Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Alisson
      1 (0.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      9 (7.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (6.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (0.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.9%)
       Fabinho
      64 (56.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      15 (13.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      14 (12.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: Oct 31, 2019 06:22:57 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 33172 times
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Oct 28, 2019 08:52:48 am
      Personally, I think Son is better, He will also be better in a red uniform just like ours.

Agreed, we should rattle Spurs with a January bid for him.

I think he fits our system perfectly.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #507: Oct 28, 2019 09:09:26 am
      Get the f**k in!!!!! A Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge win.

I never panicked, just like the boys, even after going town after 47 seconds. I was annoyed and cursing the other teams luck every time anyone score against us it's like a freaky goal.

But I just knew we'd come back and get in front, it was just a matter of time when, not if for me.

The Boys and Jürgen have given me so much confidence, that no position is lost and I love that f**king feeling!

6 Points clear. Mind the Gap!!!!

You may not have panicked put I was shitting it that last 10 minutes when we just sat back inviting pressure, what the f was that about all of a sudden we completely lost our ability to retain the ball and were being pushed off the ball at every challenge, I hate that negative tactic???

All in all a hugely frustrating game to watch, we created so many chances but finished off so few, we really have to improve that, plus can we please give our forwards some strength training so that they aren't just meekly passing the ball to the keeper on most shots, get some power behind them and rifle them into the top corner please!

I am happy with the win but there are far to many games now where its almost more luck and hard work than skill winning us the games, that cannot continue, I want us to get back to winning games convincingly and that might include changing the midfield around, perhaps playing a midfielder who just scored 2 goals mid week for example!

Fabinho is playing very well but I am baffled why Jürgen constantly just goes back to Gini and Hendo, they offer so little going forwards and in Gini's case not much defensively either. I really do want to see at least one of Lallana, Keita or Ox play going forwards, we have to inject more of a goal threat from midfield as we are becoming quite predictable in recent games.
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2019 09:14:10 am by heimdall »
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #508: Oct 28, 2019 09:16:38 am
      Probably our best performance of the season so far, could have easily have won that by 3 or 4 at least. Buzzing for Hendo, shut a lot of people up with that goal.

Fabinho though. F***ing hell. What an absolute monster
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #509: Oct 28, 2019 09:21:19 am
      You may not have panicked put I was shitting it that last 10 minutes when we just sat back inviting pressure, what the f was that about all of a sudden we completely lost our ability to retain the ball and were being pushed off the ball at every challenge, I hate that negative tactic???

All in all a hugely frustrating game to watch, we created so many chances but finished off so few, we really have to improve that, plus can we please give our forwards some strength training so that they aren't just meekly passing the ball to the keeper on most shots, get some power behind them and rifle them into the top corner please!

I am happy with the win but there are far to many games now where its almost more luck and hard work than skill winning us the games, that cannot continue, I want us to get back to winning games convincingly and that might include changing the midfield around, perhaps playing a midfielder who just scored 2 goals mid week for example!

Fabinho is playing very well but I am baffled why Jürgen constantly just goes back to Gini and Hendo, they offer so little going forwards and in Gini's case not much defensively either. I really do want to see at least one of Lallana, Keita or Ox play going forwards, we have to inject more of a goal threat from midfield as we are becoming quite predictable in recent games.

Mate that had nothing to do with luck, we absolutely walloped them in every area. If anything we were unlucky because we could have easily beaten them by 3 or 4 if their keeper didn't have the game of his life
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #510: Oct 28, 2019 09:28:12 am
      Mate that had nothing to do with luck, we absolutely walloped them in every area. If anything we were unlucky because we could have easily beaten them by 3 or 4 if their keeper didn't have the game of his life

As I said in my post we created plenty of chances, mostly because Spurs for most of the match played like Burnley and just sat back inviting pressure, but our finishing was very average. Yes their goalie had some decent saves but most shots on target were quite saveable and I would certainly have expected Alisson to have saved them as well.

I have been saying all season that our finishing is quite poor, we get away with it because we generate so many chances but against a better side we will come unstuck. I'm also fed up with our passive midfield, we must have at least one midfielder who can score goals and link up properly with the front three, in my opinion we must start playing with either Ox, Keita or Lallana rather than midfielders who only score once every 4 years!!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #511: Oct 28, 2019 09:37:33 am
      City fans are deluded - just reading on their blue moon forum and they are absolutely convinced we have officiating in our pockets and get loads of penalties. I swear city and Liverpool have the same amount of pens since the start of last season.

Plus they think it wasn’t a pen today, what the f**k?! It was as clear penalty as you can get, Mane sensational his movement which Aurier has no clue what’s going on.

I really hope we f**king beat those plastic slimey cu*ts in a couple of weeks and hope we get 3 pens in the game to really tip them over the edge.

Bunch of cu*ts

That Bluemoon forum (especially the Liverpool thread) is the worst of the worst mate. A cesspit of Hillsborough / victim / dole shouts, and when they actually move onto the football it mainly consists of discussing the latest outlandish conspiracy theory which has been designed to stop them & their lovely, squeaky clean owners from winning. I like having a gander at other team's forums from time to time but that one is a complete no-go for me. Like stepping into a mental asylum
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #512: Oct 28, 2019 09:45:40 am
      As I said in my post we created plenty of chances, mostly because Spurs for most of the match played like Burnley and just sat back inviting pressure, but our finishing was very average. Yes their goalie had some decent saves but most shots on target were quite saveable and I would certainly have expected Alisson to have saved them as well.

I have been saying all season that our finishing is quite poor, we get away with it because we generate so many chances but against a better side we will come unstuck. I'm also fed up with our passive midfield, we must have at least one midfielder who can score goals and link up properly with the front three, in my opinion we must start playing with either Ox, Keita or Lallana rather than midfielders who only score once every 4 years!!

Midfield isn't too much of an issue for me as we've got the two most creative fullbacks in the world which I think more than make up for a slightly conservative midfield. I'd definitely throw Keita / Ox in for certain games but due to the way we play I wouldn't look to start them in certain big matches, especially away from home. Saw on Wednesday how exposed our defence can become if we go for attacking prowess in the centre of the park
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #513: Oct 28, 2019 09:53:14 am

I am happy with the win but there are far to many games now where its almost more luck and hard work than skill winning us the games,

How lucky were Spurs with that first goal??
      you create your own luck.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #514: Oct 28, 2019 11:23:55 am
      For those looking to criticise the midfield/ers for lack of creativity or goals, here's a stat to try to put things into perspective: -

Of the last 144 points available to us in the prem, we've amassed 125 points, dropping just 19.
      That's 48 matches, 39 wins, 8 draws & 1 defeat.

It's almost impossible to do much better than that!

COYR!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #515: Oct 28, 2019 12:00:36 pm
      For those looking to criticise the midfield/ers for lack of creativity or goals, here's a stat to try to put things into perspective: -

Of the last 144 points available to us in the prem, we've amassed 125 points, dropping just 19.
      That's 48 matches, 39 wins, 8 draws & 1 defeat.

It's almost impossible to do much better than that!

COYR!!

Here's another stat, the last time Hendo scored at home was 2015. 4 F***ing years ago, that is simply terrifying!!

I get the argument that we need to have a balance in the midfield and not go completely gungho but I feel the midfield is far to passive yesterday and in recent matches, throw on a Keita or Ox yesterday and we may have conceded one more to Spurs but would have scored another 2 or 3 ourselves.

BTW our fullbacks are brilliant but quite often yesterday they were reduced to just lumping balls into the box which were easily defended, add a midfielder bursting into the box and you create all kinds of trouble for any defence.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #516: Oct 28, 2019 12:24:12 pm
      Great win, fantastic comeback.

any criticism is small fry stuff, and just picking holes. Spuds are a good team, may not be getting the results, but thyere still a bloody good outfit.

ps. we could have won by 3 or 4 on another day, their goalie was MOTM.

That was a massive win for us.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #517: Oct 28, 2019 12:50:52 pm

Years from now, when we are reminiscing about that glorious season where Liverpool regained the summit of the Premier League, winning the title, I hope you are honest with your progeny and do not lie, but confess to them "That season we won it for the first time in a long while, I bitched and moaned about the team the entire way."

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #518: Oct 28, 2019 01:15:34 pm
      Don't really know what all the fuss is about sometimes. That was an excellent performance yesterday and on another day that would have been a 6 or 7-1 battering. This machine is well oiled and everything functions as it should. I get all the cries for more creative midfielders but if you understand the system then you understand there is no real need for it. We attack from the back and invariably bypass the midfielders by utilising the full backs, rarely will they stray from their positions, occasionally linking attacks, doing the basics very well. For this system to be successful those midfielders have to be disciplined more than anything else, being disciplined is doing the things you don't want to do when you don't want to do them and these boys do it very well. They are the sacrificial lambs that enable the system to fully function.

Where the system does fall down is when one of the front three is missing. Firmino, Mane and Salah are special special players, on a level that few players aspire to, let alone achieve. Souness got it spot on yesterday when he said that the drop off in quality when one of them is out is gargantuan. It's like 100% to 60%, it is that big. We saw it with Torres and Gerrard, players on a completely different level to those around them. On a different stratosphere.

This is when we do need a slight change to the system to accommodate for the drop in quality by utilising a more attack minded midfielder to rectify the imbalance. In an ideal world we would sign a couple of top level attackers to supplement the shortfall but who is going to come here and be prepared to warm the bench? Would any top class player be prepared to play only 10-15 games a Season? I highly doubt it. It is a testament to the team Klopp has built that we find ourselves in this predicament. I can't see us dipping into the market in January but once again we are reliant on Firmino, Mane and Salah staying fit for the entire Season.

This could be an Invincibles Season for Liverpool Football Club and yet there there is so much room for improvement regarding the Squad. Champions of Europe and 6 points clear in the Premier League. We look unstoppable. That is a wonderful position to be in.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #519: Oct 28, 2019 01:25:15 pm
      brilliant win and the best performance so far this season.

Man of the match  FAB.

YNWA
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #520: Oct 28, 2019 01:28:50 pm
      Where the system does fall down is when one of the front three is missing. Firmino, Mane and Salah are special special players, on a level that few players aspire to, let alone achieve. Souness got it spot on yesterday when he said that the drop off in quality when one of them is out is gargantuan. It's like 100% to 60%, it is that big. We saw it with Torres and Gerrard, players on a completely different level to those around them. On a different stratosphere.

I completely agree that the drop in quality is scary when one of the front three is out, especially Bobby. I'm hoping the comparisons only go as far as attacking talent is concerned though, because in Fab, Ali, VVD and the full backs, we have world class base supporting the front three. It is scary that we haven't got back up for any of those three. As much as I love Origi, just not good enough to start, and Ox is the only other credible player I can think of playing attacking mid or up front.

Having said that, what a performance yesterday. Criticise the lack of finishing all you want, but we created 6 or 7 clear cut chances and on a different day, would have been out of sight. The guts and discipline of the team to keep going until the end, the belief that three points were ours, had the look of champions in my opinion. The only weak spot, which actually led to their chances more often than not was Lovren. Not gonna jump on the Lovren band wagon, but he's not played much and has always been below other defenders in quality, so I wasn't surprised. Quicker Matip gets back, and quick Gomez steps back up, the better.

So so oh so satisfying to beat these bunch of horrid cheating lot as well.

YNWA.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #521: Oct 28, 2019 02:06:30 pm
      Years from now, when we are reminiscing about that glorious season where Liverpool regained the summit of the Premier League, winning the title, I hope you are honest with your progeny and do not lie, but confess to them "That season we won it for the first time in a long while, I bitched and moaned about the team the entire way."

Ah yes! By Ruth's ridiculously high expectations, by the time the rest of us are celebrating the premier League trophy, I'd be sitting right there at that corner upset with all the goals we conceded and still asking meself why we didn't win every match 8-0. :f_steam: :rasp:

I'd be in "don't you dare celebrate" mode. People who celebrate success normally fail to defend their victories. We need to be no nonsense and very serious about our football.  :f_whistle: Someone send me to the club physio please...  :mad:
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #522: Oct 28, 2019 02:12:35 pm
      Get the f**k in!!!!! A Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge win.

I never panicked, just like the boys, even after going town after 47 seconds. I was annoyed and cursing the other teams luck every time anyone score against us it's like a freaky goal.

But I just knew we'd come back and get in front, it was just a matter of time when, not if for me.

The Boys and Jürgen have given me so much confidence, that no position is lost and I love that f**king feeling!

6 Points clear. Mind the Gap!!!!

I didn't too! Because the Kop rocks! And so does the whole team.

I had so much confidence in the coaches that I just know they'd have the solution to turm it around. And don't forget the players' fighting spirit.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #523: Oct 28, 2019 02:40:33 pm
      Ah yes! By Ruth's ridiculously high expectations, by the time the rest of us are celebrating the premier League trophy, I'd be sitting right there at that corner upset with all the goals we conceded and still asking meself why we didn't win every match 8-0. :f_steam: :rasp:

I'd be in "don't you dare celebrate" mode. People who celebrate success normally fail to defend their victories. We need to be no nonsense and very serious about our football.  :f_whistle: Someone send me to the club physio please...  :mad:

Someone send you to the club Shrink more like!  ;D
      You made me laugh out loud in the office and have (further) jeopardized my job security.  :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #524: Oct 28, 2019 03:09:22 pm

I'm always honest, but what you said about me wouldn't be true would it? I'm not always negative, we have a fabulous team but we are making things harder for ourselves than they need to be.
      Look if you are happy winning games with last gasp goals all season then good for you, but I'd prefer for us to be winning comfortably, that the only real difference between us.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #525: Oct 28, 2019 03:12:56 pm

So odd when people think they are much funnier than they really are, kind of like those singers who go on X-factor convinced they are the next big thing but are completely tone death with huge inferiority complexes.

Thanks for proving that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit though.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #526: Oct 28, 2019 03:58:47 pm
      I'm always honest, but what you said about me wouldn't be true would it? I'm not always negative, we have a fabulous team but we are making things harder for ourselves than they need to be.
      Look if you are happy winning games with last gasp goals all season then good for you, but I'd prefer for us to be winning comfortably, that the only real difference between us.

F***ing hell lad  :lmao:

We were brilliant yesterday. Literally could have been about 4 or 5, chances galore, balls flying into the box left right and center. Can't really see how swapping our captain (who scored btw!) for a slightly more attack-minded midfielder would improved us to any massive extent. It's a mad hill to die on
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #527: Oct 28, 2019 04:30:36 pm

That was what was worrying me in the first half that their stand in keeper was gonna have one of those games where he saves everything.

Fab was F***ing immense in the 2nd half.
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2019 04:34:40 pm by HUYTON RED »
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #528: Oct 28, 2019 04:43:58 pm
      That was what was worrying me in the first half that their stand in keeper was gonna have one of those games where he saves everything.

Fab was f**king immense in the 2nd half.

I know, it seemed to happen on quite a regular basis a few years ago, must admit at one point I did start to worry that the universe had decided to redress the balance after Loris' howler against us last season!

This team are a different kettle of fish though. Didn't let it bother them, made their own luck & it paid off. Absolutely class

Quick Reply