Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Neco Williams Player Thread (Liverpool > Nottingham Forest)

Read 23404 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Neco Williams Player Thread (Liverpool > Nottingham Forest)
      Nov 01, 2019 02:09:09 am
      Finally got to watch the entire match tonight and in the midst of all the wonderful madness, one of the main takeaways for me is that Neco CAN PLAY at this level. He has a great footballing brain and a tremendous attitude to go with a sweet right foot.

I've seen him do well for the U23s (including a couple of spectacular goals), but I did not expect him to do so well against this level of opposition. I'm a fan of Hoever as well but Neco may cause him to concentrate on center or left back.
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2022 12:36:26 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Re: Neco Williams Player Thread
      Reply #1: Nov 01, 2019 03:04:26 am
      Neco Williams on Liverpool debut

✅ Most touches
      ✅ Most crosses
      ✅ Most tackles
      ✅ Most interceptions
      ✅ Most blocks
      🅰️ Assist for final equaliser

Impressive debut Neco!

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/10/the-impressive-stats-behind-neco-williams-incredible-liverpool-debut/
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2: Nov 01, 2019 06:47:42 am
      He played brilliantly, was never afraid to keep possesion. His crossing was all over the place but he kept his best for last.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #3: Nov 01, 2019 07:59:26 pm
      Neco Williams on Liverpool debut

✅ Most touches
      ✅ Most crosses
      ✅ Most tackles
      ✅ Most interceptions
      ✅ Most blocks
      🅰️ Assist for final equaliser

Impressive debut Neco!

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/10/the-impressive-stats-behind-neco-williams-incredible-liverpool-debut/

I gave him motm so the stats are good to confirm that it wasn't  just a kneejerk the rest of the team were poor.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: Nov 01, 2019 10:14:34 pm

I gave him motm so the stats are good to confirm that it wasn't  just a kneejerk the rest of the team were poor.

I voted for Divock after listening on the radio. He scored the big goals of course, but after watching the full match I wish I'd gone for Neco.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #5: Jan 05, 2020 09:10:09 pm
      Thought he had a superb game tonight, looks like another very good player for the future. Get in!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #6: Jan 05, 2020 11:14:40 pm
      I wouldn't mind seeing more of him used in the last 10-20 mins of games to give TAA a little rest.   The frightening thing is that Trent 21 and we have two potential players behind him for right back! 

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Jan 06, 2020 02:17:32 am
      Thought he was magnificent, especially in the first half. Didn't look out of place at all. Good lad.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #8: Jan 07, 2020 02:49:59 am
      Looks like a BMF
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #9: Jan 07, 2020 04:57:09 pm
      BMF ?? Help me out here please lads i'm old and confused! ??? is it welsh.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #10: Jan 07, 2020 08:24:34 pm
      BMF ?? Help me out here please lads i'm old and confused! ??? is it welsh.

Bad mother f**ker

Reference from Pulp Fiction
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11: Jan 07, 2020 09:14:24 pm
      Doesn't look to be at the level Trent was at that age but he's giving a good account of himself. Lot's of potential there, probably the worst luck going that he's got Trent in front of him who is only a little bit older so he's going to have to bide his time and work his ass off but the potential is there and we could have him and Trent as our RB's for the next 10-15 years.

Wouldn't surprise me if there comes a time that Trent moves into midfield and Williams become more of a regular.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #12: Jan 08, 2020 03:51:05 pm
      Bad mother f**ker

Reference from Pulp Fiction

ah right,saw it once.Good to see we've got a fingers on the pulse of current culture then!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #13: Jan 08, 2020 07:46:57 pm

ah right,saw it once.Good to see we've got a fingers on the pulse of current culture then!

does it make me a prude to think this isn't something you should want to be called?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #14: Jan 09, 2020 05:00:21 am
      does it make me a prude to think this isn't something you should want to be called?

For sure
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Jan 09, 2020 10:01:24 am
      Doesn't look to be at the level Trent was at that age but he's giving a good account of himself. Lot's of potential there, probably the worst luck going that he's got Trent in front of him who is only a little bit older so he's going to have to bide his time and work his ass off but the potential is there and we could have him and Trent as our RB's for the next 10-15 years.

Wouldn't surprise me if there comes a time that Trent moves into midfield and Williams become more of a regular.

I'm not sure I agree with that, I actually think he is better defensively whilst Trent was better going forwards. They are both very good fullbacks and we look well stocked at RB now for a while to come, just need a good LB to emerge now, can't keep relying on Millner. I like the look of Laroucci but not sure he's quite at the required level yet.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #16: May 31, 2020 12:53:46 pm
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/397064-neco-williams-reveals-pre-debut-pep-talk-from-Jürgen-klopp

A pep talk from Jürgen Klopp gave Neco Williams the confidence to make a memorable first-team debut earlier this season.

Having learned he was to start October’s Carabao Cup tie with Arsenal around a week before the Anfield encounter, the right-back understandably felt a few butterflies in his stomach during the build-up.

But Klopp moved swiftly to eradicate Williams’ nerves and was rewarded by an eye-catching display down the flank that culminated in a crucial assist for Divock Origi’s last-minute equaliser as the sides drew 5-5.

“I knew about a week or so before that I was going to play in the Arsenal game,” the 19-year-old recalled in a recent review of the season so far with Liverpoolfc.com.

“I think the manager could see I was a bit nervous coming into training and thinking about it, so he called me to one side and just said, ‘Play your normal game, play as you would play like I was playing for the U23s, play with confidence and there’s no pressure on you whatsoever.’

“Him coming over to me and saying that just took kind of a little weight off my shoulders for me to go into that game and play with confidence.”

The fourth-round clash was a remarkable – almost ridiculous – occasion in which to make your first competitive senior appearance.

The Reds trailed 3-1, 4-2 and 5-4 on the night, but Williams’ determined run and inviting cross with 94 minutes on the clock teed up Origi to overhead kick the contest into a penalty shootout.

Caoimhin Kelleher gave Liverpool an advantage by stopping Dani Ceballos’ effort and Curtis Jones stepped up to coolly convert the decisive penalty.

“I was just trying to take it all in, grasp it all in and enjoy every minute of it,” said Williams. “That was the first time I had walked out in front of 50-odd thousand fans and singing You’ll Never Walk Alone.

“It was just a surreal moment. I’m thankful to the manager and all the Academy staff for getting me ready for that moment. I’m just so thankful.”

The Welshman firmly built on that opportunity in the months that followed.

Williams was part of the squad that travelled to Qatar for the FIFA Club World Cup in December, where victories over Monterrey and Flamengo secured that trophy for the first time in Reds history.

“For me, that was the first time going away with the senior squad,” he said. “So it was just a big eye-opener to see what it was like with the seniors.

“I was just trying to grasp it all in, take everything in. Watching the lads win both games, I was trying to take stuff in and try to put them into my game.”

Another confident performance in January’s FA Cup victory over Everton further enhanced Williams’ first-team potential and at the point the season was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic he had made five starts and been on the bench nine times.

He continues to make regular appearances for the U23s and considers it imperative to not differentiate between whichever levels his chances come.

“Whether it’s with the U23s or the first team you’ve got to keep your standards high,” added the defender. “You’ve got to play the same because if we are playing for the U23s obviously the boss might be watching so you’ve just got to play the same as you would in any game.

“Playing with the U23s gives you a chance to try to practise and stuff, and try to improve as a player. The game time is the most important thing and you are going to learn either way, if it’s the first team or the U23s.”
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #17: Jun 24, 2020 11:15:39 pm
      What a player he's going to be.

Not talking Trent levels but he's going to be some player.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2020 01:55:45 pm by srslfc »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18: Jun 24, 2020 11:34:44 pm
      What a player he's going to be.

Not taking Trent levels but he's going to be some player.

Think the potential is there where both of them have to play, when that happens Trent could well end up finding himself in the kind of role De Bruyne has.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #19: Jun 24, 2020 11:36:27 pm
      Think the potential is there where both of them have to play, when that happens Trent could well end up finding himself in the kind of role De Bruyne has.

Definitely.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #20: Jun 24, 2020 11:58:43 pm
      Can't wait to see more of him. Seems to have a real hunger to make things happen, something I reckon Klopp just loves in the kid.

As well as his sheer determination to make things happen, he seems very gifted on the ball.

Obviously, very early days but the early signs are promising. I remember getting a bollocking for saying TAA could be one of our best RB's ever, so not going to say anything too outrageous but he does seem like one for the future.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #21: Jun 25, 2020 08:54:15 am
      Brilliant last night, he has a huge future
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #22: Jun 25, 2020 09:30:28 am
      I'm a big fan of this lad already, I think he could push Trent for a place soon and that kind of competition is great, if he can play either flank then our FB positions are sorted for a long time to come.

Quick Reply