Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Pepijn Lijnders confirmed as assistant manager

Read 7792 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Re: Pepijn Lijnders confirmed as assistant manager
      Reply #23: Jan 30, 2019 09:42:18 am
      Yep, I won't mind him taking the reins when JĆ¼rgen leaves.

Hahaha there is only going to be one man everyone will be wanting when JĆ¼rgen calls it a day - Huyton's finest Mr Gerrard!!
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #24: Jan 30, 2019 05:33:10 pm
      Love reading his interviews and the way he sees the game. Always talking about movement.

It's also very noticeable how often he is leading some of the training sessions on passing exercises etc.

https://streamable.com/h54ps?fbclid=IwAR0GssRPuYbGR5FsCYr1HAtFjG6XITIa9DFjrxqMsjDekBl9yHpXuGu16gQ

Practicing the passing diamonds we often use.

Also an insane passing sequence in the rondo starting at about 5:15 in!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #25: Feb 14, 2019 02:37:17 pm
      Fabinho, Salah and organising the chaos - Inside Liverpool's tactical evolution

Assistant coach Pep Lijnders explains how Reds boss JĆ¼rgen Klopp has turned his side from top-four contenders into title hopefuls
      The Champions League final, last May.

A heart-breaking night for those of a Liverpool persuasion. An evening defined by Mohamed Salahā€™s injury, Gareth Baleā€™s brilliance and Loris Kariusā€™ anguish. A tearful conclusion to a remarkable journey.

For some, Kiev was the end of that journey. For Mike Gordon, JĆ¼rgen Klopp and his staff, however, it was merely a stop-off point.

Indeed, even as the Reds took to the field against Real Madrid, plans for the next stage of their development were already being finalised. Standing still, Liverpool have grown to realise, is never an option.

The night before the final, on the rooftop terrace of the Intercontinental hotel, a familiar face had mingled with Klopp and his players.

Pep Lijnders had left the Redsā€™ backroom team that January, taking on his first senior managerial role with NEC Nijmegen in the Netherlands, but here he was, back in the picture; smiling, debating, encouraging. Part of the group again.

Preparing, as it turned out, to return to Liverpool that summer.

ā€œI had already spoken about it when I went to Kiev,ā€ Lijnders reveals, almost nine months on. ā€œI already knew the ideas from JĆ¼rgen, so it felt good to be there the night before, with the staff and with JĆ¼rgen and the boys. I knew I was going to be coming back at that point.ā€

Lijndersā€™ return was instigated by Klopp and by Mike Gordon, Liverpoolā€™s co-owner. His time at NEC had ultimately ended in failure ā€“ missing out on promotion to the Eredivisie through the play-offs ā€“ but at Anfield his reputation could not be better.

The Dutchman ā€“ hands-on, sharp and almost obsessively passionate about his work ā€“ is seen as one of the outstanding coaches in Europe.

With Zeljko Buvac, Kloppā€™s long-time assistant, having suddenly departed the club in April, Lijnders would return in a more senior role than the one he had vacated. He would essentially, along with Peter Krawietz, become Kloppā€™s new right-hand man.

He would also take on the vital role of leading the next phase of the Redsā€™ tactical evolution.

That involved implementing a more controlled, patient, style of play. ā€œOrganised chaos,ā€ is a term used at Melwood to describe Kloppā€™s philosophy, but the chaos has not always been matched by the organisation.

Liverpool, for example, scored 47 goals in just 15 Champions League games last season, with their front three alone managing 91 in all competitions. Yet they finished the season trophy-less, squeezing into fourth place in the Premier League ahead of Chelsea on the final day.

To go from ā€˜goodā€™ to ā€˜greatā€™, Klopp reasoned, they needed to modify their approach, become a more controlled, streetwise team.

ā€œJĆ¼rgen was very clear what the next step would be,ā€ Lijnders says. ā€œWe spoke a lot before I took the job, and one thing we were both really agreeing on was how our midfield play could improve.

ā€œ[It was important] that we could create a free player more easily, that we could find him in an easier way. From there, we would have better movements in there to attack their last line. But especially that midfield play [had to improve].ā€

The solution lay not only on the training field, but in the transfer market.

Less than 48 hours after the Champions League final, Fabinho was recruited from Monaco to bolster Kloppā€™s midfield options. With Naby Keita arriving from RB Leipzig on July 1, Liverpool had spent more than Ā£90million on improving one of their target areas.

Still, it would take time. Fabinhoā€™s settling-in period was tough; he didnā€™t start a league game until October and was often not even part of the matchday squad. Training was tough, and questions were asked.

Lijnders, a fluent Portuguese speaker, played a big role in ensuring the Brazilian remained focused and patient.

ā€œTo adapt to the intensity of our play, that takes time,ā€ he says. ā€œNot many can do it, and in certain positions it is easier than others.

"If you are a front player and you come in, and you are used to playing in an attacking way, then it is easier, depending on the specific attributes you have as a player.

ā€œFor Fabinho, to play in a midfield three as we did at the start of the season, we knew it would take time. His impulse of defending forward is absolutely of the highest level, elite. The question as a No.6, though, is that you are moving more side-to-side than forwards.

ā€œThen, of course, you have to adapt to the league and the team. We found a good solution to change to 4-4-2 (4-2-3-1). And from that moment it helped so much, and then you saw the real Fabinho.ā€

His improvement since has been striking, whether as part of a ā€˜double sixā€™ or in the more familiar 4-3-3 formation. Heā€™s even, of course, filled in admirably at centre-back, and may be required to do so against Bayern Munich next week.

ā€œInside the ā€˜organised chaosā€™ that we want, that we like, he is like a lighthouse,ā€ says Lijnders. ā€œHe controls it.

ā€œThereā€™s a saying in Portuguese, ā€˜A bola sempre sai rodadaā€™. It means ā€˜The ball always goes out roundā€™ and with a player like Fabinho in the middle, you can see that.

"His timing, his vision, his calmness, it gives another dimension to our midfield play.ā€

Alongside him, or sometimes in front of him, the form of Gini Wijnaldum, Lijndersā€™ fellow Dutchman, has been equally impressive.

ā€œI would say that Gini and Bobby [Firmino] represent ā€˜our wayā€™ in the best way possible,ā€ Lijnders says, puffing his cheeks out. ā€œBecause we want players who are responsible for everything.

ā€œGini is a player who can drop and create three at the back for a short period of time, bring the ball out, and at the same time turn in midfield and find somebody straight away in between the lines.

"And then he can pass and move into the last line or even over the last line. He can arrive in scoring areas, he can head, he can score.

ā€œHeā€™s also still learning. Football is a game where you never stop learning and heā€™s becoming a better player. I think he represents what we want in a player, really well.ā€

Firmino, meanwhile, has seen his role evolve too, often finding himself as a roving No.10 in the 4-2-3-1 system, with Mohamed Salah used as the No.9.

It was a bold move, given Salahā€™s 44 goals from a predominantly right-sided station last season. But with the Egyptian having passed 20 for the campaign last weekend, and with the team continuing to perform, the results are there to see.

ā€œFirst of all, Mo has the ability to create from the inside,ā€ says Lijnders, explaining the change. ā€œThat differentiates him from many others of his type. Heā€™s a real goalscorer.

ā€œSo, to have him in the last line as high as we can, with the speed he has, the goal threat he has, it makes it easier for us to create a freer role for Bobby.

ā€œFor Mo, it's really good to understand the game in that way, to be the point. For him it's great. He's closer to the goal, he can use his speed more, he's more where we want him to be. That's a natural development for him.ā€

Still, was it not an issue to tell Salah, with his array of personal awards and his rising global profile, to change his role?

ā€œNo,ā€ Lijnders replies. ā€œI think how this team is constructed anyway, it's glued by character, ambition and passion. It really fits well.

ā€œThat's what I say has influenced the evolution. You bring in not only world-class players, but players who are very hungry for training as well. That's what I like most about our project.

ā€œIf you look to our squad and what we are trying to achieve and what we are achieving, that hunger for becoming better is clear.

ā€œMo is a good example of that. He's always searching for the next step and the next level. For me, the difference between a good player and a top player is that the top players can solve problems before they become problems, or they can solve problems in many different ways. And a top player can do it constantly. Mo does that.ā€

He certainly does, and as Liverpool head into the final third of the season, they find themselves well and truly alive in the two competitions they crave most.

The Premier League title race threatens to go down to the wire, while the Bayern tie should ensure another pair of classic Champions League nights.

ā€œThese moments made the team smell the hunger for the last step,ā€ says Lijnders, with a smile. ā€œWith all we did so far, we are trying to make this last step.ā€

https://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/fabinho-salah-and-organising-the-chaos-inside-liverpools/z2u85ts9k0q1kz3yg35brr4r
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #26: Feb 14, 2019 03:37:14 pm
      Could Pep re joining us be a factor in Buvac leaving?
      Kopite78
      Reply #27: Feb 14, 2019 03:57:03 pm
      Could Pep re joining us be a factor in Buvac leaving?

Wouldn't have thought so Shabs. Buvac was put on gardening leave way before Pep came back

I'd suggest it was the other way around. Whatever happened with Buvac prompted them to try to get Pep back from Holland
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #28: May 27, 2019 02:43:50 pm
      I love that we compete with our way of football

How are the boys looking going into the Champions League final?

Our boys look hungry, to be honest. I think they canā€™t wait; itā€™s a special moment for us and the club and we love the fact that we can compete for our club with our way of football. The journey has been intense, full of passion and ambition from the boys. We always stayed loyal to our style and that, for me, is whatā€™s the most pleasing thing. We came here our way - never boring! We competed in the worldā€™s two strongest competitions and in both we are in it until the very end. We will give everything again, trying to make our fans proud. LFC football from start until end.

How important was it to take the boys to Marbella again to work on preparation ahead of the final?

Itā€™s good to be all together. We love Melwood, but getting somewhere private as a team creates focus automatically. We try to get the mindset for competition and overcoming difficulties. Training is about developing and stimulating that. What defines us, as always, is we focus on us.

How pleased were you with the attitude of the boys during the sessions?

I donā€™t like them, I love them. What professionals! Itā€™s great to work with them, itā€™s never a mistake to train with everything you have. Iā€™m patient, I expect more mistakes because we ask them to play with initiative, to attempt more, attack more and better, press more and hard work. But this, in the end, makes you accomplish more. Good things just take time. Our way of play has to become a natural skill. No ego, team-play with a 100 per cent winning attitude, because the difference between a good team and a top team is the character of each individual to put the team above themselves.

As you said, itā€™s been an incredible run to the final, againā€¦

Indeed, special, and we should compliment our boys. But a final isnā€™t to show how good we all are, itā€™s to compete as a team. There are many different signs for a good game and we have to search for these.

Did the Barcelona game at Anfield show the very best of what this team and this club is all about?

The very best of this club is shown in humbleness, in everyday desire to improve, not as much results, in my opinion. Itā€™s really shown in the passion of the people who work for it, and in the passion of the fans, and then, yes, it works like a trampolineā€¦ and sometimes like a volcano! In all seriousness, I really believe our results are a logical consequence of development and right character. Character counts; the force of JĆ¼rgenā€™s passion is cumulative because the way he speaks to our players becomes their inner voice, that creates belief. Everyone who was in top sport knows that your brain, your own voice, can be difficult sometimes. What we saw that night is a hard-working, pressing team, who fought for each centimetre together. We will not accept getting beat in team spirit.

At what point did what the team achieved that night really register with you? It was very emotional at the endā€¦

We said before we had to impress them by impressing ourselves. JĆ¼rgen searched for the right description of ā€œsurpass ourselvesā€. You canā€™t imagine how satisfied we were by the performance, I was smiling and shouting like never before. We knew it was possible, more than people around us thought. But you have to earn the right to be ambitious, and I think we did that that night. A total LFC effort.

ā€œEverything about this team is glued by togetherness and by character,ā€ is what you said back in February. I guess weā€™ve seen that on the road to Madrid?

Yes, in combination with training like monsters, thatā€™s the only way you can erase fear, be a unit, a red block, because help creates massive. Just play with maximum courage, enjoy doing your best and donā€™t worry too much.

So, Tottenham Hotspur are our opponents in the final. Itā€™s fair to say we all know what a top side they areā€¦

Yes, they are such a strong, strong team, with many dominant players who want to create. We have to be ready to deal with difficult circumstances. We respect Tottenham, we respect the competition, we respect the game but whatā€™s really important is that we respect ourselves.

Lastly, for you personally, to be involved in this Champions League final having missed last yearā€™s, what does that mean to you?

It means the world to me. Firstly, because itā€™s with JĆ¼rgen; secondly, itā€™s with one of Europeā€™s most traditional and historical clubs; and third, itā€™s with a group of players who deserve to represent Liverpool in this final.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/351462-pepijn-lijnders-champions-league-final-interview
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #29: May 27, 2019 04:08:07 pm
      Loving Pep.. one of the main cogs in getting us this far in our season..
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,272 posts | 1435 
      Reply #30: May 28, 2019 07:53:44 am

Our boys look hungry, to be honest. I think they canā€™t wait; itā€™s a special moment for us and the club and we love the fact that we can compete for our club with our way of football. The journey has been intense, full of passion and ambition from the boys. We always stayed loyal to our style and that, for me, is whatā€™s the most pleasing thing. We came here our way - never boring! We competed in the worldā€™s two strongest competitions and in both we are in it until the very end. We will give everything again, trying to make our fans proud. LFC football from start until end.

How important was it to take the boys to Marbella again to work on preparation ahead of the final?

Itā€™s good to be all together. We love Melwood, but getting somewhere private as a team creates focus automatically. We try to get the mindset for competition and overcoming difficulties. Training is about developing and stimulating that. What defines us, as always, is we focus on us.

I donā€™t like them, I love them. What professionals! Itā€™s great to work with them, itā€™s never a mistake to train with everything you have. Iā€™m patient, I expect more mistakes because we ask them to play with initiative, to attempt more, attack more and better, press more and hard work. But this, in the end, makes you accomplish more. Good things just take time. Our way of play has to become a natural skill. No ego, team-play with a 100 per cent winning attitude, because the difference between a good team and a top team is the character of each individual to put the team above themselves.

Indeed, special, and we should compliment our boys. But a final isnā€™t to show how good we all are, itā€™s to compete as a team. There are many different signs for a good game and we have to search for these.

Did the Barcelona game at Anfield show the very best of what this team and this club is all about?

The very best of this club is shown in humbleness, in everyday desire to improve, not as much results, in my opinion. Itā€™s really shown in the passion of the people who work for it, and in the passion of the fans, and then, yes, it works like a trampolineā€¦ and sometimes like a volcano! In all seriousness, I really believe our results are a logical consequence of development and right character. Character counts; the force of JĆ¼rgenā€™s passion is cumulative because the way he speaks to our players becomes their inner voice, that creates belief. Everyone who was in top sport knows that your brain, your own voice, can be difficult sometimes. What we saw that night is a hard-working, pressing team, who fought for each centimetre together. We will not accept getting beat in team spirit.

At what point did what the team achieved that night really register with you? It was very emotional at the endā€¦

We said before we had to impress them by impressing ourselves. JĆ¼rgen searched for the right description of ā€œsurpass ourselvesā€. You canā€™t imagine how satisfied we were by the performance, I was smiling and shouting like never before. We knew it was possible, more than people around us thought. But you have to earn the right to be ambitious, and I think we did that that night. A total LFC effort.

ā€œEverything about this team is glued by togetherness and by character,ā€ is what you said back in February. I guess weā€™ve seen that on the road to Madrid?

Yes, in combination with training like monsters, thatā€™s the only way you can erase fear, be a unit, a red block, because help creates massive. Just play with maximum courage, enjoy doing your best and donā€™t worry too much.

So, Tottenham Hotspur are our opponents in the final. Itā€™s fair to say we all know what a top side they areā€¦

Yes, they are such a strong, strong team, with many dominant players who want to create. We have to be ready to deal with difficult circumstances. We respect Tottenham, we respect the competition, we respect the game but whatā€™s really important is that we respect ourselves.

Lastly, for you personally, to be involved in this Champions League final having missed last yearā€™s, what does that mean to you?

It means the world to me. Firstly, because itā€™s with JĆ¼rgen; secondly, itā€™s with one of Europeā€™s most traditional and historical clubs; and third, itā€™s with a group of players who deserve to represent Liverpool in this final.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/351462-pepijn-lijnders-champions-league-final-interview
      Another outstanding addition to the  team,that interview tells us  what this guy is all about,what he has done for this team of ours is indisputable.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,299 posts | 3868 
      Reply #31: May 28, 2019 08:03:51 am

Wow
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #32: May 28, 2019 09:36:40 am

Its a Wow from him and a double Wow from me.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #33: Oct 30, 2019 11:16:47 am
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #34: Oct 30, 2019 12:55:17 pm
      Was looking for a thread on Pep to post in.

Hes a very impressive individual, and on YouTube there's a lot of his sessions explaining different formations and tactics, their strengths and their weaknesses, from his younger days.

I wonder if Pep has ambitions here after Klopp or whether he will work with Klopp wherever he goes after Liverpool. From our point of view, it would be a shame to lose somebody with his obvious qualities.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #35: Oct 30, 2019 05:44:10 pm
      Gerrard had better start shitting himself. Pep may well be the Paisley to Klopp's Shankly!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #36: Oct 30, 2019 06:28:02 pm
      Gerrard had better start shitting himself. Pep may well be the Paisley to Klopp's Shankly!!

I hope Pep is...the club needs continuity again like the old boot room.. When Souness closed it our troubles started & look at Fergieā€™s legacy after departing with no heir to continue the success they had..

Quick Reply