Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

If you had a choice

Read 8955 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: If you had a choice
      Reply #23: Oct 10, 2019 02:21:07 pm
      League.

No brainer.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #24: Oct 10, 2019 02:31:05 pm
      Ignoring the fun little cups vs competition that includes lesser divisions and limiting the discussion to PL vs CL, and for discussion purposes, accepting that "all in" for the PL means sacrificing some CL revenue.......

For me, the questions become: How much money are you willing to sacrifice to hoist the PL trophy and are you willing to jeopardize longer term team success because of less revenue taken in because CL ambitions were set aside?

Removing the emotional component of wanting to dispatch the MNC evil empire, crush every English rival, and claim British supremacy, myself, along with just about every owner of a PL team would choose Champions League triumph over PL victory.
      Last season, Pochettino revealed the hidden truth that teams prioritize CL play and the obvious reason is enormous fees.
      The bounty that comes from CL success is too substantial to discard and it ensures a financial resource advantage when it comes to competing vs most PL rivals.

Simple facts: The difference between bowing out in the group stage vs lifting the CL trophy was 45 mill last year and this is not factoring in other revenues available in the CL fee formula.

Is a PL trophy worth 45 mill sacrifice?

Most local fans would likely scream "hell yeah" but under their breath whisper "it's not my money so what do I care."
      The bean counters on the other hand, even with their best efforts to monetize their PL winner, know full well the real cost of of abandoning CL ambitions for that elusive PL trophy.

Look at the narrowing financial gap between LFC and Man City over the past 2 years primarily because of LFC's deep CL runs and Man City's failures.

Understand, Barcelona's wild overspending for Coutinho set up LFC for the short and medium term but continued Champions League windfalls will be key in sustaining LFC's success, not PL trophies. Unless you want to keep selling stars and replenishing PL and CL rivals in order to fund LFC's roster, CL revenues are essential. Can LFC fans be happy their club's Raheem Sterling sale has fortified Man City over the past several years? Sorry.....it has... and LFC was a willing accomplice (along with Sterling)

More numbers:

The financial difference between finishing 1st or 2nd in the PL is 3 million 
      The financial difference between finishing 1st and 5th in the PL is 7.5 million
      In other words....success in the PL does not reflect on the bottom line in a meaningful way

On the other hand....

Real Madrid, because of their long term success in CL, gets a check for 32 mill just for qualifying for CL because of their #1 coefficient ranking....a coefficient earned because RM is all in every year, never having to make hard decisions of which trophies to challenge for because of this substantial and recurring CL annuity that helps fund their deep, all star roster (until this year  :laugh: )

Bottom line:
      For the question posed, I choose CL money over a PL trophy with the long term goal of creating a team that accomplishes both.
      LFC could very well be there right now....but that was not the question posed

And besides, Champion of Europe > Champion of England .....isn't it?  ;D
      Guess it depends where you live  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #25: Oct 10, 2019 02:35:35 pm
      Nah F**k that sh*te above.

Give me the league title.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #26: Oct 10, 2019 02:40:50 pm
      The Premier League and Champions League double.

But if I had to choose from the options given, obviously the league title. I think that is a no brainer. 30 years without the league if we don't win it this season.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #27: Oct 10, 2019 03:39:54 pm
      Ignoring the fun little cups vs competition that includes lesser divisions and limiting the discussion to PL vs CL, and for discussion purposes, accepting that "all in" for the PL means sacrificing some CL revenue.......

For me, the questions become: How much money are you willing to sacrifice to hoist the PL trophy and are you willing to jeopardize longer term team success because of less revenue taken in because CL ambitions were set aside?

Removing the emotional component of wanting to dispatch the MNC evil empire, crush every English rival, and claim British supremacy, myself, along with just about every owner of a PL team would choose Champions League triumph over PL victory.
      Last season, Pochettino revealed the hidden truth that teams prioritize CL play and the obvious reason is enormous fees.
      The bounty that comes from CL success is too substantial to discard and it ensures a financial resource advantage when it comes to competing vs most PL rivals.

Simple facts: The difference between bowing out in the group stage vs lifting the CL trophy was 45 mill last year and this is not factoring in other revenues available in the CL fee formula.

Most local fans would likely scream "hell yeah" but under their breath whisper "it's not my money so what do I care."
      The bean counters on the other hand, even with their best efforts to monetize their PL winner, know full well the real cost of of abandoning CL ambitions for that elusive PL trophy.

Look at the narrowing financial gap between LFC and Man City over the past 2 years primarily because of LFC's deep CL runs and Man City's failures.

Understand, Barcelona's wild overspending for Coutinho set up LFC for the short and medium term but continued Champions League windfalls will be key in sustaining LFC's success, not PL trophies. Unless you want to keep selling stars and replenishing PL and CL rivals in order to fund LFC's roster, CL revenues are essential. Can LFC fans be happy their club's Raheem Sterling sale has fortified Man City over the past several years? Sorry.....it has... and LFC was a willing accomplice (along with Sterling)

More numbers:

In other words....success in the PL does not reflect on the bottom line in a meaningful way

On the other hand....

Real Madrid, because of their long term success in CL, gets a check for 32 mill just for qualifying for CL because of their #1 coefficient ranking....a coefficient earned because RM is all in every year, never having to make hard decisions of which trophies to challenge for because of this substantial and recurring CL annuity that helps fund their deep, all star roster (until this year  :laugh: )

Bottom line:
      For the question posed, I choose CL money over a PL trophy with the long term goal of creating a team that accomplishes both.

As I thought.

Not only are you not a real fan, you have absolutely zero idea of how much winning the league means in terms of revenue that it generates.
      The Premier League is perhaps the most prestigious league in the world.
      Every champion see's sales of merchandise rocket.
      The prize money on offer is dwarfed by merchandise sales.

And that's only if you want to reduce it to money, which you seem to do with everything.

The emotional value of winning the league, for true fans, far outweighs any financial considerations, but I wouldn't expect you to understand that.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #28: Oct 10, 2019 03:47:08 pm
      The wait for the Premier league is far too long
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #29: Oct 10, 2019 03:55:44 pm

More numbers:

On the other hand....

Bottom line:

~

Biggest wool shout I've ever heard
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #30: Oct 10, 2019 04:09:07 pm

More numbers:

On the other hand....

Bottom line:

Blah blah blah

Don't care, I still want the League title! ;-)

plus your calculations are way oversimplified for example you have no consideration of the extra revenue a League winner will make in terms of extra merchandising etc. Plus what is the monetary cost of losing in the quarters or semi compared to winning the CL, that is a more realistic calculation.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #31: Oct 10, 2019 04:14:37 pm
      If you could align the stars.......

Would you choose a premier league and league cup double..or champions league number 7 and a fa cup double ??

Wouldn't say no to a Quadruple.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #32: Oct 10, 2019 04:18:04 pm
      As I thought.

Not only are you not a real fan, you have absolutely zero idea of how much winning the league means in terms of revenue that it generates.
      The Premier League is perhaps the most prestigious league in the world.
      Every champion see's sales of merchandise rocket.
      The prize money on offer is dwarfed by merchandise sales.

And that's only if you want to reduce it to money, which you seem to do with everything.

The emotional value of winning the league, for true fans, far outweighs any financial considerations, but I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

I think if we do win the champions league over the league, it would make sence to leave the cup for the parade & instead bring a big print out of the club's account statement on the open top bus so all of the fans could celebrate the profits we've made that season. Chants of "Are you watching, Manchester?" echoing from the Albert Dock as thousands of reds wave their Official LFC novelty chequebooks in the air
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #33: Oct 10, 2019 04:19:39 pm
      For me, the questions become: How much money are you willing to sacrifice to hoist the PL trophy

The Archbishop of Banterbury.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #34: Oct 10, 2019 04:31:04 pm
      I'd take the league and carabao over the other 2. But if its fa cup carabao cup and number 7 then that's tricky
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #35: Oct 10, 2019 04:35:33 pm
      I think if we do win the champions league over the league, it would make sence to leave the cup for the parade & instead bring a big print out of the club's account statement on the open top bus so all of the fans could celebrate the profits we've made that season. Chants of "Are you watching, Manchester?" echoing from the Albert Dock as thousands of reds wave their Official LFC novelty chequebooks in the air

Yep, and make sure no one is selling knock off novelty chequebooks.
      Only "official" ones with a 5000% markup

The club could use the prize money to clone Borg, and the clones could police the novelty chequebook market.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36: Oct 10, 2019 04:36:50 pm
      I'd take the league and carabao over the other 2. But if its fa cup carabao cup and number 7 then that's tricky

Dead simple for me.

The League takes precedence over everything else until that monkey is off our backs.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #37: Oct 10, 2019 04:48:23 pm
      Yep, and make sure no one is selling knock off novelty chequebooks.
      Only "official" ones with a 5000% markup

The club could use the prize money to clone Borg, and the clones could police the novelty chequebook market.

My dad used to tell me of the profits Liverpool used to turn in the 70s & 80s. I can't wait to tell my future kids of the profits we've turned in this generation

I always remember Shankly's famous quote - "If you have an AAA credit rating, you have an AAA credit rating. Anything lower, you are nothing"
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #38: Oct 10, 2019 05:44:06 pm
      The league!! It's been a long F***ing time since I've been able to sing Campione, Campione, Campione Liverpool.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #39: Oct 10, 2019 05:46:46 pm

More numbers:

On the other hand....

Bottom line:

*What the F***ing hell is that?

*haven't sung that in a while either!!
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #40: Oct 10, 2019 08:21:34 pm
      Without a doubt the Carabo Cup for me...................... .....fcuk that, the trophy we all want as a true Red has to be the League title.
      It has been too long, number 19 every time for me, then 20,21...................................................and so on..........
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #41: Oct 10, 2019 08:47:24 pm
      As much as I love the European Cup it would have to be the League given this choice.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42: Oct 11, 2019 12:18:49 am
      PL and CL double would be orgasmic!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #43: Oct 11, 2019 03:30:32 am
      Honestly can't see anyone in Europe right now who'd be favourites against us in a CL knockout stage, so might as well say i want the league because #7 is as good as in the bag.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #44: Oct 11, 2019 07:32:11 am
      Easy decision - got to be the league title. As a near 40 year supporter and the distant memory’s of the 80’s it seems like and is such a long time in the waiting. Had the most frustrating times and a few near misses in the recent past in our league campaigns and can’t wait until we get back to where we belong. The European cup has been thrilling on occasions and we’re top of the tree there so now it’s time to do the same in the league.

Thank you Jürgen for making it a possibility.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #45: Oct 11, 2019 06:03:17 pm
      Premier league title all day f***in long and twice on Sunday, however I'm a Avaricious wee Scottish b***ard and want the CL too, seriously though if you are a true Red and i believe MOST of us are then the League title stands above all others including No7,

Now, Another Wee Scot once said about the league title...

'This is our Bread & Butter' This what we thrive for each and every season,..

Nothing has changed for me, league titles all day long.

YNWA

Quick Reply