Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pre-Match: Man United v Liverpool Sunday 20th October 16:30KO

Read 48233 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Man United v Liverpool Sunday 20th October 16:30KO
      Reply #69: Oct 14, 2019 10:39:35 pm
      I think (or hope) that our current crew aren't likely to be nervous or overly-motivated or whatever it is about playing United. Trent maybe the player in the squad most susceptible to this as he will know better than most what it means to the supporters, etc. (probably Henderson included here), but I think the group's mentality is such that nobody will be influenced by this, instead we'll turn in a professionally passionate (like a hooker) performance and show all the first needed without letting emotions cloud judgment, etc.

Is there any chance Joel Matip is back for this?

Nothing I can find about Matip.
      I guess we'll find out when Klopp does a presser.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #70: Oct 14, 2019 10:52:08 pm
      First off, it's not an opinion, it's a fact.
      That's how we play.
      Klopp has spoken about it many times, as have other people.

Secondly, your opinion doesn't trump the facts, and you need to understand that.

You can ignore the facts all you want, it still won't make them any less true.

And last of all, it's not a crime to understand how we play.
      If you don't want to, that's cool, it's your call, but on a football forum, you should expect to be engaged if you don't understand the basics of our system.

Ah but I do understand how we play please dont condescend me.  I have never ever engaged saying anything different but if you think that just because we play that way yet our Midfielders have no need to contribute with goals then that's cool .
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #71: Oct 15, 2019 11:28:20 am
      I do expect us to win, but I also expected us to win in February this year and we dropped a couple of crucial points in the title race (as we then did away at Everton). 

When we play Everton and now for United too, lets be honest here, all the pressure is on us.  If they get anything out of these games its a bonus for them.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #72: Oct 15, 2019 11:58:32 am
      Why do we need more goals? Aren’t we winning every game?

Yes but often only by 1 goal with plenty of nervy moments, why would you object to the midfield scoring more goals???
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #73: Oct 15, 2019 12:03:42 pm
      First off, it's not an opinion, it's a fact.
      That's how we play.
      Klopp has spoken about it many times, as have other people.

Secondly, your opinion doesn't trump the facts, and you need to understand that.

You can ignore the facts all you want, it still won't make them any less true.

And last of all, it's not a crime to understand how we play.
      If you don't want to, that's cool, it's your call, but on a football forum, you should expect to be engaged if you don't understand the basics of our system.

So do you think Klopp specifically tells the midfielders not to score goals and instead focus on creating chances for the forwards? In that case he must be pissed off when the midfielders do try and shoot and invariably either fire it over or straight at the keeper.
      I find it bizarre that you'd argue that the midfielders should not be scoring goals, from my pov the more angles of attack a team have the more deadly they are, its one of the reasons why City are so incredibly successful, the fact that everyone in midfield, and attack, are capable of scoring and do so. It makes it a nightmare to defend against as opposed to facing us where yes you have 3 brilliant forwards but you are fairly safe in the knowledge that Trent, Robbo and the midfield trio pose no immediate threat on goal.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #74: Oct 15, 2019 01:07:44 pm
      Ah but I do understand how we play please dont condescend me.  I have never ever engaged saying anything different but if you think that just because we play that way yet our Midfielders have no need to contribute with goals then that's cool .

Who said "don't contribute"?

The whole point here is that we are scoring, for the last 2 seasons, a sh*t ton of goals.
      And yet we "need more goals from midfield"?

It's just such a silly argument.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #75: Oct 15, 2019 01:33:53 pm
      Yes but often only by 1 goal with plenty of nervy moments, why would you object to the midfield scoring more goals???

This is what gets you into so much conflict here, those subtle changes in meaning/words used like the idea that he "objects" to midfielders scoring goals, as if London Red was grinding his teeth in unhappiness when Gini scored the equalizer vs. Barcelona. You know he said no such thing, and you come on here and make these false arguments. When people disagree, they should never have to change what the other person has said.

You do it again here w Swab:

So do you think Klopp specifically tells the midfielders not to score goals and instead focus on creating chances for the forwards? In that case he must be pissed off when the midfielders do try and shoot and invariably either fire it over or straight at the keeper.
      I find it bizarre that you'd argue that the midfielders should not be scoring goals, from my pov the more angles of attack a team have the more deadly they are, its one of the reasons why City are so incredibly successful, the fact that everyone in midfield, and attack, are capable of scoring and do so. It makes it a nightmare to defend against as opposed to facing us where yes you have 3 brilliant forwards but you are fairly safe in the knowledge that Trent, Robbo and the midfield trio pose no immediate threat on goal.

Come on man! You know he's not saying that Jürgen tells players to not score if a chance falls their way. He's talking about our system as a major determining factor in goal totals for our team. You watch the games and it is apparent. Yes, midfielder have some scoring chances, but the chances weigh heavily toward the forwards and the outside backs. Remember two seasons ago how often we'd get caught on the break, and how many high-scoring games we had (both teams)? Then last season we started dealing with things on our end much better. Yes, some better players in the back helped with that, but watch the midfielders in our games. Just watch them.

But again, don't bear false witness. He has never said Jürgen tells midfielders, "don't score." and saying that in a debate really hurts credibility. Disagree about what you see if you choose to, but don't misrepresent.
      « Last Edit: Oct 15, 2019 01:43:38 pm by Robby The Z »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #76: Oct 15, 2019 02:38:59 pm
      This is what gets you into so much conflict here, those subtle changes in meaning/words used like the idea that he "objects" to midfielders scoring goals, as if London Red was grinding his teeth in unhappiness when Gini scored the equalizer vs. Barcelona. You know he said no such thing, and you come on here and make these false arguments. When people disagree, they should never have to change what the other person has said.

You do it again here w Swab:
      Come on man! You know he's not saying that Jürgen tells players to not score if a chance falls their way. He's talking about our system as a major determining factor in goal totals for our team. You watch the games and it is apparent. Yes, midfielder have some scoring chances, but the chances weigh heavily toward the forwards and the outside backs. Remember two seasons ago how often we'd get caught on the break, and how many high-scoring games we had (both teams)? Then last season we started dealing with things on our end much better. Yes, some better players in the back helped with that, but watch the midfielders in our games. Just watch them.

But again, don't bear false witness. He has never said Jürgen tells midfielders, "don't score." and saying that in a debate really hurts credibility. Disagree about what you see if you choose to, but don't misrepresent.

Actually I know no such thing, is it provocative, yes, but no more than an average TV Interviewer or how a certain section on here just hurl abuse at me, although curiously I don't see you leaping to my defence when that happens, I wonder why ;-).
      The parts you have highlighted are the only natural conclusions I can reach when someone says they are happy with how our midfield play and how many goals they score.

if I am misrepresenting someone's views then I apologise and I'm very happy to enter into a more detailed discussion on it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #77: Oct 15, 2019 02:45:33 pm
      Who said "don't contribute"?

The whole point here is that we are scoring, for the last 2 seasons, a sh*t ton of goals.
      And yet we "need more goals from midfield"?

It's just such a silly argument.

Do you know who scores more than us? That's right its City and do you know why they score more than us? In my opinion its largely because that entire team carry a goal threat including the whole of the midfield. I find it beyond silly that you don't think we could benefit from even more goals coming from our midfield, by the way if that is not what you are saying then I apologise.

Put yourself in the shoes of a defender, what would be harder to defend against 3 forwards or 3 forwards plus 3 midfielders plus 2 wingback? Of course the bulk of goals should come from the forwards, as it does for City, but adding that extra goal threat from midfield would make us even more dangerous. In the case of how we play it would take a very small adjustment to make our midfielders more attack orientated and I don't think it would compromise our style of play at all.
      rossyred

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #78: Oct 15, 2019 03:24:00 pm
      Matip, Mo and Alisson all back in training albeit Mo training alone
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #79: Oct 15, 2019 03:57:43 pm
      I think this is going to be a scrappy match off the back of the international break though big boost having Alisson back into the fold, he can be the difference in this side getting a few more clean sheets. I would expect a similar line-up to our last match with a little bit of rotation happening during the mid-week game in Belgium. Though ManU are not a good as they were in previous years I think a win at Old Trafford will be a great momentum boost going into the next round of fixtures until the November international break, I see this period as a crucial period in the season.

----------------Alisson-----------------
      TAA-----Matip-------VvD-------Robbo
      ------Gini------Fabinho---Milner------
      Salah----------Firmino--------Mane--

Subs: Adrian, Gomez, Lovren, Hendo, Ox, Shaqiri, Origi
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #80: Oct 15, 2019 06:06:03 pm
      I expect Naby to start this one
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #81: Oct 15, 2019 07:29:23 pm

Proper football is back, can't wait. Real chance to take the piss out of this shower of sh*te.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #82: Oct 15, 2019 08:21:24 pm

Any reason whatsoever?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #83: Oct 15, 2019 09:02:10 pm
      De Gea just been subbed off injured...

Pulled off 2 great saves before hand and looked back to his best.

Very similar to Alisson, he did it taking a goal kick and seems to have pulled something in his leg or perhaps groin.

I know hes not been as good as his usual standard but for the purposes of our match, it's good news really.
      « Last Edit: Oct 15, 2019 09:16:12 pm by fields of anny rd »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #84: Oct 15, 2019 10:28:24 pm

Very similar to Alisson, he did it taking a goal kick and seems to have pulled something in his leg or perhaps groin.

I know hes not been as good as his usual standard but for the purposes of our match, it's good news really.

He always plays a blinder against us especially at OT!

This is good news
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #85: Oct 16, 2019 08:16:24 am

On the flip side Martial is back in training apparently, he's about the only quality forward they have even though he is very hit and miss, lets hope he's a bit rusty.
      rossyred

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #86: Oct 16, 2019 08:34:40 am

This is good news

Romero is a good understudy tbf 6/7 clean sheets in prem
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #87: Oct 16, 2019 08:43:59 am
      So are we injury free from the International matches?
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,987 posts | 222 
      Reply #88: Oct 16, 2019 08:45:17 am

This is good news
      Looks like they will have a few back from injury for Sunday
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #89: Oct 16, 2019 08:50:48 am
      De Gea has got to be one of the worst goalies in the league over the last 12 - 18 months but he's prone to playing a blinder against us. Apparently this Romero is half decent but just having a gander at is Wikipedia & it doesn't look like he's played regular football now for about 5/6 seasons, so hopefully the occasion gets to him
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #90: Oct 16, 2019 09:56:42 am
      Reality check here guys, even full strength we should be beating Manure.

If the players go into this game with a positive mindset and play their normal game then we win quite easily I think.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #91: Oct 16, 2019 10:19:35 am
      No cautious approach this time please Jürgen,hit these bas**rds with everything we have please 🤓

Quick Reply