Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Monterrey?

Alisson
      56 (67.5%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      14 (16.9%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (7.2%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      5 (6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Dec 22, 2019 07:21:46 pm

CF Monterrey 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 15603 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: CF Monterrey 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Dec 20, 2019 10:53:00 am
      Jürgen didn't underestimate them, some of the fans did unfortunately. This is the WCC. Every side in it, bar the hosts, is a champion of their continent and are used to winning big games. As are we. The fact we don't know much about them or recognise the qualities they have, is our loss.

I expected to win, but I knew it would be a hard competitive game, which it was. These are big games for these teams, and the notion that they would lie down for us to reach the final, was hopelessly unrealistic. Look at the fight a team from Saudi Arabia that nobody ever heard of, gave Flamengo. There's no Watford standard at this tournament, so if you want to win games, you have to earn it. And we got there, eventually.

Flamengo are another step up in quality. This is more important to them than the Libertadores, so we have to match their enthusiasm. Hopefully, we'll win this at the 4th attempt.

So if Klopp did not underestimate them why did he start with Trent, Bobby and Sadio on the bench? Personally I think he did underestimate them a little bit, but I also think that by bringing those three on we managed to swiftly move through our gears and we would have won that game quite easily in extra time if Bobby hadn't scored the late winner.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #323: Dec 20, 2019 11:42:44 am
      So if Klopp did not underestimate them why did he start with Trent, Bobby and Sadio on the bench? Personally I think he did underestimate them a little bit, but I also think that by bringing those three on we managed to swiftly move through our gears and we would have won that game quite easily in extra time if Bobby hadn't scored the late winner.

I understand that to win the final first you have to get there, but it was good that the likes of Trent, Mane & Firmino only had 20 minutes in their legs. Should be fresher for the final. Unlike the likes of Milner who gave everything in that game.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #324: Dec 20, 2019 02:08:28 pm
      I understand that to win the final first you have to get there, but it was good that the likes of Trent, Mane & Firmino only had 20 minutes in their legs. Should be fresher for the final. Unlike the likes of Milner who gave everything in that game.

yes, but it was a big gamble, if it wasn't for Allison we could easily have been a couple of goals down before they entered the game.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #325: Dec 20, 2019 04:14:28 pm
      yes, but it was a big gamble, if it wasn't for Allison we could easily have been a couple of goals down before they entered the game.

And that's why Alisson started.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #326: Dec 20, 2019 11:16:06 pm

And if Bobby hadn’t been put on, he wouldn’t have scored the winner.

No point looking at the scenario would have been if certain players were or were not playing because it’s all completely hypothetical. Adrian could have started and we could have won 6-0 for all we know.

Quick Reply