nutshell mate. We can look at it through LFC lens and call it a pen because there was contact and VAR judged there was sufficient contact to affect Mane's progress.

If it was against us we would say there wasn't enough contact and the ref was conned.

We can be biased but what pisses us off it the bias is shown by Shearer & Co. When Kane dives.."He's entitled to go down etc". The inconsistency and bias is annoying.I wouldn't put any other conotation on it than that.

I quite enjoy the bias! Nothing better than seeing that grumpy feck Shearer and co getting annoyed when things go our way!

If only punditry focussed more on the tactics and goings on in the game and less on officials decisions. I find the discussion (whether on bbc or sky) completely fookin pointless.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #415: Oct 07, 2019 03:24:32 pm

"We really learned how to kick lumps out of people.

Well done to us."
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #416: Oct 07, 2019 03:33:25 pm
      Jürgen mentioned it in the post match press but he said yesterday was the best defensive display against Vardy all season. For those who saw the match did he have much success, if any (bar that chance that Adrian saved which was allegedly offside?)

Defensively a lot of us have questioned our standard in comparison to last season. But look at the table and we've conceded the least amount of goals and played systems in recent weeks that have completely shut out form men like Vardy and Abraham.

I think Lovren, who I was nervous as hell abut when I saw him listed in the Xi, deserves much of the credit for this. Where teams go wrong with Vardy I think is letting him run onto them. Lovren definitely is willing to come well out and challenge before a move really gets started. Now, he's totally gotten that wrong at times in the past few years (Spurs, United) but Saturday he just about got it all right and deserves credit for his aggressiveness and being bold enough to play that way against someone with the pace to blow past him. It was a good tactical plan overall for sure, and I thought a top performance from the midfield three (can't forget Sadio's Herculean effort in tracking back, also).

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #417: Oct 07, 2019 03:44:16 pm

Truth is Keith baby your f***in lot are sh*te, and i maybe wrong here but deep down you must be in f***in agony having to watch that sh*te week in week out,
      Good Ol Ole took on the poisonous chalice from that f***in Leech Moaney bollocks Mourinho and your going f***in backwards,

The only ones diving mate are your lot, diving into oblivion,  and you know what mate, you've sunk that far down there ain't a top class manager worth his old salty ball juice will want to take that job on, anywhere, 
      Oh how the mighty have fallen, I bet you can't wait to face us after the Int break, We certainly are, suck it up buttercup, your lot are fu**ed, now ain't that the truth, with or without the red tints.

YNWA
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #418: Oct 07, 2019 04:32:06 pm

Truth is Keith baby your f***in lot are sh*te, and i maybe wrong here but deep down you must be in f***in agony having to watch that sh*te week in week out,
      Good Ol Ole took on the poisonous chalice from that f***in Leech Moaney bollocks Mourinho and your going f***in backwards,

The only ones diving mate are your lot, diving into oblivion,  and you know what mate, you've sunk that far down there ain't a top class manager worth his old salty ball juice will want to take that job on, anywhere, 
      Oh how the mighty have fallen, I bet you can't wait to face us after the Int break, We certainly are, suck it up buttercup, your lot are fu**ed, now ain't that the truth, with or without the red tints.

YNWA

Billy you know I don't wear rose tinted glasses mate. Course I'm hurting and talking football isn't easy at moment for the reasons you point out which I agree entirely.

Dreading the Liverpool game even though our record against you exceptional good over the last 4/5 years. There's definitely no hiding places when you lads come to Old Trafford this year. You and your fans deserve to take the p!ss out of us as if rolls were reversed I would do the same with my fellow Scouse mates.

It's a great time to be a Liverpool fan and I for one can't knock how well their playing. As a manc I can only hope/pray the wheels fall off but very much doubt it. I'm in for some stick when I see my Scouse poker mates tomorrow  ;D

I've already told them if/when you win league I'm blocking them all for 3 months  :lmao:
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2019 05:22:27 pm by Keith Singleton »
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #419: Oct 07, 2019 05:08:43 pm
      I think Lovren, who I was nervous as hell abut when I saw him listed in the Xi, deserves much of the credit for this. Where teams go wrong with Vardy I think is letting him run onto them. Lovren definitely is willing to come well out and challenge before a move really gets started. Now, he's totally gotten that wrong at times in the past few years (Spurs, United) but Saturday he just about got it all right and deserves credit for his aggressiveness and being bold enough to play that way against someone with the pace to blow past him. It was a good tactical plan overall for sure, and I thought a top performance from the midfield three (can't forget Sadio's Herculean effort in tracking back, also).

Lovren is also pretty full blooded when the ball is in the air, even when he is off form you always get that from him where as youing Gomez is less aggressive in the air. I was hoping for Lovren ahead of Gomez for this one but am sure Matip will be back in for the game at toilet.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #420: Oct 07, 2019 07:17:40 pm
      Billy you know I don't wear rose tinted glasses mate. Course I'm hurting and talking football isn't easy at moment for the reasons you point out which I agree entirely.

Dreading the Liverpool game even though our record against you exceptional good over the last 4/5 years. There's definitely no hiding places when you lads come to Old Trafford this year. You and your fans deserve to take the p!ss out of us as if rolls were reversed I would do the same with my fellow Scouse mates.

It's a great time to be a Liverpool fan and I for one can't knock how well their playing. As a manc I can only hope/pray the wheels fall off but very much doubt it. I'm in for some stick when I see my Scouse poker mates tomorrow  ;D

I've already told them if/when you win league I'm blocking them all for 3 months  :lmao:

Very Honourable of you Keith, fair play to you, you are of course correct regarding the ribbing of respective fans, We had it for years from Manc fans but also from the pro Manc media too, still there to a extent although it seems to be from the blue persuasion more so than from the red.

Kudos to you for being honest.

YNWA
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #421: Oct 08, 2019 01:24:18 pm
      Agreed Robby.  I gave him my man of the match as he was solid as a rock all game. Has taken a lot of stick in the past (plenty of it deserved) so deserves credit for a very good performance with so few appearances under his belt.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #422: Oct 08, 2019 03:54:01 pm
      Love those kind of finishes (when they go your way). Get the sh*t in there!

Cannot wait to smash the scum to bits!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #423: Oct 08, 2019 07:02:23 pm
      https://twitter.com/i/status/1180511557559697409   

C'mon really,dude's F***ing texting!?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #424: Oct 09, 2019 10:46:31 am
      When you look back at this game and the stats, we actually played very well. could have won by 3 or 4.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #425: Oct 09, 2019 02:18:51 pm
      When you look back at this game and the stats, we actually played very well. could have won by 3 or 4.

I always watch the game again the following day, and we really did play pretty well.

According to the press of course, we "got out of jail" with a soft pen, but the truth is quite different.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #426: Oct 09, 2019 03:08:29 pm
      I always watch the game again the following day, and we really did play pretty well.

According to the press of course, we "got out of jail" with a soft pen, but the truth is quite different.

Yes we dominated but yet again we wasted a lot of good chances, we have to become more clinical otherwise some of these squeaky wins will become draws or even losses. I'm sure the return of Allison will help as well.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #427: Oct 09, 2019 03:35:21 pm
      Yes we dominated but yet again we wasted a lot of good chances, we have to become more clinical otherwise some of these squeaky wins will become draws or even losses. I'm sure the return of Allison will help as well.

Not picking on your statement here because it is such a common thought (and I've done it too), but that cliche of being more clinical always seems to exaggerate the difficulty of scoring goals at a high level of competition.

Yes. We did miss a number of chances (said it myself earlier) but if we think about it, how many games are there where a team scores, say....FIVE goals. I bet the percentage is under 10 percent of all Premier League games over 380 total games in a season or over five years, 10 years or 20 years. But then, how many games are there during those time spans where one team or the other controls play for a reasonable majority of the time, or maybe at least a 60/40 advantage?  That number is going to be a lot higher, yeah? SO I think even allowing for some egregious misses, the percentage of chances converted is typically going to be lower than we think it is.

A couple of anecdotal, mitigating factors to this:

1. The occurrence of managers or players (or fans) say: 'We dominated" in a game where they really didn't,  seems epidemic in the Premier League. Domination is me wrestling a 5-year old child. Most of what goes on in high-level football isn't "domination," but it may be one team carrying the play. We do that a lot (but it doesn't always result in a wave of goals - true for every team). Remember here that carrying the play usually means the other team aren't getting many chances to score, so it still has value without it bringing all those goals.

2. Chances that commentators call "easy" chances or one that brings the "should have scored" reflex, I am convinced are often not that easy. Mostly it's a matter of opinion. We all can think of a nightmare miss or two (Peter Van Vossen against Celtic is always the first that pops into my mind. But a lot of other chances are not nearly as easy. I think often we do better to say someone "could" have scored than that they "should" have.

Bottom line is it's harder to actually score a goal than it is to sit in the press gantry or on the sofa and say someone should have scored one.

Here's that Van Vossen miss for the unitiated. Walter Smith's expression afterward makes it complete.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqBK2efZ5TU
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #428: Oct 09, 2019 04:43:03 pm

2. Chances that commentators call "easy" chances or one that brings the "should have scored" reflex, I am convinced are often not that easy. Mostly it's a matter of opinion. We all can think of a nightmare miss or two (Peter Van Vossen against Celtic is always the first that pops into my mind. But a lot of other chances are not nearly as easy. I think often we do better to say someone "could" have scored than that they "should" have.

Bottom line is it's harder to actually score a goal than it is to sit in the press gantry or on the sofa and say someone should have scored one.

Sorry to pick just one part of a good post, but this really is an excellent point.

I think people forget sometimes just how fine the margins are, not only when it comes to scoring, but all over the pitch.
      All it takes is for a bounce to be not quite as expected, a bobble, even the wind just moving the ball a fraction, simply because the game at this level is played at such a ferociousy high pace, with defenders coming in, knocking the player, getting a nudge or a toe on the boot; in short, loads of things.

It's easy to watch the slow motion and say "he should have buried that", but the reality is different, not least because TV cameras distort so many things.
      I know we expect these guys to be able to do it, just because they're pro's and playing at the highest level, but probably the best example was the free kick competition video.
      There's Gomez, getting 5/5 then TAA (I think) quite rightly says "yeah, but he's passing it in, try doing that with a keeper there"

Look at Moreno scoring a rabona from a corner in practice, or any other one of a hundred video's you can watch with players doing incredible things, that never happen in matches, because they don't have the time.

The wonder is not that players miss, it's that they score the number of goals they do, given all the factors involved.

Here's a cracking miss from Ronny Rosenthal
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ0Zyj4pYnc
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #429: Oct 13, 2019 08:59:17 pm
      Quote from JD
      Thought we might not win a Premier League game then.

Silly me.

Plenty of character and mentality on display today.  The rumours of James Milner's demise were, once again, over-exaggerated.

Why have we not got a song for him yet? Should we write one for him here, or let the lads in the Sandon do the job?

Quote from fields of anny rd
      Dont like all the cynical fouls in the game to stop counters but with the rules as they are (yellow card) coaches, players and teams will continue to do it.

With that being the case I wish we would do it more often ourselves. Not to the degree of Choudary on Mo, but enough to stop a counter attack at the source.

We do. He's called Fabinho. Starting to worry about the yellow cards he's collecting, hope they don't keep him out of a big game. There's tactical fouls, and then there's wild out of control hacks like the one by Hairbag on Salah. Just as well there's 15 days until the next game, he'll need every one of them to recover in time for the annual trip to the toxic dump.

The penalty was of course, a stonewall. There's no way VAR is going to overturn that. Pity we didn't have it when Keita's foot was stamped upon, the last time we played them. Could have won us 99 points by May 12. This time we didn't drop any, and we deserved the win. We had to wait a bit longer than we would have liked to get the winner, but better late than never.

At least, when we come back from the trip to the toxic dump, we'll still be top of the league. Anything more and we'll be laughing. And hopefully Sean Cox will be at the next home game, that will be worth the admission alone.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #430: Oct 14, 2019 01:00:00 pm
      Not picking on your statement here because it is such a common thought (and I've done it too), but that cliche of being more clinical always seems to exaggerate the difficulty of scoring goals at a high level of competition.

Yes. We did miss a number of chances (said it myself earlier) but if we think about it, how many games are there where a team scores, say....FIVE goals. I bet the percentage is under 10 percent of all Premier League games over 380 total games in a season or over five years, 10 years or 20 years. But then, how many games are there during those time spans where one team or the other controls play for a reasonable majority of the time, or maybe at least a 60/40 advantage?  That number is going to be a lot higher, yeah? SO I think even allowing for some egregious misses, the percentage of chances converted is typically going to be lower than we think it is.

A couple of anecdotal, mitigating factors to this:

1. The occurrence of managers or players (or fans) say: 'We dominated" in a game where they really didn't,  seems epidemic in the Premier League. Domination is me wrestling a 5-year old child. Most of what goes on in high-level football isn't "domination," but it may be one team carrying the play. We do that a lot (but it doesn't always result in a wave of goals - true for every team). Remember here that carrying the play usually means the other team aren't getting many chances to score, so it still has value without it bringing all those goals.

Here's that Van Vossen miss for the unitiated. Walter Smith's expression afterward makes it complete.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqBK2efZ5TU

Wow that was a howler.

I fully agree that chances are probably harder than they look on TV due to the quality and speed of defenders closing them down etc but then again these are the best footballers on the planet who east sleep and drink football from a very young age. A striker one on one with a keeper should score 9 times out of 10 in my opinion, that same striker should be able to lay off a simple pass to a colleague 9 times out of 10.
      I will maintain that we are very wasteful with the chances we create, but the key thing is that we create chances, as long as you do that then there is room for optimism.

Quick Reply