Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

2 games, 2 cups

Read 20390 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: 2 games, 2 cups
      Reply #23: Nov 05, 2019 10:58:08 pm
      That leaves probably either Jones r Elliott to go to Qatar with the first group. All of these players have at least trained with the first team and most have been named to a matchday squad at some point.

They've only featured in the League Cup so I'd have thought both will be staying behind, likewise Brewster. They only ever get game time in the competition so I'd be surprised if they wound up on the bench in Qatar where they are likely to again not feature at all. Makes more sense for them to stay behind.

I'm struggling to believe that La Liga, Serie A or any other league seeing any of their teams put in this situation. I'm sure they could have re-arranged this game easily enough.

If we lose to Villa then we lose to Villa, we actually go into a game with the odds firmly against us for a change, so if we win, what an achievement that would be for all the players that get to play that game.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #24: Nov 05, 2019 10:59:36 pm
      They've only featured in the League Cup so I'd have thought both will be staying behind, likewise Brewster. They only ever get game time in the competition so I'd be surprised if they wound up on the bench in Qatar where they are likely to again not feature at all. Makes more sense for them to stay behind.

I'm struggling to believe that La Liga, Serie A or any other league seeing any of their teams put in this situation. I'm sure they could have re-arranged this game easily enough.

Most other big leagues have ditched their second cup thats why
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #25: Nov 05, 2019 11:02:07 pm
      Most other big leagues have ditched their second cup thats why

Not really the point I was making. But that said, this cup would be no loss to the game.
      Harrisimo

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Nov 05, 2019 11:14:46 pm
      Not really the point I was making. But that said, this cup would be no loss to the game.

But the ELP point out that 130 territories took last years final. Try telling Oxford and Colchester that this cup should be scrapped. This cup offers smaller clubs a chance to play big teams. As does the FA cup.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #27: Nov 05, 2019 11:30:27 pm
      But the ELP point out that 130 territories took last years final. Try telling Oxford and Colchester that this cup should be scrapped. This cup offers smaller clubs a chance to play big teams. As does the FA cup.

No disrespect to that level of team but in all honesty, I couldn't give a toss about what opportunities it may or may not give them because it's us I'm interested in. If they got rid of it and just had the FA Cup, it would soon be forgotten. The fact they are constantly changing the name of it and then don't even consider helping out a team that is in a couple of games that rarely come around shows where it's at. Guarantee if we had binned it and said we won't play the game then the club would get slapped with a fine. Which goes back to my point, I doubt other leagues would have teams put in this situation and as rossyred said, some of their equivalent cups have been scrapped but yet they are managing fine without it so I'm sure the likes of Colchester and Oxford will soon get over it.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #28: Nov 05, 2019 11:45:22 pm
      We can mobilise our legends. No lack of household names. Otherwise do a mass public recruitment. I'd sign up.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #29: Nov 05, 2019 11:47:34 pm
      Be a massive up yours to FIFA and the whole Qatar thing if they sent to the kids for the club world cup.

But, obviously, they won't.  Good luck in the semi's to Villa.

Withdrawal and boycott would be a definite up yours to either competition.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #30: Nov 06, 2019 12:02:38 am
      Name all the main players in the cwc 21 man squad but leave 5-6 behind for the Villa game and then send them out for the final, problem solved.
      Harrisimo

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #31: Nov 06, 2019 12:03:07 am
      Withdrawal and boycott would be a definite up yours to either competition.

Lets not kid ourselves here.We are going to get a shed load of dosh for the Qatar gig. And yes that's important but I wouldn't want us to pull out of any fixture. The league Cup is not a priority but it gives younger and fringe players a chance.Maybe the ELP should've tried a bit harder to find another date, but in the end it was us that said "Ok go ahead as planned".

It will be a great experience for the younger players and who knows it might just be the stage for one of them to show something special.
      Harrisimo

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #32: Nov 06, 2019 12:05:37 am
      Name all the main players in the cwc 21 man squad but leave 5-6 behind for the Villa game and then send them out for the final, problem solved.

I know and we only need about 7 players for the Villa game..Milner can fill the other 4 position...so he can..
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #33: Nov 06, 2019 12:13:47 am

If we lose to Villa then we lose to Villa, we actually go into a game with the odds firmly against us for a change, so if we win, what an achievement that would be for all the players that get to play that game.

Agree it will be better for those two to stay and play, just not sure how many Jürgen wants to take for the sake of depth/insurance in case of injury (or even rotating between the semi and final with league matches just before and after the trip to Qatar.

Also agree about those other leagues not allowing this, although of course there are fewer and fewer League Cups remaining with France ending theirs after this season. And yes, it will be a good experience for those young players. Minus the guys who have been part of those teams in the first two rounds, especially a veteran like Milner, it will be a very uphill trek for our  kids - but I'm interested to see it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #34: Nov 06, 2019 12:15:23 am

So 21 is the number they are allowed to take?

Are you saying for the first game only have 3 or 4 players on the bench? (I may be misunderstanding what you are saying).
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #35: Nov 06, 2019 01:10:29 am
      I think the club should have had the game after the world club cup.  Whether next day a week later.  It would have a given an opportunity for squad players.  If we were to concede to playing it a day after another game then surely there were better dates where all the players were in the country.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #36: Nov 06, 2019 02:36:04 am
      Don’t understand why a premier league game couldn’t be postponed to free up the schedule. Not unheard of over the Xmas period...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #37: Nov 06, 2019 05:00:49 am
      What a Bullshit decision from the "powers that be"...just ridiculous but this is Liverpool, so I fully expect us to win both games, no F***ing problems but I do love JD's idea about F***ing up everyone and sending the kids to the CWC...that would be hilarious.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #38: Nov 06, 2019 07:24:38 am
      I have an alternate team ready to play in the league cup. There you go all problem solved.

Credit to the guy in Reddit for this.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39: Nov 06, 2019 08:22:26 am
      Its a farce, but at least will give the majority of u23/u18s squad some great experience playing in a league cup quarter final.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40: Nov 06, 2019 08:26:57 am
      I know and we only need about 7 players for the Villa game..Milner can fill the other 4 position...so he can..

I was kind of thinking that the rest of the team can be filled out with the lads who played against Arsenal, but I assume you knew that! ;-)

In any case this seems like a good compromise and gives us a chance of beating Villa whilst still having a strong enough team for the semi final.

It would mean having a weak bench in both matches but you can only make 3 subs anyway so should be ok. most of our players are quite versatile anyway.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #41: Nov 06, 2019 08:52:43 am
      Great first line of the opening post. If you know, you know  ;D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #42: Nov 06, 2019 09:44:32 am
      The answer is really very simple.

The League Cup gives you £100k prise money & a Europa League place.

As far as I can tell,
      FIFA Club World Cup prize money: (and a shiny gold badge)
      1st $5m
      2nd $4m
      3rd $2.5m
      4th $2m

As we enter at the semi final stage, we're quids in with out kicking a ball, and there is no guarantee we will win the League Cup.

The League Cup was a good trophy to win, but now, and it pains me to say this, it's an inconvenience. It's the English League Cup, we're not in the English League, The PL teams should have the option of letting this one pass, especially the teams in European cups.
      Harrisimo

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #43: Nov 06, 2019 11:48:31 am
      9 games in December. In 25 days or so.The Qatar games are Wed 18th & Sat 21 if we get through to the final. We are playing Watford on Saturday 14th.

The logistics of it mean that the Boss has to pick the WC Semi final in ADVANCE  and the Viila game.
      Could play Villa on Tuesdee 17th.

It's obviously not beyond the boss to play a team similar to the team that beat Arsenal. And play a strong team for Wed 18th Semi final. Then decide who to fly out for the final on Sat 21st if we make it.As Heimdall suggested.

He's obviously not going to play a player on Tuesdee for the Villa game then again the next day for the Semi.

I'm happy..that's my December sorted..footie up to the eyeballs...can't wack it..
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #44: Nov 06, 2019 12:14:22 pm
      Jamie Carragher will assist Alex Inglethorpe as Alex will manage the League Cup match.

It's funny that I was actually thinking might we even register Carra for that game? Carra and Agger looked good last time I watched them.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #45: Nov 06, 2019 12:48:20 pm
      Great first line of the opening post. If you know, you know  ;D

Haha did not pick up on that. Disturbing high school memories :D

Quick Reply