Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Trentury Alexander-Arnold

Read 3388 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Trentury Alexander-Arnold
      Nov 01, 2019 01:27:24 pm
      The next time Trent Alexander-Arnold plays for Liverpool will be his 100th game for the club. And, unless I'm missing somebody, he will become the first Scouser since Steven Gerrard in 2001 to achieve that feat. So the last time a Scouser made their 100th Liverpool appearance, Trent was just a few weeks away from turning three years old. He will become the 214th in total (and there's been a few Scousers in that total) and the third three name player after Norwegian pair Stig Inge Bjornebye and John Arne Riise.

It could be against Villa tomorrow, a team he's never faced before,  or it could be prolonged and happen against City, a team where he arguably had his greatest performance in a Liverpool shirt. Or it could be slap bang in the middle of those two and happen on a European night at Anfield. Whenever it is, it's safe to say that Trent will be making his 100th Liverpool appearance very, very soon.

And what a rise it's been during his first 99 games. From being in and out of the side, rotating with Gomez at right back, to being shortlisted for the Ballon D'Or, a Champions League winner (and runner up), playing in World Cups and cementing himself as the best right-back in world football.

A major part of the way we play for the way he gets up and down that right hand flank. Set piece delivery is fantastic (at times). And he has a goal in himself as well.

All in all, he hasn't done too badly this early in his career.

So congratulations Trent. Here's to many, many more.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Re: Trentury Alexander-Arnold
      Reply #1: Nov 01, 2019 03:50:09 pm
      Congrats to the best RB in the world. It is scary to think how good he can be in a few years time.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #2: Nov 01, 2019 05:33:18 pm
      Well done so far not the best defender, but more than makes up for with his attacking play, long may he prosper
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #3: Nov 01, 2019 05:54:09 pm
      Well done :)
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Nov 01, 2019 06:26:13 pm
      Well done so far not the best defender, but more than makes up for with his attacking play, long may he prosper

I actually think he's a good enough defender. Obviously his one on one defensive ability will improve but the basics are there. Problem is he gets high in support, loves the ball. Wraps his foot round a ball nearly as good as Beckham. This does lead to him getting caught out of position and teams have twigged this and leave a player out wide and when they get picked out with TAA nowhere to be seen, it looks bad.

He can only get better in all departments and has achieved so much already.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #5: Nov 01, 2019 06:33:16 pm
      What a player by the way!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 751 
      Reply #6: Nov 01, 2019 10:15:09 pm
      Very talented player, who can only improve under Klopp. Well done on your first century of appearances for the club.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #7: Nov 01, 2019 10:59:45 pm
      I love him
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8: Nov 02, 2019 01:14:34 am
      Think the poor defensively thing is a bit harsh. When you play as high and wide as a full back bombing up and down for 90 mins you will leave space and will make mistakes trying to recover it.

Compare him to someone like Moreno though who did the same thing just a lot worse and you can see that Trent is far more assured. Him and his fellow full back on the other side are huge for this team.

If he wants to stay here for the rest of his career he could hit 600 games quite easily.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #9: Nov 02, 2019 09:51:31 am
      Think the poor defensively thing is a bit harsh. When you play as high and wide as a full back bombing up and down for 90 mins you will leave space and will make mistakes trying to recover it.

Compare him to someone like Moreno though who did the same thing just a lot worse and you can see that Trent is far more assured. Him and his fellow full back on the other side are huge for this team.

If he wants to stay here for the rest of his career he could hit 600 games quite easily.
      It’s not even getting caught out of position for me, it’s when he is facing up wingers he tends to get beat very easily at times. I don’t think he has the same motivation for defending as he does for attacking which, of course, he does incredibly well.

I’ve often wondered whether he will make the transition to midfield but obviously we would be missing out on those crosses. With the ball at his feet there are not many better players in this squad. Congratulations Trent.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #10: Nov 02, 2019 10:02:27 am
      I actually think he's a good enough defender. Obviously his one on one defensive ability will improve but the basics are there. Problem is he gets high in support, loves the ball. Wraps his foot round a ball nearly as good as Beckham. This does lead to him getting caught out of position and teams have twigged this and leave a player out wide and when they get picked out with TAA nowhere to be seen, it looks bad.

He can only get better in all departments and has achieved so much already.

Tactically, if you tell your full back to get up the wing and get the crosses in, your right midfielder should be covering the counter into that space.
      That space being attacked is not Trent’s responsibility, it’s the covering player.
      If anyone was capable of doing both, they’d be wearing a halo 😇
      Just saying.
      And well done trent !
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Nov 02, 2019 07:04:53 pm
      Tactically, if you tell your full back to get up the wing and get the crosses in, your right midfielder should be covering the counter into that space.
      That space being attacked is not Trent’s responsibility, it’s the covering player.
      If anyone was capable of doing both, they’d be wearing a halo 😇
      Just saying.
      And well done trent !

Yeah but that does draw your centre back out wide to cover.I think Klopp can live with Trent getting out of position more than most attack minded right backs. It's the downside to trent's game. Hendo is great at covering and doubling up with Trent.Salah works hard but he doesn't track back that much to give trent extra cover. All full backs get done now and again.Robbo as well. Will Trent make the move into midfield.

One of the most successful full back turned winger is Bale. Trent doesn't have that pace and I think if he improves his defensive qualities there's no need to move him. He still gives great support and will get better with more experience and he's still probably 3/4 seasons till he reaches his peak.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #12: Nov 03, 2019 08:57:28 am
      Yeah but that does draw your centre back out wide to cover.I think Klopp can live with Trent getting out of position more than most attack minded right backs. It's the downside to trent's game. Hendo is great at covering and doubling up with Trent.Salah works hard but he doesn't track back that much to give trent extra cover. All full backs get done now and again.Robbo as well. Will Trent make the move into midfield.

One of the most successful full back turned winger is Bale. Trent doesn't have that pace and I think if he improves his defensive qualities there's no need to move him. He still gives great support and will get better with more experience and he's still probably 3/4 seasons till he reaches his peak.

Should be right mid covering, not right center back !
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Nov 03, 2019 01:31:26 pm
      Should be right mid covering, not right center back !

I did imply that Hendo covers for TAA at times. Be interested to see how Pep plays it. Should TAA hold his position more in the game. Bearing in mind he will be up against Sterling. A point wouldn't be a bad result for us. Fab will come back in. So I expect the mid to be the usual suspects:Fab,Hendo and Gini.

If Salah doesn't make it the Boss might go with Fab,Hendo,Gini and Milner. Jim lad on the right side ahead of TAA attacking down the right.Give us a bit more strength on that side against the hard as nails Sterling.

Quick Reply