Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (8.6%)
      Virgil van dijk
      7 (12.1%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (3.4%)
      Fabinho
      10 (17.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      6 (10.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (3.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      6 (10.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      20 (34.5%)
      Naby Keita
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: Oct 21, 2019 08:39:26 pm

Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool. In game and post match discussion.

Read 47259 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool. In game and post match discussion.
      Reply #713: Oct 21, 2019 08:59:19 pm
      Harsh under the old rules David, sadly under VAR the correct ruling  :f_doh:

VAR never spotted Man U had 12 players
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #714: Oct 21, 2019 09:00:29 pm

VAR never spotted Man U had 12 players

13 including VAR  ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #715: Oct 21, 2019 09:59:52 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #716: Oct 21, 2019 11:07:07 pm

Why is anyone surprised by that anymore? Seems to be the badge of honour for Utd OOT's to see who can hate Liverpool more.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Re: Live: Man Utd V Liverpool
      Reply #717: Oct 21, 2019 11:22:45 pm
      1) wingbacks is the system utd used. They are midfielders as much as anything. Ours are attacking FB's; different system

2) all of them should've played to the whistle. However the point I was addressing remains the same.

3) nope. It's part of our system, the one you don't seem to understand.

4) Nope. They were hitting long balls to try and get in behind us, completely bypassing midfield for the simple reason we are so good at winning the ball back high up the pitch.

5) We had 68% possession. Away. At Old Trafford. There was no "ebb and flow", just them having the very occasional period of possession, which we invariably won back fairly quickly because we outnumbered them in the middle by 3 - 2, or 4 - 2 if you look at how often Firmino came deep.

6) we brought on 2 attacking mids, and one central/left mid, for 2 centre mids and one forward. It was about getting fresh legs on as much as anything.

As I said no great insight.I expect a lot lot more from someone who belittles other posters with insults like..."learn the game"..."has it sunk in yet"....to be fair some of those points do have some merit but nothing out of the ordinary.Smacks of someone trying to make out he's knows a little bit more than everybody else.

Point 1 makes no real sense..just meaningless waffle..."Firmino came deep".."it was about getting fresh legs". All a bit basic to be honest and a bit...well..boring. Get over yourself kid...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #718: Oct 21, 2019 11:32:05 pm
      I'm honestly not sure it was as bad as it's being portrayed. The amount of praise I've seen in the media for Man United doing a Stoke City impression is laughable. And whilst we didn't create many chances, United were just hanging on in the the second half, hoping to see it out, which I never thought they would.

That's one defeat in five for Klopp, at their place. He'll break his winless duck next time out.
      « Last Edit: Oct 22, 2019 08:42:52 am by Roddenberry »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #719: Oct 22, 2019 12:00:52 am

Who gives a F**k mate, was just said in anger...get off your high horse mate. Been here longer then you were born most likely!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #720: Oct 22, 2019 08:53:22 am
      Mixed feeling really but would of took a draw before a ball was kicked yes. Very surprised how we had you on the ropes in the first half but was very disappointed Ole then going defensive in the second. He just doesn't cut it with me. Old Trafford and our manager going on the back foot, holding on for a draw instead of pressing  :f_doh:

We held on for grim death, that last ten mins felt like 90 mins. He's so out of his debt for me. The draw probably keeps him his job a little long. Still think he will be gone by New Year though. (( hopefully ))

Don't ever remember you having us on the ropes in the first half. You set up really well to nullify our attacking threat but having us on the ropes would indicate you had most of the ball and were peppering our goal with chances. Apart from the goal (which arguably shouldn't have stood) I don't recall many other opportunities
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #721: Oct 22, 2019 08:59:00 am
      Who gives a f**k mate, was just said in anger...get off your high horse mate. Been here longer then you were born most likely!

Always believed referring to Man U as 'manure' was the saddest shout in football but you've smashed it right out of the park with that one :lmao:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #722: Oct 22, 2019 09:38:40 am
      Don't ever remember you having us on the ropes in the first half. You set up really well to nullify our attacking threat but having us on the ropes would indicate you had most of the ball and were peppering our goal with chances. Apart from the goal (which arguably shouldn't have stood) I don't recall many other opportunities

Yes I'd agree with this, it was more a case of us playing really sloppy and not generating chances, at no point were we really under the cosh. Man Utd defended pretty well and definitely set up to frustrate us, but were aided by us having one of our worst games of the season.

I honestly think if we played that game 5 times then we'd win the majority of them.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #723: Oct 22, 2019 09:39:46 am
      Who gives a f**k mate, was just said in anger...get off your high horse mate. Been here longer then you were born most likely!

Well said Grandad.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #724: Oct 22, 2019 09:53:02 am
      Yes I'd agree with this, it was more a case of us playing really sloppy and not generating chances, at no point were we really under the cosh. Man Utd defended pretty well and definitely set up to frustrate us, but were aided by us having one of our worst games of the season.

I honestly think if we played that game 5 times then we'd win the majority of them.

I think there's always a gray area between actually playing poorly and the opposition countering your plan. Think United did really well in that regard but we also weren't at our best.

I hate giving Henderson stick because a lot of it is unwarranted but he as pretty poor on Sunday, shitting out of a few challenges when we needed somebody to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Seems as though we've got a bit of a mental block against United as we always seem to show them too much respect at their place, I actually think Hendo was the only player on our 11 who had won at Old Trafford in a Liverpool shirt, and that was over half a decade ago now.

If the game was played at Anfield I think we'd have won comfortably but Old Trafford seems to be a different kettle of fish
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #725: Oct 22, 2019 10:24:03 am
      Haven't really got any thing to add that hasn't already been said.  Frustrating match at OT again, where we played with too much fear, conservatism (again!).

You'll never see City go there and put in such a toothless display, but, with everything going against us, we showed a bit of character & quality to get an equalizer.

The winning run comes to an end, but a stat I don't think I've heard thrown about, we're on an unbeaten run in the Prem of 26 games.

Long may it continue.

COYR!!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #726: Oct 22, 2019 10:39:18 am
      I think there's always a gray area between actually playing poorly and the opposition countering your plan. Think United did really well in that regard but we also weren't at our best.

I hate giving Henderson stick because a lot of it is unwarranted but he as pretty poor on Sunday, shitting out of a few challenges when we needed somebody to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Seems as though we've got a bit of a mental block against United as we always seem to show them too much respect at their place, I actually think Hendo was the only player on our 11 who had won at Old Trafford in a Liverpool shirt, and that was over half a decade ago now.

If the game was played at Anfield I think we'd have won comfortably but Old Trafford seems to be a different kettle of fish

Yes big mental block playing at Old Trafford, we have to stop giving them so much respect and why is Klopp constantly surprised that they play defensively if he complains they do it each time, we should set up against them the same as if we are playing Burnley or some other such team, that is their level at the moment.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #727: Oct 22, 2019 11:01:03 am
      Yes big mental block playing at Old Trafford, we have to stop giving them so much respect and why is Klopp constantly surprised that they play defensively if he complains they do it each time, we should set up against them the same as if we are playing Burnley or some other such team, that is their level at the moment.

Klopp would have been pretty sure how they were going to play long before the game, I just think it's just easier to come out and have a bit of a pop at the opposition's style in a post match interview rather than admit your own shortcomings
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #728: Oct 22, 2019 02:21:12 pm
      Always believed referring to Man U as 'manure' was the saddest shout in football but you've smashed it right out of the park with that one :lmao:

Wrong that would of been 'Chelski'

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #729: Oct 22, 2019 02:31:53 pm
      Wrong that would of been 'Chelski'

Think "Spuds" deserves an honorable mention too
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #730: Oct 22, 2019 02:48:55 pm

and the "Arse"
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #731: Oct 22, 2019 03:42:49 pm

Maybe you were watching different match   :f_tongueincheek:
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #732: Oct 22, 2019 03:42:57 pm
      Agree with you Keith, certainly not deliberate handball. Although as you say VAR has changed all that. Anyway Keith you must be quite pleased with your team's performance on the whole.

But what actually constitutes handball by an attacking player scoring a goal.

If the following occurs when a player scores a goal. The ball touches an arm/hand directly from their head/body/foot..or from a player's arm/body/foot, near by..or the ball touches arm/hand which is close to the body and does not make the body bigger.

If that is the play..if that happens prior to that player scoring a goal.....then that is NOT a free kick.

Those new handball rules were introduced this season. Other scenario's are covered where a free kick is awarded. But it's not automaticaly a free kick if the ball touches the arm/hand prior to scoring.

I believe Mane's goal under the rules should've stood and that's why I said so in this thread an hour or so after the game finished. I will say that the new rules are open to interpretation as is so often the case in football.

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf

Main changes outlined,
      « Last Edit: Oct 22, 2019 03:47:41 pm by Harrisimo »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #733: Oct 22, 2019 03:45:45 pm

Never heard it at the match, just from a few on here, Chelski was pure F***ing cringe. Can understand the manure shout, especially during that period were even tv companies stopped saying man utd and it became Manchester United.

But lay off Aussie Red, he's sound!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #734: Oct 22, 2019 04:56:05 pm
      Maybe you were watching different match   :f_tongueincheek:

If we were on the ropes how come we had more shots on target then your lot? I honestly can't remember Allison having to make a single tricky save.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #735: Oct 22, 2019 06:11:43 pm
      But what actually constitutes handball by an attacking player scoring a goal.

If the following occurs when a player scores a goal. The ball touches an arm/hand directly from their head/body/foot..or from a player's arm/body/foot, near by..or the ball touches arm/hand which is close to the body and does not make the body bigger.

If that is the play..if that happens prior to that player scoring a goal.....then that is NOT a free kick.

Those new handball rules were introduced this season. Other scenario's are covered where a free kick is awarded. But it's not automaticaly a free kick if the ball touches the arm/hand prior to scoring.

I believe Mane's goal under the rules should've stood and that's why I said so in this thread an hour or so after the game finished. I will say that the new rules are open to interpretation as is so often the case in football.

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf

Main changes outlined,

I agree with you tbh, thought the goal should have stood. It was more a case of ball to hands in my view.

Quick Reply