Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (8.6%)
      Virgil van dijk
      7 (12.1%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (3.4%)
      Fabinho
      10 (17.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      6 (10.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (3.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      6 (10.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      20 (34.5%)
      Naby Keita
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: Oct 21, 2019 08:39:26 pm

Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool. In game and post match discussion.

Read 47292 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool. In game and post match discussion.
      Reply #667: Oct 21, 2019 01:06:51 pm
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #668: Oct 21, 2019 01:15:38 pm
      Mate you actually advocated dropping one of our front 3 (Salah) last week if I remember rightly. Hopefully yesterday will remind a few fans just how important he is to the way we play and be a little more tolerant next time he elects to shoot instead of passing to a teammate.

"If I had my £90m striker on the bench, I won't hesitate to drop Mo."
      "Besides, I've always liked a cut throat dressing room and training environment where players threaten each other for their starting spots. There is no safe environment and players need to watch their backs constantly for teammates trying to undermine their starting positions. Likewise they should threaten their teammates too." "Players who switch off even in training will be mercilessly sold".

"I'd like to consistently buy £90m players to come in and threaten my existing players."
      "This will ensure 8-0 score line in every match."
      "Who's Mo? We've used him well. Time to be sold, as he's now down and out."  >:D >:D >:D >:D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #669: Oct 21, 2019 01:17:12 pm
      Mate you actually advocated dropping one of our front 3 (Salah) last week if I remember rightly. Hopefully yesterday will remind a few fans just how important he is to the way we play and be a little more tolerant next time he elects to shoot instead of passing to a teammate.

It's a great point Scott - he stretches teams with his relentless running in behind and although he's not as prolific as the first season that's because teams adjust to look after him.........which makes space elsewhere.

Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #670: Oct 21, 2019 01:26:19 pm
      We were poor and the ref was worse, so to come away with a point is fine.  Unbeaten, if we can keep the gap as it is then beat city that will do nicely.

YNWA
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #671: Oct 21, 2019 01:27:13 pm
      It's a great point Scott - he stretches teams with his relentless running in behind and although he's not as prolific as the first season that's because teams adjust to look after him.........which makes space elsewhere.

Imagine you've been spending a few weeks studying our front three and preparing your players on the training ground. All of a sudden Divock pops up, you'd have to readjust your tactics you spent weeks preparing for. :lmao:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #672: Oct 21, 2019 01:37:59 pm

Yes I did say Salah needed a rest, but that doesn't mean you suddenly shuffle all the other forwards and play them in positions they don't feel comfortable. I really liked the switch to 4-4-2 and I hope we play that a bit more often as it gives the team a different dynamic, it allows us to have a more attacking midfield whilst still having Trent and Robbo and bombing down the wings.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #673: Oct 21, 2019 01:40:57 pm
      "Besides, I've always liked a cut throat dressing room and training environment where players threaten each other for their starting spots. There is no safe environment and players need to watch their backs constantly for teammates trying to undermine their starting positions. Likewise they should threaten their teammates too." "Players who switch off even in training will be mercilessly sold".

"I'd like to consistently buy £90m players to come in and threaten my existing players."
      "Who's Mo? We've used him well. Time to be sold, as he's now down and out."  >:D >:D >:D >:D

I'm fairly certain the last 2 quotes are not mine, but if we are to persist with playing 3 forwards in every game then surely it makes sense to have a 4th top quality forward to cover for injuries or loss of form, I'm still to be convinced why this would be a bad idea.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #674: Oct 21, 2019 02:09:14 pm

Haha! Being a teacher I thought I was a Sarky Git but I've got nothing on you mate!

As for the points you raised I do actually believe it would have been a good idea to bring in another front 3 player in the summer but the short-sighted criticism of Salah does get my goat. 

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #675: Oct 21, 2019 02:20:48 pm
      Haha! Being a teacher I thought I was a Sarky Git but I've got nothing on you mate!

As for the points you raised I do actually believe it would have been a good idea to bring in another front 3 player in the summer but the short-sighted criticism of Salah does get my goat.

ruthcity's posts are sarcasm central, and have me in bits sometimes.

The perfect antidote to the doom and gloom merchants.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: Live: Man Utd V Liverpool
      Reply #676: Oct 21, 2019 02:22:14 pm
      Stop f**king whining.

It was a hope, not an expectation.
      I know you can tell the difference, so you're just doing this to try and get a rise.

Grow up.

Ha...what happened to the great analyst...looked through some of your posts and it's all just basic stuff..nothing wrong with that but you invariably finish your posts with..."has it sunk in yet"...or "learn the game"...and now your carping when somebody has the gall to have a pop back.

Drop your arrogant know all attitude..
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Live: Man Utd V Liverpool
      Reply #677: Oct 21, 2019 02:24:28 pm
      Ha...what happened to the great analyst...looked through some of your posts and it's all just basic stuff..nothing wrong with that but you invariably finish your posts with..."has it sunk in yet"...or "learn the game"...and now your carping when somebody has the gall to have a pop back.

Drop your arrogant know all attitude..

Yep. as I said, you're just trying to get a rise.

Grow up
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #678: Oct 21, 2019 02:28:28 pm
      We lacked the cutting edge but I'm happy with a point with how things developed.

Still top of the league and this was a point gain not two points lost.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #679: Oct 21, 2019 02:30:36 pm
      Catching up reading through the comments and just a couple of opinions to add.

I don't like the idea of changing to 442 if one of our forwards is missing. I'm not disputing we struggle at times when one of the front three are missing but that doesn't mean we should lose our identity and confuse our players with what system and role they should play.

The way we normally set up is fine. We smash teams 95% of the time. Ideally we need to sign somebody who can come in and play across the front three. We brought in shaqiri and even though technically he can be brilliant, he doesn't have the pace and energy for it to be a success.

Ox does though. I prefer ox in the central positions but I still would have started him on the right yesterday and kept mane on the left in his usual position. If things weren't working I'd have brought on divock who quite often makes an impact coming on from the bench (but struggles whenever he starts for some reason).

Only other thing to add is my thoughts on Henderson. I don't want to make a huge deal out of it because I haven't been posting on here for a while so I don't want it to look like I've just come back to blast him, but he was very poor yesterday.

His performances have definitely improved since he's been moved from the 6 role but it's games like yesterday that still frustrate me about him.

He's our captain in our biggest game of the season and he didn't leave his mark in any way. I didn't even know he was playing to be honest.

You can't compare anybody to Gerrard but if Gerrard had played yesterday we would have noticed. Whether it was a goal, a drive at their defence, a tackle, a card, anything. We would have known Steven was there and up for the fight.

In a game like yesterday then Milner would get the nod from me over Hendo every single time.

I'm not singling Hendo out though, I just noticed a few people talking about him. 7-8 lads played well below par yesterday. I just expect our captain to involve himself more when we really need him most.

Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #680: Oct 21, 2019 02:43:22 pm

Top 3 most lethal left side strikers in the world (Mane) gets shifted to the right side to make room for Origi who clearly has been instructed to be a facilitator at left wing. Two facilitators, Origi and Firmino, and a premium right footed striker being asked to play right wing.
      Inconceivable for a big team flush in cash....but here we are.
      I guess a healthy Shaqiri would have been the answer but how certain are we that Klopp has any faith in Le Petit Swiss?

The lack of starting midfield ambition continues to plague LFC, especially on the road. Think of how little the forwards touched the ball yesterday and why the offense must be initiated from the back line. Did Origi touch the ball in the 2nd half? Firmino was invisible.

On the road, Klopp has a tendency to play not to lose (refer to CL and Big 6 away contests).

This team is not posting clean sheets with any regularity and more goal scoring ambition is required. Pulling off late goal wins/ties is not a sustainable strategy. Would be nice to see a LFC mid get an assist every month or so.

Hats off to Lallana for entering the box....goods things can happen when a 4th player is allowed to push forward.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #681: Oct 21, 2019 02:44:06 pm
      Would be good to have another forward option when we have a player up front missing.  Would have liked to have a proper striker on the bench as an option, but then I also understand it's very difficult to have 5 top forwards at any club.

But it was good to see Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lallana all be able to come on and have an impact.

If a team is battling away trying to ever keep a narrow lead or a draw going against us and we can bring on three players of their quality for the final 20/30 minutes of a game it must be soul-destroying for an opposition side.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #682: Oct 21, 2019 03:07:46 pm
      F**k you VAR and F**k you too, you cheating c**t Atkinson.

How VAR doesn't pick up on that foul on Origi before they scored, is beyond me. What's the actual f**king point?

We played against 13 today so to nick a draw, when it looked like there was no chance, was a decent result in the end. Was just gutted when Ox's shot went wide, what a winner that would have been. Having said that, I still can't believe Bobby, who played liked absolute dog sh*t, hits that ball that Sadio tees up for him, so f**king soft and straight at De Poof!

Hate them Manc Cu*ts!! Jammy fucks!!!!

EDIT: I knew that C**t De Gay would play and of course Rashford decided to actually play his 1 good game a year and it's always against us...Cu*ts!!!!!

Stop moaning you scouse c**t you got a point didn't you.  :f_whistle: Yes it was a foul but Origi did him self no favours when holding the wrong leg when he went down.  :lmao: Was only clear and obvious in slow mo not real time.

Ps.. Have we found the new Howard Webb  :lmao:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #683: Oct 21, 2019 03:14:30 pm
      Stop moaning you scouse c**t you got a point didn't you.  :f_whistle: Yes it was a foul but Origi did him self no favours when holding the wrong leg when he went down.  :lmao: Was only clear and obvious in slow mo not real time.

Liverpool have dropped points in 9 of the last 47 games (19%). Atkinson has reffed them 9 times in that time, dropping points 4 times (44.4%). City have dropped points in 15 of the last 85 games (17.64%). Atkinson has reffed them 7 times, dropping points 4 times (57.14%).

BTW If that goal had gone the other way you'd have been pissed off and you know it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #684: Oct 21, 2019 03:23:27 pm
      Liverpool have dropped points in 9 of the last 47 games (19%). Atkinson has reffed them 9 times in that time, dropping points 4 times (44.4%). City have dropped points in 15 of the last 85 games (17.64%). Atkinson has reffed them 7 times, dropping points 4 times (57.14%).

BTW If that goal had gone the other way you'd have been pissed off and you know it.

Very interesting stats mate  :o Yeah of course I'd of been pissed off and like I've said though, it was a foul.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #685: Oct 21, 2019 03:32:28 pm
      Very interesting stats mate  :o Yeah of course I'd of been pissed off and like I've said though, it was a foul.

I was really annoyed not with VAR but with Atkinson because he was very poor and wanted Utd to win for sure.

It was a foul but Origi should have stayed on his feet and commit a tactical foul himself.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #686: Oct 21, 2019 04:30:51 pm
      Keita added to poll.

:action-smiley-055:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #687: Oct 21, 2019 04:38:10 pm
      Would be good to have another forward option when we have a player up front missing.  Would have liked to have a proper striker on the bench as an option, but then I also understand it's very difficult to have 5 top forwards at any club.

But it was good to see Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lallana all be able to come on and have an impact.

If a team is battling away trying to ever keep a narrow lead or a draw going against us and we can bring on three players of their quality for the final 20/30 minutes of a game it must be soul-destroying for an opposition side.

Brightest spot of the day for me, those three all looking at least decent. Hoping for better from the front three on Wednesday and next weekend.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #688: Oct 21, 2019 04:40:32 pm

Missed Salah massively yesterday, a big indicator that he is very involved in our style of play. Yesterday summed up why we very rarely drop him!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #689: Oct 21, 2019 04:43:12 pm

Or David Elleray and Mike Riley!!

Them three wankers makes up your strongest attacking line-up during the Ferguson era!!

Quick Reply