Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Genk?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.2%)
      Naby Keïta
      4 (4.7%)
       Fabinho
      3 (3.5%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      70 (81.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (4.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Voting closed: Oct 27, 2019 08:52:29 pm

Racing Club Genk 1-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24516 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: Racing Club Genk 1-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #230: Oct 23, 2019 11:15:11 pm
      Just goes to show how differently we view games , Ferdinand and Crouch saying he was brilliant tonight , made the goal for Ox , played a sublime no look pass for Salahs goal , the pass he played first half to Salah should have resulted in a goal , makes the ridiculous look simple.

Firmino is such a clever player his work sometimes goes unnoticed and with Mo being a bit off blob it doesn't always come to fruition.He was quality tonight. Although I would like us to have a predatory striker as back up just to have that option at the club.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #231: Oct 23, 2019 11:34:36 pm
      Not wrong. Lovren was trying to see the ball out under his control but it became 2 vs 1. I've seen Matip make enough mistakes. He's not godlike.

Fabinho did nothing despite it becoming his responsibility even before Lovren has fallen.

No one is saying Matip is godlike ffs, but it's very simple just like you're taught as a kid, when in doubt, put it out!! That was Lovren's error, instead of getting into the 2 v 1 situation, just knock it into touch and get back into position. Simples!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #232: Oct 24, 2019 12:00:37 am
      No one is saying Matip is godlike ffs, but it's very simple just like you're taught as a kid, when in doubt, put it out!! That was Lovren's error, instead of getting into the 2 v 1 situation, just knock it into touch and get back into position. Simples!!

Was a good game, entertaining to watch and Genk probably deserved that goal at the end, they were better than I expected.
      I'm also very happy for Ox and also Keita who both had good games.
      We are fully in control of the group now, if both us and Napoli win our next matches then we are as good as through.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #233: Oct 24, 2019 09:09:27 am
      Good performance, against seemingly, fairly decent side. Glad to see the Ox playing well and scoring a couple of goals.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #234: Oct 24, 2019 09:11:56 am
      Damn! When are we ever gonna win 8-0? Let alone conceding a stupid goal.

We all know Ruth is a no nonsense fan with ultra high expectations. Often err... grumpy? I’m still talking about the goal we conceded, deliberately ignoring the fact that we scored four. I’m ultra grumpy today.  :f_wah:
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #235: Oct 24, 2019 09:35:02 am
      Made up with the result but so frustrated with the method. Our passing was abysmal. Couldn't seem to find anybody with short, underhit passes. Only one who's seemed to be on form was Bobby Firmino, with some brilliant touches.   Great to the Ox back to playing well. Looks like Henderson will have a job getting back into the side if he stays fit. Lovren played his usual brain fart of a game.Thank God we have Virgil as our mainstay in defence. The man is a colossus.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #236: Oct 24, 2019 09:37:49 am
      Who were the d**ckheads who made and held up the poster about the size of Divock's manhood?  Yet again a small group of  idiot supporters bring the club into disrepute.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #237: Oct 24, 2019 09:57:26 am
      Damn! When are we ever gonna win 8-0? Let alone conceding a stupid goal.

We all know Ruth is a no nonsense fan with ultra high expectations. Often err... grumpy? I’m still talking about the goal we conceded, deliberately ignoring the fact that we scored four. I’m ultra grumpy today.  :f_wah:

Slightly annoying for me as well Ruth, that late goal cost me, another perfect. Still at least we took all three points last night, which is what really matters. Although perfectly see your point of view, the defence switching off.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #238: Oct 24, 2019 10:25:09 am
      Slightly annoying for me as well Ruth, that late goal cost me, another perfect. Still at least we took all three points last night, which is what really matters. Although perfectly see your point of view, the defence switching off.

I think Ruth may be being sarcastic!
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #239: Oct 24, 2019 10:47:43 am

I woke up one day realising that I should not forgive anyone for any mistakes. My patience for winning the league title has ran out.

The more we come closer to winning it, the more perfection I expected out of everyone.
      The more I expected, the more I started blaming everyone.
      The more I started blaming everyone, the more I couldn’t celebrate any positives and the joy of winning.

I woke up today realising how BITTER I had become as a Liverpool fan. I may as well take a walk across the park and join me mates... :f_whistle:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #240: Oct 24, 2019 01:13:02 pm
      Made up with the result but so frustrated with the method. Our passing was abysmal. Couldn't seem to find anybody with short, underhit passes. Only one who's seemed to be on form was Bobby Firmino, with some brilliant touches.   Great to the Ox back to playing well. Looks like Henderson will have a job getting back into the side if he stays fit. Lovren played his usual brain fart of a game.Thank God we have Virgil as our mainstay in defence. The man is a colossus.

Yes it was a strangely frustrating game and I think you could see that in Klopp at the end, I think sometimes we overcomplicate our attacks instead of just being more direct. These intricate 4 pass goals are beautiful when they work, eg Mane's goal, but very often they simply don't work as they are to to tricky to execute, compare that with Citeh who are much more direct and simple in their attacks, yet no less effective. I'd like to see the team work on this and also start to have some more shots form outside the box rather than trying to pass the ball into the net all the time.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #241: Oct 24, 2019 01:28:56 pm
      I know people can get a bit cynical about our midfield being quite negative at times but one thing I noticed last night is that we seemed to be a lot more vulnerable at the back. Keita was getting forward quite a fair bit which was great, but Genk seemed to be getting a lot of space (especially in the first half) down that left hand side, with Keita being our left sided centre mid I'm not sure if that was down to the fact he was committing himself going forward.

But anyway enough about that, very good game & result all around. Buzzing for Chamberlain too, and the front 3 were superb. Almost telepathic at times. Bit of a downer about not coming away with the clean sheet. Lovren was superb against Leicester but it looked like he transported back to 2014/2015 with that clanger at the end :lmao:
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #242: Oct 24, 2019 01:38:33 pm
      I know people can get a bit cynical about our midfield being quite negative at times but one thing I noticed last night is that we seemed to be a lot more vulnerable at the back. Keita was getting forward quite a fair bit which was great, but Genk seemed to be getting a lot of space (especially in the first half) down that left hand side, with Keita being our left sided centre mid I'm not sure if that was down to the fact he was committing himself going forward.

But anyway enough about that, very good game & result all around. Buzzing for Chamberlain too, and the front 3 were superb. Almost telepathic at times. Bit of a downer about not coming away with the clean sheet. Lovren was superb against Leicester but it looked like he transported back to 2014/2015 with that clanger at the end :lmao:

Noticed with Lovren when he gets dragged out of central areas and exposed wide his vulnerabilities are clearly evident
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #243: Oct 24, 2019 01:48:59 pm
      Noticed with Lovren when he gets dragged out of central areas and exposed wide his vulnerabilities are clearly evident

Ha, yeah his brain seems to turn to mush & his legs to jelly the closer to the flanks he gets.

I'm sure he did literally the exact same thing in a game during his first season. Always remember it because there's an infamous photo of him falling onto the deck face first with Rodgers a few metres behind holding his head in his hands
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #244: Oct 24, 2019 03:39:01 pm
      Good result and performance from the boys, if things pan out the way we think it should we could have the group stage wrapped up with a game to spare.

Ox with what was easily his best showing of the season and that second goal was very classy. It is the type of goal you do see that often using the outside of the foot that way which makes it even more special. The announcer calling the game said it best if that was Messi or Ronaldo who done that world would be going nuts over it. Nice to see Salah break the mark away from home and Ketia have a pretty good showing because we will need to be fit and good form to be picked from so we can have Milner play full back when needed more often (I thought he was very good on the night as well).

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #245: Oct 24, 2019 06:06:12 pm

I think balance is the key and suspect that we will not often see Keita and Ox start a game together against really top opposition. However, i'd like to see one of them start against Spurs this weekend, Ox looks in good touch and works harder off the ball so he would be my preference. 
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #246: Oct 24, 2019 06:11:52 pm
      I think balance is the key and suspect that we will not often see Keita and Ox start a game together against really top opposition. However, i'd like to see one of them start against Spurs this weekend, Ox looks in good touch and works harder off the ball so he would be my preference. 

Exactly, one of them against Spurs and both of them against teams which are lesser on paper.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #247: Oct 24, 2019 07:06:38 pm
      Ha, yeah his brain seems to turn to mush & his legs to jelly the closer to the flanks he gets.

I'm sure he did literally the exact same thing in a game during his first season. Always remember it because there's an infamous photo of him falling onto the deck face first with Rodgers a few metres behind holding his head in his hands

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #248: Oct 25, 2019 12:07:02 am
      First off...get the F**k innnnn...nice to finally win away from home in the CL.

Secondly, how are these blokes? F***ing funny as F**k!

FacebookTwitterMessenger WhatsAppMore
      PREVIOUSNEXT
      24/10/2019 - 12:57:00Back to Discover Home

By Press Association
      Two Liverpool fans were left red-faced after travelling to Ghent instead of Genk and therefore missing their side’s Champions League match on Wednesday.

Rob, from London, and Lee, from Leicester, only realised their mistake half an hour before the match was due to start.

It forced them to instead watch the game in an Irish cafe in a city more than two hours by train from the one they had intended to visit.

Rob told the PA news agency: “We are really embarrassed. We were hoping our mistake would fly under the radar but we were pulling into Calais just now and a friend sent me a link to the story, which has started going viral.

“My wife didn’t know, but I expect she is going to find out soon.”

Me and Lee have a bit of a track record for this - Last time we tried to watch Liverpool we got on the wrong train - I think next time we will let someone else book the travel

Rob said: “We took a taxi from the airport and drove past the stadium and said to the taxi driver, ‘We are going there tonight to watch Liverpool’, but he didn’t say much.

“In hindsight that should have made us realise.

“When we were checking into the hotel, the person working looked at us a bit quizzically but it was only when we went out to a restaurant, the waiter was a Ghent fan, and he told us our mistake.

“We were absolutely gutted. By then it was too late – even if we had left immediately we wouldn’t have made the match.”

Instead, Rob and Lee, who did not want to reveal their surnames, watched the Reds beat Genk 4-1 in a bar – where a local radio station Radio 2 Oost-Vlaanderen photographed them commiserating their mistake.

<figcaption class='imgFCap'>Genk and Ghent are a little over two hours apart by train (Google Maps)</figcaption>
      Genk and Ghent are a little over two hours apart by train (Google Maps)
      They revealed they had forked out £130 each on rail tickets, as well as £60 on match tickets.

Rob said they had originally planned to travel to Genk with two other friends, but the person in charge of the travel had dropped out at the last minute, so they had hastily booked travel and accommodation themselves.

He said: “Me and Lee have a bit of a track record for this. Last time we tried to watch Liverpool we got on the wrong train – instead of taking the fast train, we ended up on the slow train which took six hours.

“I think next time we will let someone else book the travel.”

They have now been invited back by Genk football team, to watch the Ghent versus Genk match in January as VIPs with a dinner and guided tour of the stadium.

Rob said: “We would love to go.”

Finally onto the Match....4 quality goals but we did look a bit shaky at times, especially in the first half when they were trying those long balls between our 2 Cb's...that was a bit scary.

2nd half in control but Lovren and his brain fart cost us a goal otherwise, all sweet.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #249: Oct 25, 2019 08:18:12 am
      I  said in the pre match thread that I would like to see the Ox start against Genk.He more than justified my faith in him and had an excellent match.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #250: Oct 25, 2019 10:22:50 am

Yeah definitely, there's no way we'd start a midfield of those two against the likes of City. Was just pointing out because you always see a lot of people moaning on twitter etc about the midfield, I think Wednesday shown why Klopp prefers to be a bit more conservative in that area.

Can't fault their attacking work mind, just left us a bit exposed defensively
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #251: Oct 26, 2019 11:15:29 pm
      Quote from heimdall
      Was a good game, entertaining to watch and Genk probably deserved that goal at the end, they were better than I expected.
      I'm also very happy for Ox and also Keita who both had good games.
      We are fully in control of the group now, if both us and Napoli win our next matches then we are as good as through.

We still need a point from the last two games. But we will be guaranteed a top 3 finish, so European football after Christmas in some form.

If we're going to make mistakes, make them when we're 4-0 up. They're usually not very expensive, with 4 away goals in the bank going into the second leg in a couple of weeks. Yes, this is a league and a cup tie.

Job done, onto the next one.

Quick Reply