Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

2 games, 2 cups

Read 20392 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: 2 games, 2 cups
      Reply #46: Nov 06, 2019 01:17:32 pm
      Can see Klopp managing both teams, 8 hour flight with Qatar 2 hours ahead.. he’ll make it..

I don’t see the Boss not being on the touch line for the Villa game.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #47: Nov 06, 2019 01:27:15 pm
      Okay so here's the team that faced Arsenal in the last round of the cup.

Kelleher, Williams, Milner, Gomez, van den Berg, Lallana, Keïta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Elliott, Origi, Brewster
      Subs: Adrián, Kane, Larouci, Clarkson, Koumetio, Jones, Chirivella

There's probably seven players in that side that Klopp would want to include in his World Club Cup squad.

Milner, Gomez, Lallana, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Origi, Adrian.

Adrian - can probably travel and use Lonergan in his place.

Down to six.

There's then an argument to be made about sending Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Origi to Qatar to prevent us looking too light, but we should be able to win a semi final without them?

And arguably without Oxlade-Chamberlain and Origi it's very hard to see even the remotest chance of us beating what will be a far more senior Villa team at the QF stage.

So I'd keep the League Cup 18/17 from the last round intact, send a strong first XI to Qatar and then send half a dozen of them to Qatar after the League Cup game.  Doing that should also stop any potential squad disharmony about who gets to fly out first etc, which 'could' create an issue for Klopp?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #48: Nov 06, 2019 01:28:57 pm
      Can see Klopp managing both teams, 8 hour flight with Qatar 2 hours ahead.. he’ll make it..

Did anyone get this fella's phone number in Madrid?

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #49: Nov 06, 2019 01:56:40 pm
      It's a situation that the club will have to manage IF they take the decision to give us the best chance of competing on both fronts.

We dont have too many divas in the squad which helps, but I would guess a lot of first team players would not be happy staying at home when there's a chance to shine on the world stage and all the extra things that can bring to a player in the modern game.

What would be best for the club and our chances of progressing would be 2 hybrid squads of first team and youth, but I think the club will take the strongest lineup possible to Qatar and fob the league cup off. That is what would be best for the individual players, and perhaps long term team harmony.

I read Klopp must be in Qatar for the 3 days leading up to the first game (I guess to do press and media stuff) so I cant see him being at Villa Park.

If we progressed beyond the quarters of the carabao I guess the question is do we really want to a 2 leg tie against a rival where we would feel compelled to play a strong team?
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2019 02:05:59 pm by fields of anny rd »
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #50: Nov 06, 2019 03:14:36 pm

He will manage both games. In this day and age, he could attend the first one and e-manage the second. Just as how these days red carded managers deliver instructions to the touchline. Leverage on technology. If he doesn't do that, I'm sure some will question why can't he, when a solution is already out there.

All these would be impossible during Shanks, Bob and King Kenny's days.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #51: Nov 06, 2019 03:21:08 pm
      The answer is really very simple.

The League Cup gives you £100k prise money & a Europa League place.

As far as I can tell,
      FIFA Club World Cup prize money: (and a shiny gold badge)
      1st $5m
      2nd $4m
      3rd $2.5m
      4th $2m

As we enter at the semi final stage, we're quids in with out kicking a ball, and there is no guarantee we will win the League Cup.

The League Cup was a good trophy to win, but now, and it pains me to say this, it's an inconvenience. It's the English League Cup, we're not in the English League, The PL teams should have the option of letting this one pass, especially the teams in European cups.

Sums it up. Give that league cup a miss. Money talks.

The option teams make is by voting through the players they field. While inducing a walkover is too strong a public statement or rebellion, we will just field our backup, youth and academy players.

That bunch of kids, maybe they'll return with a good result? Nobody knows.

Anyone knows for sure please tell me. I'll bet everything I have, on your for sure outcome.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #52: Nov 06, 2019 03:45:34 pm
      Klopp naming his team to face Villa...😂

https://twitter.com/anfieldrd96/status/1191789314847498240?s=21
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #53: Nov 06, 2019 04:02:40 pm
      Seems like FIFA and the EFL cannot get along. Why should we be paying for their disagreement?

LFC statement on Carabao Cup tie with Aston Villa
      Liverpool Football Club can confirm our Carabao Cup quarter-final tie at Aston Villa will take place on Tuesday December 17, 2019.

As a result, we will be utilising two playing squads simultaneously, with one squad participating in the FIFA Club World Cup in Qatar and another in the Carabao Cup.

The club would like to take this opportunity to underline that while this is not an ideal scenario, it is an outcome which was arrived at with the best interests of the competition, our fellow clubs and ourselves as the sole motivating factor.

We would like to thank the EFL for their efforts to accommodate us and we can confirm alternative dates were discussed, but ultimately none were considered suitable without compromising the scheduling of the competition itself or placing an undue strain on our playing staff.

Full ticket details for this fixture will follow on Liverpoolfc.com.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/372222-club-statement-carabao-cup-aston-villa
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #54: Nov 06, 2019 04:37:38 pm
      He will manage both games. In this day and age, he could attend the first one and e-manage the second. Just as how these days red carded managers deliver instructions to the touchline. Leverage on technology. If he doesn't do that, I'm sure some will question why can't he, when a solution is already out there.

All these would be impossible during Shanks, Bob and King Kenny's days.

The North Korean dictator managed his national team when they played at the World Cup in South Africa. He just sent brain waves to the touchline puppet manager (think this was after he shot an 18 for 18 holes at golf). So electronics not even necessary.
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2019 04:44:23 pm by Robby The Z »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #55: Nov 06, 2019 04:44:05 pm
      Okay so here's the team that faced Arsenal in the last round of the cup.

Kelleher, Williams, Milner, Gomez, van den Berg, Lallana, Keïta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Elliott, Origi, Brewster
      Subs: Adrián, Kane, Larouci, Clarkson, Koumetio, Jones, Chirivella

There's probably seven players in that side that Klopp would want to include in his World Club Cup squad.

Milner, Gomez, Lallana, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Origi, Adrian.

Adrian - can probably travel and use Lonergan in his place.

Down to six.

There's then an argument to be made about sending Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Origi to Qatar to prevent us looking too light, but we should be able to win a semi final without them?

And arguably without Oxlade-Chamberlain and Origi it's very hard to see even the remotest chance of us beating what will be a far more senior Villa team at the QF stage.

So I'd keep the League Cup 18/17 from the last round intact, send a strong first XI to Qatar and then send half a dozen of them to Qatar after the League Cup game.  Doing that should also stop any potential squad disharmony about who gets to fly out first etc, which 'could' create an issue for Klopp?

This is Anfield is reporting that CWC rules state all squad members have to be present in Qatar by the Monday after the Watford match (16th) - so that would leave out the idea of flying players in after the League Cup match. I don't see a citation for this so I don't know if it is correct.

But I really don't think any senior players will stay back - they will all go to Qatar and stay with the squad. Maybe a couple of kids as well just to cover all scenarios (although I get it is  more valuable to stay back and play against Villa than to go to Qatar and not even dress for the match).

The respective squads we can debate all day, but I DO think we would take 3 goalkeepers to Qatar as a contingency. Lonergan would likely go and Kelleher would stay and play.
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2019 09:08:48 pm by Robby The Z »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #56: Nov 06, 2019 06:33:19 pm
      Can't we field a team of ringers, ask the blueshite if they've got 11 players who want to play in a big cup match?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #57: Nov 06, 2019 07:39:31 pm
      Can't we field a team of ringers, ask the blueshite if they've got 11 players who want to play in a big cup match?

😂

Do we take the mantle as the ‘ New Harlem Globe Trotters’...

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #58: Nov 06, 2019 08:07:20 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #59: Nov 06, 2019 09:11:30 pm
      😂

Do we take the mantle as the ‘ New Harlem Globe Trotters’...

How about an LFC Reds Forum All-Star XI?! Are you a natural left-footer or right?

I guess dunlop liddell shankly would have to be our manager..

Not sure about the rest of the lineup but billythered MUST be a touch-tackling center half.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #60: Nov 07, 2019 01:19:09 am
      This is Anfield is reporting that CWC rules state all squad members have to be present in Qatar by the Monday after the Watford match (16th) - so that would leave out the idea of flying players in after the League Cup match. I don't see a citation for this so I don't know if it is correct.

But I really don't think any senior players will stay back - they will all go to Qatar and stay with the squad. Maybe a couple of kids as well just to cover all scenarios (although I get it is  more valuable to stay back and play against Villa than to go to Qatar and not even dress for the match).

The respective squads we can debate all day, but I DO think we would take 3 goalkeepers to Qatar as a contingency. Lonergan would likely go and Kelleher would stay and play.

Regulations say the final squad must be 23 players drawn from the provisional lists of players of each club
      and those players and managers, coaches, officials must all submit a legally valid passport and photo before the Fifa Club World Cup starts.Any player etc who does not will not recieve official accreditation and won't be allowed to take part.

So I assume the squad etc once settled in etc will then submit proof of identity to get accreditation. Might need special permission from Fifa to fly players in after the Semi final.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #61: Nov 07, 2019 10:07:54 am
      How about an LFC Reds Forum All-Star XI?! Are you a natural left-footer or right?

I guess dunlop liddell shankly would have to be our manager..

Not sure about the rest of the lineup but billythered MUST be a touch-tackling center half.

I'll be your no nonsense manager, ready to bench anyone who underperforms.

Oh DLS is manager. I'd like to be Michael Edwards then. Trading off underperformers. :aaliverpool2xt1:
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #62: Nov 07, 2019 01:31:53 pm
      These rules and regs regarding players getting fully accredited for the CWC are defititely a bar to the club playing players against Villa and then flying them out for the final on the Saturday.

You would think FIFA might show a bit of flexibility in the circumstances.Or that the EPL might advise Fifa that no other date could be found for the Villa game and request they give us permission to fly players out after the semi final of the CWC.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #63: Nov 07, 2019 02:27:26 pm
      I'll be your no nonsense manager, ready to bench anyone who underperforms.

Oh DLS is manager. I'd like to be Michael Edwards then. Trading off underperformers. :aaliverpool2xt1:

Fail to score in one match - you're benched. Fail to score from the bench in game 2, you're sold to Mongolia. But if you are sold for less than 50 million, that's bad business, just like when a day goes by that you don't buy anybody famous.
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #64: Nov 07, 2019 04:11:04 pm
      I might be alone but don't give a f**k about this cwc, pointless competition.

Yeah, I'll be honest, wasn't even aware this competition existed until recently ;D

When you have a cup where almost all of the competition doesn't even start the tournament, it isn't much of a competition ;D.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #65: Nov 07, 2019 05:04:33 pm
      Yeah, I'll be honest, wasn't even aware this competition existed until recently ;D

When you have a cup where almost all of the competition doesn't even start the tournament, it isn't much of a competition ;D.

Used to be the one-game Intercontinental "Cup" with just the European and South American champion. Didn't pretend any of those other teams really had a chance. Seems like it was always in Japan, so still a wrinkle in the crowded schedule.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #66: Nov 07, 2019 11:07:33 pm
      2 games, 2 cups, 2 WINS.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #67: Nov 08, 2019 01:41:32 pm
      Obviously the club knew these games were on the fixture list. 5 tournaments with our squad is pushing it. Not adding to the squad could become an issue. I was surprised we didn't.But we can't argue given our current position - top + almost through to C/L knockout stage.Still in League cup. I'd still like to see a move made in the window. Long season etc.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #68: Nov 08, 2019 03:53:18 pm
      We might be looking at 33 separate starters in the 3 games. I checked and the squad for the CWC is 23 players. That will be two for each position and a third goalkeeper. Doesn't mean Klopp full make 11 changes from the semi to the final but I can see him doing it.

Quick Reply