Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

2 games, 2 cups

Read 20405 times
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Re: 2 games, 2 cups
      Reply #69: Nov 09, 2019 03:00:35 am
      I would give up both cups in exchange for 3 points this sunday
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #70: Nov 09, 2019 09:47:32 am

You’d give up two bits of silverware when we will still be top regardless of the outcome vs City, with well over half the season to play. 3 points on Sunday guarantees nothing.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #71: Nov 09, 2019 12:07:29 pm
      You’d give up two bits of silverware when we will still be top regardless of the outcome vs City, with well over half the season to play. 3 points on Sunday guarantees nothing.

We aren't in the final of thhe caraboa cup
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #72: Nov 09, 2019 12:16:48 pm
      We aren't in the final of thhe caraboa cup

Did I say we were? But your happy to forgo 2 competitions for the sake of 3 points so early in the season.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #73: Nov 09, 2019 12:20:45 pm
      Did I say we were? But your happy to forgo 2 competitions for the sake of 3 points so early in the season.

A 9 point lead even now is the equivalent of being 3-0 up against Palace at half time. Just because city brought it back last time doesn't mean it will always happen.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #74: Nov 09, 2019 01:08:04 pm

You should know football doesn't work like that. Yes we can prioritise, but we can't switch it on at will. I know your point is the League for us has almost become the holy grail as we should be prepered to forgo everything to get to that pinnacle. But football isn't instant oven ready flick of a switch stuff.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #75: Nov 09, 2019 01:22:30 pm
      A 9 point lead even now is the equivalent of being 3-0 up against Palace at half time. Just because city brought it back last time doesn't mean it will always happen.

Yeah and look what happened, we lost focus and finished 3-3 so that’s a poor thing to try and justify your point with. Only a fool would assume the title will be decided on Sunday if we get the win because we will drop more points this season and City will go on another long winning run. 9 points is great but means nothing. A mater of weeks ago we were 8 clear, then it dropped to 6, last week it was very nearly 4 and come Sunday there’s a chance it could be down to 3. 9 point gap can be turned around very quickly.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #76: Nov 09, 2019 01:35:33 pm
      You should know football doesn't work like that. Yes we can prioritise, but we can't switch it on at will. I know your point is the League for us has almost become the holy grail as we should be prepered to forgo everything to get to that pinnacle. But football isn't instant oven ready flick of a switch stuff.

Did you honestly believe that I think football works that way?

I'm talking a hypothetical scenario
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #77: Nov 09, 2019 01:36:21 pm
      Yeah and look what happened, we lost focus and finished 3-3 so that’s a poor thing to try and justify your point with. Only a fool would assume the title will be decided on Sunday if we get the win because we will drop more points this season and City will go on another long winning run. 9 points is great but means nothing. A mater of weeks ago we were 8 clear, then it dropped to 6, last week it was very nearly 4 and come Sunday there’s a chance it could be down to 3. 9 point gap can be turned around very quickly.

A 9 point gap is better than a 6 point. Therefore I'd take it over 2 cups that more than likely won't be even in existence in 10 yrs
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #78: Nov 09, 2019 01:38:52 pm

That's right and you can't isolate the league to the exemption of every other, not in a football or financial sense. You get 3 points max for every game and nothing will be decided tomorrow.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #79: Nov 09, 2019 08:39:29 pm
      Quote from billythered
      Greedy f***in bas**rds getting their cake and eating it with scant disregard to the health of the players,  ,this could set precedent for the future where authorities dictate that clubs have big enough squads to cover two matches,
      We are already f***in swamped by far too many games both domestically and internationally, 

Its clear and obvious corporate wealth comes before player's health and the only people who will pay consequences apart from injured players are the fans who once again are given no consideration by the suits in charge.  Kunts  ! !

V - very
      A - Avaricious
      R - Rats

YNWA

I don't know what the VAR link is, or indeed what competition you're angry about, but if it's the WCC, it is compulsory for teams who win the European Cup to play the WCC. And who amongst us, does not want to win the European Cup?

If it's the League Cup, we know what the story is. The FA refuse to assist their own clubs. Even after Hillsborough, they were contacting us within 48 hours of the postponement demanding to know, when we were going to play the semi final. We told them to shove it until we were ready, and if they didn't like it, they could put Forest in the final.

Quote from Harrisimo
      9 games in December. In 25 days or so.The Qatar games are Wed 18th & Sat 21 if we get through to the final. We are playing Watford on Saturday 14th.

I'm happy..that's my December sorted..footie up to the eyeballs...can't wack it..

When was it ever any different? December is rush hour in English football, as many games as possible for every club. I suppose this is what Beckenbauer meant when he said English football "robs you of energy". But still they come from all over the world to play it and watch it, knowing full well they have no Christmas. 

Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Only a fool would assume the title will be decided on Sunday if we get the win because we will drop more points this season and City will go on another long winning run. 9 points is great but means nothing. A mater of weeks ago we were 8 clear, then it dropped to 6, last week it was very nearly 4 and come Sunday there’s a chance it could be down to 3. 9 point gap can be turned around very quickly.

A win tomorrow will give us an 8 point gap at the top, just as we had for the last international break. I don't think anyone sensible will say the league is over, but by contrast, if we were 8 points behind by now, everyone would.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #80: Nov 10, 2019 03:00:08 pm
      Did you honestly believe that I think football works that way?

I'm talking a hypothetical scenario

Wellcome back Ben...take your point..
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #81: Nov 10, 2019 03:44:40 pm
      Let's hope it's 9 points by tonight
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #82: Nov 10, 2019 10:02:36 pm
      Let's hope it's 9 points by tonight

It's 8.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #83: Nov 18, 2019 09:59:38 pm
      Do we know if Klopp will be in the dug out for the league cup at Villa?
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #84: Nov 18, 2019 10:23:10 pm
      Do we know if Klopp will be in the dug out for the league cup at Villa?

Thought Alex Inglethorpe, the academy director, was doing it. Some talk or press reports that Carragher was going to assist but I don't know if that's been confirmed.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #85: Nov 18, 2019 11:35:36 pm
      Thought Alex Inglethorpe, the academy director, was doing it. Some talk or press reports that Carragher was going to assist but I don't know if that's been confirmed.

Would be surprised if Carra is involved, surely it's going to be parts of the actual coaching team rather than an ex-player who is now a pundit. Would be a silly move IMO.

Unless I've completely missed something and he has been involved as a coach?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #86: Nov 19, 2019 12:21:25 am
      Would be surprised if Carra is involved, surely it's going to be parts of the actual coaching team rather than an ex-player who is now a pundit. Would be a silly move IMO.

No, you are right. The club faces some unusual circumstances with this one but they won't be treating it like a carnival show. It's basically the U23s and U18s that will play so I would expect Neil Critchley and Barry Lewtas to manage the squad, but Inglethorpe could be involved in the dugout I guess.  No reason I see to think Jamie Carragher would be involved as, as you say, he's not on the staff.

Too far out to do any more than guess, but I suspect Brewster and Hoever will be in Qatar to finish out the 23-man squad for the CWC. Minus that I might give our young ones a bit more of a chance to pull off the upset, but with those two gone we start to dip down pretty deep into the U18s.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #87: Nov 20, 2019 05:49:19 am

Yeah was all bollocks that
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #88: Nov 20, 2019 09:12:09 am
      Under Klopp, nothing is seemingly impossible. Who bet against the Red men lifting both trophies !
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #89: Nov 20, 2019 11:50:56 am
      Under Klopp, nothing is seemingly impossible. Who bet against the Red men lifting both trophies !

Nothing is impossible, but if Villa were anything over 1/2 then a lot I think a lot of neutral punters would bet against us.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #90: Nov 20, 2019 12:01:09 pm

League Cup chances will be very slim, I think the team which will play against Villa will be even younger & less experienced than the Arsenal side & Villa Park has always been a tough place to go.

If that side does somehow manage to get past Villa, Klopp then faces the question of loyalty to the kids - we may draw Man City in the Semi Final. Do you stick with the young lads & fringe players who have performed exceptionally well to get you into the position you're in? Or do you drop them all in favour of the first team who haven't kicked a ball so far in the competition? Obviously the black and white choice would be to play your strongest team, but Klopp has always struck me as a manager who values loyalty & I could easily see him awarding the fringe players with a semi final tie if they do manage to make it past Villa
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #91: Nov 20, 2019 01:23:48 pm
      League Cup chances will be very slim, I think the team which will play against Villa will be even younger & less experienced than the Arsenal side & Villa Park has always been a tough place to go.

If that side does somehow manage to get past Villa, Klopp then faces the question of loyalty to the kids - we may draw Man City in the Semi Final. Do you stick with the young lads & fringe players who have performed exceptionally well to get you into the position you're in? Or do you drop them all in favour of the first team who haven't kicked a ball so far in the competition? Obviously the black and white choice would be to play your strongest team, but Klopp has always struck me as a manager who values loyalty & I could easily see him awarding the fringe players with a semi final tie if they do manage to make it past Villa

Very interesting scenario indeed, not many managers in the recent past, to my mind, have been in this position. Klopp seemingly "snookered" by his players success !

Quick Reply