Trending Topics

Next match: Palace v LFC [Premier League] Sat 23rd Nov @ 3:00 pm
      Selhurst Park

Today is the 13th of November and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D1 L7

2 games, 2 cups

Read 1701 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,299 posts | 1321 
      2 games, 2 cups
      Nov 05, 2019 05:07:03 pm
      No, not another unwelcome sequel to the 2007 cult classic but rather the predicament we find ourselves in, on December 17 and 18.

It has now been confirmed that we are to play Villa in the Carabao Cup the day before  we play the Club World Cup in Qatar

www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11669/11855017/liverpools-carabao-cup-quarter-final-at-aston-villa-confirmed

Seems as though the plan is to play 2 seperate squads simultaneously so it will be interesting to see which one we prioritise now or if it's a mix of youth and experience in both squads. Also as to which side Jürgen chooses to take charge of.

All very silly but the price of success it seems.

The bigger picture beyond this not being particularly fair, is the question which will the club deem most important?

With constant rumours of World and Euro Leagues taking over the traditional English calendar I think we will see the club take its strongest side to Qatar, and the younger boys to face the music at Villa Park.

Factors such as sponsorship, image rights, Fifa awards all seem to point towards that decision.

It could actually be a bit of a watershed moment for the English game I believe, and a problem all of their own making from the EFL.

Perhaps an idea to have a forum poll as to which cup we want to see prioritised now, or the third option of a mixture of youth and experience in both squads?
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2019 05:32:48 pm by fields of anny rd »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Re: 2 games, 2 cups
      Reply #1: Nov 05, 2019 05:23:37 pm
      Shocked we are playing the League Cup game one day ahead of the Club World Cup, because I thought the younger group (last two League Cup matches) would be utilized pretty heavily for the semifinal game of the World event, probably against the Mexico champions.

I guess any rotation between he semifinal and the final will be among the 18 players that are typically named to the first team matchday lineup.

The only other scenario would be dropping deep into the U18 lineup for the League Cup game, but hopefully that is not the intention. It will probably be the U23s......but I didn't expect the match to be played in December.
      RedWilly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,055 posts | 1098 
      Reply #2: Nov 05, 2019 05:28:50 pm
      I think Jürgen will make an example of this. He has spoken a lot about the increasing demands on players as a whole.

I think we could see basically our entire youth team out for the Villa tie and we will take the squad we intended for the CWC. Absolute joke to be honest.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,788 posts | 1958 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3: Nov 05, 2019 05:36:45 pm
      What a complete f**king joke
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,788 posts | 1958 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Nov 05, 2019 05:38:40 pm
      Shocked we are playing the League Cup game one day ahead of the Club World Cup, because I thought the younger group (last two League Cup matches) would be utilized pretty heavily for the semifinal game of the World event, probably against the Mexico champions.

I guess any rotation between he semifinal and the final will be among the 18 players that are typically named to the first team matchday lineup.

The only other scenario would be dropping deep into the U18 lineup for the League Cup game, but hopefully that is not the intention. It will probably be the U23s......but I didn't expect the match to be played in December.

Will have to take more than 18 players to Qatar in case of injuries etc
      glennusmc
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,774 posts | 117 
      Reply #5: Nov 05, 2019 05:47:57 pm
      Stupid question, but I’ll ask, do we even have enough players to field two Competitive teams in 2 separate countries??
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,299 posts | 1321 
      Reply #6: Nov 05, 2019 05:50:38 pm
      Stupid question, but I’ll ask, do we even have enough players to field two Competitive teams in 2 separate countries??

Who's on the free agents list for a game? Jack Rodwell? I wouldn't mind a go as the back up keeper for the second XI.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2019 05:55:21 pm by fields of anny rd »
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,505 posts | 180 
      Reply #7: Nov 05, 2019 06:09:47 pm
      I don't think I've ever seen 9 games in a month before...

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,225 posts | 321 
      Reply #8: Nov 05, 2019 06:10:57 pm
      Looks like the 23s will play Villa and the bigger squad go to Quatar to play the two games or we wouldnt have agreed to it . Klopp has no interest whatsoever in the Carabou and will more than likely field a weaker team than Arsenal
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 40,186 posts | 3947 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Nov 05, 2019 06:31:48 pm
      F**k the what ever it’s called this season cup off. Rather win the Club World Cup.

Can forget beating Villa with a U23 side. Though I suspect the likes of Shaqiri will stay behind for it...if fit obviously.

Ridiculous.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,971 posts | 4351 
      Reply #10: Nov 05, 2019 06:44:29 pm
      Be a massive up yours to FIFA and the whole Qatar thing if they sent to the kids for the club world cup.

But, obviously, they won't.  Good luck in the semi's to Villa.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #11: Nov 05, 2019 07:08:34 pm

Sure - we just have to drop down into the Academy to finish the 2nd group (League Cup) out.

As FK10 says, we will need more than 18 to take to Qatar just in case. So for example:

Squad to Qatar for Club World Cup - 24 players
      GK: Alisson, Adrian, Lonergan (3)
      D: Trent, Robbo, Milner, Hoever, Virgil, Matip, Gomez, Lovren (8)
      M: Gini, Fab, Hendo, Keita, Ox, Lallana, one more (7)
      F: Salah, Mane, Bobby, Origi, Shaq, Brewster (6)

Squad to play Villa in League Cup quarterfinal - 22
      GK: Kelleher, Backup Youth keeper like Dan Atherton or Winterbottom (2)
      D: Neco Williams, Larouci, Gallacher, Boyes, Van den Berg, Clayton, Gallacher, Koumetio (8)
      M: Kane, Clarkson, Chirivella, Christie-Davies, Dixon-Bonner, Lewis, Cain (7)
      F: Jones, Elliott, Stewart, Hill, Longstaff (5)

That leaves probably either Jones r Elliott to go to Qatar with the first group. All of these players have at least trained with the first team and most have been named to a matchday squad at some point.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #12: Nov 05, 2019 07:33:06 pm
      The EFL statement says they accepted a request from the club (us). Probably Klopp got pissed off with the EFL waffling and said.."Ah sod it..we'll just play the feckin' thing"

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/november/aston-villa-v-liverpool-carabao-cup-quarter-final-tie-confirmed/

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,043 posts | 2105 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #13: Nov 05, 2019 07:39:47 pm
      Jamie Carragher will assist Alex Inglethorpe as Alex will manage the League Cup match.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,240 posts | 842 
      Reply #14: Nov 05, 2019 07:41:22 pm
      Let's be honest this is nothing short of an absolute disgrace. Every team should have the right to name their strongest team in all the competitions they take part in and the fact the Premier League and Football League both won't budge to accommodate that right is bitterly disappointing.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,330 posts | 90 
      Reply #15: Nov 05, 2019 07:45:26 pm
      I might be alone but don't give a f**k about this cwc, pointless competition.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,275 posts | 674 
      Reply #16: Nov 05, 2019 07:49:45 pm
      Klopp has already said he is willing to forfeit the Carabao Cup as we have other obligations.  He'll send the kids for the Carabao Cup match and take the senior team to Qatar for the CWC.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,402 posts | 2006 
      • From Doubters to Believers
      Reply #17: Nov 05, 2019 07:54:04 pm
      Greedy f***in bas**rds getting their cake and eating it with scant disregard to the health of the players,  ,this could set precedent for the future where authorities dictate that clubs have big enough squads to cover two matches,
      We are already f***in swamped by far too many games both domestically and internationally, 

Its clear and obvious corporate wealth comes before player's health and the only people who will pay consequences apart from injured players are the fans who once again are given no consideration by the suits in charge.  Kunts  ! !

V - very
      A - Avaricious
      R - Rats

YNWA
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,506 posts | 508 
      Reply #18: Nov 05, 2019 07:57:03 pm
      Let's be honest this is nothing short of an absolute disgrace. Every team should have the right to name their strongest team in all the competitions they take part in and the fact the Premier League and Football League both won't budge to accommodate that right is bitterly disappointing.

No grounds to complain really,gotta big ole squad earning a nice wage,play em.Fans whinge about it being a mickey mouse cup etc,and no club plays there f**king strongest line up.Lets suck it up and pick and mix 2 teams and go for it.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 834 posts | 81 
      Reply #19: Nov 05, 2019 07:59:53 pm
      Anyone know what the rules are regarding naming a squad for the WCC? I’m just assuming some players could play against Villa then get on a plane in time to get there for the final on the 21st
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,299 posts | 1321 
      Reply #20: Nov 05, 2019 09:59:22 pm
      Jamie Carragher will assist Alex Inglethorpe as Alex will manage the League Cup match.

That's not happening ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,971 posts | 4351 
      Reply #21: Nov 05, 2019 10:09:13 pm
      Anyone know what the rules are regarding naming a squad for the WCC? I’m just assuming some players could play against Villa then get on a plane in time to get there for the final on the 21st

Was thinking that myself but I'm assuming you have to name a squad for it.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 834 posts | 81 
      Reply #22: Nov 05, 2019 10:14:32 pm
      Was thinking that myself but I'm assuming you have to name a squad for it.
      Me too but equally I assume that the names squad doesn’t necessarily need to be there on the 18th
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 40,186 posts | 3947 
      Reply #23: Nov 05, 2019 10:58:08 pm
      That leaves probably either Jones r Elliott to go to Qatar with the first group. All of these players have at least trained with the first team and most have been named to a matchday squad at some point.

They've only featured in the League Cup so I'd have thought both will be staying behind, likewise Brewster. They only ever get game time in the competition so I'd be surprised if they wound up on the bench in Qatar where they are likely to again not feature at all. Makes more sense for them to stay behind.

I'm struggling to believe that La Liga, Serie A or any other league seeing any of their teams put in this situation. I'm sure they could have re-arranged this game easily enough.

If we lose to Villa then we lose to Villa, we actually go into a game with the odds firmly against us for a change, so if we win, what an achievement that would be for all the players that get to play that game.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,225 posts | 321 
      Reply #24: Nov 05, 2019 10:59:36 pm
      They've only featured in the League Cup so I'd have thought both will be staying behind, likewise Brewster. They only ever get game time in the competition so I'd be surprised if they wound up on the bench in Qatar where they are likely to again not feature at all. Makes more sense for them to stay behind.

I'm struggling to believe that La Liga, Serie A or any other league seeing any of their teams put in this situation. I'm sure they could have re-arranged this game easily enough.

Most other big leagues have ditched their second cup thats why
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 40,186 posts | 3947 
      Reply #25: Nov 05, 2019 11:02:07 pm
      Most other big leagues have ditched their second cup thats why

Not really the point I was making. But that said, this cup would be no loss to the game.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #26: Nov 05, 2019 11:14:46 pm
      Not really the point I was making. But that said, this cup would be no loss to the game.

But the ELP point out that 130 territories took last years final. Try telling Oxford and Colchester that this cup should be scrapped. This cup offers smaller clubs a chance to play big teams. As does the FA cup.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 40,186 posts | 3947 
      Reply #27: Nov 05, 2019 11:30:27 pm
      But the ELP point out that 130 territories took last years final. Try telling Oxford and Colchester that this cup should be scrapped. This cup offers smaller clubs a chance to play big teams. As does the FA cup.

No disrespect to that level of team but in all honesty, I couldn't give a toss about what opportunities it may or may not give them because it's us I'm interested in. If they got rid of it and just had the FA Cup, it would soon be forgotten. The fact they are constantly changing the name of it and then don't even consider helping out a team that is in a couple of games that rarely come around shows where it's at. Guarantee if we had binned it and said we won't play the game then the club would get slapped with a fine. Which goes back to my point, I doubt other leagues would have teams put in this situation and as rossyred said, some of their equivalent cups have been scrapped but yet they are managing fine without it so I'm sure the likes of Colchester and Oxford will soon get over it.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,157 posts | 506 
      Reply #28: Nov 05, 2019 11:45:22 pm
      We can mobilise our legends. No lack of household names. Otherwise do a mass public recruitment. I'd sign up.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,157 posts | 506 
      Reply #29: Nov 05, 2019 11:47:34 pm
      Be a massive up yours to FIFA and the whole Qatar thing if they sent to the kids for the club world cup.

But, obviously, they won't.  Good luck in the semi's to Villa.

Withdrawal and boycott would be a definite up yours to either competition.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,556 posts | 2082 
      Reply #30: Nov 06, 2019 12:02:38 am
      Name all the main players in the cwc 21 man squad but leave 5-6 behind for the Villa game and then send them out for the final, problem solved.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #31: Nov 06, 2019 12:03:07 am
      Withdrawal and boycott would be a definite up yours to either competition.

Lets not kid ourselves here.We are going to get a shed load of dosh for the Qatar gig. And yes that's important but I wouldn't want us to pull out of any fixture. The league Cup is not a priority but it gives younger and fringe players a chance.Maybe the ELP should've tried a bit harder to find another date, but in the end it was us that said "Ok go ahead as planned".

It will be a great experience for the younger players and who knows it might just be the stage for one of them to show something special.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #32: Nov 06, 2019 12:05:37 am
      Name all the main players in the cwc 21 man squad but leave 5-6 behind for the Villa game and then send them out for the final, problem solved.

I know and we only need about 7 players for the Villa game..Milner can fill the other 4 position...so he can..
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #33: Nov 06, 2019 12:13:47 am

If we lose to Villa then we lose to Villa, we actually go into a game with the odds firmly against us for a change, so if we win, what an achievement that would be for all the players that get to play that game.

Agree it will be better for those two to stay and play, just not sure how many Jürgen wants to take for the sake of depth/insurance in case of injury (or even rotating between the semi and final with league matches just before and after the trip to Qatar.

Also agree about those other leagues not allowing this, although of course there are fewer and fewer League Cups remaining with France ending theirs after this season. And yes, it will be a good experience for those young players. Minus the guys who have been part of those teams in the first two rounds, especially a veteran like Milner, it will be a very uphill trek for our  kids - but I'm interested to see it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #34: Nov 06, 2019 12:15:23 am

So 21 is the number they are allowed to take?

Are you saying for the first game only have 3 or 4 players on the bench? (I may be misunderstanding what you are saying).
      king kenny
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,240 posts | 174 
      Reply #35: Nov 06, 2019 01:10:29 am
      I think the club should have had the game after the world club cup.  Whether next day a week later.  It would have a given an opportunity for squad players.  If we were to concede to playing it a day after another game then surely there were better dates where all the players were in the country.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,505 posts | 180 
      Reply #36: Nov 06, 2019 02:36:04 am
      Don’t understand why a premier league game couldn’t be postponed to free up the schedule. Not unheard of over the Xmas period...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,841 posts | 3431 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #37: Nov 06, 2019 05:00:49 am
      What a Bullshit decision from the "powers that be"...just ridiculous but this is Liverpool, so I fully expect us to win both games, no f**king problems but I do love JD's idea about f**king up everyone and sending the kids to the CWC...that would be hilarious.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 361 posts | 82 
      Reply #38: Nov 06, 2019 07:24:38 am
      I have an alternate team ready to play in the league cup. There you go all problem solved.

Credit to the guy in Reddit for this.
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,139 posts | 274 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #39: Nov 06, 2019 08:22:26 am
      Its a farce, but at least will give the majority of u23/u18s squad some great experience playing in a league cup quarter final.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,556 posts | 2082 
      Reply #40: Nov 06, 2019 08:26:57 am
      I know and we only need about 7 players for the Villa game..Milner can fill the other 4 position...so he can..

I was kind of thinking that the rest of the team can be filled out with the lads who played against Arsenal, but I assume you knew that! ;-)

In any case this seems like a good compromise and gives us a chance of beating Villa whilst still having a strong enough team for the semi final.

It would mean having a weak bench in both matches but you can only make 3 subs anyway so should be ok. most of our players are quite versatile anyway.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 76 
      Reply #41: Nov 06, 2019 08:52:43 am
      Great first line of the opening post. If you know, you know  ;D
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,507 posts | 2015 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #42: Nov 06, 2019 09:44:32 am
      The answer is really very simple.

The League Cup gives you £100k prise money & a Europa League place.

As far as I can tell,
      FIFA Club World Cup prize money: (and a shiny gold badge)
      1st $5m
      2nd $4m
      3rd $2.5m
      4th $2m

As we enter at the semi final stage, we're quids in with out kicking a ball, and there is no guarantee we will win the League Cup.

The League Cup was a good trophy to win, but now, and it pains me to say this, it's an inconvenience. It's the English League Cup, we're not in the English League, The PL teams should have the option of letting this one pass, especially the teams in European cups.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #43: Nov 06, 2019 11:48:31 am
      9 games in December. In 25 days or so.The Qatar games are Wed 18th & Sat 21 if we get through to the final. We are playing Watford on Saturday 14th.

The logistics of it mean that the Boss has to pick the WC Semi final in ADVANCE  and the Viila game.
      Could play Villa on Tuesdee 17th.

It's obviously not beyond the boss to play a team similar to the team that beat Arsenal. And play a strong team for Wed 18th Semi final. Then decide who to fly out for the final on Sat 21st if we make it.As Heimdall suggested.

He's obviously not going to play a player on Tuesdee for the Villa game then again the next day for the Semi.

I'm happy..that's my December sorted..footie up to the eyeballs...can't wack it..
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts | 55 
      Reply #44: Nov 06, 2019 12:14:22 pm

It's funny that I was actually thinking might we even register Carra for that game? Carra and Agger looked good last time I watched them.
      RedWilly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,055 posts | 1098 
      Reply #45: Nov 06, 2019 12:48:20 pm
      Great first line of the opening post. If you know, you know  ;D

Haha did not pick up on that. Disturbing high school memories :D
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 23,411 posts | 2928 
      Reply #46: Nov 06, 2019 01:17:32 pm
      Can see Klopp managing both teams, 8 hour flight with Qatar 2 hours ahead.. he’ll make it..

I don’t see the Boss not being on the touch line for the Villa game.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,971 posts | 4351 
      Reply #47: Nov 06, 2019 01:27:15 pm
      Okay so here's the team that faced Arsenal in the last round of the cup.

Kelleher, Williams, Milner, Gomez, van den Berg, Lallana, Keïta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Elliott, Origi, Brewster
      Subs: Adrián, Kane, Larouci, Clarkson, Koumetio, Jones, Chirivella

There's probably seven players in that side that Klopp would want to include in his World Club Cup squad.

Milner, Gomez, Lallana, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Origi, Adrian.

Adrian - can probably travel and use Lonergan in his place.

Down to six.

There's then an argument to be made about sending Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Origi to Qatar to prevent us looking too light, but we should be able to win a semi final without them?

And arguably without Oxlade-Chamberlain and Origi it's very hard to see even the remotest chance of us beating what will be a far more senior Villa team at the QF stage.

So I'd keep the League Cup 18/17 from the last round intact, send a strong first XI to Qatar and then send half a dozen of them to Qatar after the League Cup game.  Doing that should also stop any potential squad disharmony about who gets to fly out first etc, which 'could' create an issue for Klopp?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,971 posts | 4351 
      Reply #48: Nov 06, 2019 01:28:57 pm
      Can see Klopp managing both teams, 8 hour flight with Qatar 2 hours ahead.. he’ll make it..

Did anyone get this fella's phone number in Madrid?

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,299 posts | 1321 
      Reply #49: Nov 06, 2019 01:56:40 pm
      It's a situation that the club will have to manage IF they take the decision to give us the best chance of competing on both fronts.

We dont have too many divas in the squad which helps, but I would guess a lot of first team players would not be happy staying at home when there's a chance to shine on the world stage and all the extra things that can bring to a player in the modern game.

What would be best for the club and our chances of progressing would be 2 hybrid squads of first team and youth, but I think the club will take the strongest lineup possible to Qatar and fob the league cup off. That is what would be best for the individual players, and perhaps long term team harmony.

I read Klopp must be in Qatar for the 3 days leading up to the first game (I guess to do press and media stuff) so I cant see him being at Villa Park.

If we progressed beyond the quarters of the carabao I guess the question is do we really want to a 2 leg tie against a rival where we would feel compelled to play a strong team?
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2019 02:05:59 pm by fields of anny rd »
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,157 posts | 506 
      Reply #50: Nov 06, 2019 03:14:36 pm

He will manage both games. In this day and age, he could attend the first one and e-manage the second. Just as how these days red carded managers deliver instructions to the touchline. Leverage on technology. If he doesn't do that, I'm sure some will question why can't he, when a solution is already out there.

All these would be impossible during Shanks, Bob and King Kenny's days.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,157 posts | 506 
      Reply #51: Nov 06, 2019 03:21:08 pm
      The answer is really very simple.

The League Cup gives you £100k prise money & a Europa League place.

As far as I can tell,
      FIFA Club World Cup prize money: (and a shiny gold badge)
      1st $5m
      2nd $4m
      3rd $2.5m
      4th $2m

As we enter at the semi final stage, we're quids in with out kicking a ball, and there is no guarantee we will win the League Cup.

The League Cup was a good trophy to win, but now, and it pains me to say this, it's an inconvenience. It's the English League Cup, we're not in the English League, The PL teams should have the option of letting this one pass, especially the teams in European cups.

Sums it up. Give that league cup a miss. Money talks.

The option teams make is by voting through the players they field. While inducing a walkover is too strong a public statement or rebellion, we will just field our backup, youth and academy players.

That bunch of kids, maybe they'll return with a good result? Nobody knows.

Anyone knows for sure please tell me. I'll bet everything I have, on your for sure outcome.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 23,411 posts | 2928 
      Reply #52: Nov 06, 2019 03:45:34 pm
      Klopp naming his team to face Villa...😂

https://twitter.com/anfieldrd96/status/1191789314847498240?s=21
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,157 posts | 506 
      Reply #53: Nov 06, 2019 04:02:40 pm
      Seems like FIFA and the EFL cannot get along. Why should we be paying for their disagreement?

LFC statement on Carabao Cup tie with Aston Villa
      Liverpool Football Club can confirm our Carabao Cup quarter-final tie at Aston Villa will take place on Tuesday December 17, 2019.

As a result, we will be utilising two playing squads simultaneously, with one squad participating in the FIFA Club World Cup in Qatar and another in the Carabao Cup.

The club would like to take this opportunity to underline that while this is not an ideal scenario, it is an outcome which was arrived at with the best interests of the competition, our fellow clubs and ourselves as the sole motivating factor.

We would like to thank the EFL for their efforts to accommodate us and we can confirm alternative dates were discussed, but ultimately none were considered suitable without compromising the scheduling of the competition itself or placing an undue strain on our playing staff.

Full ticket details for this fixture will follow on Liverpoolfc.com.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/372222-club-statement-carabao-cup-aston-villa
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #54: Nov 06, 2019 04:37:38 pm
      He will manage both games. In this day and age, he could attend the first one and e-manage the second. Just as how these days red carded managers deliver instructions to the touchline. Leverage on technology. If he doesn't do that, I'm sure some will question why can't he, when a solution is already out there.

All these would be impossible during Shanks, Bob and King Kenny's days.

The North Korean dictator managed his national team when they played at the World Cup in South Africa. He just sent brain waves to the touchline puppet manager (think this was after he shot an 18 for 18 holes at golf). So electronics not even necessary.
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2019 04:44:23 pm by Robby The Z »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #55: Nov 06, 2019 04:44:05 pm
      Okay so here's the team that faced Arsenal in the last round of the cup.

Kelleher, Williams, Milner, Gomez, van den Berg, Lallana, Keïta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Elliott, Origi, Brewster
      Subs: Adrián, Kane, Larouci, Clarkson, Koumetio, Jones, Chirivella

There's probably seven players in that side that Klopp would want to include in his World Club Cup squad.

Milner, Gomez, Lallana, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Origi, Adrian.

Adrian - can probably travel and use Lonergan in his place.

Down to six.

There's then an argument to be made about sending Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Origi to Qatar to prevent us looking too light, but we should be able to win a semi final without them?

And arguably without Oxlade-Chamberlain and Origi it's very hard to see even the remotest chance of us beating what will be a far more senior Villa team at the QF stage.

So I'd keep the League Cup 18/17 from the last round intact, send a strong first XI to Qatar and then send half a dozen of them to Qatar after the League Cup game.  Doing that should also stop any potential squad disharmony about who gets to fly out first etc, which 'could' create an issue for Klopp?

This is Anfield is reporting that CWC rules state all squad members have to be present in Qatar by the Monday after the Watford match (16th) - so that would leave out the idea of flying players in after the League Cup match. I don't see a citation for this so I don't know if it is correct.

But I really don't think any senior players will stay back - they will all go to Qatar and stay with the squad. Maybe a couple of kids as well just to cover all scenarios (although I get it is  more valuable to stay back and play against Villa than to go to Qatar and not even dress for the match).

The respective squads we can debate all day, but I DO think we would take 3 goalkeepers to Qatar as a contingency. Lonergan would likely go and Kelleher would stay and play.
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2019 09:08:48 pm by Robby The Z »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,292 posts | 3742 
      Reply #56: Nov 06, 2019 06:33:19 pm
      Can't we field a team of ringers, ask the blueshite if they've got 11 players who want to play in a big cup match?
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 23,411 posts | 2928 
      Reply #57: Nov 06, 2019 07:39:31 pm
      Can't we field a team of ringers, ask the blueshite if they've got 11 players who want to play in a big cup match?

😂

Do we take the mantle as the ‘ New Harlem Globe Trotters’...

heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,556 posts | 2082 
      Reply #58: Nov 06, 2019 08:07:20 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #59: Nov 06, 2019 09:11:30 pm
      😂

Do we take the mantle as the ‘ New Harlem Globe Trotters’...

How about an LFC Reds Forum All-Star XI?! Are you a natural left-footer or right?

I guess dunlop liddell shankly would have to be our manager..

Not sure about the rest of the lineup but billythered MUST be a touch-tackling center half.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #60: Nov 07, 2019 01:19:09 am
      This is Anfield is reporting that CWC rules state all squad members have to be present in Qatar by the Monday after the Watford match (16th) - so that would leave out the idea of flying players in after the League Cup match. I don't see a citation for this so I don't know if it is correct.

But I really don't think any senior players will stay back - they will all go to Qatar and stay with the squad. Maybe a couple of kids as well just to cover all scenarios (although I get it is  more valuable to stay back and play against Villa than to go to Qatar and not even dress for the match).

The respective squads we can debate all day, but I DO think we would take 3 goalkeepers to Qatar as a contingency. Lonergan would likely go and Kelleher would stay and play.

Regulations say the final squad must be 23 players drawn from the provisional lists of players of each club
      and those players and managers, coaches, officials must all submit a legally valid passport and photo before the Fifa Club World Cup starts.Any player etc who does not will not recieve official accreditation and won't be allowed to take part.

So I assume the squad etc once settled in etc will then submit proof of identity to get accreditation. Might need special permission from Fifa to fly players in after the Semi final.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,157 posts | 506 
      Reply #61: Nov 07, 2019 10:07:54 am
      How about an LFC Reds Forum All-Star XI?! Are you a natural left-footer or right?

I guess dunlop liddell shankly would have to be our manager..

Not sure about the rest of the lineup but billythered MUST be a touch-tackling center half.

I'll be your no nonsense manager, ready to bench anyone who underperforms.

Oh DLS is manager. I'd like to be Michael Edwards then. Trading off underperformers. :aaliverpool2xt1:
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #62: Nov 07, 2019 01:31:53 pm
      These rules and regs regarding players getting fully accredited for the CWC are defititely a bar to the club playing players against Villa and then flying them out for the final on the Saturday.

You would think FIFA might show a bit of flexibility in the circumstances.Or that the EPL might advise Fifa that no other date could be found for the Villa game and request they give us permission to fly players out after the semi final of the CWC.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #63: Nov 07, 2019 02:27:26 pm
      I'll be your no nonsense manager, ready to bench anyone who underperforms.

Oh DLS is manager. I'd like to be Michael Edwards then. Trading off underperformers. :aaliverpool2xt1:

Fail to score in one match - you're benched. Fail to score from the bench in game 2, you're sold to Mongolia. But if you are sold for less than 50 million, that's bad business, just like when a day goes by that you don't buy anybody famous.
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts | 11 
      Reply #64: Nov 07, 2019 04:11:04 pm
      I might be alone but don't give a f**k about this cwc, pointless competition.

Yeah, I'll be honest, wasn't even aware this competition existed until recently ;D

When you have a cup where almost all of the competition doesn't even start the tournament, it isn't much of a competition ;D.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #65: Nov 07, 2019 05:04:33 pm
      Yeah, I'll be honest, wasn't even aware this competition existed until recently ;D

When you have a cup where almost all of the competition doesn't even start the tournament, it isn't much of a competition ;D.

Used to be the one-game Intercontinental "Cup" with just the European and South American champion. Didn't pretend any of those other teams really had a chance. Seems like it was always in Japan, so still a wrinkle in the crowded schedule.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,841 posts | 3431 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #66: Nov 07, 2019 11:07:33 pm
      2 games, 2 cups, 2 WINS.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #67: Nov 08, 2019 01:41:32 pm
      Obviously the club knew these games were on the fixture list. 5 tournaments with our squad is pushing it. Not adding to the squad could become an issue. I was surprised we didn't.But we can't argue given our current position - top + almost through to C/L knockout stage.Still in League cup. I'd still like to see a move made in the window. Long season etc.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #68: Nov 08, 2019 03:53:18 pm
      We might be looking at 33 separate starters in the 3 games. I checked and the squad for the CWC is 23 players. That will be two for each position and a third goalkeeper. Doesn't mean Klopp full make 11 changes from the semi to the final but I can see him doing it.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #69: Nov 09, 2019 03:00:35 am
      I would give up both cups in exchange for 3 points this sunday
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 40,186 posts | 3947 
      Reply #70: Nov 09, 2019 09:47:32 am

You’d give up two bits of silverware when we will still be top regardless of the outcome vs City, with well over half the season to play. 3 points on Sunday guarantees nothing.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #71: Nov 09, 2019 12:07:29 pm
      You’d give up two bits of silverware when we will still be top regardless of the outcome vs City, with well over half the season to play. 3 points on Sunday guarantees nothing.

We aren't in the final of thhe caraboa cup
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 40,186 posts | 3947 
      Reply #72: Nov 09, 2019 12:16:48 pm
      We aren't in the final of thhe caraboa cup

Did I say we were? But your happy to forgo 2 competitions for the sake of 3 points so early in the season.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #73: Nov 09, 2019 12:20:45 pm
      Did I say we were? But your happy to forgo 2 competitions for the sake of 3 points so early in the season.

A 9 point lead even now is the equivalent of being 3-0 up against Palace at half time. Just because city brought it back last time doesn't mean it will always happen.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #74: Nov 09, 2019 01:08:04 pm

You should know football doesn't work like that. Yes we can prioritise, but we can't switch it on at will. I know your point is the League for us has almost become the holy grail as we should be prepered to forgo everything to get to that pinnacle. But football isn't instant oven ready flick of a switch stuff.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 40,186 posts | 3947 
      Reply #75: Nov 09, 2019 01:22:30 pm
      A 9 point lead even now is the equivalent of being 3-0 up against Palace at half time. Just because city brought it back last time doesn't mean it will always happen.

Yeah and look what happened, we lost focus and finished 3-3 so that’s a poor thing to try and justify your point with. Only a fool would assume the title will be decided on Sunday if we get the win because we will drop more points this season and City will go on another long winning run. 9 points is great but means nothing. A mater of weeks ago we were 8 clear, then it dropped to 6, last week it was very nearly 4 and come Sunday there’s a chance it could be down to 3. 9 point gap can be turned around very quickly.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #76: Nov 09, 2019 01:35:33 pm
      You should know football doesn't work like that. Yes we can prioritise, but we can't switch it on at will. I know your point is the League for us has almost become the holy grail as we should be prepered to forgo everything to get to that pinnacle. But football isn't instant oven ready flick of a switch stuff.

Did you honestly believe that I think football works that way?

I'm talking a hypothetical scenario
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #77: Nov 09, 2019 01:36:21 pm
      Yeah and look what happened, we lost focus and finished 3-3 so that’s a poor thing to try and justify your point with. Only a fool would assume the title will be decided on Sunday if we get the win because we will drop more points this season and City will go on another long winning run. 9 points is great but means nothing. A mater of weeks ago we were 8 clear, then it dropped to 6, last week it was very nearly 4 and come Sunday there’s a chance it could be down to 3. 9 point gap can be turned around very quickly.

A 9 point gap is better than a 6 point. Therefore I'd take it over 2 cups that more than likely won't be even in existence in 10 yrs
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #78: Nov 09, 2019 01:38:52 pm

That's right and you can't isolate the league to the exemption of every other, not in a football or financial sense. You get 3 points max for every game and nothing will be decided tomorrow.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,643 posts | 507 
      Reply #79: Nov 09, 2019 08:39:29 pm
      Quote from billythered
      Greedy f***in bas**rds getting their cake and eating it with scant disregard to the health of the players,  ,this could set precedent for the future where authorities dictate that clubs have big enough squads to cover two matches,
      We are already f***in swamped by far too many games both domestically and internationally, 

Its clear and obvious corporate wealth comes before player's health and the only people who will pay consequences apart from injured players are the fans who once again are given no consideration by the suits in charge.  Kunts  ! !

V - very
      A - Avaricious
      R - Rats

YNWA

I don't know what the VAR link is, or indeed what competition you're angry about, but if it's the WCC, it is compulsory for teams who win the European Cup to play the WCC. And who amongst us, does not want to win the European Cup?

If it's the League Cup, we know what the story is. The FA refuse to assist their own clubs. Even after Hillsborough, they were contacting us within 48 hours of the postponement demanding to know, when we were going to play the semi final. We told them to shove it until we were ready, and if they didn't like it, they could put Forest in the final.

Quote from Harrisimo
      9 games in December. In 25 days or so.The Qatar games are Wed 18th & Sat 21 if we get through to the final. We are playing Watford on Saturday 14th.

I'm happy..that's my December sorted..footie up to the eyeballs...can't wack it..

When was it ever any different? December is rush hour in English football, as many games as possible for every club. I suppose this is what Beckenbauer meant when he said English football "robs you of energy". But still they come from all over the world to play it and watch it, knowing full well they have no Christmas. 

Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Only a fool would assume the title will be decided on Sunday if we get the win because we will drop more points this season and City will go on another long winning run. 9 points is great but means nothing. A mater of weeks ago we were 8 clear, then it dropped to 6, last week it was very nearly 4 and come Sunday there’s a chance it could be down to 3. 9 point gap can be turned around very quickly.

A win tomorrow will give us an 8 point gap at the top, just as we had for the last international break. I don't think anyone sensible will say the league is over, but by contrast, if we were 8 points behind by now, everyone would.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #80: Nov 10, 2019 03:00:08 pm
      Did you honestly believe that I think football works that way?

I'm talking a hypothetical scenario

Wellcome back Ben...take your point..
      tezmac
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,619 posts | 186 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #81: Nov 10, 2019 03:44:40 pm
      Let's hope it's 9 points by tonight
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |