Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Alisson
      1 (0.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      9 (7.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (6.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (0.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.9%)
       Fabinho
      64 (56.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      15 (13.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      14 (12.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: Oct 31, 2019 06:22:57 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 33191 times
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Oct 27, 2019 09:00:39 pm
      I can’t believe people would consider leaving out Wijnaldum - he is an incredible player. Your post is nailed on, Fabinho and Wijnaldum are our best midfielders

Given how long it took some people to really appreciate Firmino because he "didn't score enough" and would rather have Harry Kane as our #9, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that some people still don't get how good Wijnaldum actually is. Though I do admit, it's annoying to see him score so often for the Dutch national team and whenever he gets really good chances when playing for us, he generally misses them. It's quite odd.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #484: Oct 27, 2019 09:23:23 pm
      Harry saying lfc are getting all the breaks and luck , we’ll apart from that enormous bit of luck in the first minute he done Fck all in the game ,
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #485: Oct 27, 2019 09:37:06 pm
      Despite a early fluke goal of some sorts we really took the game to them and should of been up couple goals after the first half. Poor finishing and great goalkeeping kept Spurs in it long enough to even go up 2 when Son hit the bar but once we got the breakthrough I felt we would get the second. A few dodgy moments in the last 10 minutes when we set up shop to defend the lead but we were able to see it through.

Great to see Hendo score, player who is always the scapegoat when things go sideways but he came up with the goods when called upon, shame he doesn't contribute on the score sheet a little bit more. Fabinho was really doing well sweeping the ball around and lobbing balls to the full backs. Robertson was having a field day with Eriksen and Aurier and TAA crosses were flying in but trio didn't have finishing boots.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #486: Oct 27, 2019 09:47:26 pm
      Given how long it took some people to really appreciate Firmino because he "didn't score enough" and would rather have Harry Kane as our #9, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that some people still don't get how good Wijnaldum actually is. Though I do admit, it's annoying to see him score so often for the Dutch national team and whenever he gets really good chances when playing for us, he generally misses them. It's quite odd.

Just to see him catch one sweet would be nice! Scuffs so many and I can only put it down to being over excited because hes where deep down he likes to play.

At Newcastle he was a bit of a luxury player who when speaking to Geordies would complain he didnt like to tackle and was a real invisible man away from home.

Klopp obviously saw something different in him and he plays like a work horse for us, with genuine quality on the ball mind.

But yes it would be nice if he caught it sweet for us once in a while when he does break forwards!

People asking dor Ox and Keita in midfield also have to realise like you said above that adding goals into the team may well come at the expense of conceding others. I believe Klopp will do it in some home games against weaker opposition than Spurs if he thinks he can get some rest into the midfield of Gini and Hendo, but more often than not, this is his ideal front 3 because it balances the team out.

If it had stayed at 1-0 for longer I think Ox will have got the nod, as it was we equalised and we didnt need to roll the dice after 55 mins. I also think at 1-1 Klopp will have gone down that route before we got the lead then obviously he didnt have to.

It's good we have an attacking midfield options in Keita and Ox for emergencies, but also another steadying influence like Milner to call on too. We need a bench for all eventualities and other than a top class forward who would sit on the bench for most of the season (hard to find many of those) I think we have a lot of solutions.

As for Kane he is a shithouse but I think Milner topped his shithousery coming on with a cynical trip to stop their counter then a run into the corner flag to milk the foul and take the sting out of the game. All very good qualities we need in this team I think as at times we can be a little too nice for my tastes.

Some tough fixtures out of the way now and not too much damage done. I hope now heading into calmer waters, we can start a sequence of getting the first goal in games and making matches a lot less stressful for all of us.
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2019 09:56:24 pm by fields of anny rd »
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #487: Oct 27, 2019 09:48:52 pm
      Your point is true when teams allow our FBs so much space like today we need the 3 who started today . Think what people are saying is when we are given more space through the middle one of the 3 probably Henderson a midfielder is needed who can carry the ball like Ox or Naby

Ox and Keita can both do the job, I think its how the opposing managers think how they can play against them.  Poch nearly got it right today with the existing mid, but he would have to think again with them
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #488: Oct 27, 2019 10:01:37 pm
      Always good to see the collective wisdom of fans on this forum after you place your vote for MOTM.

Absolute beast. Rapidly approaching first name on the team sheet.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #489: Oct 27, 2019 10:22:47 pm
      Crucial the lead stays at 6 points heading into the game against Man City at Anfield I think Pep will have no other option but to go for it and open up if it’s 6 at that stage (which is a good thing for us) in comparison to his more reserved approach at anfield last season in the 0-0. Crucial win! Got what we deserved today, Trent and Fabinho excellent! Spurs are crap Not quiet sure why I worried so much about the champions league final only half a football team compared to the boys in red🧣
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #490: Oct 27, 2019 10:44:13 pm
      https://twitter.com/SkySportsLyall/status/1188525334213345285?s=20

As i pointed out to someone it's like arguing that you aren't guilty of shooting someone because they got themselves  in the way of the bullet
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #491: Oct 27, 2019 10:55:08 pm
      Just watching the punditry in motd, fookin hell it is dreadful. Wright and Crouch just terrible
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #492: Oct 27, 2019 11:10:08 pm
      Just watching the punditry in motd, fookin hell it is dreadful. Wright and Crouch just terrible

Crouchie is a legend mate - I find him hilarious and so interesting. That Burnley comment haD me creasing
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #493: Oct 27, 2019 11:14:24 pm

Maybe it's just me but i truly believe he is the King of Nobs,  he is a complete f***in N*b end, he went down today as if he got f***in pole axed, and screaming like a school girl, yet he's England's golden boy and apparently one of the best strikers in the world, 
      Don't make me f***in laugh, Big Girls Blouse is a more appropriate description,  and a diving cheating kunt to boot,
      Vardy ain't my cup of tea either but at least the fella is more of a bloke than  Harry f***in Wankstain,  pr**k !!

YNWA

Billy, I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying you don't like Harry Kane?

:couch:

;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #494: Oct 27, 2019 11:18:42 pm

I"d be interested to see any kind of graphic/map or whatever showing where on the park his chances are taken from for Holland vs. for us. It seems he's normally deployed a bit deeper for us, although he could still have chances from relatively close range for us (thinking in the 2nd half when the ball fell to him on the edge of the six-yard box and he kept threatening to shoot but never did). Just curious if that is part of it.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #495: Oct 27, 2019 11:25:34 pm
      City fans are deluded - just reading on their blue moon forum and they are absolutely convinced we have officiating in our pockets and get loads of penalties. I swear city and Liverpool have the same amount of pens since the start of last season.

Plus they think it wasn’t a pen today, what the F**k?! It was as clear penalty as you can get, Mane sensational his movement which Aurier has no clue what’s going on.

I really hope we F***ing beat those plastic slimey cu*ts in a couple of weeks and hope we get 3 pens in the game to really tip them over the edge.

Bunch of cu*ts   
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #496: Oct 27, 2019 11:31:50 pm
      Crouchie is a legend mate - I find him hilarious and so interesting. That Burnley comment haD me creasing

Top man is Crouchy. True story, he sorted us out in fine style for a lads holiday I was on in Riga about 3 years back after my mate who mixes with him down in London was dared to message him for some beer money ;D. Kindly obliged.

Funny, funny bloke and my mate says he never told his missus where that money went ;D. I suppose after a while you no longer need to worry!
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #497: Oct 27, 2019 11:33:57 pm
      Billy, I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying you don't like Harry Kane?

:couch:

;D

Personally, I think Son is better, He will also be better in a red uniform just like ours.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #498: Oct 27, 2019 11:44:21 pm

Crouchy is a top bloke really like him as a pundit too.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #499: Oct 27, 2019 11:46:31 pm
      A huge win.   Their goalie looked like he was going to have one of them days.  But we kept going until we got what we deserved.  I gave MOTM to Henderson you could just see it in his celebrations he gives every KJ of energy on the pitch.  But could have given it to Firmino.  We really needed to win.  The start we have had we just couldn't have City breathing down our necks because of a lucky early goal. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Live: Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur
      Reply #500: Oct 28, 2019 12:06:29 am
      When can this ever make sense ?

This is what Klopp said afterward for why he made the change. Sounds like he didn't want to remove the fullbacks' threat, but saw a vulnerability behind them (particularly Trent's side).

"In the last seven or eight minutes when it got a bit more difficult for us, we wanted to kind of control the game but now, after that high intensity game, it’s not endurance or whatever, it’s just [about trying] to keep kind of a rhythm and not to lose the rhythm. They now chased the game, they used the width, we changed and brought Joe [Gomez on] and [put] Trent a little bit higher but that didn’t really help because we still couldn’t defend the diagonal balls. That can just happen but that’s a big challenge in football, playing a game like this with only being one goal up and the opponent is Tottenham, who changed completely offensively, it can get a bit scrappy but I am completely fine with it. Ali had two proper saves, I think, in that period so I am completely fine with it."

Just a little explanation from the manager for whoever is interested.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #501: Oct 28, 2019 03:43:49 am
      Still buzzing.. That was some performance last night.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #502: Oct 28, 2019 03:45:26 am
      Get the F**k in!!!!! A Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge win.

I never panicked, just like the boys, even after going town after 47 seconds. I was annoyed and cursing the other teams luck every time anyone score against us it's like a freaky goal.

But I just knew we'd come back and get in front, it was just a matter of time when, not if for me.

The Boys and Jürgen have given me so much confidence, that no position is lost and I love that F***ing feeling!

6 Points clear. Mind the Gap!!!!
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #503: Oct 28, 2019 05:11:09 am
      MoM = Alisson. He ensured the 3 points stayed 3 points despite the pressure (that save from Son ... wow!)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #504: Oct 28, 2019 06:21:51 am
      That was a well earned 3 points,I made Fabhino M.O.M and was happy with the final result.I will feel more comfortable when Matip returns to the team.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #505: Oct 28, 2019 08:28:47 am
      I thought we were excellent yesterday and pretty much dominated them from start to finish even after another bit of crap luck.

Fabinho was top notch again and the top 3 looked dangerous, causing them all sorts of problems.

Didn't like their cheating captain and surrounding the ref for their bad and dirty tactics.

Get in!

Quick Reply