Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

If you had a choice

Read 8960 times
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Re: If you had a choice
      Reply #46: Oct 11, 2019 10:41:37 pm
      League all day long

and another choice for you guys hahahaha

win the League or manure along with blue noses to get relegated
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #47: Oct 12, 2019 01:35:36 am
      League all day long

and another choice for you guys hahahaha

win the League or manure along with blue noses to get relegated

Us winning the league and the blueshite getting relegated would be the perfect double!!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #48: Oct 12, 2019 01:36:17 am
      Don’t even get why this is even a question to pose to us true Liverpool fans.
      It’s clearly the premier league.
      I would happily not progress through the group phase of the champions league, bow out against Arsenal in the league cup and endure a humiliating loss to a non league club in the FA cup if it meant we finally got ahold of the league trophy and start to pull back and overtake United’s current haul.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #49: Oct 13, 2019 08:58:08 pm
      Quote from Borg
      And besides, Champion of Europe > Champion of England .....isn't it?  ;D
      Guess it depends where you live  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

No it doesn't. It depends on the challenge involved.

If we accept that the biggest clubs are expected to get to the quarter finals of the European Cup minimum, that gives them 5 games to win the European Cup over 6-8 weeks. Depending on the draw, you could get e.g. City in the quarter finals, or you could score in 5 minutes against Porto and win 6-1.

To win this league, means being the most consistent team over 38 games in 9-10 months, against all types of teams, in all kinds of conditions, and not always with the strongest team. Games can be played at lunchtime and the next one nearer bedtime. Some can be played in 30c or -3c. Others can be played after a 2 week break, or during Christmas with less than 48 hours between them. All kinds of banana skins in the way to deal with.

The domestic league is always harder to win and carries greater reward. That's not saying that we should ignore the European Cup. The biggest clubs try to win everything they enter, and so should we.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #50: Oct 14, 2019 09:11:27 am
      No it doesn't. It depends on the challenge involved.

If we accept that the biggest clubs are expected to get to the quarter finals of the European Cup minimum, that gives them 5 games to win the European Cup over 6-8 weeks. Depending on the draw, you could get e.g. City in the quarter finals, or you could score in 5 minutes against Porto and win 6-1.

To win this league, means being the most consistent team over 38 games in 9-10 months, against all types of teams, in all kinds of conditions, and not always with the strongest team. Games can be played at lunchtime and the next one nearer bedtime. Some can be played in 30c or -3c. Others can be played after a 2 week break, or during Christmas with less than 48 hours between them. All kinds of banana skins in the way to deal with.

The domestic league is always harder to win and carries greater reward. That's not saying that we should ignore the European Cup. The biggest clubs try to win everything they enter, and so should we.

I think the European Cup is still the biggest prize in club football. If you look across Europe, it's not uncommon for managers to be seen as "failures" for winning their domestic league but not the European Cup. Some of this will be down to boardroom pressure because of the financial rewards for winning the European Cup but a lot of supporters will definitely feel the same way. Barca have walked the league last few seasons but there's been a lot of unrest in the support because of their failure to win a European Cup in that time.

I think if you'd have asked our supporters at the start of the 2005 season if they'd prefer the European Cup or the league, I imagine the majority would have went for the European Cup. It's just that we're now at a stage where we haven't won it in so long it's became a running joke & a monkey on our back.

Another difference between the two is that I'd say it's easier to buy a league title than a European Cup. You can go out and spend millions on a squad and there's a good chance you'll win the league as things like injuries & fatigue won't really have an effect due to the size and quality of the squad. European Cup is a different kettle of fish, evening games, different countries, different atmospheres. That's why your PSGs & Man Citys are often like a rabbit in the headlights because they're used to steamrolling their way past teams in the league & get quite a shock once they realize that playing in Naples or Liverpool doesn't have the same feel as a saturday afternoon domestic game
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #51: Oct 19, 2019 08:41:49 pm
      If you asked me in 2005, if I prefer one trophy over another, I couldn't choose. It's like asking me to choose between one family member over another. Clubs that prefer to win the European Cup, are usually those who could start a league season on -10 points, and still walk it. But I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how many trophies we have in the past 15 years, in comparison to Barcelona etc.

But it's much easier to win the European Cup now than it was in the Paisley era. We lost 4 games in it last year, yet still won it. You couldn't do that in the Dalglish days. One mistake in a knockout tie, and it usually was, see you next year..if you won your league.

I take every game we play seriously, even pre-season friendlies. I expect us to win them, but no matter how easy they look on paper, they still have to be won on grass. I want to win everything we enter, whether it's the Charity Shield or the League Championship. That is how I grew up watching this club, building and maintaining an aura of invincibility, and that's what I want today.

Quote from billythered
      Agree  mate,
      For the most part when we have faced City we have more than held our own, I would go as far and say we have been  the better side,  last season we cancelled each other out at Anfield in a disappointing way, I thought Klopp erred on the side of caution that day instead of going for their throats,
      At the Emptihad, Kompany should have seen red, goal line technology robbed us of a goal,  Stones cleared one off the line & Salah hit the beans,

We didn't know it then but that 1-0 City win cost us the title,

As for this season's little get together I honestly can't see us losing either game, We have their measure, and i think Pep knows this too, with the gap we have already their going to have to come out and play, which will suit us very nicely

YNWA

We were 4 points clear of City after the game there last season. In hindsight, I think the draws against Leicester and West Ham were more damaging. I played them down at the time because while they were setbacks, there was still 3 months to go, and usually a couple of results don't decide your fate with 12 games to go.

That said, it's very difficult to say a team gets 97 points, yet "lost" the league.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #52: Oct 19, 2019 09:09:53 pm
      If you asked me in 2005, if I prefer one trophy over another, I couldn't choose. It's like asking me to choose between one family member over another. Clubs that prefer to win the European Cup, are usually those who could start a league season on -10 points, and still walk it. But I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how many trophies we have in the past 15 years, in comparison to Barcelona etc.

But it's much easier to win the European Cup now than it was in the Paisley era. We lost 4 games in it last year, yet still won it. You couldn't do that in the Dalglish days. One mistake in a knockout tie, and it usually was, see you next year..if you won your league.

I take every game we play seriously, even pre-season friendlies. I expect us to win them, but no matter how easy they look on paper, they still have to be won on grass. I want to win everything we enter, whether it's the Charity Shield or the League Championship. That is how I grew up watching this club, building and maintaining an aura of invincibility, and that's what I want today.

We were 4 points clear of City after the game there last season. In hindsight, I think the draws against Leicester and West Ham were more damaging. I played them down at the time because while they were setbacks, there was still 3 months to go, and usually a couple of results don't decide your fate with 12 games to go.

That said, it's very difficult to say a team gets 97 points, yet "lost" the league.

I think you're quite wrong there. It may be easier to gain access to the competition in that you don't have to be champions to be in the competition. But the fact is, the competition is of a much higher standard for including the best sides from England, Spain and Italy.

The losses we succumbed to last season said as much about the quality of the teams competing than anything. In fact, I'd say only the loss to Red Star was the only real sticking point when you consider our other losses came against PSG, Napoli and Barcelona away. If anything you've just gone and disproved the point that it's 'easier' to win than in the old days.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #53: Oct 20, 2019 07:20:47 am
      This should be no brainer for all. The f***in league!!!
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #54: Oct 20, 2019 07:30:41 am
      PL = CL > FA-Cup > League-Cup

No. 7 or No. 19, both have the same Level for me.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #55: Oct 20, 2019 10:21:18 am
      Whatever permutation you go with, for me it has to include the Prem.
      The domestic cups allow for local fans without the finances or time to travel, to possibly get the opportunity to see their team in a final, at a relatively local location.
      For me, I have to go with the Prem and ole big ears again.
      Aside of that, win the F***ing lot 😈
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #56: Oct 20, 2019 10:30:03 am
      Were due a league win, its been too long, its that simple.

But there absolutely every chance we will win more than just 1 this season, league and champions league double would be freakin awesome man. ;D

Quick Reply