Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

2 games, 2 cups

Read 20595 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      2 games, 2 cups
      Nov 05, 2019 05:07:03 pm
      No, not another unwelcome sequel to the 2007 cult classic but rather the predicament we find ourselves in, on December 17 and 18.

It has now been confirmed that we are to play Villa in the Carabao Cup the day before  we play the Club World Cup in Qatar

www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11669/11855017/liverpools-carabao-cup-quarter-final-at-aston-villa-confirmed

Seems as though the plan is to play 2 seperate squads simultaneously so it will be interesting to see which one we prioritise now or if it's a mix of youth and experience in both squads. Also as to which side Jürgen chooses to take charge of.

All very silly but the price of success it seems.

The bigger picture beyond this not being particularly fair, is the question which will the club deem most important?

With constant rumours of World and Euro Leagues taking over the traditional English calendar I think we will see the club take its strongest side to Qatar, and the younger boys to face the music at Villa Park.

Factors such as sponsorship, image rights, Fifa awards all seem to point towards that decision.

It could actually be a bit of a watershed moment for the English game I believe, and a problem all of their own making from the EFL.

Perhaps an idea to have a forum poll as to which cup we want to see prioritised now, or the third option of a mixture of youth and experience in both squads?
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2019 05:32:48 pm by fields of anny rd »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: 2 games, 2 cups
      Reply #1: Nov 05, 2019 05:23:37 pm
      Shocked we are playing the League Cup game one day ahead of the Club World Cup, because I thought the younger group (last two League Cup matches) would be utilized pretty heavily for the semifinal game of the World event, probably against the Mexico champions.

I guess any rotation between he semifinal and the final will be among the 18 players that are typically named to the first team matchday lineup.

The only other scenario would be dropping deep into the U18 lineup for the League Cup game, but hopefully that is not the intention. It will probably be the U23s......but I didn't expect the match to be played in December.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #2: Nov 05, 2019 05:28:50 pm
      I think Jürgen will make an example of this. He has spoken a lot about the increasing demands on players as a whole.

I think we could see basically our entire youth team out for the Villa tie and we will take the squad we intended for the CWC. Absolute joke to be honest.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3393 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3: Nov 05, 2019 05:36:45 pm
      What a complete F***ing joke
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3393 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Nov 05, 2019 05:38:40 pm
      Shocked we are playing the League Cup game one day ahead of the Club World Cup, because I thought the younger group (last two League Cup matches) would be utilized pretty heavily for the semifinal game of the World event, probably against the Mexico champions.

I guess any rotation between he semifinal and the final will be among the 18 players that are typically named to the first team matchday lineup.

The only other scenario would be dropping deep into the U18 lineup for the League Cup game, but hopefully that is not the intention. It will probably be the U23s......but I didn't expect the match to be played in December.

Will have to take more than 18 players to Qatar in case of injuries etc
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,753 posts | 460 
      Reply #5: Nov 05, 2019 05:47:57 pm
      Stupid question, but I’ll ask, do we even have enough players to field two Competitive teams in 2 separate countries??
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #6: Nov 05, 2019 05:50:38 pm
      Stupid question, but I’ll ask, do we even have enough players to field two Competitive teams in 2 separate countries??

Who's on the free agents list for a game? Jack Rodwell? I wouldn't mind a go as the back up keeper for the second XI.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2019 05:55:21 pm by fields of anny rd »
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #7: Nov 05, 2019 06:09:47 pm
      I don't think I've ever seen 9 games in a month before...

rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #8: Nov 05, 2019 06:10:57 pm
      Looks like the 23s will play Villa and the bigger squad go to Quatar to play the two games or we wouldnt have agreed to it . Klopp has no interest whatsoever in the Carabou and will more than likely field a weaker team than Arsenal
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Nov 05, 2019 06:31:48 pm
      F**k the what ever it’s called this season cup off. Rather win the Club World Cup.

Can forget beating Villa with a U23 side. Though I suspect the likes of Shaqiri will stay behind for it...if fit obviously.

Ridiculous.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,594 posts | 6926 
      Reply #10: Nov 05, 2019 06:44:29 pm
      Be a massive up yours to FIFA and the whole Qatar thing if they sent to the kids for the club world cup.

But, obviously, they won't.  Good luck in the semi's to Villa.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: Nov 05, 2019 07:08:34 pm

Sure - we just have to drop down into the Academy to finish the 2nd group (League Cup) out.

As FK10 says, we will need more than 18 to take to Qatar just in case. So for example:

Squad to Qatar for Club World Cup - 24 players
      GK: Alisson, Adrian, Lonergan (3)
      D: Trent, Robbo, Milner, Hoever, Virgil, Matip, Gomez, Lovren (8)
      M: Gini, Fab, Hendo, Keita, Ox, Lallana, one more (7)
      F: Salah, Mane, Bobby, Origi, Shaq, Brewster (6)

Squad to play Villa in League Cup quarterfinal - 22
      GK: Kelleher, Backup Youth keeper like Dan Atherton or Winterbottom (2)
      D: Neco Williams, Larouci, Gallacher, Boyes, Van den Berg, Clayton, Gallacher, Koumetio (8)
      M: Kane, Clarkson, Chirivella, Christie-Davies, Dixon-Bonner, Lewis, Cain (7)
      F: Jones, Elliott, Stewart, Hill, Longstaff (5)

That leaves probably either Jones r Elliott to go to Qatar with the first group. All of these players have at least trained with the first team and most have been named to a matchday squad at some point.
      Harrisimo

• 8,169 posts | 1384 
      Reply #12: Nov 05, 2019 07:33:06 pm
      The EFL statement says they accepted a request from the club (us). Probably Klopp got pissed off with the EFL waffling and said.."Ah sod it..we'll just play the feckin' thing"

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/november/aston-villa-v-liverpool-carabao-cup-quarter-final-tie-confirmed/

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #13: Nov 05, 2019 07:39:47 pm
      Jamie Carragher will assist Alex Inglethorpe as Alex will manage the League Cup match.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #14: Nov 05, 2019 07:41:22 pm
      Let's be honest this is nothing short of an absolute disgrace. Every team should have the right to name their strongest team in all the competitions they take part in and the fact the Premier League and Football League both won't budge to accommodate that right is bitterly disappointing.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,866 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: Nov 05, 2019 07:45:26 pm
      I might be alone but don't give a F**k about this cwc, pointless competition.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #16: Nov 05, 2019 07:49:45 pm
      Klopp has already said he is willing to forfeit the Carabao Cup as we have other obligations.  He'll send the kids for the Carabao Cup match and take the senior team to Qatar for the CWC.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #17: Nov 05, 2019 07:54:04 pm
      Greedy f***in bas**rds getting their cake and eating it with scant disregard to the health of the players,  ,this could set precedent for the future where authorities dictate that clubs have big enough squads to cover two matches,
      We are already f***in swamped by far too many games both domestically and internationally, 

Its clear and obvious corporate wealth comes before player's health and the only people who will pay consequences apart from injured players are the fans who once again are given no consideration by the suits in charge.  Kunts  ! !

V - very
      A - Avaricious
      R - Rats

YNWA
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #18: Nov 05, 2019 07:57:03 pm
      Let's be honest this is nothing short of an absolute disgrace. Every team should have the right to name their strongest team in all the competitions they take part in and the fact the Premier League and Football League both won't budge to accommodate that right is bitterly disappointing.

No grounds to complain really,gotta big ole squad earning a nice wage,play em.Fans whinge about it being a mickey mouse cup etc,and no club plays there F***ing strongest line up.Lets suck it up and pick and mix 2 teams and go for it.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #19: Nov 05, 2019 07:59:53 pm
      Anyone know what the rules are regarding naming a squad for the WCC? I’m just assuming some players could play against Villa then get on a plane in time to get there for the final on the 21st
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #20: Nov 05, 2019 09:59:22 pm
      Jamie Carragher will assist Alex Inglethorpe as Alex will manage the League Cup match.

That's not happening ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,594 posts | 6926 
      Reply #21: Nov 05, 2019 10:09:13 pm
      Anyone know what the rules are regarding naming a squad for the WCC? I’m just assuming some players could play against Villa then get on a plane in time to get there for the final on the 21st

Was thinking that myself but I'm assuming you have to name a squad for it.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #22: Nov 05, 2019 10:14:32 pm
      Was thinking that myself but I'm assuming you have to name a squad for it.
      Me too but equally I assume that the names squad doesn’t necessarily need to be there on the 18th

Quick Reply